⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Mad Men

Damn this show got me hooked!

I haven't been watching any movies or any other TV. Whenever I get the chance to sit down the only thing I want to do is sit down and see what the boys and girls are up to at Sterling Cooper. Well now it's Sterling Cooper Draper Price (or something else, I'm not caught up yet). And for the record the answer is yes. My life is that dull. I live vicariously through these larger than life characters. So I am glad that I finally got that bitch Betty out of my life, but fuck Henry Francis. And Sally is one the cutest child actresses I've ever seen.

I'm midway through season 4 now. Just watched the 46th episode and I don't really have any complaints about the show thus far.

This isn't about the show per se, but are there eye drops or some kind of makeup they use to make the actors look drunk. Jon Hamm looks half in the bag most of the episodes lately and he's good acting aside part of it is the glazed look he has a lot. I was just wondering what they use to create that effect.

Also, I'm curious, but is this show based (or loosely based) on any real life people or ad agencies? They mention a lot of big name companies and obviously some agency was doing their advertising at the time. Anyone know how much, if any, of this is true?

I'm all caught up, even with last nights episode. What a great show! Surprised there isn't more discussion on here about it.

Does anyone else have a man crush on Don Draper? I wish I could wear a fedora even half as cool as him

If I was married to Alison Brie I wouldn't be needing hookers.

That was a good episode. Based on the period it took place in, what might have been that long-lasting stimulant they were given?

^One of the 'drines, probably. Dexedrine, Benzedrene, Methedrine. A mildly educated guess....
I liked Cosgrove's tap dance performance and Don running, sliding through the doorways.

For me, the hallmark of whether a show nailed a particular drugs effects or not is whether it makes me slightly ill to watch it or not.
Some of their behavior was a bit over the top, but Don tweeking in his office made me feel mildly sick with memories of 4-5 day runs. So, I give the episode a thumbs up, I guess.

what might have been that long-lasting stimulant they were given?

Methedrine (methamphetamine) injection is the most likely candidate, as this was pretty popular during the period (and it's pretty likely that JFK received such as well). However, the duration of the compound (3 days) and level of analgesia it was shown to produce (rendering one immune to being pierced by an exacto blade) are implausible. Desoxypipradrol might have more closely matched the effects shown in the program, but it was not in use at that point (though it had been invented).
Given how unrealistic Sterling's LSD trip was, I don't really watch this show for its portrayal of the effects of recreational drugs. It has other merits. :p

ebola

I've been a fan of this show since the beginning. The drug use is over the top but this is for the general public who haven't been on a 5 day run on meth, so I forgive the dramatics. I hope the show goes on to the early 70's where everybody's doing Quaaludes. I agree with the opinions on the last show. It left me feeling edgy and kinda irritable. I think a show that makes me feel anything at all merits kudos in my book. Hate: Joan, Betty, Pete. Dislike: Peggy and getting to dislike Don

Given how unrealistic Sterling's LSD trip was, I don't really watch this show for its portrayal of the effects of recreational drugs. It has other merits.

I don't think anyone said they watch Mad Men to observe their take on drugs effects.
It's a fine show, besides. I always find it interesting when shows attempt to mimick the administration/effects/aftereffects of a particular drug.
It's amazing how far off some otherwise great shows end up. See Breaking Bad's depection of meth use.
It has little to do with the overall product. It's a observation on a particular episode. Broad brushes and all that....

Given how unrealistic Sterling's LSD trip was, I don't really watch this show for its portrayal of the effects of recreational drugs. It has other merits. :p

ebola

What was unrealistic about it? The part where he "saw" himself playing on the 1919 Cubs team? I thought it seemed pretty realistic compared to most TV/movie interpretations of LSD.

On this weeks episode didn't the doctor say the stimulant was his own creation? It could have been more than one substance.

^Wasn't that kind of the classic line for doctors administering energy shots? Throw in a handful of vitamins, some various oddments, and a large dose of amphetamine and call it a proprietary blend, their own miracle cure?
Certainly they could and in some cases had to have contained more than one psychoactive substance.
Does sound like in most cases declaring the contents of the shot as their own creation and reciting off its "good for you" ingredients was a way to draw the "patients" mind away from any realization that they were about to be injected with a large dose of amphetamine.

What was unrealistic about it? The part where he "saw" himself playing on the 1919 Cubs team?

Very much so, but also where all the sensory effects shown were abject hallucinations more typical of deliriants. I guess they did as good a job with the mental effects as they could have without revealing internal monologue.

On this weeks episode didn't the doctor say the stimulant was his own creation? It could have been more than one substance.

No, he said that it was a "proprietary blend" including a "minor stimulant". During this period, this was code for vitamins + some sort of amphetamine preparation. But really, there was no common combination of stimulants in use during that period that could have lasted 3 days.

ebola

Very much so, but also where all the sensory effects shown were abject hallucinations more typical of deliriants. I guess they did as good a job with the mental effects as they could have without revealing internal monologue.

No, he said that it was a "proprietary blend" including a "minor stimulant". During this period, this was code for vitamins + some sort of amphetamine preparation. But really, there was no common combination of stimulants in use during that period that could have lasted 3 days.

ebola

I forgot, was everybody who took the shot up for 3 days, or just Don?

Because it could be that Don simply had something of a psychotic break/manic episode precipitated by the large dose of amphetamines. It would seem that some doctor giving a bunch of people a shot intended to keep them up for 3 days in a highly corporate office setting would be something of a plot hole. It doesn't make any damn sense, unless Don simply happened to stay up longer than anyone else due to going crazy.

you know what is keeping me from even trying to get into this show?

the promos that are all filled with dubstep. who the fuck decided this? i mean fucking christ. it makes me seriously doubt that this show can be trusted. not just the dubstep, but it's a show about ad men in the 60s and dub step. it really kills me. sorry mad men. everyone tells me how awesome this show is, but i just can't. blame your ad men.

I don't think I've ever seen any of the previews that you're talking about.

There isn't much music in the show, but when they include a song it's period appropriate and usually fits well in the scene.

Hahahaha...the music is sufficiently incongruent with the clip that it's pretty amusing...

ebola

"Lee Garner Jr. once made me cup his balls!"

Roger's delivery was great. Last episode was possibly the funniest episode in all of Mad Men.

I've always thought this show was way overhyped, last week I finally sat down and watched a full episode. I've been hooked. Masterpiece. Hbo is kicking themselves for turning it down

80percent of the show is filmed in LA. Drapper house is actually in Pasadena.
The sterling office is about 3blocks from my buddies house

Last edited: