• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official Super Bowl thread

This was the worst game I have seen all season... I would have rather watched the 49ers and the Texans go at it. It would have been far more interesting.

banquo - is the hostility necessary? besides, I wasn't rooting for either team. I watched objectively, for the most part, until I was irritated by bad calls.

Bad calls can ruin the morale of a team, can they not? Obvoiusly I'm not the only one who thinks so. But, apparently you're taking it seriously, and personally. Sorry if I have a different perspective than you.

both the offensive pass interference call and the QB sneak TD call were correct in my opinion. if you watch the replay the interference is clear, the seahawks receiver uses one arm fully extended with his elbow in a locked position to push off the defender.... this is the classic definition of off. pass int.

as for the touchdown, if you watch the goal line replay you should see the ball pierces the outer edge of the white line while roethlisberger is in mid air prior to being hit. as he gets hit he is pushed back and lands just shy of the TD. he readjusts the ball at that point, but it doesn't matter because his forward progress is marked a touch down.

those were close, controversial calls that were actually made correctly. i saw a holding call go against the seahawks that i felt was a little questionable, but i also saw a play ruled an incompletion for the seahawks that was a potential fumble, so it cuts both ways.

the seahawks got outplayed despite a valiant effort (and jackson deserves major props for lighting up the field early in the game). better luck next year, and this from a giants fan still very bitter about our loss to the hawks in the regular season

Anyone complaining about the refs has to be kidding. With the inception of instant reply, the refs simply DON'T mess up too many calls. They could see that Rothlesberger TD zoomed in so far that they couldn't possibly be mistaken.

I know of course that some calls cannot be challenged, like that D-Jack offensive pass interference, but that also was the correct call. The receiver would not have been able to make the catch had he not pushed off. Plus, he was right in front of the ref. That's an easy call to make.

^^Read the article RC posted.

Apparently several former pros with years of experience (including two HOFers if you count Steve Young as a virtual certainty), thought the officiating stunk also.

I guess all their years of experience still don't add up to officiating complaints being viewed as MAYBE credible.

I agree with this point too:

"So, Paul Tagliabue, how does a team lose when it outgains an opponent by 57 yards, controls time of possession and wins the turnover battle?"

Seattle dominated the first half in the game I watched. Dunno what game you guys were watching.

Like I said, I didn't have a dog in the fight either way, but I thought the crappy officiating altered the complexion of the game heavily in Pitt's favor.

if you're a steelers fan and don't think your team got every possible call in their favor, from the ridiculous holding call, the offensive pass interference, the touchdown that big ben may or may not have scored ... i mean come on, one of those goes the hawks' way and it's an entirely different game.

Ya know Steelers fans, let me first congratulate you on joining the 5-time superbowl champions club with my beloved 49ers and hated Cowboys...not that we really saw a championship-caliber team win the Superbowl last night or anything, but hey...the Lombardi Trophy sits in Mr. Rooney's hands and that's all that matters in the end I suppose. They made big plays when they needed them, and for that they deserve credit in their superbowl win.

Of course, it is a little sad if you can't admit the trophy came with a BIG FAT black and white bow on top of it. I can think of 7 separate instances where the refs called awfully ticky-tack fouls and/or made really bad favorable calls all leading to good fortune fo the Steelers. Let's see...

1. The holding penalty in the 1st quarter (ticky-tack hold) that broke down an early Seattle drive inside the 20.

2. The offensive pass interference penalty. A great call Axl? You've got to be kidding. Hope had his hands all over Jackson...yet he's the one who was fouled? Please.

3. The Big Ben TD run. EASILY a touchdown? Good lord...there was nothing easy about that call. Perhaps it may have broken the plane, but it was clearly not visible in the replay that it did. Considering the ref made his TD call when Ben stretched out the ball AFTER he was down tells you something about what he initially thought.

4. The holding penalty in the 4th quarter. This was worse than the first holding call. He didn't even hook the guy.

5. The unbelievably terrible low block penalty against Hasselbeck. WTF?!

6. The ridiculous fumble call against Hasselbeck that was correctly overturned with replay. How they missed this call I have no idea. His fucking jersey was pulled and the linesman from the far side couldn't see that? The guy who made the fumble call had a horrible angle btw.

7. Giving the Steelers the T.O. on a 3rd down when the play clock was already at zero. That is inexcusable and just added to the embarrassment of what was supposedly the best officiating crew in the NFL.

I don't count the Jackson incomplete pass just outside the end zone as a bad call. While his second leg did hit the pylon, I'm sure the NFL can state it was incomplete because his foot did not land inside inbounds...though there probably should've been a replay called and an explanation since it was clear his second leg did graze the pylon.

Before Steeler fan chimes in with this gem, the alleged Stevens fumble really wouldn't have altered the game as much as the above momentum squashers did. Pitt got the ball back anyway since it was 3rd down and probably ended up with roughly equal field position even if they had recovered it.

