• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'Age and Psychedelics' thread

If you use psychedelics, please tell us: how old are you?

• < 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-15

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • 19-21

Votes: 87 30.9%
  • 22-25

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 51-65

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • > 65

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
lysergicanimal said:
High all you good people, I too was seventeen when I first tried psychedelics, mushrooms first then acid, I thought they were great for my development, My problem is now at my age over twenty years later, I find the stuff around especially called L.S.D. is not even close to the product I had back in the early eighties, it is not a tenth of what I had before, in regards to an awesome soul washing battery charging trip & I have sampled two different batches from two different sources. So what is the problem is it me with my age or is the stuff that is out thier not as good as product as years ago?

I had become tolerant to mushrooms so I left them alone for many years, Although I tried them recently within the last year & they are showing promise, but are also hard to come by. I never like to eat a lot of them because I findthem to hard on my body.
I think If it was avail, that pure delysid would be the way to go, or if pure silocybin was also avail then I would try a larger dose. This all is just wishfull thinking I'm starting to believe that none of these compounds exist in anything close to there pure form.

I've heard several others who ate alot of acid in the 80's comment on the quality of todays LSD. The overall quality has without a doubt decreased, due to amoung other things, the huge amounts of the, then legal acid being depleted and the fact that one bust can actually be felt on the market.
Goes through alot of hands while in liquid form. Alot of guys double their money... I can't be sure, but im guessing that our standard acid today is only 75-125ug.
If you used to trip alot then you probably ran into some potent blotters back in the 80's. 250ug ones8o :)

Trippers from the 60's probably thought it generally sucked in the 80's:p

i think that maturity and your personality has alot to do with it. I found that psychedelics are one of those drugs you either love, hate or just dont understand... i find those who constantly have bad trips but keep going back risk more of a chance of damaging their minds, as you need to time to get over bad trips, as i found out ;)

Psychedelics are good if you're mature enough to desire that you get something positive out of them. There are plenty of people in their mid-20s and beyond that don't have this maturity when it comes to these drugs.

The reason to not do them, or stop, is if you find yourself using them as any escape mechanism. Psychedelics may not be physiologically addictive, but for younger individuals they can become quite psychologically addictive if used in this way.

Still, my advice is for everyone to wait until they're at least out of high school, but seeing as this isn't feasible, I urge people just not to overdo it when they're young. Moderation is important.

I think that we should consider the sexual age of consent as a measure of what is reasonable.
emotionally there is variance

I turned into a bit of a whack job with HPPD like symptoms age around 22. I had been using mushrooms and acid regularly and basically too frequently! I took 7 years off and came back! I use psychedelics much more frequently (though in busts) at higher levels and suffer no HPPD type symptoms at all !

willow11 said:
.... the problem with having a psychedlically influenced thought structure is the difficulty in applying it to our current world;

The problem with having a psychedelically influenced thought structure is the difficulty in communicating it to non-psychedelic folk.

The problem with having a psychedelically influenced thought structure is the difficulty in smearing it on a swab of contaminated fluid.

It was the day before my 21st birthday when I took my fatal trip. I was in a room hanging out with some (so-called friends) and there was a lot of weed around. Suddenly this guy I vaguely knew produced a tab on blotting paper and asked me if I wanted a trip so I stupidly said yes and for a while things were okay but later turned very bad.
To give you some idea I hallucinated that I turned into a huge spider and I was trying to stop it from eating people.
For months afterwards I kept getting daytime flashes and smoking a joint would inevitably lead to panic attacks.
I became totally paranoid and would look behind doors to make sure there was nothing behind them.
I used to keep a pet just to give me some reassurance that I hadn't suddenly transformed unawares.
I started to stay awake at night and sleep in the daytime, when it was safe.
This situation continued for several years gradually becoming less acute, but to be honest the experience affected me profoundly, making me less spontaneous and outgoing and timid about experiencing anything slightly unusual.
I tried psychiatric help but at that time psychs were totally useless (still are). All they could suggest was librium.
So writing from my own experience, I would say acid did totally change my life though not in the positive way I would have wished. And only after trying mdma a few years ago have I been able to recover from this trauma to some extent.

Last edited:
As far as I know they give children as young as 14 ayahuasca in Santo Daime Church. But in my opinion this experience is very much constructed and should not be confused with taking acid on your own or with friends.

I was just thinking and noticed I rarely see the factor of age come into discussion. Not trying to make anyone feel uncomfortable, so please don't respond if you do- BUT- I was just wondering... How old were you when you had your 1st psychedelic experience?

18. I wouldn't have wanted to be any younger... but 18 was the perfect age, in the middle of my first year of college living away from my parents and hometown.

15. Or 13 counting weed.

Well, are we going to count pot? I'm sure most of you guys smoked dope earlier then that.... please I don't want to be the odd one out...

Don't count pot. That I am not interested in. Not saying that pot doesn't count, I'm just saying thats not what I am asking for this discussion.

Okay then 15. Peace Sl33p3r :) I would have liked to take them at an earlier age personally. Wait til we get the folks who were eating peyote at 8 dropping in....

First psychedelic experience.. well.. my first LSD hit was in Dec '89.. so.. I was 20..

I was 16 when i started taking acid. For some people that would be too young, and for others (like me) it is a perfect age. I think it depends less on the person's age and more on their personality whether it is an appropriate time for them or not.