• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Talk Thread: If 2020 Was the Dumpster, Can 2021 Be the Fire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't sound like an asshole, to me.

My view on the EDM wave you're speaking of is that, yes, it is shitty and sucks to have to wade through to get to the real scene. And, at least where I grew up in the US, there really was no awareness of dance music before dubstep and brostep, and finally, EDM. So, it seems like a necessary evil to me, and not necessarily comparable to Europe's scene, where there historically has been higher dance music uptake. Worded differently, EDM sucks, but at least people are listening to and enjoying 4x4 beats, and thus incurring the potential of finding quality dance music. It is a gateway IMO, however shitty.

Thoughts?
My instinct would say that

!
But it's probably not as clear cut, so I take some of my words back, very hard to judge these differences from my perspective. It's a process...
Less so for my friend, he spent pretty much the whole night on the toilet after some calamari that didn't land well, I laughed and laughed lol. It was the start of a true alliance, scanning every week for events all over, and bringing three joints each.

I think I have to agree with most of the points on the EDM evolution topic.
As a psytrance fan the late 90s and earlier 2000s seemed to be totally polluted with cookie cutter crap.
And I am sure all the OG 80s and 90s electronic genres experienced the same thing.
I also have to agree with the paradigm shift that took place as far as digital music production techniques go.

I also want to point out that when I first got into electronic music in the early 2000s there was definitely a feeling
of Europe in general being pretty far ahead of us as far as the mainstream acceptance of that music went. I remember
hearing US pop music from that time first starting to use EuroTrance sounds that had been in Europe for the better part
of a decade already. Country, Pop, R&B, Rap, Rock/Metal and related genres just ruled the mainstream with an iron fist.

I'm like 3 tracks into Metallica's S&M album right now....

Yeah I agree on psytrance, I was never really into it but I remember listening to a couple albums early on that were actually really good, but at some point it seems to have settled on one type of sound, and now all those youtube mixes sound the same to me. Those guys are excellent at making visuals videos though, never figured out how they do it exactly, some are really impressive and must require a lot of effort.
When you look at techno, you can clearly identify styles and sounds linked to certain regions and especially years/eras, and after x time of that sound dominating things got stale again and then people started doing new things again, not always that great but still... I feel like this never happened with psytrance, you can only do so much with the same high bpm beat.

Ah, I went and looked at really old playlists and those tracks are classified as goa, Hallucinogen, Astral Projection.... :) psytrance feels more rigid and refined, don't know for sure. Cool man, it must be 7 years since I listened to this stuff

modern goa has really good tracks. This set is fucking insane goa tracks really crazy visuals on acid. Fucking really next level on 300 ug + doses.

Fuck i miss tripping. My last truly heroic dose was in oct. that group of 300-400 ug trips i did in sept though will be forever some of my fav trips of my entire life. Without them i would not be when i am sitting today. Maybe in june ill take 300-400 ug again. Since ill have over a month break. But around bicycle day planning on taking 105 ug.

I know the trip is going to be fucking crazy magical since this is a long as as break. I do not really like normal psytrance but i like darkpsy forest psy and goa trance.

Psytrance holds a weird spot for me, I very rarely listen to it but some of the absolute best raves I've ever been to were small in the middle of no where psytrance gatherings with ~100-150 people attending. Psytrance brings out the special kind of absolute craziness when almost every single person is tripping, I can even smell the changa on the dance floor just thinking about it.

I've been listening to a lot of soft house / lo-fi instrumental hip-hop playlists on Spotify lately, myself. It's too bland for focused listening, but I find it works really well as background music while working / reading / etc. Has anyone else had a chance to check out the new Shpongle EP?

the only thing keeping my sanity intact is by meditating in the presence of being. I really need a joint one day to chill out. All i can do is reflect on the truths shown to me in LSD and bask that warmth of knowing. Deep down everything is okay but sometimes i just want to cry but not in a bad way just cry faced with the beauty of the absolute reality the highest truth that anybody can tap into in the NOW. Been able to close my eyes and just let go fully into some peaceful state and reside there for a little bit is the thing keeping me going.

Plus the heavenly voice of snatam kaur

I've been listening to a lot of soft house / lo-fi instrumental hip-hop playlists on Spotify lately, myself. It's too bland for focused listening, but I find it works really well as background music while working / reading / etc. Has anyone else had a chance to check out the new Shpongle EP?
I didn’t realize shpongle came out with a new album till you mentioned it.
I read your post last night and went on Spotify and listened to not the last Shpongle EP but the one that Simon released in 2020, his quarantine album. And that was some REALLY good sounds. I was on the tail end of a 3 meo PCE trip, laying in bed waiting for sleep to come, and it was perfect for that. It was more mellow than I’m used to from Shpongle but equally as shamanic and psychedelic. I listened to the whole thing before putting on the new EP and falling asleep shortly after that.
What genre is Shpongle? I used to think it was psytrance until I went to a psytrance party and found the music very off putting and not very psychedelic. It was just really loud, heavy, fast and repetitive beats, not much in the way of melody.
I actually saw Shpongle the first time they played in the US. It was July 4th 2009, the late night set at Rothbury right after The Dead finished their set. For some reason it smelled like mothballs all over the place. Weird??!!?!!

