• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin Megathread

I am prescribed 400mg a day for anxiety, and it works great.

If i take 2-3 grams, seperated into 2-3 doses taken 45 minutes to an hour apart, I end up high as a kite. The high seems to vary from time to time, sometimes like a drunk, sometimes like a disassociative, sometimes like a sedative. I have excellent active dreams when i sleep on it.

Love it when I'm coming off of meth. in combo with my buproprion it extends the high and brings me down very slow and soft.

I've noticed it treats everyone different, but i love it. And don't go thinkin its because I'm some kind of rookie. you name it, I've done it. prolly more than once. fucked my life up real good before i started receiving legit psychiatric care.

got it? *drops mic*

Wow so many haters of Gabapentin. I love this drug. But do what you want. I enjoy it.

I've been taking gabapentin for about 2 or 3 months. It has been great for my fibromyalgia and anxiety. My psychiatrist put me on 1-2 300mg x3 a day. I have developed new nerve pain in my legs that is really bad and I'm hoping that maybe increasing my dose will help quell that as well. Its nice with the hydrocodone for my arthritis pain.

(I know that some people try and get high on this or lyrica. I did try lyrica as a teen and it basically reduced all my motor control to nothing. I was a sober mind inside a drunk body, running into walls. It lasted a full day and it was terrible. It seems like this is a common experience for people on lyrica and gabapentin.)

Wow so many haters of Gabapentin. I love this drug. But do what you want. I enjoy it.

Yeah like today one of my friends was going on and on about "bro that shit fucks with your GABA receptors so hard" and meanwhile I'm thinking "...actually it doesn't act on GABA at all..."

I enjoy it. Its the only thing that's helped with my anxiety since coming off a brutal 3 year benzo addiction. I thought I was gonna be too anxious to leave the house, or speak to people, forever. It helps me live a normal life and for that I'm extremely grateful. This is at 900mg/daily, never once have I been tempted to go above this dose. I didn't take any this past Friday and I was completely fine. Whereas, during the peak of my Xanax addiction, if I didn't have any all day I would be a MESS.

Some of the "withdrawal horror stories" initially dissuaded me from getting this prescribed, but I think there's a lot of over exaggeration going on. Most of the w/d reports I read are from people who have either a) never been through a REAL withdrawal in their life (im looking at you benzos and opis) OR b) people who are prescribed this but are also on a cocktail of downers, opiates, pain meds, benzos, alcohol, other meds etc and at that point, how would you even know what's causing what? I'm not saying this doesn't have a w/d component, but I cant for the life of me imagine it being as miserable as benzos.

Yeah like today one of my friends was going on and on about "bro that shit fucks with your GABA receptors so hard" and meanwhile I'm thinking "...actually it doesn't act on GABA at all..."

I enjoy it. Its the only thing that's helped with my anxiety since coming off a brutal 3 year benzo addiction. I thought I was gonna be too anxious to leave the house, or speak to people, forever. It helps me live a normal life and for that I'm extremely grateful. This is at 900mg/daily, never once have I been tempted to go above this dose. I didn't take any this past Friday and I was completely fine. Whereas, during the peak of my Xanax addiction, if I didn't have any all day I would be a MESS.

Some of the "withdrawal horror stories" initially dissuaded me from getting this prescribed, but I think there's a lot of over exaggeration going on. Most of the w/d reports I read are from people who have either a) never been through a REAL withdrawal in their life (im looking at you benzos and opis) OR b) people who are prescribed this but are also on a cocktail of downers, opiates, pain meds, benzos, alcohol, other meds etc and at that point, how would you even know what's causing what? I'm not saying this doesn't have a w/d component, but I cant for the life of me imagine it being as miserable as benzos.

I thought the method of action of gabapentin was unknown?

It could very well effect some subtype of gaba that is not typical of benzos.
While the majority of GABAA receptors (those containing α1-, α2-, α3-, or α5-subunits) are benzodiazepine sensitive there exists a minority of GABAA receptors (α4- or α6-subunit containing) which are insensitive to classical 1,4-benzodiazepines,[8] but instead are sensitive to other classes of GABAergic drugs such as neurosteroids and ethanol.

So it very well could be an agonist of GABA, but your friend still wouldn't be quite right as it's exact pharmacodynamics are unknown.

Gabapentin gives me a profound sense of calm. It's not like a high dose of benzos, where anxiety is literally impossible. But, it makes me more comfortable in my own skin and with the way things are.

