• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

Only Forward ~ Michael Marshall Smith...

I love that book - the next two are worth it too (but not as good) (the pinched the idea from 'spares' and made it into 'The Island' with ewan macgregor (but changed it enough to not pay him anything) - i wish they'd make a film of only forward though (and actually give him credit for it)

I'm reading 'Dancing Wu Li Masters' which had passed me by previously - probably the original hippy/physics book, but the physics is proper and explained well, even though it's old (i'm more familiar with the physics and was more looking for chinese/eastern mysticism but there isn't that much so far).

Can't remember if i mentioned it here, but Adam Roberts' 'Bete' was really good (anything by adam roberts is good) - about when animals get ai chips put in them by animal rights people to make them sentient (and about loads besides this) Like all his books a joy to read (except maybe 'Swiftly') - i'd recommend any roberts if you like sci fi or just interesting literature - but in particular: 'Stone', 'The Snow' 'By light Alone' 'Jack Glass' and 'Adam Robots'

Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice. Hard to put down. Louis tells a reporter of his life as a vampire. Amazing description and imagery.

Only Forward ~ Michael Marshall Smith

smith_only_forward.jpg

Not far into it but really enjoying it.. Tis strange for sure, quite clear it's going to get even stranger.. Nice bit of humour running through it also...

I'll return and edit this post when I finish it...

How odd. I've just finished that too and loved it. :)

<3 Flo.

Rereading Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London as it's nice and easy and good to read in the pub when you're waiting for someone. Not sure if I'm supposed to find it as funny as I do but it's more or less the only laugh-out-loud Orwell book I can think of.

I'm reading Brave new World at the mo. then I'm going to move onto the Illuminatus! trilogy. Not been able to read for a while...ya know when yer spirit's not up to it? Life is just quite wow! when you're better after being sick. Definitely a lot to look forward to in life yet nothing in particular to look forward to. It's the simple things that please.

It's very sad how little kids get to learn at school. Sad so many folk are turned off learning by the school experience.

I'm excited by the fact I have learning a plenty to do, in between the dish washing and ironing.

"The Second World War" - Antony Beevor.

Probably the best definitive guide on WW2 I've ever read.

I've read most of Beevor's other books but they concentrate on a single period of WW2 like the battle for Berlin, Stalingrad or D-day...this encompasses the whole of the battle for Europe (Eastern and Western fronts) and the Pacific war in one 1000 page book. Any other author who tried that would probably make a hash of it but Beevor.is such a talented and knowledgeable bloke I think he's pulled it off.

Not sure if a felix or Don have read this one but I'd highly recommended it :)

Sounds interesting, SHM. Can you give us a review once you've finished? I fancy a read of that.

Evey

Yeah I've just finished Marching Powder. Recommended. English guy gets five years in La Paz, Bolivia. Prison is so corrupt you have to buy your own cell, buy everything, like no other place you've come across. He comes up with the idea of selling prison tours to make money to survive. You can (could) even stay the night in a cell. Cocaine is PRODUCED (not merely sold) in the prison and is said to be the finest coke in Bolivia. Full of quite unbelievable (by western judicial standards) stories that are all true (like how he gets onside with the prison governor and ends up doing coke with him in his own cell). Apparently being made into a film.

The guy who wrote the book for the prisoner ended up spending quite a bit of time inside with him and acting, really acting as in pretending, to be his human rights lawyer in court when, towards the end of his sentence, he's fitted up for another crime.

Best prison book out there.

Only Forward ~ Michael Marshall Smith

adult image

Not far into it but really enjoying it.. Tis strange for sure, quite clear it's going to get even stranger.. Nice bit of humour running through it also...

I'll return and edit this post when I finish it...
absolutely excellent book.

spares is great too - surely the inspiration for the island?

i've also read his short-story collection:

WhatYouMakeItMMS.jpg

also, excellent.

alasdair

I'm reading Brave new World at the mo. then I'm going to move onto the Illuminatus! trilogy. Not been able to read for a while...ya know when yer spirit's not up to it? Life is just quite wow! when you're better after being sick. Definitely a lot to look forward to in life yet nothing in particular to look forward to. It's the simple things that please.

It's very sad how little kids get to learn at school. Sad so many folk are turned off learning by the school experience.

I'm excited by the fact I have learning a plenty to do, in between the dish washing and ironing.

'Life is just wow when you're better after being sick. Definitely a lot to look forward to yet nothing in particular to look forward to'

Isn't it just!? That's such an insightful post Pink. Its such a gift to just be content with what is.

Love it, its really encouraging.

I know what its like not to be able to focus on a book. I tend to read several kinda text books (religion mostly) at once.

I read Brave New World in my teens I think I've got it on one of my bookshelves somewhere along with Doors of Perception. ( Standard hippy literature :D). Might give them a re-read.

Lately I've been spending a lot of my spare time reading tech spec and protocol manuals,the only enjoyable part has been obtaining these 'oh so secret; documents, I didnt have the time to wait for the originators to provide them but stumbled across a forum elsewhere in Europe that id getting away with sharing such stuff.

Hmmm that was a little mysterious wasnt it :sus:

The stuff I work on is all a bit :sus: so I'd rather not, expect a PM for a fascinating read ;)

I did get through Aismov's Fantastic Voyage (on audio) the other week, the film has vivid memories for me as a child for an odd reason. It was on the TV one Christmas, at the time we lived on a busy road and my father had happened to be lucky enough to have been lent a brand new Vuaxhall Victor from work which was parked on the road outside the house.

As is UK tradition one of the local charities had a Christmas Float (Lorry made to look like Santas sleigh, Santa waving and people knocking on doors collecting for charity) someone driving down the road in a Morris minor pais a little too much attention to the float and drive straight into the back of my father's borrowed and previously pristine car !

I couldnt have been more than 6 or 7 but it's a very vivid memory and some weird association with the film, Asimov's re-write was nothing special IMHO.