• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

What are you currently reading? v2

Having a last look through my small and not the very expensive issues collection of OZ magazine before I sell them on to a mate. Oh what a time when you can send a letter to a magazine asking for advice on whether allowing a dog into a fully willing couple's sex life with the burning question, can worms be a problem? 8o And of course each copy of OZ had several fantastic reviews by the likes of Charles Shaar Murray on albums that still stand up today over 40 years later.
OZ-Magazines-No-27---Acid-Oz-533529.jpg

Survivor, by Chuck p. The guy who wrote fight club. The art of war by Machiavelli, the walking dead compendium 2 .

This thread is incredible for finding new reads. Recently completed Will Self's Dorian and Rusty Young's Marching Powder, with complete thanks to this thread on EADD!
Michael Marshall Smith - Only Forward looks to be next on my list.
I trust you are all acquainted with abebooks.co.uk - the mecca of cheap literature on the internet!

I've just finished "Heroes and Villains- the TRUE story of the beach boys. Easy and very gossipy to read, but nothing I hadn't read on the internet already. Very obsessed with financial details. Trying to decide if Brian was very arrogant or misguided...certainly very ill in the head and very abused by all those around him. Family bands ...dirty washing in public and these books only scratch the surface. But by God, I'd like to think that my family members would have helped me out sooner than he got helped out.

Now reading the heaven and hell bit of the doors of perception

pinkpapaver best of luck reading the doors of perception. I absorbed these books like blood n' stone kinathany..

NSFW:
After breaking my second kindle (heart broken...), I'm now forcing myself to go old skool.

After a go at an old Papillon book with yellow pages and small grey print. I gave up :(.

Between carpel tunnel and poor eye sight I've lifted Glasshouse by Charles Stross off the book shelf. (needed the stool the Man made for me :))

51D649HPZPL.jpg

Lets see how this goes...

I'm in love <3 with Glasshouse - I want to go back there now!

Snoop - Sam Gosling

It's a book about how to deduce who a person is based on the stuff they own and where they place it. Not to mention all the good stuff about deducing who a person is based on what they don't have or keep hidden. Fun. Fun. Fun. But seriously... Fun.

^ one of the few books i've ever not managed to finish. i had to give up about halfway after wading through miles of that syrupy prose...

alasdair

I am nearly finished it but took a few days break. I have been gathering up feels stories and getting myself down :D classic weekend times.

After t'other days fuck up, which will become a daily fuck up for the next 5 years I thought I'd add to my anger by starting this..

OHKrxrK.jpg

Also, Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith is a fantastic read. <3

^
They look interesting. *noted*

I'm ploughing my way through Ken MacLeod's Fractions and Division series - the wrong way round 8(

On the Sky Road Now, but still have the first half of the Fall Revolution to devour. Excellent Scottish science fiction, with real energy and grit %)

sky+road,+macleod.jpg

Loved all those Ken macleods (sci-fi with communism/anarchism - what's not to like?) - stone canal will always be my favourite though. His later books tailed off a little bit, but the latest ones i've read have been great: particularly Descent (quite a bit of politics and UFOs) - and Intrusion was really good too (i read anything he does though).

I'm 2/3 through Paul McAuley's latest Something coming Through - a return to form so far; first contact story with inscrutable trickster aliens, ancient artifacts that infect minds and cause cult outbreaks, and illicit drugs based on smuggled alien technology (his best territory).

Reading A Confederacy of Dunces at the moment. Think I bought it for uni the year I intercalated and finally decided to pick it up, it's easily one of the funniest books I've ever read and the main character reminds me so much of one my friends it just makes it even better. Genuine shame it was never published until after Toole killed himself, guy only ever published one other novel.

Intercalation, in the context of university administration, is a period when a student is officially suspended from studying for an academic degree.

When a university or similar institution allows a student to intercalate, it is usually for one of the following reasons:

on medical or compassionate grounds, so that the student can take a break from his or her studies and return later[1]
to allow the student to gain work experience in a field related to his or her field of study[2]
for medical, dental and veterinary students in the UK, to allow the student to pursue a separate but related research degree (normally for one year) and then return to the main medical, dental or veterinary degree

Huh. That's a new word to me.

reading this:

51%2BJiCotuVL.jpg

it's a beautifully written, wonderful story.

alasdair