Neurotin is different than anything I've know of. It makes me hyperactive and completely carefree. It's the best of uppers and downers all rolled into one huge dose of over 2 1/2 grams. I only get prescribed the 100mg pills nowadays so I can't use it that much, but maybe that's not such a bad thing since it seems tolerance builds so fast for everyone else. It works great for hangovers and for when tweeking starts to get a little to much. And from my experience withdrawals from it isn't that bad but I was only 2700mg a day when I was rehab so I don't know about people that are prescribed higher doses. It's nothing compared to alcohol or synthetic cannabinoid detox.

Last edited:
I've been taking gabapentin for about 2 or 3 months. It has been great for my fibromyalgia and anxiety. My psychiatrist put me on 1-2 300mg x3 a day. I have developed new nerve pain in my legs that is really bad and I'm hoping that maybe increasing my dose will help quell that as well. Its nice with the hydrocodone for my arthritis pain.

(I know that some people try and get high on this or lyrica. I did try lyrica as a teen and it basically reduced all my motor control to nothing. I was a sober mind inside a drunk body, running into walls. It lasted a full day and it was terrible. It seems like this is a common experience for people on lyrica and gabapentin.)

WOuld you say the gabapentin caused your nerve pain? I thought it was meant to treat it.

How long does neurontin usually stick around in the urine?
Borderline drug testing question, which isn't really allowed.... but I guess it's not really one since there is no good reason to ever be tested for gabapentin, it isn't scheduled, and the only place it's considered a drug of abuse is inside prison. Answer: Who the heck knows, since if you were being drug tested for it the duration would likely be similar to if you used the half life to calculate what a potential negligible quantity (or cutoff) would be. Since most drug tests (like for cannabis and heroin) don't test for the drugs themselves (except in impaired driving - and even 4-6 grams with no tolerance is less impairing than two or three glasses of wine IMO - or death investigations where the quantity in the blood is what is relevant), they test for the metabolites to confirm use, not how much you use. How long it stays will be based on how much you used, but my guess is that it is less than three days (with tiny tiny insignificant testable trace amounts present longer. I base this assumption on the fact that wikipedia states that it is not appreciably metabolized and excreted renally unchanged, so there are no highly lipophilic metabolites to stick around forever like cannabis.

This is ALL conjecture and to be taken with a very large grain of salt. And why the hell would this be of concern? I'm only answering it because there is NO reason you would be drug tested for gabapentin and I'm answering it as if a purely physiological curiosity. Mods, forgive me if you see it otherwise and edit my answer out. People get tested for drugs not on the NIDA-5 when they get caught with them as a condition of parole or the like... gabapentin is unscheduled and easy to obtain, legally, in powdered form.

Neurotin is different than anything I've know of. It makes me hyperactive and completely carefree. It's the best of uppers and downers all rolled into one huge dose of over 2 1/2 grams. I only get prescribed the 100mg pills nowadays so I can't use it that much, but maybe that's not such a bad thing since it seems tolerance builds so fast for everyone else. It works great for hangovers and for when tweeking starts to get a little to much. And from my experience withdrawals from it isn't that bad but I was only 2700mg a day when I was rehab so I don't know about people that are prescribed higher doses. It's nothing compared to alcohol or synthetic cannabinoid detox.
It's some unique stuff to be sure, and once tolerance develops unlike other stuff it takes like 10 months+ to diminish IMO, and I never took it daily, or enough to develop a dependence on it (though to be fair when I first got the stuff I was given huge 120 count bottles of 800mg for free, guess I just took high enough doses that the duration I took it for was so short I got lucky in a way instead of taking it slowly at half a pill twice a day until I was dependant, but then again I was using it recreationally, though I got scripted 300mg twice daily for 'anxiety' (I just liked the stuff and was too irresponsible with benzos I was prescribed, again for 'anxiety' ;) and no doctor will refuse a request to switch from 1mg clonazepam twice daily to that, unless there's a damn good medical reason, or they're just too big of assholes to prescribe it off-label, and it is probably the #1 drug prescribed for things other than what it is FDA approved to treat - neuropathic pain and seizures... at least I think it is for seizures).

Last edited:
WOuld you say the gabapentin caused your nerve pain? I thought it was meant to treat it.

One of it's two indications is for treating neuropathy, and while a paradoxical pain increase can indeed occur with opioids (unlikely in this case as they mentioned it working with the hydrocodone).

Fibromyalgia is just a very poorly understood condition which the underlying cause not elucidated, and the neuropathy idiopathic (fancy word for doctors don't really know) it's possible their pain increased despite opioid and gabapentin treatment.

This is why I find paradoxical pain unlikely:

"Summary Statistics
Reports of GABAPENTIN causing PARADOXICAL PAIN: 2
Reports of any side effect of GABAPENTIN : 32214
Percentage of GABAPENTIN patients where PARADOXICAL PAIN is a reported side effect: 0.0062%"

Now... if it increases when the hydrocodone is administered it could be a possibly, but it is more likely the actual pathology of the illness and not a side effect. Wikipedia lists "antipsychotics and certain anticonvulsants.[citation needed]" as causing RLS, and but it's wikipedia, has no medical citation, and if you don't have an irresistible urge to move them to calm the pain it's unlikely.

