Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Codeine Extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.
DHC is certainly not a major issue but would be less desirable for certain means of administration and dosing.

My main concern is contamination from the catalyst.
I believe it to be possible to use finely powdered platinum but a much larger amount would be required, which would then increase the risk of some catalyst remaining in the reaction.

My thought was that minus the acidic environment would allow for more platinum to be recovered.

DoctorShop said:
That doesn't mean you haven't done any liver damage. Not suggesting you have or anything...

Have you ever read the back of paracetamol/etc pills? They always same something to the effect: "If you think you have overdosed go to the hospital even if you dont feel any pain, as it could leave irreversible liver damage".

Again, not saying you have overdosed or anything, your idea could have worked fine...

point taken
thanks mate

retrogradeamnesia said:
DHC is certainly not a major issue but would be less desirable for certain means of administration and dosing.

My main concern is contamination from the catalyst.
I believe it to be possible to use finely powdered platinum but a much larger amount would be required, which would then increase the risk of some catalyst remaining in the reaction.

My thought was that minus the acidic environment would allow for more platinum to be recovered.

Never tried platinum black (just finely powdered would not be as efficient). I guess Pd on carbon would work OK. I get back ALL the catalyst (well, a tiny bit of mechanical loss). It's not like palladium black will ever dissolve in the mixture. Are you thinking of a complex of some kind forming?
For DHC to form, that 7,8 double-bond has to be reduced and I don't see THAT happening in a hurry. I think it's a straight 3 product mix. Unchanged codeine, hydrocodone & dihydronorthebainone. CaOH removes the latter easily. If you want to remove the codeine, then the ketone in the hydrocodone will form a complex so you can seperate it out. I never bothered.

If you were to basify the solution (after the dihydronorthebaine has been removed) and smoke it, wouldnt it be a good idea to go to the extra effort and remove the codeine aswel?

im too lazy to look but was it in this thread that someone said they added 4g of freebase hydrocodone to 200g opium?

dtasrt_lk said:
If you were to basify the solution (after the dihydronorthebaine has been removed) and smoke it, wouldnt it be a good idea to go to the extra effort and remove the codeine aswel?

It smoked just fine, why would I go to all that trouble, losing product, just to remove a small amount of something non-toxic?

doesnt aspirin also have the phenol group?, what do they use to make it dissolve in water soluble tabs

Hey everyone.

When doing a typical CWE I discovered how sometimes the water would climb over the edges of the filter and drip over the edge of the glass. I corrected this problem by placeing a saucer under the glass. However, now im trying a new method I call the Syphon CEW.

The glass full of pills and water is higher then the collector glass. A napkin is rolled long wise and wet with water to make a soggy rope. One end of this is placed in the pill glass with the other end dangeling over the edge lower then the bottom of the glass. This causes a syphon which then drips into the second glass. The means the liquid has to pass through all the filter, not just one isolated place where bits of matrial can get through. The syphon also has to go up also hindering garbage Ibprofen or Paracetamol from moveing accross, thanks to gravity. So far the filtrate is crystal clear, and can't be told apart from a glass of water. It is however slow so if your in a hurry it might not be for you. It probably is a good way for the first timers out there as it seems safer-unless someone can point out a flaw I don't yet see.

Anyone out there who would like to test the practice?

im very willing to give it a try. Is there any way you can put up a picture? im not sure about little things like do you just leave the pills to dissolve (or stir) then submerge the napkin just below the surface of the solution?

it sounds like a good idea. I realise it would take a while. Also how do you make sure you get every bit of codeine you can out of the solution? Is it just me or does this method sounds like you would lose a fair bit of codeine?

When using paracetamol based pills i get a very clear solution anyway, but il give this a go anyway. good idea

these days i like to do the extraction, evaporate the water and then take the powder in a capsule. but if you can explain it a bit more thoroughly id appreciate it.

retrogradeamnesia said:
doesnt aspirin also have the phenol group?, what do they use to make it dissolve in water soluble tabs

Spot on the money! So you can use lime to drag THAT out of solution as well. Don't forget, codeine freebase is less soluable than salts (but is still soluable) so you need to use more water.

http://www.bluelight.ru/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=43625&cat=621

If your in a hurry then follow the other methoed. The flow rate is approx one drop a sec. If you strive for purity then its good. Id say its good for a first timer because its harder to screw up so theres less likely chance of someone drinking a large gulp of Ibprofen or Para. The sludge left in the bottom of the glass can be forced through another filter back into the same glass and left to syphon, this leaves the sludge as a dryish crumbly mass. The syphon filter gets rather dry towards the end of the exraction. Make sure the drip end of the filter is always lower then the water level otherwise the syphon will stop.

It works a charm haribo

So would, 5ml of water per tab and 10:1 codeine:caoh be suitable.?
Bring to temp add caoh solution and filter while hot?

off to grab some codox for this headache...

Do you guys (and gals) get neurofen+ as a paind medication?

i used to use N+ for extractions when I started using codeine. But its one of the worst ive ever used.

Ibuprofen is an acid and codeine (freebase) is an alkali. Dig?

haribo1 said:
Never tried platinum black (just finely powdered would not be as efficient). I guess Pd on carbon would work OK. I get back ALL the catalyst (well, a tiny bit of mechanical loss). It's not like palladium black will ever dissolve in the mixture. Are you thinking of a complex of some kind forming?
For DHC to form, that 7,8 double-bond has to be reduced and I don't see THAT happening in a hurry. I think it's a straight 3 product mix. Unchanged codeine, hydrocodone & dihydronorthebainone. CaOH removes the latter easily. If you want to remove the codeine, then the ketone in the hydrocodone will form a complex so you can seperate it out. I never bothered.

Thanks for the information haribo. There was just one more thing I was wondering, and that is, what are the dangers of the codeine, pre-reaction, being tainted with small amounts of paracetemol, from the CWE? That is to say, how would this affect the reaction, and would it be possible that this would produce toxic by-products?

Also, is it wise to use caution handling comparatively large amounts of hydrocodone (since for example a gram of codeine might equal three doses whereas the same for hydrocodone might equal thirty or sixty doses)? Would this best be handled in solution?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.