• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NFL 2005 Season Thread

I gotta take my Steelers as the Wildcard team most likely to reach the Superbowl. my reason is they are peaking at the right times. I do not see how you can question the Steelers defense - although their secondary is their most weekest point. they have Troy Polamalu back there, remember ;)

Thankfully we are playing the Bungals! =D i dont think we can beat NE. They just have our number. :(

Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go! Here we go steelers, here we go!

Many people will disagree with this, but I gotta go with the Manning brothers battling it out in the Superbowl, with Peyton leading the colts to victory over his little brother.

By the way, did you guys see that Marcus Vick was going pro? That will be interesting as he is a much better passer than his brother. And he is just as good at running the ball.

AxL BLaZe said:
I gotta take my Steelers as the Wildcard team most likely to reach the Superbowl. my reason is they are peaking at the right times. I do not see how you can question the Steelers defense - although their secondary is their most weekest point. they have Troy Polamalu back there, remember ;)

It totally comes down to Troy and the secondary. During the losing streak, Troy was not making the big plays and the corners constantly got burned. The Steelers had the Colts offense clocked after the first few mistakes during the Monday night game. Had it not been for that on-side kick and a QB who was playing hurt, I think the Colts game would have been much closer. But one game at a time. The Bengals are coming off some tough losses, and the Steelers are coming off a four-game winning streak. And after all Cincinnati is Heinz Field West.

My bad on predicting the Giants in the Superbowl... I thought Eli was more mature than he really is. I didn't think he would be so nervous at home after the impressive season he had for a 2nd year QB.

My prediction of the Colts still holds though. The NFC team that makes it will definately be hard to predict, but Carolina suprised the hell out of me. I think they look pretty good. I'd have to go with da Bears though now that the Giants are out.

that was horrible for Palmer to go down so early, but it was a clean hit. the Steelers have played well as underdogs, thus the 15-1 record last year was something of a curese. next week in Indianapolis will be very interesting. with a healthy Rothlisberger, it will surely be a lot different than the earlier match up.

pats and colts in afc championship. seahawks and bears in the nfc. seahawks will ride on shuan alexanders back to superbowl XL and lose to the pats.

my reasoning for the pats beating indy is because of the way peyton has choked in big games. also, the pats d has improved drastically over the past few games. the pats have won 5 of their last 6 games by a total of 164 to 62. with most games being a blow out. their only loss was ne 3rd string versus miami's 1st string. and it was only a 2 point loss.

steelers (ugh, maybe Indy) VS broncos AFC Championship

carolina (yes, Carolina) VS seattle NFC Championship.

the dude who picked the Giants to go all the way makes me laugh. a lot of people had them going all the way - to see the Manning bros show down. the Giants have the offensive weapons in Burress, Toomer, and Barber - but Eli just not there yet. besides Strahan, their defense could use some work as well. I have picked Carolina to go to the SuperBowl since the start of the season, so I am sticking with them in true form ;)

if the Steelers could beat Indy, they could win it all. everything I say about the AFC is bias because I might be the biggest Steelers fan anyone ever saw.

it was heartbreaking to see Palmer go down like that, and it was questionable hit by Defensive End Kimo Von Ollhaffen... but it's Steelers defense. hopefully that will scare the next QBs they have to play.

does anybody else love The Steelers' trick plays? with two other wide outs who played college QB, they can run those double pass plays. and the only type of team that can successfully run those type plays are the teams that can constantly run the ball. does anybody else love Jerome Bettis? he is the personification of true character and grit. I lived watching him play for the black and the gold - and every game he ran his ass off. he breaks shoulder tackles with a fling of the hand.

good football weekend =D

I LOVE watching the Bungals lose. Keep in mind that Denver beat New Englad once this year...so they're capable of doing it again. Colts have had Denver's number in the playoffs the last two years, so I'm not too worried about that. And Indy/New England AFC Championship sounds yummy. Fans in the dome will be out for blood.

yes, the broncos beat the pats this year. of course the pats were without dillon, samual, bruschi(he prob will be limited this sat), seymore, and various other d players. the pats have a much stronger team now then they did in week 6.

I think Peyton Manning will choke this year. don't know when or where, but preferably against the Steelers. they have lost a lot of momentum throughout the last leg of the season.

AxL BLaZe said:
does anybody else love The Steelers' trick plays? with two other wide outs who played college QB, they can run those double pass plays. and the only type of team that can successfully run those type plays are the teams that can constantly run the ball.

that direct snap to El, lateral to Rothlisberger, and bomb to Wilson was the greatest Steeler play of the year. and if Bettis hadn't gotten so excited on the play where he was to supposed to pass, he would have had an easy touchdown throw. i agree about the run game too. with Parker and Bettis, the Steelers force the defense to stay guessing, since each back represents a different threat, thereby allowing for the "trickery" and gadget plays.

i'm hopeful about this Sunday. Townsend and Taylor have really stepped up, the offensive line has also gotten its head together. if these guys can stay focused, not false start, and stop the deep pass, i think the game will be MUCH closer than the national media claims. these next five days will go by very slowly; i can't wait.

does anybody else love Jerome Bettis?
yes! =D even with the extra weight, he is still extremely valuable to the team. i hope he sticks around for one more year. he deserves a ring.

AxL BLaZe said:
I think Peyton Manning will choke this year. don't know when or where, but preferably against the Steelers. they have lost a lot of momentum throughout the last leg of the season.

as much as i dislike the steelers, i loathe indy more. i believe you're right. they do have a tremendous amount of momentum going for them

AxL BLaZe said:
what are some people's SuperBowl or SuperBowl semifinal predictions?
seattle over washington
new england over denver
indianapolis over pittsburgh
chicago over carolina

more predictions after i see how i do with these games :)

alasdair

damn alasdairm you stole my predictions!

i was completely demoralized by this weekend's raping of the Giants... but I'll be back to watching football next weekend. i would really like to see Chicago step up and do something in the playoffs but they have a tough road to go down.

Yeah, it sucked that Palmer went down so early.

But I'd still have to say that Cincy is still a better team, no doubt about it.
I gurantee if The Colts, Patriots, and most certainly the Steelers lost their starting QB, they wouldn't go very far in the playoffs either.

It's a shame that's the only way Pitt can beat Cincy. I've heard people say "yeah but the Steelers still ran it all over the Bengals".

True, but if Carson would've been in the Bengals would put up a lot of points quick, and the Steelers would've been forced to pass all game.

That's ok thou, WHO DEY will be back in full force next year, with an improved D they will be unstoppable.

^ you can't seriously claim Cinci is the better team than Pitt. delusions of grandeur, man. The Steelers beat you 2 outta the 3 times this season. we are the true owners of the AFC North. however, I am glad the Bungles are finally good enough for this game to be considered a rivalry and to actually mean something.

WE DEY!

when the Steelers can run all over you - you are going to lose. no question about that.

LapDawg said:
The Chargers certainly provided the blueprint, but I don't think the secondaries of the first two will hold up against the Colts at RCA. The Broncos seems like the team best suited to beat them, but then again they also have the psychological disadvantage of being beaten badly by the Colts in the playoffs for two straight seasons. Cincy's fade at the end of the year was a little disturbing, but it'd be fun to see them shoot it out with the Colts again if they get the chance.

also, a little known fact around the league is that the Steelers are 4-0 against the Colts in the playoffs. whodathunkit? they are just 4-1 alltogether with regular season games included.

the steelers have been playing the underdog card week. with the number of big teams and years of overhyped expectations pittsburgh has had, it's a welcome change. the game against cinci was one of the rare times i've seen them drop eight or nine into pass coverage. look for more of the same on sunday.