• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official Super Bowl thread

Odds were against Steelers in Vegas a couple days ago..

Kul69 said:
Odds were against Steelers in Vegas a couple days ago..

what are you talking about? this is the only playoff game the Steelers have had the early line in their favor. I think it's going to +5. their reasoning during the playoffs was that any AFC team would stomp on any NFC team.

the Steelers have stomped on the NFC all season. no one in that league has beat them for a good while, and it's not gonna change Sunday ;)

i really hope the steelers win :)

where is everyone watching the game at?

my boyfriend is running around like a jealous child because his bandmate got tickets to the super bowl and won't give him one, nor will he let us use his giant HDTV. so it looks like we will be watching the game from my living room on my shitty tv :(

^nah, i don't care a grand amount about tickets or the tv. i am just cranky because i get no yeungling now :(

and the steelers won't lose because i say so!

BUMP.

let's see some more predictions people, this is weak. only two days away!

Porter responds in Porter-like fashion to Seattle's taunts

here is a SB article a friend just sent me, the Steelers most noted trash-talker and multiple time pro bowl linebacker Joey Porter responds to what he says is a "soft" Seattle Seahawks tight end for saying: "it will be a said day when Bettis leaves Detroit without the trophy."

DETROIT, United States (AFP) - Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter peeled back the facade of Super Bowl civility, calling out Seattle's Jerramy Stevens and vowing to confront him in Sunday's title game.

ADVERTISEMENT

One day after criticizing Stevens over comments that the Seahawks would win and deny Pittsburgh rusher Jerome Bettis a celebration in his hometown, Porter escalated the war of words ahead of the National Football League showdown.

"It's better to get it out so you don't have to pretend to like each other," Porter said. "They hate me over there. We don't have to play that game.

"You're not supposed to come into a game like this and pretend to like the other team anyway. We're here for the same trophy. Only one of us can have it. Now I know how they truly feel. If they're looking for a fight I'll be ready."

Porter warned that he will target the tight end should the Seahawks send him in his direction for passes or blocks.

"If they ever leave him on a pass block, he's a liability," Porter said. "He's soft. They better not let him block. I bet they won't make that coaching mistake. My battle with him is going to happen. I'm going to find him.

"If they use anything coming to my side with him in the play, it's not going to work. I assure you of that."

Stevens responded in a low-key manner to Porter's taunts, saying his words were being twisted.

"This is something he likes to do, find something to get him motivated. He found something to get him ready to play," Stevens said. "I'm not scared. Seattle is not scared. We're here to play.

"I don't believe I said something wrong. I'm willing to deal with it. It's not my concern. I don't worry about words at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's out of line. I didn't think I was out of line."

Stevens said taunts will not affect him in the Super Bowl.

"My attitude is to play the best game I can and not let it affect my performance. It won't. I won't allow it to," Stevens said. "I don't respond to that. I don't feel the need. I'll be out there Sunday. I hope he will be too."

Bettis, two weeks shy of his 34th birthday and considering retirement, supported Porter but also said Stevens was not wrong to say, "it will be a sad day when (Bettis) leaves without that trophy."

"They are entitled to what they believe," Bettis said. "Joey spoke out for what he believes in when he was challenged. He's not afraid to accept that burden.

"Their job is to make sure there is not a big block party after the game. Our job is to make sure everybody gets a ticket."

Bettis told fans at a pep rally last week the Steelers would win a fifth title. Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El admitted many of his teammates would guarantee a victory themselves if they felt open to speak their mind.

"We don't care of they have bulletin board material or not," he said. "I'm sure a lot of guys on our team want to (guarantee a victory), maybe 20 or more. You will hear, 'We'll be fine. We'll play hard.'"

Shattering the sham of mutual praise with blunt force to reveal underlying hatred, Porter exploded the myth after days of holding back to avoid giving the Seahawks "bulletin board" comments that might inspire them.

"Their true feelings about us are not what they are telling the media. You are told to give praise to the other team, don't give them any 'bulletin board material'. That's the standard, make them out to be great," Porter said.

"We don't have to hold punches back and be nice. It's obvious how they feel about us and we feel about them. A comment isn't going to get you over the hump. If you need a comment to get you ready, you won't be ready."

Porter warned that the Steelers will try to send the Seahawks to the sidelines, stopping short of intent to injure by saying they wanted to hit hard enough to break their wills instead.

"We're going to try to send as many people as we can to the sidelines. If we can 'tap out' somebody that's what we're going to do," Porter said.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said his team respected the Seahawks and backed Porter.

"I was just proud he lasted this long," Cowher said. "He is the emotional leader of this team. We respect Seattle. We're playing a good opponent, a confident opponent. We will put in the work."

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren brushed off the controversy as Porter seeked inspiration.

"I don't really make too much of it," Holmgren said. "Some people use different things to motivate. I suppose going through Super Bowl week without having something come up like that would be unusual.

"You won't have Jerramy say anything more the rest of the week."

^ sounds like as good a plan as any, except I am gonna do the whole beer and chicken wings angle =D

I HATE the Bus' fat ass and his 40 yards a game with 3tds. I hate seeing his fat-ass momma in the stands EVERY FUCKING GAME.

But I'll take the Steel, -4.5 any day of the week. The Sea Pigeons and the NFC just can't hack it with the big boys.

Yea..... my mom wanted tacos so I decided it was cool.

Whose titties we gonna see this years?

^ if the Steelers win - I vote Wild1, of course draped in her old school Stewart jersey ;)

I've looked around on CBS and ESPN and I can't seem to find the kick off time :( . 8 seems to be about the time I remember, but I want to be sure. Can someone please enlighten me? Detroit is in the central timezone right?

for the Eastern Time Zone it's 6 PM. I believe Detroit is still Eastern, but actually I could be very wrong.