• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

There is no real point in life.

Lame? Geez. Good thing i didnt post what i wanted to. Im cynical bc life has made me that way but i squeeze a lot of joy and hapiness out if this cynical attitude. I think im gonna start my own thread. I truly truly believe there is heaven and hell and we are children of God. But thats gonna ruffle feathers and i dont wish to do that. I was born and raised Catholic and of course i left and went to Buddhisim and since my moms death late last year im back in the church. Spirituality helps my mind and soul and gets me away from the amino acid thing. Everything has to make sense to me and life doesnt but througout my struggles ive found peace and hapiness. My point to life is still the same, do good and i will be rewarded by heaven and see my mom again. Her death rocked me and turned my into a complete cynic but change is gonna come whether we like it or not. This might contridict my post from last night bc i feel different. I slept well and prayed when i woke up and got on here and this prob isnt the right thread for me. Im a ball of mess and have no idea what an unlame response to this question there is but ill keep moving forward and all will be revealed at the time of my death. Then i cant post it, lol. Yall have fun trying to have a conversation about this diffucult topic. It was interesting but im out. Good luck to all of you!!

Intelligent design?

No, my beliefs hardly compare to intelligent design because intelligence is an emergent property arising from a system. The design of existence is beyond intelligence. Intelligence processes information, my god is all information. I am certainly not claiming conscious intent. Thats just more anthropomorphism. What I am saying is quite simple. I am saying that everything that happens in this world, happens because of the inherent properties of cosmic vacuum energy, or something to that effect. How ever the world came to be, it obviously had to have the potential. did this planet clump together by accident? Or due to the nature of gravity?

by lame I meant unconvincingly feeble. Its just my opinion of the perspective and I am not making judgements about your character, but rather your state of mind. And, sorry if I hit the nail on the head, but even more sorry that you have solid justification for that state. I suggest that you keep your beliefs positive, but thats just part of who I am. However you choose to look at it, you will still be just as human as anyone else. Its not such a bad thing to be human, at least not in my eyes.

I hear ya and i will. So much going on in my life i had no buisness posting on such a thread. Even though theres negativity all around me i will stay positive. Thanks turkalurk!!

I hear ya and i will. So much going on in my life i had no buisness posting on such a thread. Even though theres negativity all around me i will stay positive. Thanks turkalurk!!

Its therapeutic to write things that are an expression of your current emotional state, so I would say you had every business writing what you wrote. Regardless of how I feel about that particular perpective, I did enjoy and value the way you expressed yourself.

Thank you. Ive been writing a lot lately. My brain feels like a spider web and i usually write songs but havent been able to do that. My mental state is not good right now mostly cause i miss my mom and the enviornment i live in. Luckily i have a great Dr i see tomorrow. Shes awesome and i need to report my increasing depression. But yeah, just start wrinting everything inside of me and itvhas been very helpful. I appreciate your last post. You seem very thoughtful and intellegant. If you ever wanna tell mevyour perspective on this thread, just message or post or whatever. Thanks again and wish me luck

The inherent properties of nature allowed the potential for life to manifest itself. Whether it came to be thru chemical evolution of molecules or any other random process, doesn't make it accidental, nor purposeful. Its just the way of Nature. Do we think of gravity as an accident? Is the formation of stars an accident? An incident, yes, but no accident. A potentiality being actualized.

very fucking well put. most people seem to insist on adding the notion of purpose or accident to everything and fail to see that those are just human notions. i always fail to explain them that it is neither.

Turk seems to be substantially calmer... almost happier. I like.

“A nihilist is a man who judges of the world as it is that it ought not to be, and of the world as it ought to be that it does not exist”
— Friedrich Nietzsche

OP.

"Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts." -Sigmund Freud.

Yet flowers are still living. They have the inability to appoint their purpose subjectively, so maybe the point of life is to do exactly that. Make one.

OP, I ask you the same question I ask everyone who says what you say: What would a real point in life look like to you? In a hypothetical world where all things were equally possible, what would or could qualify as an indicator of your life's point? What I'm getting at is, what exactly are you negating? I mean this both as a rhetorical question and one worth trying to answer.

I have a perverse fascination with the old philosophical chestnut of "What is the meaning of life?" and "What is my life's purpose?". I have tried in vain to see things from the perspective of the majority of people who've responded to this thread. Not for lack of trying, I find neither liberation nor empowerment in nihilism or any similar philosophy, at least the way most philosophers with a Western intellectual background have worded it. I have found again and again that I am at my best, meaning best motivated to get the most out of my life and be a light to others, when I entertain the notion that I am here living the life I am now as some part of greater purpose or plan. I do not know what that plan is or who the planner is, but I don't need to know and it may not be for me to know, at least not yet. Therefore I won't worry about it, and just be the best MyDoorsAreOpen I know how to be. (Same end, different pathway? Hmm...)

This is a pretty nice philosophy and does everyone a bit of good IMO. So why not? I see no way to know if there is a point or meaning to existence. I do see a lot of suffering however so anything that lessons that would be a plus in my book. Personally I believe in what I call "enlightened hedonism". Why I say enlightened is because I believe once we take the time to deeply grok what truly makes us the most happy in the short and long term it will almost always benefit others also.

I think Nixiams quote sums it up for me. Certinatly we are no mistake as the stars or niagra falls. For someone who suffers from mental illness and addiction im very pestimistic. I think there is a point to life but its very customized to each person. Some people find their calling and others never find anything and die alone. I think hatd work and luck have huge rolls in that. But, i fing in my interactions with other people, the ones who believe in a point to life are much happier than say me whos like who gives a shit. That quote was awesome. Thank you!!

I think there is a point to life. Its to stay alive. Violence, car wrecks, suicide, and anything else that could take you we avoid these things. Like our brave troops overseas. They stay alive if they can and keep their brothers alive. So many shitty things in this world that could take us and we resist. The core point to life, stay alive!

Look at how little sense you make, just think logically: Life ends in death. So death seems to be the ultimate purpose of life because it's what we observe, that's what's happening to it.

"Purpose" is a neo-barbaric term of primitive tribes that split the phrase "has a USE" into two, "has a USE" and "has a PURPOSE", to designate natural things that have a use, and man made tools that have a purpose, or, made by MAN for something or to do something. For example, what is the purpose of a wheel? It's to turn. Because that why MAN made it round, so it can turn.

The concept of purpose all revolved around MAN. You take away that MAN and you no longer have a purpose, because purpose comes with man, man makes purpose, it's an invention! To accept the notion that a man has a purpose, you must accept that man was made by another man for a purpose, and that other man had that purpose in mind before making him, and thus is superior to that man, so it's no longer a man: An illogical twist. So it cannot be, unless you believe in God.

You ever get your amps bud?

I wouldn't say that you seem illogical in you're first statement Ksa, but I disagree. Just because life ends in death does not mean it is the purpose or the "point". If that were the case, why would we even exist at all? Just to die? Just to achieve not existing? If death is the purpose, are we only alive to validate the not/no longer existing after death (if there is an absence of afterlife)?

Death isn't a purpose, it's a consequence. In the same sense that gravity is a consequence of the universe, death is a consequence of being.

I wouldn't try to get caught in an infinite regression paradoxical semantical argument, it just gets confusing.

I think the concept of purpose is less revolved around man and more around nature. For someone to say it is just a product of man, and without man purpose is mute and void seems just a bit arrogant. Maybe that isn't the right word, more or less.

Nature created man, therefore nature indrectly dictates actual purpose over man, but not subjective, self appointed purpose.

I liked your including the definition of purpose though, that was neat.

Fuck last post.

Last edited:
^ It's true but you can twist it the way you want and say that a wheel turning is a consequence of it being round but at the end of the day its purpose is to turn.

If you look at life as a whole, the only common denominator is death, otherwise, between you and a fish living in a water depth of 8,000 feet, there is no common point, nothing makes you like the fish, other than the fact that both of you folks are dying.

