• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

front_cover_full.jpg

Yeah I've just finished Marching Powder. Recommended. English guy gets five years in La Paz, Bolivia. Prison is so corrupt you have to buy your own cell, buy everything, like no other place you've come across. He comes up with the idea of selling prison tours to make money to survive. You can (could) even stay the night in a cell. Cocaine is PRODUCED (not merely sold) in the prison and is said to be the finest coke in Bolivia. Full of quite unbelievable (by western judicial standards) stories that are all true (like how he gets onside with the prison governor and ends up doing coke with him in his own cell). Apparently being made into a film.

The guy who wrote the book for the prisoner ended up spending quite a bit of time inside with him and acting, really acting as in pretending, to be his human rights lawyer in court when, towards the end of his sentence, he's fitted up for another crime.

Best prison book out there.

Sounds wicked, gonna check that out

SAM_0217.jpg

An Illustrated Guide to Modern Warships

I picked this up in Oxfam a few months ago and it's mainly bathroom reading. It was published in 1980 though, so the title isn't really appropriate anymore :\ Most of the vessels are still in commission but the specs will have changed quite dramatically since then. Still, nice if you have a hard-on for these sorts of things. Lots of pretty pictures, too %)

Albion Dreaming by Andy Roberts

This was really good - 'a popular history of lsd in britain'. I've read several books covering the history of lsd but this one focussed in on britain - covered lots of stuff i've read before (porton down tests, hollingshead, kemp etc), but quite a bit of new stuff - quite a lot of stuff that i knew as folklore from my hippy/travelling elders or just remember from the 80s; and just enjoyably written and well researched (I've read lots of andy roberts who often writes (sensible) ufo articles in fortean times). I felt it petered out towards the end and could have covered more about more modern acid use (and could have been much more detailed generally) - nonetheless, cracking book. (warning: if you're like me, you'll be wanting to drop 200ug once you start reading, or at least after the military research bit (luckily my 1plsd came in the post while i was reading :))

Last edited:
Albion Dreaming by Andy Roberts

This was really good - 'a popular history of lsd in britain'. I've read several books covering the history of lsd but this one focussed in on britain - covered lots of stuff i've read before (porton down tests, hollingshead, kemp etc), but quite a bit of new stuff - quite a lot of stuff that i knew as folklore from my hippy/travelling elders or just remember from the 80s; and just enjoyably written and well researched (I've read lots of andy roberts who often writes (sensible) ufo articles in fortean times). I felt it petered out towards the end and could have covered more about more modern acid use (and could have been much more detailed generally) - nonetheless, cracking book. (warning: if you're like me, you'll be wanting to drop 200ug once you start reading, or at least after the military research bit (luckily my 1plsd came in the post while i was reading :))

Never seen this one, looks great. Which other lsd books have you read?

About halfway through this one
4a17607748bc8b9b20fdc75a1ce5a37f.jpg

Leary certainly has a unique writing style, good stuff so far. I also have an advanced copy of Diary of a Hope Fiend =D

I just finished Interview With The Vampire written by Anne Rice. I loved it. It Is the first book in a series she wrote known as Vampire Chronicles. Has anyone else read any of these books? I plan on taking a trip to the library today and seeing if I cannot find the movie as well as The Vampire Lestat, the second book in the series.

Two thirds through Paul Bowles' Up Above the World. Good but for me it doesn't have the feel of his moroccan novels, probably not enough kif!
I'm waiting on delivery of The Honorable Schoolboy and after recently reading Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy I'm looking forward to it.
For fans of LSD history try The Brotherhood of Eternal Love which was rather good and also Acid by David Black which delves into the whole worldwide scene and where the CIA are/were involved. High Priest was also entertaining with Leary's take/experiments with other people during his 60's heyday.
Although a mention, if not already made should be for The Underground Empire by James Mills - one of the greatest books I've ever read, regardless of genre.

I'm about to abandon this one halfway through:

Ludlum_-_The_Chancellor_Manuscript_Coverart.png

Because it's a load of old-fashioned, convoluted, fucking nonsense. :D

Going to start this one instead, which looks very intriguing and comes highly recommended by Mrs Flo:

51i%2BdPRUzYL.jpg

(Cheers, flo <3)

Getting ready to start reading huck Finn by Mark Twain. They had every book at the library from the Vampire Chronicles besides The Vampire Lestat so I guess I will have to just put my name on a waiting list :(

A Confederacy Of Dunces - it's a right giggle. Shame about what happened to the author though. :(

U walked away from a book Felix- good move. Used to be I couldn't do that, it felt like giving up but now realize I'd much rather not waste my time reading carp for the sake of it.

I gave up on Catch 22 years ago but do think I might go back to that one. It's not like I thought it was bad but at the same time I couldn't enjoy it.