And maybe it's just me, but there is something wrong about a team winning the Superbowl with a QB rating of less than 23 when the other team outgained them in yards, controlled time of possession, won the turnover battle, and even scored the first points of the game (3 out of 4 teams on average who score first in an NFL game win the contest). It turns out the wrong part were the zebras.

After this postseason, it's about time a campaign for some technological advancement into officiating take place!

what can really be done though. a replay cant really overturn a bs interference call or a block below the waist on a defensive player (that was my personal favorite) as for the ball not breaking the plane, i can see why that wasnt overturned. the rulling on the field can only be overturned in the presence of irrefutable evidence the other way. if that play was ruled no touch down on the field it would've been turned into a touchdown (partially because replay doesnt allow for that but you get the idea) conspiracy theories are weak but that was some bullshit officiating. the better team definitely lost that game but dems the breaks.

the opinion of past football superstars means nothing against the opinion of the rule book. yes, the officiaiting was horrible. must I remind everyone about the officiating against the Steelers in the post-season? hell I came on here suggesting up front there must be some rigging going on (most likely connected to Vegas and bookies). I'm sure my fellow Steelers fans agree with me that I'm just content that finally one post-season game went our way concerning the officiating.

now, if you want to contend the three most controversial plays, this is all I gotta say, also from an article:

http://www.stillers.com/articles/1688.aspx said:
That wasn’t offensive interference on Jackson in the EZ against Hope. He barely touched him. First, anyone who says something like this isn’t taking into consideration that Jackson’s arm is one of a set that probably routinely bench presses 175 pounds 25 times without stopping. Being barely touched with this arm extended, is like being “barely touched” by a Taser. Either will freeze you in your tracks. Also, the official was about 18 inches away. Now I see where some of the pundits are cawing that the official waited until Hope complained before he threw the flag. Wrong. He reached for the flag immediately; he just double-clutched. Clearly in violation of the rules. Clearly. No, it’s not always called, but if everything was always called, there’d be multiple penalties on every play of every game.

Ben wasn’t in on the TD. Before we get to the particulars of this admittedly close call let me direct your attention to some comments by your national sports media. Al Michaels, calling the game for ABC, chosen out of all other humans in the world, said that Ben didn’t land over the goal line, therefore blah blah blah. WHAT??!!?? There’s more. I heard more than one pundit today yammering that the ball didn’t go “over” the goal line. HUUUHHH??? Go to your local Pop Warner squad and the majority of them will be able to quote the rule to you. The goal line extends upward to infinity and if any part of the ball breaks any part of the goal line it’s a TD. And that’s what Ben’s dive looked like to me. The tip of the ball, while in the air, grazed the outer most reach of the GL. Touchdown. The play was called a TD on the field. Clear evidence is needed to reverse the call. Next.

The holding call on Seattle’s Locklear with 12:35 to go in the game, Steelers leading 14-10, after Hasselbeck had hit Stevens at the Steelers one-yard line. “I didn’t see any holding,” is the mantra initiated by Madden and parroted by pundits from Kansas City to Oakland, Green Bay to Miami. Well, I did. I’ll grant you that it’s not the kind of holding I always see CALLED holding, but it’s my understanding that it’s illegal for an offensive lineman to employ the WWE arm bar across a rusher’s neck. Granted, I’ve seen 25, at least, worse holds against the Steelers not called this year, but I’m not going to complain that this clear hold was called what it was. Another thing the “experts” aren’t jabbering about regarding this play: During a game, players talk to officials, officials talk to players. Haggans may have been complaining all game that he was being held. The ref could have warned Locklear about the maneuver earlier in the game, maybe even more than once. Again, holding can be called on virtually any pass play in every game. There was subjectivity involved in this call, but Locklear was CLEARLY in violation of the rules. Good teams play through these iffy calls, as the Steelers did through the entire playoffs.

The blocking call on Hasselbeck. He TRIED to roll a blocker, but missed him and got the ball-carrier by accident. First, it’s not a good rule—the Steelers were burned by it earlier in the year—but the call was correct, if you consider intent rather than execution. Even if it wasn’t, it wasn’t that pivotal.

the NFC won't match-up well against the AFC for many more years to come, and that is a fact. the Seahawks should have lost against the Redskins in the second round (but they have a laughable offense, I'd be amazed if the NFC could ever launch a team that knew how to play both defense and offense). Seattle was the leading scorer in the whole NFL and they were shut down to 10 points. like I pointed out earlier, weakness of schedule will most certainly bite your ass in the playoffs (much less the SB). the Steelers offense struggled at first, but Seattle was so soft if you just kept on pounding the run you could easily break big plays - Willie Parker's SB record setting 75 yard run comes directly to mind. you cannot win a football game being soft on defense, the only players who stood out were Tatapu (I must admit I love that guy and his style) and that one funny looking defensive end. Hasselback was probably the best player on the field that night, but Seattle had NO clock management skills. it seems the NFC always comes up short against the AFC, in the SuperBowl, against clock management. once Alexander was tackled it would take him 6 seconds to get to the line for Hasselback to attempt to call an audible, but the line can't hear it.

the better team won that night, no question. you can't play soft on defense and expect a SB title cuz they're almost always defensive struggles.

source: http://www.stillers.com/articles/1688.aspx

Last edited:
Great teams can overcome questionable officiating. Good teams cry about it the next day when they go home as losers. I thought that was really unprofessional of Holmgren saying that he didn't think they would have to "play against the guys in the black and white stripes in addition to the Steelers." Get a life you fat bastard. You wouldn't even be considered a good coach if it weren't for a guy named Favre.

I'm no Steelers fan by any means, I just hate people that whine about referees. I think it is the most juvenile thing in sports.

SonOF said:
I thought that was really unprofessional of Holmgren saying that he didn't think they would have to "play against the guys in the black and white stripes in addition to the Steelers." Get a life you fat bastard. You wouldn't even be considered a good coach if it weren't for a guy named Favre.

I'm no Steelers fan by any means, I just hate people that whine about referees. I think it is the most juvenile thing in sports.

couldnt agree more even though i feel that seattle took it in the ass.

holmgren's piss poor clock management and poor decisions on 4th down created a far bigger hurdle than those botched calls (of which there were many)

the only thing that makes me disrespect Holmgren as a man and as a coach is the fact that he did not shake Steeler's coach Bill Cowher's hand after the game. what kinda coach would do this after the SB? he is representing Seattle with pure classlessness.

there were some tough calls, but by the books, they are still legal calls to make. nothing more really to add. complaining only makes you look like whiney losers. that rarely ever earns respect. Champion teams overcome any obstacles that can be put in front of them. Pittsburgh proved they were capable of this when they defeated the colts in an obviously weighted game in the colts favor.

sbxl_postgame8_L_62434.jpg

I live in the D, so I was wondering if the outside world knew of the two seperate murders in Downtown Detroit just outside the winter blast...On friday(sat morning) at 1:30 two people were shot after a confrontation while leaving the Winter Blast... Late saturday(sun morning) a homeless man was found stabbed to death just a block away from the winter blast... No suspects for either murders----70 percent of all homicides in Detroit go unsolved...

It was obvious they were keeping Detroits shootings and murders(daily) out of the news leading up to the weekend, but neither of these were even reported on the tube until Sunday night after the SuperBowl... We walked to the festivities every day with our dogs having no-idea what went down...

HERE'S THE KICKER---The two people shot were leaving the winter blast when there was an accidental bumping---words were exchanged---then one of the three culprits pulled a gun and shot the female in the back twice and the male in the leg...Needless to say, the female didn't pull through... What is so terrible is this happend RIGHT AT THE FUCKING EXIT with cops around everywhere... They have been looking at tapes from cameras that were installed on poles and buildings in the area to help discourage thugs from behavior such as this, but have come out empty...

I'm finally done with this city... So many people out here just wanting to fuck up a good time...

I must say DETROIT and the NFL did a good job of covering this up...They let everyone filter in downtown not knowing 2 people were killed two nights in a row right under the so called "tightened security"...Oh yeah, these were not the only murders in the D over superbowl weekend, just the ones that happened around the superbowl festivities...

"WELCOME TO DETROIT---Where the weak are killed and eaten"

the NFL just launched an official statement which accurately backs up those so-called "controversial" calls. it's amazing how little the common football fan knows about the rules, and how quick they are to jump their guns. I just watched some replays and that Locklear holding call was one of the most blatant displays of holding I've ever seen. his two hands are way out of the defensive lineman's "box."

the only call they quietely ignored was the Hasselback block-below-the-waist call. in retrospect, this was a bad call.

i'm no fan of either team, but since my husband's asshole boss is from pitt, of course that's who i was rooting against. personally i would've loved to have seen peyton manning in the SB, but maybe next year. :)

yes, the officiating sucked. however, there were a few things that seattle could've done in their favor to get points on the board. forgive me for not knowing specific instances or names, but the seattle kicker blew a couple field goals that would've guaranteed at least 6 extra points, right? ok, "blew" the kicks is a little harsh....they were off by a foot or so both times, but he still missed both of them. then of course, there was the final minutes of the game and madden was hysterical about seattle wasting time trying to push for a TD, when they just needed to set up for a FG and have enough time to onside kick and try to recover for a TD at the very end. had that happened, coupled with a 2pt conversion, that would've tied it and gone into OT.

so in conclusion....yes, the officiating was less than stellar, but seattle could've at the very least added 9 points to their score with 2 missed FGs and blowing getting in FG-range in the last minutes of the game. in my opinion, the game was pretty evenly-matched, but the "better" ("better" as in better with time management and completing necessary scoring attempts) team won. i don't think pittsburgh necessarily outdid seattle on anything...just that seattle didn't come up big when they needed to. :\

AxL BLaZe said:
the NFL just launched an official statement which accurately backs up those so-called "controversial" calls.

what was the statement? "the ruling on the field stands?"