• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

There is no real point in life.

As far as I've seen the truth is unknowable to the totality of humanity unless you can provide some evidence otherwise. In other words what you are saying is ultimate truth can be known without being able to demonstrate the truth of that statement. Well anyone can make that claim and they do.

So what is the truth? Serious question to be answered please.

This is going back to what I said originally, looking outwardly for answers. Honestly I can't tell you what Truth is, not because I don't want to or couldn't try to put it into language, but because it has more to do with objective vs subjective. The following is a quote from someone who did know the Truth and hopefully conveys to you my point.

'Have you seen God?' I asked. 'And if you have, can you enable me to see him? I am willing to pay any price, even my life, but your part of the bargain is that you must show me God.'

'No,' he (Ramana Maharshi) answered. 'I cannot show you God or enable you to see God because God is not an object that can be seen. God is the subject. He is the seer. Don't concern yourself with objects that can be seen. Find out who the seer is.' He also added, 'You alone are God,' as if to rebuke me for looking for a God who was outside and apart from me.

---

You will have to summarize a point from that video.. I couldn't watch more than 3 minutes without falling asleep. Lack of charisma, vocal dynamism and endless word streams tends to have a soporific affect on me.

I'm not going to force feed you something you don't want. That's not my intent. You have however not made your case in the least. Especially saying you can't show me anything. That's the same thing I hear from every Catholic, Christian, Reptilian, Flat earther, Republican and Democrat and on and on. And a quote supposedly by someone neither you nor I have ever known at all is not worth much to make a case. Hell you weren't even interested in what I posted. It's all words on both sides yours and mine and that's my point and I've made it.

Last edited:
I imagined that Chomsky may not be SS's cup of tea ;) I dig him, he's articulate and thought provoking albeit somewhat polemic. His Requiem for the American Dream (Netflix) is really interesting.

Tis.

I was thinking that a nicer way to phrase this is "theres nothing you need to do". There's no point or goal to life, so you can't really go wrong. There's no right way to do this. Acknowledging the pointlessness of life can be depressing but such value judgments are human conceits. It is what it is until its not.

Hmm.

if you think beautiful people like Jessica Alba just suddenly came into being without any creator by them, then you are lost the way many other people are, and in order to learn about your creator you must turn to religious scripture. No other way.

Lmfao religion is a business and a cult, a guide tool for those who cannot lead an those that need to find reason.

You have however not made your case in the least. Especially saying you can't show me anything.

Actually I have, you just don't get it. May I suggest you try reading some poetry? You're far more likely to find something of value there than in the circular intellectual vanity that Chomsky represents.

You didn't even read Chomsky and yet you feel authorized to comment on his message. Also I read poetry, I'm currently reading the poetry of James Douglas Morrison and Charles Bukowski and I even write a little or have in the past. Maybe you also don't get what I'm saying.

I'm not here just to put down your POV but rather to discover new truths for myself and share what I've come to believe. Let me restate my position. I'm not saying there is no truth. I'm saying that in 63 years of what I believe to be a sincere search for truth including listening to your views I have not found that I or anyone else can with certainty say what ultimate truth is. Believe me I find this unfortunate and wish my search were otherwise but I do feel the need to be honest with myself. I've searched a lot and feel myself to be at least moderately intelligent and soulful with a fair amount of empathy and compassion for life.

So maybe since you can't demonstrate your POV in a way I can "get it" we will have to let it go at that, as from here we will just likely argue needlessly. If your beliefs bring you ultimate satisfaction and feel your conclusions are rock solid and the future will not hold any surprises for you then I'm happy for you and wish you well.

You keep responding in this defensive manner, but have I ever claimed to be in the know? I'm just saying objectively, as a species, we've come a long way from ignorance. Whether or not it's noticeable in the average person doesn't negate our overall progress. Additionally, what you personally might deem as stupid or pointless is really just an issue of circumstance and relativity. You can't let your bitterness cloud your judgment like that. If you were able to concentrate and internalize all the knowledge we've accumulated over the course of our existence, you'd see it doesn't merit shame or scorn. There is a clear progression in all of this and I'd go as far as to say that there's a set destination as well.

Wait now. You're the one who just made this comment out of the blue with no explanation Glad to see you keep lying to yourself this way. I've been very respectful to you overall and yet you have been warned at least twice by a moderator for personal attacks on me. My POV is that we don't know anything with absolute certainty since we did not create ourselves or our Universe as far as we know. I did not say that humans have no useful knowledge. I've presented at least one source that backs my POV. On the other hand you just seem often to want to attack me personally rather than providing something that might convince me that your position has merit. I'm just having a POV and you get one too. However I express it as long as I don't attack you personally should not be a reason to attack me for my beliefs. That's intolerance. I certainly tolerate your views even if I don't believe them.

There you go again making this personal what your accusations I'm full of hate. Frankly I'm sick of it. I'll bet you never even looked at what I presented yet you know it doesn't relate to the subject yet is certainly and directly does. Everything you are saying are things that I didn't say. Did I say we are going nowhere?

I'd have to agree with rmikhail that we've come a long way, and going farther and farther with our understanding of reality.

Whether we know the stuff we know with absolute certainty or not is a redundant question. You can present countless arguments why we can't know anything for certain, but that's useless, isn't it? We agree to a "satisfying enough" degree of certainty (such as 95% etc) in science, and I think that's our only option, really. As you said, we did not create this world, but we do live in it and so instead of wallowing in misery, let's do what we can.

Also, it's okay to say "I don't know". If after honest and thorough search throughout your life you haven't compiled enough satisfying evidence to prove a point one way or another, then it's OK to admit that you just don't know. I think it's liberating in a way, and humbling; maybe we can't know everything?

E: guys please, keep it civil. If you want to settle a personal argument, take it to PM.

Yeah like I'm the one who hasn't been civil. That's great moderating. I have nothing personal against this poster.

You didn't even read Chomsky and yet you feel authorized to comment on his message. Also I read poetry, I'm currently reading the poetry of James Douglas Morrison and Charles Bukowski and I even write a little or have in the past. Maybe you also don't get what I'm saying.

I just have little patience to sit down and listen to (or read) long winded word streams, and the cynic in me immediately resists because chances are that person is just trying to bamboozle or hypnotize the audience anyway.. for money or otherwise. Just get to the bloody point, you know?

Believe me I find this unfortunate and wish my search were otherwise but I do feel the need to be honest with myself. I've searched a lot and feel myself to be at least moderately intelligent and soulful with a fair amount of empathy and compassion for life.

If you consider empathy and compassion prerequisites for realizing Truth then I think you may need to consider another angle or approach. Not that they're bad qualities or anything. But let me ask you this - do you believe, honestly, that you have applied yourself to the search for an ultimate answer with all your determination? Have you put in the same time and energy one would for say a college degree? You may well have, only you know of course.

All I would suggest is that if you really want it, then you will find it, but you won't find it outside of yourself.