• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos boost or dull opiate experience?

Stimulating Opioids (well for some people) like hydro or oxy may feel a little more natural with some extra sedation thrown in. Either way the bottom line is: 9 OUT OF 10 OPIOID OD'S ARE IN COMBINATION WITH ANOTHER SEDATIVE!

So Just keep this in mind when mixing fairly high doses and try to be careful when redosing as both benzos and non IV dope (aka eating pills) seem to have fairly poor outcomes when redosed, even at the same original dosage or 150% of the original dose. This is when the binge factor aka "fuck it I'm going home or I'm going broke" mentality comes in and 3 to 4 days worth of shit is wasted.

Good luck and stay sensible!

The reason why benzodiazepines tend to dull an opioid high is because opioids produce euphoria by working on GABA receptors. Opioids reduce GABA levels to increase dopamine levels in the ventral tegmental area/nucleus accumbens. Using benzos, which increase GABA binding, will reduce the dopaminergic-function of opioids because of this to a certain extent.

I'm not sure if the opioid-mediated dopamine release is based on GABA-B subset antagonism or not though.

The reason why benzodiazepines tend to dull an opioid high is because opioids produce euphoria by working on GABA receptors. Opioids reduce GABA levels to increase dopamine levels in the ventral tegmental area/nucleus accumbens. Using benzos, which increase GABA binding, will reduce the dopaminergic-function of opioids because of this to a certain extent.

I'm not sure if the opioid-mediated dopamine release is based on GABA-B subset antagonism or not though.

You ar delving into some complexy pharmacology but that is a real possible argument. Unfortunately, somehow even benzos increase dopamine (slightly) through a loopy mechanism in the nucleus accumbens (almost 100% of drugs of abuse do).

So maybe letting a benzo kick in first then dosing the opioid would be the best way to handle the situation.

Either way BENZOS + OPIOIDS CAN = EXTREME RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION WHICH CAN LEAD TO DEATH! Please, please be safe. Although junkies I know 6 feet under died due to dosing high on both ends.

PLEASE STAY!!!!

I like to use my opiates sparingly so I do find that a low dose of benzo's makes a low to moderate dose opiate experience better. If you could just take a higher dose of opiates it IS better but benzo's, particularly diazepam (valium), do increase the enjoyment for me without having to take as big of a dose. If you dose the benzo's too high it can dull your opiate high and even if you hit the right dose of benzo's mixed with a moderate amount of opiates its nice but not as nice as a larger dose. It really depends how expensive and easy to source opiates are for you whether its worth your while or not, obviously personal preference will play a big role aswell.

I like to use my opiates sparingly so I do find that a low dose of benzo's makes a low to moderate dose opiate experience better. If you could just take a higher dose of opiates it IS better but benzo's, particularly diazepam (valium), do increase the enjoyment for me without having to take as big of a dose. If you dose the benzo's too high it can dull your opiate high and even if you hit the right dose of benzo's mixed with a moderate amount of opiates its nice but not as nice as a larger dose. It really depends how expensive and easy to source opiates are for you whether its worth your while or not, obviously personal preference will play a big role aswell.

You're a complete idiot. Who knew that they would give you moderator privileges for doling out irresponsible drivel?

^^^^^^^
You're a complete idiot. Who knew that they would give you moderator privileges for doling out irresponsible drivel?

Uhh, I think I speak for us all when I say:
Hey, at least his the post answered the OP's question AND gave us some of his insight into the subject of the thread, your post didn't contribute a damn thing.

...And your telling people their idiots?8)

imo they definately boost if you're short on opiates, but if you've got plenty of opiates its a bit pointless to take benzos alongside... that said you don't want to overdo the benzos/opiate combination or you'll just fall asleep and it will have been a waste of both substances... and that said i don't really know what i'm talkin about opiates not bein my domain of expertise so as to say...
that sed, nuff sed...

Couldnt have said so better myself.

benzos boost the sedation/fucked up-ness

but benzos detract from the overall euphoria

i dont like benzos with Oxy or Dillies or fent patches, but i do enjoy benzos and hydrocodone or poppin xannies with some codiene prometh syurp also but i dont really like benzos with more euphoric opioids cuz with those i am lookin for a specific feeling ya know

Last edited:
I like the extra sedation produced when combining the two, particularly temazepam+heroin

All I'm saying is that reccomending someone to use an extremely dangerous combo to 'stretch out your stash' is not harm reduction, it's irresponsible.

A friend died from a Xanax/Heroin combo, as I said earlier in this thread, they found him dead with the needle still in his arm.

More recently I found another old friend had OD'd on a batch of heroin apparently (according to tox screen) cut with temazapam (Santa Cruz black tar). He wasn't used to this batch and to make a long story short he's now basically retarded from being out so long due to retarded junkies afraid to call the ambulance until it was too late.

Not in order to compromise with you guys, but if you have prescription oxy and prescription benzo then it is orders of magnitude less risky, still a really bad idea. Both Oxy and Benzos cloud your judgement, not to mention anteretrograde amnesia from the benzo, perhaps forgetting how much you've already done. It's just reckless.

Back in my addict days, the only way I could get any sleep at night was to take a little bit of Xanax, as opis have such a "speedy" effect on me. That was a nice feeling, though. Thus, while I would not exactly vote for "boost", I would say that this particular benzo enhanced the opiate effects in a very pleasant way. I never would have taken that combo when I needed to be alert and active, and I also did not care for the effects of benzos by themselves. (This could be because the only time I ever took them unaccompanied by an opiate was when I was in wd, when I felt crappy anyway, so my experience may be colored by that.)

You don't need to use SWIM here. :) we all know it's you and it makes your posts difficult to read.

To Yerg:

Thanks for the heads up. As you can tell by the greenlighter status, I'm new to posting. I'm in pain management for chronic back pain and came across this site a few months ago but I finally got the balls to stop lurking and just post. Again, thanks for the courtesy.

Right now I have a script of oxycodone (a shitty one-5mg/325mgAPAP) . These are supposed to last me a week. If I take them as prescribed I should be fine. However, me being an addict I want to save them ALL , or most of them as all is impossible (as I Just had my tonsils removed and feel like hell). Maybe it would be an option to take 1/2 my doses and use Klonopin as a booster. I'll try it later on and see how it is.

The only opiate I use currently is buprenorphine (suboxone). And the only way I can get an opiate like feeling from it, is if I take with a benzo.

I'm the same way with bupe. Not saying that it doesn't help me without a benzo but, its much better with one.

Are you two (above) referring to any benzo in particular ? Or just benzos in general ?

Personally.. I don't like mixing the two. Benzos are an overpowering buzz for me. They cancel out any high i've ever tried to combine with whether it be marijuana, opiates, speed. Only thing they work good with is alcohol.

I've always found that benzos just kill my opiate buzz and thats disappointing, considering its by far the most enjoyable buzz for me.:)

Not so much overpower as dull... as the OP so adequately stated. Strong opies are better off on their own and the benzos on their own or with bupe or something. Be careful with the alcohol mix thatbird people die from overdoing it when the black out...