Same here. I spent most of my life feeling like I had to finish every page of every book I read, because otherwise "I haven’t' read it" 8). It took me a long time to click on that life's too short for that, when there's so much other stuff to read.

Time is ticking on, and I now have no qualms about abandoning something I'm not enjoying. 25% of our book collection are books I haven't read yet, and there's no time to waste on reading books to the end if I'm not getting anything out of it.

It seems that I've outgrown my love of Robert Ludlum novels. That's fine, there's plenty more fish in the sea. It was a £1 charity buy, and was so dry and yellowed, it fell to bits as I read it. It's now in the bin.

I don't think I mentioned that I've just completed:

77.David%20Mitchell-The%20Bone%20Clocks%20jacket.jpg

"The Bone Clocks", by David Mitchell.

... which is one of the most amazing books I've ever read. David Mitchell is a mad genius who must've taken a shitload of drugs, cos this one is a fucking mindbender that I'm still trying to process in my head. If you liked Cloud Atlas or Ghostwritten, you'll love this one.

I've been reading Isaac Asimov's Robot dreams, it interesting to see the starting of I Robot as well as where Philip K Dick must have been influenced for Do Adroids Dream of Electric sheep.

I say reading, I rarely do that TBH but get through a fair few audio books as I find reading a chore, audio opened up books to me, I;d have never discovered much of the science fiction from the likes of Dick, Asimov and Gibson without it.

After breaking my second kindle (heart broken...), I'm now forcing myself to go old skool.

After a go at an old Papillon book with yellow pages and small grey print. I gave up :(.

Between carpel tunnel and poor eye sight I've lifted Glasshouse by Charles Stross off the book shelf. (needed the stool the Man made for me :))

51D649HPZPL.jpg

Lets see how this goes...

audio opened up books to me, I'd have never discovered much of the science fiction from the likes of Dick, Asimov and Gibson without it.

I always find it quite intriguing when people say this. Where/when/how do you listen to them?

I just can't imagine myself doing it. I like turning pages too much. :)

I always find it quite intriguing when people say this. Where/when/how do you listen to them?

I just can't imagine myself doing it. I like turning pages too much. :)

I've always stuggled to read fiction, as a child I even had a few books on tape, me reading is fine and my vocabulary was alwasy said to be very advanced as a child but my hand writting and spelling are truly appalling, I may have even been more left handed by encoured to use my right so I right like a left hander with my right hand, thankfully my work has always involved using computers for written work ...oh for a VT220 !

I listen to them these days via my phone, at work and whilst travelling mainly never when doing nothing else. You do need to be choosy as the reader makes all the difference, read by the author are often the best.

Orson Scott Card ( Enders game series ) commented that he preferred the audio format as it gave him the chance to read the book to the 'reader / listener' which was how he imagined things when writing.

I do spend a great deal of time reading technical documents for work so it's not s comprehension thing, more likely an attention issue, the last physical book I read was a Stephen Hawkin one (can't recall which), non fiction works for me in that format.

Over the last few years I must have been through 100s (more than I could count anyway) I would never have accessed this stuff without audio books, I'd recommend them to anyone who finds actual reading difficult.

Before anyone gets all shirty about my piraty activity in terms of downloads https://archive.org/details/librivoxaudio is a great free and legal resource, you can even contribute of you so wish :)

I listen to them these days via my phone, at work and whilst travelling mainly never when doing nothing else. You do need to be choosy as the reader makes all the difference, read by the author are often the best.

Right. It's a whole world that I've never got into (yet). I get really fucking frustrated and impatient whenever people read things out to me, because their diction and cadence is always off-kilter with my own style of reading. If I somehow end up with a job where I have a long and tedious commute, I might look into audio books as a way to pass the time. It's like the Kindle for me; it's one of those things that seems a bit weird that I can't quite get into. Maybe some day. :)

Right. It's a whole world that I've never got into (yet). I get really fucking frustrated and impatient whenever people read things out to me, because their diction and cadence is always off-kilter with my own style of reading. If I somehow end up with a job where I have a long and tedious commute, I might look into audio books as a way to pass the time. It's like the Kindle for me; it's one of those things that seems a bit weird that I can't quite get into. Maybe some day. :)

Like I aid the reader is all important, I bin them in 10 mins if I don't like the reading style but in the main the commercial ones are well read. At ome stage the Steven Fry version of Harry Potter were the most shared files on the net. I listened to them and whilst I'm sure many will sneer at such books I found them very rich and engaging, much more so than the films IMO.

Sometimes it is the readers style that makes the book for me, this one is a great example....and so it goes

If you give them a go ensure you download an audio book player such as Mort, it will keep track of the multiple chapter files and remember where you were with each book, using a standard audio player will drive you insane as you lose track of where you were and have to scan through a 2hr MP3.

They sure beat reading communication protocol documents