• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Summer Heights High (ABC, Wed 9.30pm)

People people! Bitching on message boards isn't going to get your opinions heard?

TYPE, then PRINT, then POST all your frustrations in writing to your nearest 3 politicians and tell them clearly and concisely the sentiments you've shared here.

FLOOD your local and state newspapers with LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (true un-journalised (but sometimes editor-edited) public opinion)

JOIN and POST on those websites full of narrow minded News Limited readers

GET INVOLVED with your local "anti-drug" community groups and insist on harm reduction based projects

INFLUENCE as many people as you possibly can

Hoptis in News.com article said:
Mr Scott said filming of the show had finished almost two weeks before Ms Catt's death, which he described as a "horrible coincidence".

I watched a current affair tonight and as usual the totally spun it out of proportion, missleadingly. No mention it was just a coincidence at all.

They reported that is was a direct pisstake of the womans death AND that the ABC had apolagised for it. With the typical interviews with people saying its disgracful etc.

There is no story on thier website, which may be usual as the story was only tonight.

Someone needs to contact mediawatch or something.

:D

"So random" - thank you Ja'mie

Originally posted by klue
I watched a current affair tonight and as usual the totally spun it out of proportion, missleadingly. No mention it was just a coincidence at all.

Amen brother

As soon as people start to accept that the media are spin doctors, the less cynical we can be about all the bullshit they feed us and try to dumb us down with. They only tell you what they want you to hear. Fascists

kryalkastleE said:
"Ms Catt, a dance teacher, died after taking two ecstasy capsules, or MDMA, at the Good Vibrations music festival on February 17 this year."

----- BUT IT WASN'T mdma, it was pma. Morons. (it pisses me off that papers always gets the facts wrong)

Don't newspapers have fact checkers? If they'd spelled her name wrong, they would been falling all over themselves to print a correction, but I guess when something is about drugs there is no need for accuracy.

Today Tonight is a dangerous waste of space. Some people say they like it because its funny, but many people watch it and take it seriously. Like my dad. For fucks sake.

On the ABC website, a couple of confusing links one after the other:

* Video: ABC apologises for Summer Heights High drug joke (ABC News)
* Audio: ABC stands ground on 'Summer Heights High' (PM)

I like the show. Its amazing how convincing Chris Lilley is as different characters!

trancegirle said:
I love Chris Lilley :D We can be heroes was my absolute favorite show for a while there. The abc always has the best series. Shattered i've missed 3 episodes already!

You can download the three eipsodes here

Klue said:
Someone needs to contact mediawatch or something.

with the amount of shit they manage to follow and pick up on i'm sure they're already on it

vanth said:
Don't newspapers have fact checkers? If they'd spelled her name wrong, they would been falling all over themselves to print a correction, but I guess when something is about drugs there is no need for accuracy.

Today Tonight is a dangerous waste of space. Some people say they like it because its funny, but many people watch it and take it seriously. Like my dad. For fucks sake.

Fact checkers? Just look at the whole Channel 7 vs AFL Footballers RE: drug scandals!

I just happen to be watching the news when they read out the team who is was (lol) but you would think the 'fact checkers' would of checked the info first.

I actually like TTonight. Most of the stories covered aren't just spun out of proportion. Their stories are based on real life tings happenieng.

As for SHHigh and the whole drug thing...coincedence? I think not. Its easy to wriggle your way out of law suits etc. Doesnt matter if it was filmed two weeks prior or not. They should of known not to air it because of to many similarities or AT LEAST put up one of those bulletins Law and Order does: The following story is not about any b;lah blah all characters are not real blah blah

kryalkastleE said:
"Ms Catt, a dance teacher, died after taking two ecstasy capsules, or MDMA, at the Good Vibrations music festival on February 17 this year."

----- BUT IT WASN'T mdma, it was pma. Morons. (it pisses me off that papers always gets the facts wrong)

And seriously this family should just freaking deal with it (as harsh as it sounds) - they didnt intentionally do it, and if they dont like what it says they shouldnt watch it. I feel bad for them that their daughter died, but its not as if Chris Lilley has gone intentionally out of his way to make them mad.

That is harsh and insensetive :\ Maybe its easier to say that because we dont know the girl. It doesnt matter if the papers got the fact wrong...the fact is she died. Her family may NEVER get over it.

Chris Lilley may not of gone out of his way intentionally to upset them...but they got upset. Why? BECAUSE THEIR DAUGHTER DIED and he screened a show with so many coincendences it was rediculous.