Yeah, I think the genre Psybient was basically invented to describe Shpongle music, although I think the name sounds a little silly.
Shpongle was my awakening into psychedelic music. The newest EP was interesting. Has that zany tripping at a circus vibe.
I try not to go on about how much of a Sphongle and Tool fanboy I have been at times in my life. 2 years ago I just HAD to see
Shpongle's last full live show at Red Rocks. It was my first time at the venue and it blew my mind. My buddy took a Tesla and
was basically just curled up at my feet the whole first show.... We were nearly first row at that one, but the next night I hung way back
in the crowd which was actually way better. And my friend could function as a normal human the second night....
A different vibe than Psytrance for sure. Definitely has a unique pungent sweet chemical smell. Never realized music could have a smell....

I was just writing a quotation for this wealthy east indian fellow, he was in a meeting so I was just wandering around the property looking at which trees need immediate attention. These 3 guys stumble out of a house on the property and this one older guy had so much cocaine on his face I could've scraped myself a big line of it.

He looked absurdly high, it was like he had slammed his face into a pile of it for breakfast.

Going to try see if i can get a doctor to refer me to a adhd clinic but it will be tough trying to a script with my records. But i truly believe i acutally have adult adhd and always self medicated myself since 14 with street stimulants like speed.

Taking Ritalin completes me makes me so fucking calm but also emotional aswell i want to cry alot while wired sometimes just thinking about life

@TripSitterNZ isnt Grouch (/in dub) from nz?
I know Grouch really well--we go way back from when he just started making music. I'm glad that he's done so well for himself.
My wife exposed me to a lot of NZ dub reggae bands in the mid '00s - Salmonella dub, Fat Freddy's Drop come to mind, can't remember other name's off the top of the head. Not NZ, but sort of similar vibes is Sashamon (hawaii I think?).
I love NZ music from that era. Trinity Roots, Little Bushman, Tehimanna Kerr, dDub, Tahuna Breaks, Kora--their early stuff was all so freaking good. I never did like kiwi D&B much, though. Pitch Black and Rhombus were alright, but they don't count.

Well, I'm a dumbass. I took 6mg of 5-MeO-PiPT within 24hrs of St. John's Wort and tetrahydroharmine. The experience was weak, and all it did was make me feel warm, sweaty, and weird. I dunno if that means it's a dud or if that was just a drug interaction, but I'm not exactly amped to revisit it. I left more detailed notes in my 5-MeO-PiPT trip report thread.

I found electronic music about the time I found psychedelics and my life was forever changed.

Back then it was (psy/)trance, house,jungle/dnb .... and though I erroneously simplify a lot of the music I currently listen to as such, for the sake of the edm naive, if I am to be honest a lot of the nuonces between some of the similar (sub)genres are often lost on me.

On Wednesday I had insufflated about 45 mg of tiletamine, in two halves over the course of 30mins. I wasn’t in too deep and being functional I decided to put on some psytrance sets while I did some yoga.

The stretching, though difficult lol, felt amazing. And though it wasn’t an incredibly visual experience, the music (and some weed) really seemed to bring on cevs.

Anyways, listening to some day din, or maybe it was durs, and doing some yoga. It sounded amazing. And then just as it’s winding down and I’m getting ready for relaxation pose the set ends. And I’m now focused entirely on relaxing.

(Slight hangover the next day. 7/10 will definitely repeat.... but I’ll almost always choose electro lol)

Last edited:
Finished my introduction for my research already have 23 reference articles in it.

Just had one of my new friends come to talk she was really struggling with studies. I do like talking while wired i always find it interesting though that out of everyone women usually come to me to just talk and cry always when im on drugs.

I think the introduction was the hardest part and now that i have read so much fucking research i know shit loads about fucking seagrass now that writing my body will make it around 3 pages then a one page conclusion. Tbh i feel like some fucking clean meth like 5 mg oral would work wonders for getting stuff done. But meth is a slippery tool that like only less than 0.5% of users manage to use and control to their advantage.

Then i will make a 12 min presentation on analytical chemistry methods. After that somehow have to quickly learn advanced nmr write a 12 page report within a short space of time. I need more stimulants to keep up seriosuly would not be able to do shit sober. Without extra energy i would be sleeping to much.

Though some nights i feel stressed just residing into those lsyergic memories destresses me pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.