• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'Age and Psychedelics' thread

If you use psychedelics, please tell us: how old are you?

• < 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-15

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • 19-21

Votes: 87 30.9%
  • 22-25

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 51-65

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • > 65

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Cat Again QWE, thanks for the poem. I really enjoyed reading it. [/B]

dog fashion disco - acid memoirs

THE WOOD said:
IMO, the older you get (especially past your 20s) the more the drug is going to break you.

however, little kids shouldnt be doing drugs

ahh what a paradox!

hehe, ive noticed the same thing.
When i was 16 i was able to eat 7 grams of mushrooms without losing my cool at all (same with high dose acid trips). Once i started getting older the scary trips would happen much more often.
These days 3.5 grams of mushrooms is pretty close to sending me over the edge.

Why do you think that is?

If you have enough maturity to wonder if you're mature enough, you are. Enjoy yourself and be prepared for (imo) the perfect trip.

Cat Again said:
hehe, ive noticed the same thing.
When i was 16 i was able to eat 7 grams of mushrooms without losing my cool at all (same with high dose acid trips). Once i started getting older the scary trips would happen much more often.
These days 3.5 grams of mushrooms is pretty close to sending me over the edge.

Why do you think that is?

I think as you get older you have more to think about and more things built up in your mind, all with the potential to be up-ended with a trip.

Also, I don't think the ability to 'handle your drugs' is as important as the respect you have for them. If you just take them to get fucked up then that's exactly what will happen. But if you acknowledge the fact that they can change you and your perceptions, even if you just use them as party drugs, then you should be ok. This can come at any age, but I wouldn't give LSD to someone much younger than 18.

But what do I know, I've only had six acid trips since July last year. Ultimately it's up to the user to decide when, how and why they use it.

I was 16 when I first tried shrooms and 17 just like you when I first experienced the power of LSD. Looking back on it, I would have waited knowing what I know now. The mind is still in development and at that age you're still coming into yourself and figuring out your identity. LSD can either help with that or be counterproductive especially at that age of growth. You do seem mentally prepared and the fact that you express concern vindicates your sense of responsible use and respect for your mind. Personally, I'd hold off until school's out and the most research you could do would be advised. I've only had difficult experiences in high school. I took a pretty long break, moved into my own apartment, but then moved back home in 2004. I've explained my use to my mom and though she's not completely thrilled, she's understanding so I don't really have the parent issue, even though I'm 20 years old. I have to tell you, the trips I had while living in my own place went smoother and I experienced less anxiety what with not having to be sneaky about it and all. But I also can't say that 17 is too young. It's those 6th graders dropping acid that need a spanking or two. I'd say if you're confident about the strength of your psyche and your ability to handle uncomfortable and sometimes terrifying situations and knowledgable about taking the proper precautious long before dosing and most importantly actually TAKING those precautions, then yeah, I'd say follow your heart and do what feels right. Be safe, my friend. LSD is nothing to toy with and the experience is worth far more than just the amazing visuals. After a few years of experience with LSD, I've actually found the visuals to be more of an obstruction. That is not to say that I don't find myself gazing into the sky for periods of time and taking in the beautiful power of the universe, but LSD can also be the light that reveals a hidden path to the simple, elegant truth. I'd tell ya, but I wouldn't wanna ruin it for ya. ;) jk Alright, I've been up for three days. Too long. If you wanna read an unusual LSD experience check out my trip report in the trip forum. Definately my most life changing experience on any substance. Perhaps one of my last. Again, be safe and remember not to panic.

Peace and love.

I think acid can un-hinge the maturing mind- it can raise questions about almost anything. I tried it when I was 17 and whilst I loved the first time (and subsequent 15 over about a year and a half), I feel that it shook and upended my sense of reality at a time in life when your really just starting to stabilise your personal experience of reality. I began to question everything, which basically leads you in a dwindling loop until you grind to a halt with one simple final question-why? Anyway, I avoided it for about three year or so, recently I've started taking it, along with some other fun chemicals, and have found the experience much rewarding, possibly because now my mind is in a groove, or has found its particular track. Just be careful if you do decide to try it, and be strict with that idea of not doing it again. And again. And again . . . peace out.

Thanks to all of you who have replied to this thread, it is helping me with my decision on whether to take acid or not.

Does anybody have anything else to add to this thread? It would be greatly appreciated if you do.

I do have a few more questions and concerns though.

*I have read that acid breaks down your mental defense systems and takes you where it wants to go, this sounds a little intimidating. I am having trouble finding a good representation of this, can somebody link me to some good trip reports that deal with the mental aspects of the lsd experience. Also, can anybody reccomend me any good books/authors on the subject.

*As far as I have read and learned from people, acid is a very introspective drug. Obviously if it is taken for the right reasons with the right knowledge and respect, it can yield in amazing self growth. I feel that the main thing that psychedelics do is help aid us in growth as people, this is something that I really want to get out of the lsd experience. Out of all my shroom trips(5 now) I only had one that was very introspective and that trip was the most enlightening/life changing experience in my life(the trip was the cliche life changing, enlightening, amazing, powerful trip experience). That trip helped me grow so much as a person, it enabled me to realize how amazing living is. I think that this is the main reason that I want to take acid, because I have learned so much about myself from that shroom trip that I want to learn more. I want to walk away from this trip with that feeling again. And if acid is what people say it is like then my hopes should be met to a much higher extent than I can even understand right now.

*I want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes and I want to dive deep into my inner psyche and my mind.

*I realize that I am still in the process of discovering who I am but I also know that psychedelics can greatly aid this process. Shrooms obviously did for me, I see no reason why acid would not do the same. In the midst of me growing as a person and becoming an adult I want to take this substance so it can help me out a little bit and make the path to adulthood a little clearer. Hopefully this trip will lead me to the next chapter of my life and thought process.

*Also many people say that acid will make you question everything you know about reality and make you ask why, which seems like a very big part of the experience. But I already ask why and question this "reality" that we live in. Partly due to my extensive use of marijuana and my shroom trips, I have already begun to question what is real and have realized that there is much more out there than meets the eye. Just to simplify what I mean I have opened the doors of perception and have used my third eye already. I am very curious to learn more about reality.

Sorry I am typing so much but I just want to ensure that this trip goes smoothly and that I am ready for this experience for it seems too many people take lsd without the right amount of knowledge and respect. And I do not want to be somebody who experiences the negatives of acid and regrets; I want to experience the pure bliss of it and look back at it as being an important/key part of my life.

Once again thanks to those of you who are reading all of this and replying to this thread.

i waited till I was a freshman in college (this year) and am very glad I did it ... but then again, i had no desire to try it in highschool and allways thought it would be something i would try in college....

i personally would recomend that you wait till highschool is over... you have your whole life to do drugs and LSD is definetly one of the most powerful ones out there... wait till you are a little more developed

Honestly i would say 21-22. Cause you mind is still maturing, building up, along with body...until around this point..."bleaching" your brain with acid while your mind is still developing and "networking" itself can really fuck you up....not physically. but mentally.. then again it could do you a lot of good. You never know until you dive in and do it... Really, it's like a game of Russian Roulette.

People think that just because acid cant kill you, that it's harmless. Far from the truth...

Anyways, I love acid...i first did it when i was 15.

I think if you've done mushrooms a few times you should be reasonably well prepared for LSD. As long as you've got a good head on your shoulders you should be fine. Good luck!

Ive heard people say that mushrooms are more nitty-gritty than acid, i first experimented with mushies when i was 15, now im 17 and i have done copius amounts of mushies (read my reports) and using syrian rue. I have not tried acid but considering you have done mushrooms before i would say go for it. There is alot of stigma attached to LSD and that is why i think other people (not bluelighters) discredit it and say don't do it cos it will fuck with your head. Your posting on this board has alredy clarified to me that you are ready to undertake the task, i know people that have done acid without prior research etc and they seemed to come out fine. At the end of the day its up to you but you seem to be the type of person who will be able to handle it.

peace

I tried it when I was 16. I am quite mature for my age as I am told by many and I thought it was quite worthwhile and didn't badly affect anything in my life e.g., school. Go for it.

hey, just wondering...wut part of cali r u in and was the hit u took completely white...? i recently came up on one hit of some good acid and you could easily say the hit was worth about 4 or 5. k lol peace

haha i know a 13 year old who has dropped acid like 8 times. i think that's way too young of course i just think it's funny. but anyway i think you should at least be 16, if your a mature 16 year old that is.....

eye kant spehll said:
hey, just wondering...wut part of cali r u in and was the hit u took completely white...? i recently came up on one hit of some good acid and you could easily say the hit was worth about 4 or 5. k lol peace

I have not taken the hit yet. But I purchased a 5 strip and it came as a completely white blotter. The hits are not divided into individual hits, I still have to cut the trips up.

And I am from Southern California, about an hour from LA. I got the acid from my friend who goes to clairemont mckena in pomona. I know that the acid either came from pomona or somewhere around venice.

I do not know how potent this specific blotter is but the guy who gave it told me this: "1 hit gives you a pretty good mind and body high and 2 hits is a full blown trip"

Hopefully I got the same stuff as you, I'm guessing that I did.

I'm 23, I first used acid a month before my 20th bday...

I personally believe that its wrong to suggest that a teenager should try acid, I think the ideal time to begin using ANY psychedelic (including MDMA or mushrooms) is when you're at that point in your life where you've finally adapted to "being on your own" in the world, whatever that means for you... the reason I believe this is that psychedelics can make life seem very uncertain, and they will DEFINATELY encourage change in your life, so you need to be careful to use them at a point where you don't already have NATURAL changes that you need to deal with (too much change at once can cause chaos).

Psychedelics are best used to get a person out of a rut in their life (whether they realise it or not), to help them find direction, and to help them learn what it is that they truly value in their lives. Thus its best to try them when you're young enough that you still can change the course of your life for the better, but old enough that you can be certain that the decision make are wise, and old enough to have the stability (psychologically, emotionally, socially [true friends], financially [the urge to cast off the chains of the working-world is not a good idea if you're broke], and WISDOM [you need to know WHY you want to trip, and not just "to have a good time and become spiritual"]...)

It saddens me everytime I see somebody abusing a psychedelic, whether they're rolling at age 14, eating LSD to their high school graduation or grad-night [to be cool], or eating mushrooms and smoking pot every day in college...

On the other hand I am overjoyed when I meet people who are celebrating an annual tradition with bi-annual roll with all of their best friends and lovers, and you see that it truly helps them be at peace with themselves... (Electric Daisy Carnival is one of these traditions for me)

12- or 18+ Depending on the personality and mental strength of the person. Usually teenagers are going through lots of emotional and physical changes, which can bring out unwanted negative or troubling thoughts.

Here's an article on the M.A.P.S. website about psychedelics and young people. http://www.maps.org/ritesofpassage/youngpeople.html

Psychedelics and age

I'm not sure of the statistics regarding the amount of users who feel post HPPD syndrome or flashbacks as a result of using psychedelics, but does anyone else feel this could be linked to the age you start taking them? If someone drops acid when they're 14 and haven't yet fully developed their brain doesn't it seem more likely that they will have developmental problems? Just a thought