You try telling grieving parents that the story with oh so many similarities in it isnt about their daughter..

I personally dont see the programme funny...as a whole. But thats just me. Id rather pend my time wathing News or some other show.

I mean god...it could of also been about Anna Woods. Remember her?

Haha Today Tonight not having stories spun out of proportion...

Is that part of your stand up routine?

It's funny because it's harsh and insensitive. If you looked at the world population pretty much anything is going to offend at least one person. And you know what? Screw that person for bringing everyone else down.

SF69: The show was actually filmed before Annabel Catt died... :\

*starfalls69* said:
I actually like TTonight. Most of the stories covered aren't just spun out of proportion. Their stories are based on real life tings happenieng.

...what?

It was pretty well known before the show went to air that it was going to involve scenarios such as kids OD'ing on drugs, plus the show would have had a warning that it contained drug us and scenarios that may upset some people. They should have known better than to watch it if they are in an emotional state where viewing such material may be distressing. They have no-one but themselves to blame imo

Geeze, dont shoot me for saying what i think. Laugh at me for liking Current Affairs shows i really dont care. What I do care about is peoples feelings. SHH upset the family by that episode with its so many similarities. They apologised. Fair enough. It doesnt change my views or dis-interest in the show one bit.

*shrugs*

samadhi said:
SF69: The show was actually filmed before Annabel Catt died... :\

I know it was shot before hand. I did read the whole thread. Im sure someone made a movie about a massacre at a heritage park in Tasmania before it actually happened aswell. But i bet they thought twice about screening it.

They should have known better than to watch it if they are in an emotional state where viewing such material may be distressing.

Of course it was their choice to watch it or not.

*starfalls69* said:
I know it was shot before hand. I did read the whole thread. Im sure someone made a movie about a massacre at a heritage park in Tasmania before it actually happened aswell. But i bet they thought twice about screening it.

so nobody should publish any art that bears any similarities to real life an artists should self censor based on peoples feelings is basically what you are saying?

Preme213 said:
so nobody should publish any art that bears any similarities to real life an artists should self censor based on peoples feelings is basically what you are saying?

No, not at all. I dont think people should be censored. I think people should be able to express themselves. I was an arts, music and drama magor so I know all about expression and arts etc. Lilley is a talented actor i will admit. But i just dont find the show funny. Its not shit. I acknowledge the fact people find it entertaining which is his point. But i just dont find it funny :\

Its nice of the abc and him to apologise to the family for what was shown through the show but on the flip side I can see why they would be upset.

Maybe I lack a sense of humor or something...

Re: Today Tonight- Its not actually aired here in Northern NSW but its similar to ACA right? I actually like ACA, but I take the journalism with a grain of salt. Sometimes I just have to swich off, its just so bad. I find it sort of entertaining. I like the stories about people who have lost half thier body weight, and the parents who want to shoot thier autistic children.. Its sort of funny sometimes.

On topic: When I initally saw the episode of Summer Heights where 'Annabel' died, I had forgotten about that woman in Brisbane and thought it was a parody of the Anna Wood death.

There is alot of that sort of thing in the media anyway. When some of the guys from the Chaser had a radio show on JJJ they always used to talk about Ivan Milat and Martin Bryant, people close to the victims could be pretty offended by that. What about the whole Bin Laden Motorcade? Didnt like thousands of people die in sept 11?

As an aside, there has been a semi-"We Can Be Heroes" marathon on Comedy Channel this afternoon. :D

*starfalls69* said:
No, not at all. I dont think people should be censored. I think people should be able to express themselves. I was an arts, music and drama magor so I know all about expression and arts etc. Lilley is a talented actor i will admit. But i just dont find the show funny. Its not shit. I acknowledge the fact people find it entertaining which is his point. But i just dont find it funny :\

Its nice of the abc and him to apologise to the family for what was shown through the show but on the flip side I can see why they would be upset.

Maybe I lack a sense of humor or something...

Hon you know i <3 you and im not gonna have a net battle with you at all, but i guess the valid point everyone is trying to make here is that the show appeals to some not to others and coming from a film nerds point of view i think it is amazing - but i know my best friends may not find it funny. Everyone is different.

BUT having said that i think the main point of it is that IT WAS shot a couple days before and it is a show that critiques our stupid society and behaviour. I dont see why this is any different to someone comparing a storyline from blue heelers or home and away and saying it is "like" their daughter/son/mother/etc . Its a shame this girl died, but ABC have already proved its not based off her story, its a pure coincidence and its a shame, but if the parents dont like it dont watch it.