• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Summer Heights High (ABC, Wed 9.30pm)

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
ABC's new humour: sex, drugs and foul language
Maxine Frith
August 19, 2007

lilley19807_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Comedian Chris Lilley says good humour should be all about pushing the boundaries.
Photo: Simon Schluter

AWARD-WINNING comedian Chris Lilley's much anticipated new series is under fire for its controversial jokes and storylines, weeks before it is due to air on the ABC.

Summer Heights High, set in an Australian public high school, features jokes about a teenage ecstasy death, children with Down syndrome, child sex abuse and rape, causing some campaigners to call for it to be banned.

But, despite the controversial storylines and a stream of foul language, Lilley has denied deliberately trying to offend people, saying cutting edge comedy should be about pushing boundaries.

The eight-part "mockumentary" series premieres on September 5 at 9.30pm. Lilley told The Sun-Herald he hoped it would achieve the same cult status with young audiences by which his last creation, We Can Be Heroes, won a Logie and the international Rose d'Or award last year.

Summer Heights High follows the fortunes of teacher Mr G and his pupils, including Tongan teenager Jonah Takalua, who is a foul-mouthed serial troublemaker, and private schoolgirl Ja'mie King, who is on an exchange project to the public education sector.

In one of the episodes, a teenage pupil at the school dies after taking ecstasy. Mr G then turns the case into the subject of the end-of-term musical.

Tony Wood, whose 15-year-old daughter Anna died after taking an ecstasy tablet in 1995, said he was outraged by the overdose story line.

"The guy must be sick in the head," he said. "There is nothing comical about holding your daughter in your arms as she takes her last breaths.

"It's 12 years since Anna died and we are still dealing with it. And what about the parents of Annabel Catt [who died after taking drugs earlier this year]?

"I can't believe the ABC is going to show something like that - I hope someone has the sense to censor it, because if they show it, there will be a lot of complaints."

The first episode of the series features a comic line about a female pupil at the school being raped and a scene in which Mr G demonstrates how to hug a boy with Down syndrome.

Centre Against Sexual Assault convenor Judy Flanagan said: "There is nothing humorous about rape. It is a serious criminal offence and has a profound impact on the victims."

Other groups said they would wait until the show aired before deciding whether to complain.

A spokesman for the Australian Communications and Media Authority said that the regulator could only investigate if viewers had first used the ABC's official complaints process and were still not satisfied.

Lilley, who spent months researching material for the new show by talking to pupils and teachers at schools in the inner west, said his wit was aimed at Mr G rather than at his victims.

"I don't think there will be any complaints once people see the context in which the subjects are set," he said.

"I am not trying to deliberately offend people ... the joke is clearly about Mr G's prejudices."

Lilley, 32, attended the private Barker College and studied for a teaching degree at Macquarie University.

Courtney Gibson, head of Arts, Entertainment and Comedy at the ABC, said: "Summer Heights High has been written with the utmost care to ensure the targets of the humour are characters like drama teacher Mr G.

"It is his bigotry and prejudices which are exposed and maligned by the program," she said.

Sydney Morning Herald

I too am looking forward to this show. Its already earned a lot of points with me for offending all the whingers who were interviewed in that article.

There's hardly an Australian comedian that I don't get a laugh out of, but Chris Lilley is one. I've never thought anything he did was funny, but, due to the controversy and the voiced outrage of Tony Wood, I'll be settling in to the first show with a beer and a grin.

Really P_D?

I think Chris Lilly s pretty damn funny, but We can be Heroes was something else.
That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!

This should be great!

I think Lilley's great, We Can Be Heroes had some great characters which were all flawed, yet made the audience care about their story.

[off topic]

OK, is it just me or does Tony Wood really seem to have his head on sideways? I know, fair enough, his daughter died from taking ecstasy, the weight of that is something I could not even begin to imagine. But the death was from water intoxication, which surely stems from a lack of education (or miseducation even) about the drugs effects. Sure I'm willing to admit that Anna would not have died that night without taking ecstasy, but she also would not have died that night if she knew that you could die from drinking too much water on pills.

If anything, I thought Tony Wood would become someone to embrace harm minimisation as it, more than anything the government is teaching us would have kept his daughter alive. Sorry, this rant's coming more from a doco I watched recently that screened in 2005... Insight - Dealing with Drugs. Wood was staunchly opposed to the drug and just couldn't seem to comprehend the fact that drugs will never completely disappear and that minimising harm to the end user would reduce the number of tragedies just like the one he has lived through.

Yeah, I think that tony wood is a retard. Sure my life would be pretty messed up if my daughter died too, but I really think he is an asshole. He dribbles so much shit.

I cant wait to see this show.

I've never heard of Chris Lilly but would really really enjoy something like this. It can be my debut for attending a play! (ben elton's popcorn doesn't count)

lol i just raed the article in depth and realised it was a TV series.

My next question was gonna be where is it and when is it on...

I wish Fleety (Greg Fleet: Full Frontal, Hahn Ice Headliners etc..) was still around! He was funny without being totally about drugs or saying fuck every 5 seconds.

But.. His LSD trip story was classic, and his woman's heroin ovberdose story was shocking.

Last I saw Fleety was on a comedy tour in 2001 and he was the host.

Well, I have to admit I did get a good laugh out of some of his gags. The character Jonah really did the job, particularly as we have young Maori lad with a good sense of humour staying with us atm. All in all, I thought it was far better than Lilley's previous work.

While this thread barely qualifies for drug discussion, I am interested in catching the E scene so despised by Tony Wood, so it looks like I'll be catching the whole series ;)

Seemed from the preview it might happen in the next episode (to keep this related to drug discussion). :)

Moving this thread to Aus Social to generate more discussion.

If you haven't seen it yet, you can catch all the episodes so far on the program website: http://www.abc.net.au/tv/summerheightshigh/#home

ABC, Wednesday night, 9.30pm

Tomorrow night's episode almost definitely has the ecstasy incident as mentioned in the OP.

"people are racist to us sir, so we can be racist to them"
"but redheads are not a race, jonah."
"yes they are! they're everywhere sir!"

Hahahaha

n675325675_271580_2188.jpg

:D

the_ketaman said:
Yeah, I think that tony wood is a retard. Sure my life would be pretty messed up if my daughter died too, but I really think he is an asshole. He dribbles so much shit.

I cant wait to see this show.

yeah he sucks hardcore, ignorant moron who continues to promote the attitudes that contributed to his daughter's death in the first place.

i'm surprised there wasn't more outrage over the jonah character than the e storyline but i guess the latter sells more papers in a racist and drug paranoid country.

on that subject i was at first slightly ambivalent about the jonah character. in we can be heroes, the character ricky wong was more about poking fun at racist white australians and their opinion of what is an australian, rather than poking fun at ricky himself. with the jonah character it's hard to see what the angle is other than poking fun at a stereotype, but does that make the character depiction racist? i don't really think so. should private school students be complaining about their depiction via ja'mie? should african americans be up in arms over a black crack dealer character on american television? if they aren't it's probably due to the large and diverse number of black characters on the box, and that is ultimately what will define jonah as a racist character depiction, a lack of polynesian characters on australian tv.

I imagine Summer Heights High is going to benefit from the increase in audience that Chaser's War on Everything (the show just before it) has had.

edited to add: Its 2am and what I just wrote looks really funny. Did I say that properly? I have grammar issues. :\

get ready for tonight kids. set your betas into overdrive!

...kytnism...:|