All the problems of the world arise from man confusing "nature made" with "man made". Including religion:

Man built a house from wood and stone. Then, that man LOOKED AT THE HOUSE, saying, I built this house. Then, that same man looked at the forest, at the rivers, at the sky and asked "who built this?". So suddenly the confusion arised, because that man thought, this house that I HAVE BUILT, would not exist otherwise, so who built the world (who would not exist otherwise either). Failing to realize that the world, and even himself, the MAN, had built themselves, without help nor intervention, and that HE, the MAN, was the first creation, aware of creation.

Then he became preoccupied with which part of creation that was, was it the beginning, the end, the middle, the upper the lower, with who created what...rather than focusing on the fact that he was creation noticing creation. It is indeed the perfect occasion to confuse everything and our society has not missed a single trap that could have gotten them confused. Fell in them all, one by one.

How hard is it to stop there? That you are creation noticing creation? No need to make a God story also, because you are scared to notice. Just notice...and then die. Simple. Why look for more? There is nothing else. Just noticing and dying. It's what everybody's been doing since day one...noticing and dying. If you have trouble accepting "death" as the ultimate purpose, then the best compromise I can think of is that: The purpose of life is to notice and die.

Everything else is a fabrication, a concoction, an interpolation: It is a man made innovation! The purpose is to succeed in your career and to do good deeds. Says who?

The other confusion is between what a man IS and what HE DOES. "I am a lawyer", so here the daily activity of that man is confused with his identity, failing to notice he could have chosen any other profession while still being the same person:

This also comes from primitive Indian tribes where names were given as a function of what a man did, like Ghisu FastAxe, he was named that way because he was a quick handler of axes so his identity was confused with his doings. You can say well, a 35 y.o. lawyer is a different person from himself when he was 3 y.o., because they have nothing in common. Sure but, the reason why the lawyer doesn't touch a hot plate anymore, is because he did so when he was 3 and got burned. So it had to be the same person, WITHOUT any changes. The SAME.

You understand who you are when you say, I, the 35 y.o. lawyer and I, the 3 y.o. touching hot plates and getting burned, is one. Not two. It's the same thing, without a single difference. Then you understand the I, you understand who you are, and you are happy to just notice and die, because it's how it should be. Every animal is capable of doing it except human beings, because they think instead of noticing.

Last edited:
A lot of people say procreation is the "purpose" of life. The survival drives all seem to be in service towards procreation. Once that has been accomplished in our prime entropy takes over and we become food for the next living thing. Not something fun to contemplate if you are a purpose seeking animal with delusions of grandeur.

^ It's true but you can twist it the way you want and say that a wheel turning is a consequence of it being round but at the end of the day its purpose is to turn.

If you look at life as a whole, the only common denominator is death, otherwise, between you and a fish living in a water depth of 8,000 feet, there is no common point, nothing makes you like the fish, other than the fact that both of you folks are dying.

When the wheel was desgned, it's purpose was to turn. True.

But when people were designed, be it God or nature, our purpose was to die? I don't think comparing these two is reasonable.

We more or less HAVE to die to keep things sustainable, but if nature was a concious being it wouldn't make sense to create something only to destroy it. Less the action of no longer existing is pleasureable. If our purpose was not existing, it wouldn't make sense for us to exist period.

Wheels cannot appoint their own purpose, whereas we can. If we are talking strictly about natures plan, I still say death is just a consequence, since existence would make no sense if death was the sole purpose.

Also, I think that there's a difference between point and purpose.

A person can have a purpose (by nature), but they can make their own point (by man).

State of being makes us like the fish, as well as consequential death.

I would venture to say that guessing nature's purpse is little more than futile.

EDIT: But guessing point of man is silly since we make our own point, however nature makes our purpose (which I disagree is solely death).

Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I think life is it's own purpose. I mean, the word purpose would not realy refer to anything, unless there would be things like desire, pain, etc. Everything i think i know, can be easily become extremely uncertain with just a little cartesian doubt. There are few things that i'm so sure of though, as my will to live, the feelings i have, and my fears and desires. No matter what you think of them, these feelings do exist, and they're too powerfull to be reasoned away or to be ignored. These feelings define us, make us who we are. We simply have to deal with them. So there you have it...purpose.