• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

There is no real point in life.

The real point in life is for every individual to come up with a point for their life in an otherwise pointless existence.

So you start with a dot..and extend..this is your emotions and thoughts...if you extend it far enough you get to experience the joy of infinity..and if you extend it to the point of end..all things should be fulfilled thus..and so you are sharply experiencing reality..and this can lead to a sojourn or two..you can analyze your reality and make it into poetry which would be symbolizing your reality and taking it as a metaphor..you could call yourself dull..but only to the point of the bulks head end..or the bitter water drop of the felt ink pen..or ball point thereof..there is lots that you are..and there are a million things you can say about yourself and your world through metaphor..and metaphysical analysis..

So we take a point and extend it...there you have meaning..which is the abusal of a witch..and the atonement is oneness..inside and out is the knot..and the relation is verbal wave gravity..which is the forces of existence...how can you say it has no meaning..when you enchant people with your wicked tongue..the spawn of Satan..or anything else..we have to live together..and we all feel fear sometime..but we will get over it as a Messiah..which is the religion we seek..and you seek...you are real..in the world..and universe..existential..as existence..conscious..and one with the universe...you must understand that what you do and type on a forum means you are giving your life purpose..and therefore the purpose is shared with other people..from which is the grayest nutrient of the firmament of the tree of life..which is an electron..just buzzing around..toward the noble capital is an atom..and the neutron is seen in the rings of a tree...which is why things form the way they do..upwards and outwards is our motion..and we are self contained in caps called spheres of motion..which are the planets..and the Birds and the Trees are all part of one philosophy

I like your poetry.

OP is on to something here. With every argument taken in to consideration our time here on this watery rock in finite. At some point in the future the sun will become a red giant star and that will be it for all of us. It will incinerate the earth like a blade of grass in a raging forest fire. Everything we've accomplished, built, discovered, learned, taught, will all be gone like we never even existed. And the galaxy we live in will continue on like nothing ever happened. So yeah, there really is no point. Party like a rock star, use up them fossil fuels and live like it's your last day, because it just might be.

Everything we've accomplished, built, discovered, learned, taught, will all be gone like we never even existed.

I always liked the Buddhist practice of creating intricate sand mandalas for weeks and then destroying it afterwards to signify the impermanence of life.

OP is on to something here. With every argument taken in to consideration our time here on this watery rock in finite. At some point in the future the sun will become a red giant star and that will be it for all of us. It will incinerate the earth like a blade of grass in a raging forest fire. Everything we've accomplished, built, discovered, learned, taught, will all be gone like we never even existed. And the galaxy we live in will continue on like nothing ever happened. So yeah, there really is no point. Party like a rock star, use up them fossil fuels and live like it's your last day, because it just might be.

We have quite a few millions of years of Sun left. Other forms of extinction are way more likely, especially if we continue to disregard current environmental issues. It would be a miracle if we lasted until the Sun's death.

We exist to change the status quo. You are just a concept furthering the order of previous abstractions.

The universe > Forces > Life > Cultural Composition > You

The universe acts much like a mind with time being the depth of a thought. As complexity increases the forces get more and more sophisticated and multifaceted, but everything always inherits the will of the abstraction behind it.

You do live to please religious figures, but not in the way you think. You serve the higher good every time you take a breath, please yourself, or put out energy. Culture and life model certain structures and there are certain "molds" that life tries to fit into. You have a lot less control than you think you do and your happiness isn't really yours, it was granted to you for conforming.

Looks like everyone has an opinion based on what? Nothing from what I've seen so here's mine. Life is a bad deal for all animals with a nervous system. We are here to serve evolution which has no purpose and most of that servitude involves physical or mental suffering. We are meat puppets and will soon go extinct no matter what monuments to our "superiority" we built to glorify ourselves and our make believe gods. It's just the decline of another empire in the same ways the others have passed. And we never get to know anything about anything. It's guesses all the way down and our guesses are almost always based on a need to comfort ourselves from the harsh reality of existence.

So who's going to tell us all next what the truth is? I can't wait to hear all about it.

Looks like everyone has an opinion based on what? Nothing from what I've seen so here's mine. Life is a bad deal for all animals with a nervous system. We are here to serve evolution which has no purpose and most of that servitude involves physical or mental suffering. We are meat puppets and will soon go extinct no matter what monuments to our "superiority" we built to glorify ourselves and our make believe gods. It's just the decline of another empire in the same ways the others have passed. And we never get to know anything about anything. It's guesses all the way down and our guesses are almost always based on a need to comfort ourselves from the harsh reality of existence.

So who's going to tell us all next what the truth is? I can't wait to hear all about it.

See, the way I see it, the experience of life is itself the purpose or the goal. The alternative is nonexistence. Is nothing whatsoever preferable to something, even if that something involves suffering? Is nothing even possible? I may be wrong, but to me awareness is a property of the universe. So it's either exist in a void of awareness of nothingness, or explode into physical form and be aware of some sort of experience. Infinity in a void sounds awfully dull. My opinion on this matter is colored by an experience I had where I encountered the void, and I'd prefer to live a varied life containing highs and lows.

b_d said:
We have quite a few millions of years of Sun left.