I wonder if the individual ever tried Nabilone for treatment? Just a quick glance mentions that as an effective treatment for some people suffering from fibromyalgia - it's a cannabinoid agonist (wikipedia says it mimics thc which I take to assume means it is a partial agonist, unlike some of the synthetic cannabinoids going around as recreational research chemicals).

IANAD, just my .02

Guidance on first recreational dose? I'm reading 1,000mg to 1,500mg

I'm 'pretty' tolerant to Benzos and have recreationaly taken Pregablin in the past at doses of ~800mg per trip which was probably on the heavy side. 400mg would be more pleasurable/functional.

I plan to take it within the next few hours so any quick help would be great :)

Hi! I've been on Gabapentin for about a year and a half. Was scripted it in rehab following an opiate addiction. I'm currently on the max dosage (3600 mg a day), and also scripted Lyrica 100 mg 4x a day. These were through different doctors---I guess you could say I've been abusing it, because I often take more than the recommended dosage. Not drastically so (I don't get high or anything), but enough so that I'm convinced I've been made less anxious. Now I'm wanting to get off of both, or at least get down to a reasonable dosage and stop abusing them. Does anyone know of a good taper plan? My doctor and I discussed it somewhat, she said go down 600 mg of the Gabapentin a week until I'm at 1300 a day, with no change to the Lyrica. Does this seem reasonable? I'd have more faith in her plan, but she's pretty unfamiliar with Gabapentin & such. I'm scripted both off-label for anxiety.

Thanks!

Gabapentin & pregabalin mechanism of action

Its not a receptor that Pregabalin and Gabapentin bind to, its blocks the ionotropic glutamate receptor (NMDA) calcium channel which is what the NMDA receptor opens. Its pretty much exactly what Magnesium does naturally or what PCP does only pcp does it much stronger. When getting off these 2 drugs I recommend taking a good magnesium supplement lile magnesium citrate or magnesium sulfate or magnesium taurtrate, NOT Magnesium Oxide as it has like a 7% bioavailibility. Also probably avoid calcium for a lil bit.

I don't recall the specific receptor that gabapentin binds to, but I am fairly sure I recall that it is not the same as benzodiazapines. So taking the two together should not produce any competition for binding.

The two are somewhat related (mainly that benzo's and gabapentin seem to substitute partially for each other in withdrawal) though, and share a lot of the same effects... so its possible that using one may reduce the effect of the other due to tolerance, but that is just something I am deducing and may be incorrect on.

This is a very good drug if you know how to take it. First off if you don't have at least 2400mg that would be 8 300mg caps. you are wasting your time. If you do pop like 6 or 7 300mg cap with pop on an empty stomach. It takes like 1 to 2 hours to peak and last for at least 6 hours. It is a very social drug, very talkative, very happy, energized without the speedy feeling. I got to know this drug from prison, in prison there was no opiates unless you were on your death bed, so Neurontin's were the thing. They went for 50 cent for a 400 cap sometimes a 300 cap. I would take like I said 7 or 8 and be straight all day in my cell. One downfall though is you can't get high on it day after day you will build a tolerance very fast. Best thing to do is dose every other day and you will be straight. Snorting it has no better effect either. Just take normal wait a few hours and you will be straight all day for sure. Lyrica is it's big brother so if you get Lyrica it will give you the same high less pills to take, but like Neurontin you can't get high off them day after day you have to skip a day or two. If you try to take huge amounts you are wasting it, you have to space it out.

There seems to be a divide among the opinion on whether to take the gabapentin on a full or empty stomach. The more reliable research I've come across says that a high fatty meal increases BA. I've been chewing my gabapentin, it tastes bad but now I barely notice any taste. It's been a little over a week since I got my Rx. I assume my tolerance will be too high to get any pleasure from it soon. Right now it takes about 3000-4000mg to get a nice buzz. I stagger my doses around 300mg every 30 min, and take naproxen about an hour or so before my first dose. Anyone have any advice on how to continue getting the most out of this drug? I plan on taking a break for a week or so to lower my tolerance, although I'm not sure if that will be long enough.

Does chewing the pills affect the BA, would that be the same as parachuting? The taste doesn't bother me.

I'm on a huge dose of gabapentin right now mixed with a dangerously high dose of tramadol. Not exactly harm reduction but the synergy is incredible. I feel like I am tripping and nodding at the same time. :)

OH my God I've mixed Tramadol and gabapentin and it was like I did a brick of dope.