• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'Age and Psychedelics' thread

If you use psychedelics, please tell us: how old are you?

• < 12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12-15

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 16-18

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • 19-21

Votes: 87 30.9%
  • 22-25

Votes: 52 18.4%
  • 26-30

Votes: 33 11.7%
  • 31-40

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • 41-50

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 51-65

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • > 65

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters
Well I've had none of the problems the last year or so that I had with acid from age 18-22 (I'm 4.. er fourtysomething now!) after a break of 2 decades from it (did take other psychedelics though). Psychologists reckon your personality isn't pretty much set until youreach your late 20's so anything like acid before them is obviously going to alter your personality development (esp. extreme experiences either good or bad). Taking them before the end of puberty (like you suggested age 14) is going to have an even bigger effect on personality development

i dont think anyone can be ready... its one of those things that will always cause a mind blowing experience when the dose is right :)

I was 17 when i had my first proper trip, has it affected my personality ? I think so, in a better way? i also think so :D

I, too was 17....it was one of the best experiences in human/robot existence I'd had, and after repeating numerous times with varied results, definitely altered me for the better. For quite a while though i was very unhappy, as i didn't fully let myself open up but htat I am learning to do.... the problem with having a psychedlically influenced thought structure is the difficulty in applying it to our current world; this sort of alienation (as it can be seen) is difficult to deal with as a teenager. It takes time to realise that its not isolation that has/is occurring but a connecting of everything/all concepts. In a sense it would be safer to take acid when neural plasticity is lessened after puberty, but it could also bring about upheaval that no prior experience hass set a precedent for.

The context i tried LSD first in was dreadful- at a huge, chaotic drunken house party after a schoolday/into the night with a new girlfriend of a week, and strong acid, but turned out fine- indeed I repeated it most weekends for the rest of the year because of the euphoric elevation above earthly matters and concerns that I was experiencing, and the sense of unity between trippers so to speak.

But the potential for disaster was huge that whole time, and except for dealers comments of "take half at a time" (invariably ignored), there was no guidance, no direction as to where to run with these hyper-cosmic thinking, and a lot of my fellow trippers of that era have subsequently, at one point or another, been down and out/fucked up-including me. The danger that we faced and were ultimately defeated by was difficulty integrating the trips- not so much a concern in the structure of school etc. but with the wideworld looming, definitely trying. We had no guidance, which is like using a submarine with no instruction; possibly do-able but very likely to sink. As ones brain settles as life proceeds, the likelihood of developing social difficulties or whathaveyou decreases with an increase in self-recognition and stabilising of the self. But the chances (perhaps) of a beneficial life-changing exp. decreases too....

Most of me and these old friends, in one way or anot'er, use psychedlics to bring ourselves back to the motherly embrace, since the year (8 years ago) we first ventured forth. Interesting...
:)

When I was 16 I had my first, and horribly, horribly bad trip. I know of a 13 year-old dumb little bastard that took 4 hits of insane stuff and puked out his stomach lining. This is not myth in any way, since it was all over town, he went to the hospital, the police came, I knew one guy who was there, I mean kids take acid all the time it has fucking cartoon characters on it. These are the majority acid-heads of the world now probably, little kids taking daffy-duck acid during school.

I'd recommend waiting till 17 or 18.
When I was 17 I had the best psychedelic experience I've ever had. But I had experience with acid and mushrooms, and with bad trips.

Last edited:
I started at 15. Almost 16 years later, and I have never been diagnosed with any developmental issues. ANd 15 was too young. I didn't really start benifiting from psychedelics until I was in my early 20s.

I think you have to be at a certain emotional maturity level before you can really benefit from psychedelic use (at least more than a fun night). It is impossable to gage mental maturity by age.

My first psychedelic experience was at 14 years old, having been smoking cannabis for 2 years prior, and after moderate research on erowid, I stupidly stole a quarter of my older brothers mushrooms, and consumed them all. As mature as I was for my age, I was not mentally prepared in the slightest.

But after that intense experience I really learned that I should of done more then just read a few trip reports before partaking so early in my life. But of course I kept trying and eventually tried LSD when I was 15, and then many other psychedelics for the next few years after that.

I am now 20, have several symptoms of HPPD, although it doesn't really effect my daily life(negatively) but I am still level headed, and I don't have any regrets about my (relatively recent) past.

I guess I'll just have to see what the long-term effects bring....

I am 15, 16 in under 2 months and i am dying to try mushrooms and acid etc.

Is this a bad idea?
I'm not scared of a bad trip for some reason, i am not scared at all.

Just want to know if it is gonna be worth it? :]

Taking them before the end of puberty (like you suggested age 14) is going to have an even bigger effect on personality development

Like what?

Net_Raven said:

Is this a bad idea?

Not being scared doesn't mean a bad trip won't happen. Trust me on that.

I had my first experience with mushrooms while I was halfway through being 16. I would suggest wait a few more years, but that would be slightly hypocritical. Do what you want. :)

I think its easier to lose focus of the big picture when you in your teens. Which may sound odd since psychedelics are supposed to give you a glimpse of the bigger picture. I think there are very few teenagers that have the maturity to benefit from psychedelics ... I didn't say none.

My first time, I was 20, and it was too early. When I was a senior in college I started to see how they could help my personal development (or hurt if overused). So I didn't get an benefit until I was 22. I think the gradual transition was perfect though, and my biggest change happened in a period when I didn't have many responsibilities, so psychedelics never got in the way of what I wanted to do with my life. I think that's key.

As far as HPPD ... I think age is a factor, as is frequency of usage. There has been no case of HPPD that I'm aware of from controlled administration in any of the scientific studies carried out. They usually controlled for age and any psychiatric conditions. If I had to guess I'd say that coupling young age and high frequency of usage has the highest risk for developing severe dissociation symptoms and the like. Personality is still extremely malleable at in the teen years.

i think that the late teens, early twenties are the prime age to dose because it lets you see the whole picture and you are mature enough to fathom all the things that go though your mind on say lsd

i started at 17, like this past summer. and now i seem to be developing problems with my head. also cause of this problem with the legal system ive been having, and i did ALOT of acid, maybe too much

morninggloryseed said:
I started at 15. Almost 16 years later, and I have never been diagnosed with any developmental issues. ANd 15 was too young. I didn't really start benifiting from psychedelics until I was in my early 20s.

Same here, though I'm just about 28 not too far off from you. I don't think there's been any negative effects from my psychedelic use, if anything I think they've helped me become who I am.

Net_Raven said:

Is this a bad idea?

You know that feeling you described as "dying to try" mushrooms and acid? That's antsiness, naivety and an eagerness for a Christmas-like snack, or to grow up like a cool older guy you want to be. Sorry. But I know all too well. Terrible motivation for taking psychedelics. Listen to everyone, wait till 18. Or you'll be like me, traumatized from acid and unable to complain about it since it's my own fault. Sure it's not all bad like that, but if you're just antsy to take em, all the reason not to I'd think.

Hi

High all you good people, I too was seventeen when I first tried psychedelics, mushrooms first then acid, I thought they were great for my development, My problem is now at my age over twenty years later, I find the stuff around especially called L.S.D. is not even close to the product I had back in the early eighties, it is not a tenth of what I had before, in regards to an awesome soul washing battery charging trip & I have sampled two different batches from two different sources. So what is the problem is it me with my age or is the stuff that is out thier not as good as product as years ago?

I had become tolerant to mushrooms so I left them alone for many years, Although I tried them recently within the last year & they are showing promise, but are also hard to come by. I never like to eat a lot of them because I findthem to hard on my body.
I think If it was avail, that pure delysid would be the way to go, or if pure silocybin was also avail then I would try a larger dose. This all is just wishfull thinking I'm starting to believe that none of these compounds exist in anything close to there pure form.

Fwoosh said:
Like what?

Well puberty is a confusing enough time as it is with all the things happening hormonally. Add something that starts shaking the roots of reality perception in with that and it has a big potential for screwing up any normal timetable of emotional maturing