Billions actually if I recall correctly.

Yeah you get an opinion too. I have no idea what is true but some of the intense suffering I see makes mine seem trivial, yet I don't like the life I've been born into. When I was young and ignorant of what kind of suffering was actually possible I thought that taking the good with the bad was worth something because I had a belief that somehow my life would end in some kind of triumph. Experience over time has colored my views now to see it as more or less a waste of time especially if science is correct in it's views that limit our possibilities of free will. When I think of what can actually take place in human life in the possibilities for individual suffering whether that person is "good or bad" and the, IMO, mindless actions of almost all humanity in sheep like conformity I have lost my attraction to experience overall. But I'm an old man with a body that is failing and lacking comforting beliefs in any afterlife or a purposeful growth in a "soul" that goes on and on. So I hope when I die that's it for me for good. If there is a void I won't know anything about it so the void would not disturb me in any way. You can't experience anything if you don't exist. Sounds like the best deal to me.

Tell me how you know anything for sure? How about explaining your position rather than continuing to take potshots that don't say anything.

In the long history of human knowledge from religion to science what we thought we knew today is eventually shown to be wanting. Humans not being the creator cannot know ultimate truth. We just make either educated or ignorant guesses.

Last edited:
Human knowledge has always been lacking when it comes to ultimate truth. That's why there are so many conflicting ideas on what that's supposed to be.
Now how about answering my question if you're in the know.

Last edited:
There is no point to this whole mess. Whatever meaning that could possible exist might seem disappointing to you. The thought or idea that you create as an individual to get through life is probably what matters. But honestly there is nothing but the abyss and to me thats the relief. That one day I will cease to exist and evaporate forever consciously and physically. Once I'm finished with this life I jut wanna be dead just cease.
Its Friday:)
Peace folks.

I would have thought it was quite apparent there is a point to life.. all biological life follows the same basic pattern and we do too. Perhaps it is only mans arrogance that blinds him to a deeper meaning to this apparently simple point [of reproduction/fertilizing the earth]. We contemplate and ruminate elsewhere, thinking there can't be anything more to the basic pattern! But maybe there is and we just can't see it.

I don't buy the position of the universe being pointless, in fact it amazes me that people don't recognize the signs of order, pattern and intelligence running through it at all scales.

Pointless, no. But things don't matter necessarily. I think there's a difference there.

I think that's what most people mean when they say pointless. They mean it subjectively based on their personal needs or desires. You are correct that at the very least it seems to be apparent that we are here just to pass on DNA. But who knows if that's even happening. This could all be virtual or something else totally unknown to us. We are not the creator so we really ultimately don't know. In the early days of Science ala Newton etc. it was assumed that we would understand everything in just matter of a few decades or so. But when Newton who is arguably the most brilliant scientist who has ever lived couldn't figure out what gravity was he gave up on his claims that we might figure everything out. We still don't know what the fuck gravity is. For some people that's part of the fun I guess. Others feel very insecure if they can't convince themselves that everything that is important to them can be known by them or by our species. The more I look into things the more complex and ultimately unknowable things seem. I think many scientists would agree these days.

The more I look into things the more complex and ultimately unknowable things seem.

That's mostly because as we move further with our knowledge and understanding of the universe, we move farther away from the stuff that we evolved to understand (the middle-size world). Things like the quantum world, or the really large, are hard for our biological brains to understand and make analogies of because we never lived on that scale ourselves. All we can do is make extrapolations of what our senses show us, or more correctly, what we interpret the scale we live in to be. But those extrapolations fail to work if you go deeper into the atomic, especially sub-atomic scale. We can do the maths, sure, and make very good predictions; but we can't really understand.

The more I look into things the more complex and ultimately unknowable things seem. I think many scientists would agree these days.

This is kind of the issue we have generally as modern humans, as alluded to in my post. We're consistently looking outwards for answers to the big questions as opposed to looking inwards - because we believe we've already largely grasped, isolated, classified and archived the basic mechanics of ourselves. We haven't.

All we've done is conceptualized ourselves away from inward looking. We've denigrated all the major religions as junk nonsense, allowed psychology to proclaim that our brain is our mind, the biological sciences to claim that thought is just synaptic reactions contained inside the skull, and so forth. It's all very convincing but doesn't hold up to examination if you approach it honestly.

The Truth is unknowable to the majority because they don't actually want to know, not because it isn't possible.

As far as I've seen the truth is unknowable to the totality of humanity unless you can provide some evidence otherwise. In other words what you are saying is ultimate truth can be known without being able to demonstrate the truth of that statement. Well anyone can make that claim and they do.

So what is the truth? Serious question to be answered please.

And it's not true that all people are just looking without. Many have looked within to find nothing but mystery of which I am one and many of my friends over the years including some who we would all consider religious/spiritual.

Here's a great talk by Chomsky that seems to address some of this as the "outside" is something we can address with some evidence even though this talk does address the ideas of spirit to some degree.

Last edited: