• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The official Super Bowl thread

johnmortons said:
sport is such a waste of time

So was posting that obnoxious observation.

My prediction is the Steelers will win by more than a touchdown. However, the O/U is at 47.5 (I believe) and I'm pretty sure its going to be on the under. I am looking forward to a very physical defensively aggressive game from both teams with a lot of excellent running. To me, that is football Heaven.

ATTN Steelers:

I have watched you ever since I was a little kid. I live week-to-week during the season just to watch you guys. I remember in 96 when you went to the SuperBowl but lost to Dallas. this year we have an even better team than that. Jerome Bettis, I have watched your whole carreer and I can't imagine the black and gold without you, but you have done your time (and you deserve your ring). Joey Porter and Troy Polamalu, even though you talk more shit than Al Sharpton, you are one of the most explosive defensemen in the league. Big Ben, you have been amazing in just your sophomore season. today has the opportunity to be one of the best days of my life, and today you all have the opportunity to inscribe your names on the Vince Lombardi trophy for ever. you haven't accomplished anything yet - so go out their and kick some ass.

thanks in advance.

JerryBlunted said:
So was posting that obnoxious observation.

My prediction is the Steelers will win by more than a touchdown. However, the O/U is at 47.5 (I believe) and I'm pretty sure its going to be on the under. I am looking forward to a very physical defensively aggressive game from both teams with a lot of excellent running. To me, that is football Heaven.

I like the under too.

>>sport is such a waste of time>>

not for those who it amuses.
the thing is, I just dont GET it.

ebola

Steelers 24 - Seahawks - 20

Push; and Vegas gets rich. ;)

final prediction before bar departure (I know it's a couple hours early but I want to get the best seats, too many Steelers fans in Ohio):

Steelers - 31

Sea Pigeons - 20

take that, spread.

Not only was the game a Super Bore, but the Seahawks got JOBBED on the officiating.

Offensive interference in the endzone? Puhleeez. They don't call kind of contact in womens' powderpuff football.

And then there was Roethlisberger's phantom TD.

And the Hawks' phantom touching of the endzone pylon. I guess the endzone itself extends out at least 6 inches from the line but the outer portion of the pylon doesn't count.

And the phantom holding calls.

That game was a farce. It's obvious who the NFL wanted to win the game.

Seattle wasn't even in Pitt's league, as expected.

Congrats Steelers fans. :)

glowbug said:
And then there was Roethlisberger's phantom TD.

Please. Anyone with brain and eyes saw that the ball Ben was carrying EASILY crossed the line going into the endzone.

glowbug said:
That game was a farce. It's obvious who the NFL wanted to win the game.

Why would the NFL want Pittsburg to win? They have no superstars and don't offer much in the way of interesting stories regarding thier players (Bettis is retiring - no one cares; Ben is a great 2nd year QB - no one cares)..

The NFL wanted Indy to win it all so much that it was disgusting. After Indy lost, they realized they had two unmarketable teams anyway, and just hoped for a close game.

glowbug said:
Offensive interference in the endzone? Puhleeez. They don't call kind of contact in womens' powderpuff football.

there seem to be many misconceptions about this call. many are quick to dismiss this as a horrible call - but it was actually a great call. it is obviously pass interference because a wide out cannot extend by pushing himself off the defender for the whole length of his arm. he can extend halfway, to the point of his forearm, but not any longer. the Seattle wide out obviously more than exceeds the halfway mark. you cannot push off of a defender on offense. in the NFL, you will get called for that all day long.

people forget that there were some bad calls against the Steelers as well. I still feel like the best team won tonight. Seattle is the ppg. leading scorer of the entire NFL and they were sucessfully stimied to 10 points.

SonOF said:
Please. Anyone with brain and eyes saw that the ball Ben was carrying EASILY crossed the line going into the endzone.

this was also the correct call. the goal line extends up and out to infinity. the ball in Big Ben's hand crossed the plane initiallity, he was pushed back, and then he re-adjusted himself to make it look like he was in the whole time.

the ball crossed the plane.

AxL BLaZe said:
this was also the correct call. the goal line extends up and out to infinity. the ball in Big Ben's hand crossed the plane initiallity, he was pushed back, and then he re-adjusted himself to make it look like he was in the whole time.

the ball crossed the plane.
I agree with you, the goal line did extend OUT to infinity on that one. ;)

I guess you guys saw different replays than I did because I didn't see any indication the ball broke the plane of the goal.

And Seattle sure didn't get the same benefit of the doubt on the pylon blown call.

As far as the interference call, I never said that it wasn't the correct call technically...I just can't remember seeing a call made like that on such ticky-tack contact though. The safety was obviously already on his heels to begin with from Jackson's cut in the opposite direction.

I didn't have a dog in this fight either way so I really didn't care that much, but the officiating stunk imo.

As far as reasons supporting an inside slant on who the NFL wanted to win (if they in fact did), I can think of a couple of reasons...reviving NFL interest in Detroit via the "hometown boy" winning, reviving memories of a dormant NFL dynasty to bolster a triumvirate AFC rivalry conglomerate of 3 weaker media markets (NE, Indy, Pitt). Seattle winning would give them nothing really.

both the national media and the Seahawks, including Mike Holgram, seem to agree that Seattle got outplayed last night. the first quarter was a mess for the Steelers offense. and for much of the game, Rothlisberger was either lobbing the ball, in the case of the two interceptions, or throwing it too hard. but the D kept it together. eventually the offense jumped on board, Ben got comfortable, and the rest is history.

crazy night last night. my voice is gone, my head hurts, but i feel like a million bucks. :)