• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Modafinil Discussion

A quick google found this statement.

"The most tempting drug for our society to come along in decades,” David Dinges, Univesity of Pennsylvania

While Provigil is FDA-approved only for narcolepsy, OSAHS and SWSD, many physicians are prescribing it for patients who do not suffer from one of these conditions but exhibit similar symptoms. It is estimated that 90% of the Provigil use in the United States is "off-label". An off label use is one that was not studied as a part of the FDA approval process.

Note that modafinil is a schedule C-IV controlled substance and should not be treated lightly. It is illegal to sell this drug to people who do not have a doctor's prescription.

Provigil is being subscribed to millions of people for "off-label" or “lifestyle” uses, including:

* Age-related memory decline
* Attention deficit disorder
* Depression
* Fatigue caused by high-pressure jobs requiring long hours
* Fatigue caused by chemotherapy treatment for cancer patients
* Fatigue experienced by persons suffering from diseases such as multiple sclerosis
* Fatigue experienced by people who need to be awake and alert for extended amounts of times such as soldiers, truckers or students cramming for finals
* Jet lag
* Memory problems associated with Alzheimer’s disease
* Post-anesthesia grogginess
* Sleepiness caused by other prescription medications
* Treatment for cocaine addiction

Currently, many clinical trials are taking place to assess the effectiveness in using Provigil to treat other conditions than EDS associated with narcolepsy, OSAHS and SWSD. There have been no long term studies on the effects of recreational use of Provigil.

Link

It will probably only be a matter of time before Australian doctors are handing out scripts to it the way Americans GP's are. 90% off label? 8o

I LOL'ed @ David Dinges' comment above. IMO the potential for abuse of this drug is very, very low. Maybe because I have narcolepsy and don't use it as a recreational drug I don't get any 'great' effects, but really, it does nada for me other than keep me awake. And, that's just fine with me, that's what I use it for. I just can't see where anyone who has taken this drug could think it could have anywhere near the addiction rate of Adderal, Dex, or similar drugs.

Hoptis, I have heard of sooo many non-narcoleptics getting Provigil RX's for off label use. When they tell me they're taking it for ADD (which is what I always hear), I just laugh, they don't even realize it was made to keep narcoleptics awake.

IMO it should be illigal. The education should be unbias. I think there should a a third party that passes on infomation about drugs to doctors. None of the fancey shit they get.

Heh, if this was the case the drug companies would just be buying the third party the goodies :p

^ They're obtaining them from outside sources and giving them to other hospital staff?

Huh, interesting. I would have thought doctors would find it easier to have newer pharms like this Rx'd.

I was part of a clinical trial testing modafinil for meth withdrawal.
Good they're testing out medications for this purpose as there's not much at the moment...
I'm hoping to find out the results pretty soon, though I'm pretty sure I had the placebo.

ok - 3 months on from the last discussion.....are people still beleiving what is being said about abuse potential?

i dont think modafinil will be staying on its current schedule for very long

the information sheet in the Indian made generic brand appears to be more accurate than the brand available in australia

"XXXXXX - the central stimulant of nervous system. The exact mechanism of action Modapro in creation of stimulating effects is not clear.

XXXXXX restores and-or improves a level and duration of awake and day time vigilance in the manner connected to a dose. XXXXXX opposes deterioration cognitive, psychomotor and neurosensorial the work caused by deprivation of dream. XXXXXX makes influencing on mentality and euphoric effects, changes in mood, perception, thinking and the sensations of typical for others CNS of stimulants. They changes are made without anyone adverse changes in behaviour and appetite"

It is not addictive.

I was prescribed modafinil for a long period of time and had no withdrawal.

Upping the dose gives undesirable effects.

What else can I say... but it is not addictive.

may not be addictive but it sure as hell has abusable potential
just like all meds, upping the dosage may sit well with some and not others
i personally place modafinil in the mild-strong stimulant class

I did some research on it when I was looking for treatment for my fatigue earlier on the year and was under the impression it wasn't overly euphoric or habit-forming.

I didn't end up trying to get a prescription, though that may still be in the cards if I have another health relapse. I discussed it with a doctor in my family and she didn't even know what the hell it was, so I'm not getting my hopes up of convincing my doctor to write a script.

Has anyone had any personal experience using it medically to combat fatigue?

that's what they want us to beleive - getting siloed with the likes of dex,adderral,desoxyn wouldn't be good marketing

if taking it medically includes self administration then yes - a very effective approach

Maybe I should speak to him about it after all.

The irony is if it does work I'll be pissed off being housebound for all this time for nothing :X I supposed there's no substitute for bed rest when it comes to recovering from illness though, stimulants only cover up the symptoms, which is why I avoided just drinking coffee or smoking shards or w/e.

fyi, modafinil PBS prices in australia are only available to diagnosed narcolepsy peeps, therefore the price of modafinil is ridiculously ridiculous for peeps with ADHD, CFS etc - so ordering them online with australian prescription from OS will save you an absolute packet (pm me if you want a good legit source that I use)

modafinil has its place with the likes of dex with benefits such as it doesnt come with the rapid up&down effect, duration is way longer and appetite is not affected as much.

lol there's is no abuse potential from modavigil

people will try to get hooked on anything to be cool............

lol there's is no abuse potential from modavigil

people will try to get hooked on anything to be cool............

and as long as there are people like you around, modafinil will stay S4 - thank you

While a big fan of Modafinil myself, it must be treated with far, far greater caution than the extant literature suggests.

I have seen first hand with an associate that these things build tolerance, quickly. Further, the physical withdrawl symptoms, if one does manage to develop a habit, are enough to have you in bed for days.

fortehuls: whilst i do not question your friends reaction to stopping the drug, i do however question your definition of withdrawal.

Withdrawal? From modafinil? Explain...

fortehuls: whilst i do not question your friends reaction to stopping the drug, i do however question your definition of withdrawal.

When he ran out of his supplies, which he takes in utterly insane quantities (up to 1600mg a day, plus enormous quantities of Caffeine at one point I beleive), he spent several days in bed seriously ill, unable to function. The precise details I will ascertain when next he and I catch up.

Believe me when I say this, and without giving too much away about the bloke, an extremely senior Psychiatrist has described the situation as something they've not seen anything like before, but he's in excellent hands medically and it could well end up the subject of research.