• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Modafinil Discussion

Its a good medicine to take to get work done.

I 100% DISAGREE. ive seen what it does to my mum (whos prescribed it for sleep apnea) She takes anything from 2 - 4 100mg pills a day and needs sleeping pills to come down.
Any way, she runs around all day like a crazed speed addict doing 20 things at the same time, but never seems to get any thing done. it affects her memory pretty bad as well. needless to say im not a fan of modagvil. the affects of it remind me of the old woman on 'Requiem For A Dream'. and when she has a break for a day (doctors orders every 2 weeks) its like being around a recovering alcoholic.

I tried some myself the other day. 200mg, and it hardly affected me at all. same effects and alertness as drinking a strong coffee. still i suppose everyones different when it comes to chemicals. but i would recommend a high dosage of this if anyone is keen on trying it. :)

I think she needs to talk to the doctor about her dosage.

It looks like I am going to be getting either 200mg or 400mg a day of this stuff for free. I probably wont use it that often.

I have never tried it before. I get bad anxiety with other stimulants, even coffee sometimes. Hopefully this is better.

Anyone ever take it with opiates (Medicinal doses)?

Modafinil / Provigil in Australia

Hi there.

I've been on Dexamphetamine for about 10 years for ADHD and it still works for me, but sometimes I'm still depressed and unmotivated and I've heard that Modafinil can provide clarity of mind and a mood elevation effect which sounds like it would go really well with the dex.

I went to my GP and asked for Provigil by saying that I've taken it before in years past and would like to go back on it, because from what I read, it doesn't need a psychiatrist's authority, but that to get it on the PBS I would need to do a sleep study. Also, I read that you can only be authorised to get it on the PBS if you already can't take Dexamphetamine. Now my doctors knows I'm on dex, but since I take a lot of other heavily sedating medications as well, he understood the need for wakefulness and went to his computer. No Provigil found was the result. He tried a few variations and such but couldn't find it.

Now AFAIK that's what it's called in Australia - Provigil. That's what the almighty Google led me to believe. He said he's going to "look it up" over the weekend. Since I have to go back on Monday anyway (my ear is blocked), I want to be prepared for what he finds out.

So what's the go with Modafinil/Provigil ? Has anyone in Australia been prescribed it, by who, and for what condition ? Information greatly appreciated.

I never found modafinil to provide any mood elavation at all, just clean, natural feeling stimulation that was more akin to wiping out fatigue than a more traditional stimulant. Unless you specifically have a problem with chronic fatigue or somesuch, or have a need to function long hours without sleep, I don't think it'll do you much good.

I have a bit of a fucked up sleep/work pattern. I work as a freelance web jockey, so I have the luxury of working from home, at hours I choose, which is good because...

I wake up early, take dex at 7am and 1pm, along with some other stuff. But I do really nothing all day, I procrastinate, I waste time. It's not until around 8-9pm I start to become alive and awake again. I actually get interested in doing stuff and more focussed on it. If I take my dex later in the day, or take an extra dose around 4-5pm, it's enough to see me through to the next morning and onto the following day without going to sleep. I hate sleeping during the day, because it fucks my body clock, so I'd prefer to just go the second day without sleep. Ironically though, I actually function better the second day without sleep.

I don't know if it's the sleep deprivation, or a build up of dex in the system, but I find myself sorta "buzzed" the second day. I can see through the wall of fatigue and function a little bit better than the previous day. As a result, I often find myself doing these 2 or 3 day stretches without sleep because once I sleep, I'm useless for the following 12-16 hours until I go into "night mode".

Since sleep, or awakefulness seems to be my problem, I thought a sleep combatting drug might be of some benefit. Any comments ?

i was looking into smart drugs, modafinil included and it sparked some interested
how would this drug compare to ritalin/dexamphet?
either to compliment and keep stimulant tolerance at bay, or as a substitute?

i was also looking into piracetam and selegiline, but i am yet to experiment with any of these 'smart drugs'...

It would certainly assist in wiping out any symptoms of fatigue later in the binge.

Piracetam did nothing for me. I wasn't really impressed. I did only give it a week or so, but I couldn't tell for sure that it was having any effect.

There is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEE difference betweeen the chepo generic stuff from India and the real prescribed 'Modavigil'. I have in the past used some type of modafinil from some suss country and found it made me jittery, sick to the stomach and gave me nasty headaches. Now I'm prescribed the brand name Modavigil (bloody expensive) for excessive tired and meth addiction and have found that the proper stuff has no real come on, works effectively at keeping me awake, keeps mt meth cravings somewhat at bay, and has no obvious comedown. It makes me feel like a "normal" person I think. From what I rememeber before years of addiction it makes me feel awake like normal, and then tired like normal. Definately worth the dollars I'm spending on it if it keeps me off the meth. 9 days and counting, guys :D

Generic Modalert from India makes me nauseas. This is a major side effect of modafinil, but I get the feeling that brand name stuff is better.

The nausea can be prevented with an anti-emetic antihistamine (cinnarizine or promethazine), but this also prevents some of the modafinil's stimulant effects, perhaps due to an inhibition of its dopaminergic effects.

Does anyone know of another way to avoid nausea from modafinil?

Metoclopramide is another good anti-emetic. I think it works on serotonin in the brain but don't quote me on that. I've never had any drowsiness or decrease in stimulation from it.

yeah don't underestimate the power of ginger, it's really good for nausea.

heh we found an old modavigil script in the cupboard, but it's out of date, was thinking of going and getting more, but $180 is pretty pricey for a script when I could pay the same price and go get dexamphetamine

has anyone on here tried Sulbutiamine? How did they compare the effects?

Yeah sucks how expensive it is i got scripted some as i cant get more than 12 dexies a day :(
Sulbutiamine is not as good as modafinil

Yeah sucks how expensive it is i got scripted some as i cant get more than 12 dexies a day :(

12 dexies a day!! o.0

Fucking what? lol

How can you not be content with that? I have a friend who is scripted 10 a day and takes 2.

If your not getting the effects you need from 12 dexies then I dont think modadinil will even touch the sides for you. Tolerance is definately a factor but even then I cant see it having anywhere near the same result as all those amphets your eating.

Best of talking to your psyche and trying other options dude, because if the doses your taking arent working then something needs to be done.

Where did you get the modanifil from? Was it the same person who scripts you the dex?

Im on ritalin for adhd at 30mg a day. Works fine, but Im going to need to take it for another 3 years to get through my degree so I'm considering trialing modanifil to use to fill the gap on my self enforced ritalin tolerance breaks.

I'm hesitant asking for more ritalin, not that I have to at the moment but that day will come. What are my chances of my psychiatrist scripting modanifil for this purpose?
I may just go to a GP and get a one off script for a trial, considering my background and area of expertise I dont see this being an issue.

Has anyone tried to use this stim in a similar fashion with good results?

I can go without the ritalin easy as pie, but I do find uni to be rather pointless when I'm not taking it - concentration issues etc. Modanifil could be effective as a tempoary/occassional fix maybe?

^ Modafinil and dexamphetamine work in very different ways though, it would be interesting to see if it did help him considering his large tolerance.

I used to be on 19 dexies a day!
I been using them for well over a decade.
yeah i get the modafinil off the same doctor as i get my dexies i dont have any other good options. strattera sucks, i dont like the ritalin crash and modafinil is not watched like other stims.

Well they can only legally prescribe a certain amount per month. I was on 6 per day, but I told the dr I was taking up to 15 for when I was at work. He was ok with that as i was functioning on it, he had also written the prescription so I could get it filled every 3 weeks instead of 4, so I was able to get 200 every 3 weeks, but because I could only get a certain amount every 6 months if I did take the 200 every 3 weeks then therw ould be a gap of like a month and a half before I could get another script.

only had sulbutiamine a few times, it gave me headaches each time :-|

on the modavigil/adhd tip, I found modavigil to be completely useless in me for concentration, infact it made me really impulsive and hyperactive, everyoe that saw me on it commented on how all over the place I became from it, certainly not my choice of stimulant for focus, I find caffeine in doses of around 30mg to be more effective lol