• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NFL 2005 Season Thread

AxL BLaZe said:
not so fast, banquo. you are right in that Denver is not nearly as a high-octane offense as the Colts, but Denver's offense kinda reminds me of the Baltimore Ravens. and you know how the Steelers play against them.......
right. i didn't mean to suggest that it would be an easy game. it's the AFC Championship for chrissakes. it will be a tough game, and it's best the Steelers stay underdogs. the latest point spread i saw was Steelers +3.5. fortunately, the team is not too beat up, and i think the psychology they used last week should be used this week as well.

as for the interception call, i now have no doubt that the refs got it wrong...

NEW YORK -- The NFL said the referee made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball.

The league acknowledged Monday that referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309

AxL BLaZe said:
with even more retrospection - ALL of the officiating in the playoff games was BAD. just BAD. you can recall many calls during these 4 games that were horrible. the New England pass interference deal comes to mind... these refs really need to step up and call the game better.

i couldn't have said it better myself.

i dislike the steelers. but i dispise the colts even more. it was great seeing the steelers beat the colts and the refs in indy. good job. my hat's off to ya. as for the pats game. well, turn-overs will kill you. however. the pats wouldn't have been in the position if it wasn't for the terrible pass interference call made by a ref who had no right making that call. not to mention that the flag was unbelievably late. oh yeah, they also need better camera coverage in the endzone. because that int. should have been ruled a touchback. but hey, turn-overs are a bitch.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!

Banquo said:
right. i didn't mean to suggest that it would be an easy game. it's the AFC Championship for chrissakes. it will be a tough game, and it's best the Steelers stay underdogs. the latest point spread i saw was Steelers +3.5. fortunately, the team is not too beat up, and i think the psychology they used last week should be used this week as well.

yeah I know that you know that Denver will not be a walk in the park for us. they are the number two seed for a reason. this game is special to me, because in '97 I attended the then AFC Championship game of Pitt VS Denver at Pitt. it was a heartbreaking loss... I want revenge!

yeah, on vegas.com the early line is Pitt 3.5 point underdog. the "experts" at Vegas are now deeming the Broncos the favorites to win, with an anticipated Denver/Seattle.

my prediction, as it was in the preseason and as it is now is:

Pitt VS Carolina in the SuperBowl.

I called this out during the preseason games and if this happens I would be amazed... I hardly ever get these things right!

It's great the NFL took the right stand and admitted a mistake when they usually try to explain it as correct.

Seems like officiating is always questionable come playoff time regardless of the year...comes with the bigger microscope these games are examined with.

MaddenChamp said:
8)

How much are you willing to bet?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5252682

Pete Morelli determined it wasn't a catch," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said. "That was his judgment."

Anyone whop has ever watched a single NFL game knows replays go by undisputable evidence...and personal opinion does NOT qualify as undisputable evidence. The call on the field was an interception, that means they needed undisputable evidence to overturn that call. And personal judgement does not qualify.

Hah...I didn't think the NFL would own up to a mistake like history has dictated before, but for once they did the right thing. It's nice you left out the part about me saying I agreed it was a pick and a fumble.

LapDawg said:
It's great the NFL took the right stand and admitted a mistake when they usually try to explain it as correct.

Seems like officiating is always questionable come playoff time regardless of the year...comes with the bigger microscope these games are examined with.

my opinion is that the officiating should be near flawless nowadays - ESPECIALLY concerning challenges and double checking under the 2 minute warning. the officiating of the AFC divisional games were HORRIBLE.

oh yeah, thanks NFL for admitting you made a shitty interception call. so great of you all. what if the game was based on that call alone? what about during the regular season (and I'll use the Steelers because this is the team I watch every snap of) when the Steelers played the Patriots and the game WAS DECIDED by the time keepers not keeping the correct time during the final seconds of the last quarter - and when the Steelers had the ball driving against the Pats in the last ticks they ran out of time? that is a horrible feeling.

there is no excuse for poor officiating, at this level of the NFL playoffs. get your act together NFL - I never want to hear of officials "taking back" plays post-game :X :X

AxL BLaZe said:
my opinion is that the officiating should be near flawless nowadays - ESPECIALLY concerning challenges and double checking under the 2 minute warning. the officiating of the AFC divisional games were HORRIBLE.

oh yeah, thanks NFL for admitting you made a shitty interception call. so great of you all. what if the game was based on that call alone? what about during the regular season (and I'll use the Steelers because this is the team I watch every snap of) when the Steelers played the Patriots and the game WAS DECIDED by the time keepers not keeping the correct time during the final seconds of the last quarter - and when the Steelers had the ball driving against the Pats in the last ticks they ran out of time? that is a horrible feeling.

i am a pats fan. and that was fucked up. the officiating crew durring that game screwed up big time.

much like the nba, mlb, and the nhl, post-season games in the nfl are officiated by veteran "all-star" officials. well, in the afc divisional games. the crews were for from "all-stars". the nfl needs to do a much better job hand-picking these refs. and maybe have a few extra guys up in the review box. along with, maybe, 1 extra minute to review the play in question.

^ they need to get their act together, for sure. hopefully they will for us fans' sake!

Again.

Sorry MOTHERFUCKERS, but the Hawks are going to the SUPERBOWL and [i cant believe i'm saying this with a straight face] THEY'RE GOING TO WIN!!! (i think)

:D

^ I think that the NFL's MVP, S. Alexander, is too injury prone to match up to a team with a hard hitting defense - like the Panthers, the Broncos, and the certainly the Steelers. I cannot bet against the Panthers right now in the NFC. I don't like how Seattle matches up defensively against them either, look for the Panther D to want to physically take Alexander out of the game = if they can do that it's an easy win (focus on containing Hasselback).

however, this is futile because I am certain the AFC will stomp on the NFC - no matter what two teams are fielded out of the remaining ones ;)

AxL BLaZe said:
steelers (ugh, maybe Indy) VS broncos AFC Championship

carolina (yes, Carolina) VS seattle NFC Championship.

sorry to quote myself but I just wanted to point out that I predicted both of the championship games correctly a couple weeks ago.

/pats self on back.

my SB prediction is:

Carolina VS Pitt - with Pitt winning at Jerome Bettis' hometown!!

i think that the only nfc team that stands a chance against the afc is carolina. however, seattle's d isn't that bad. very underated. i'd like to see them go to the superbowl. but the wouldn't win it.

BUMP.

here we go Steelers, here we go!

what are some people's most insane/irrational showing of NFL football pride and superstition? the last two playoff games I have drank at the same bar, sat at the same seat, not washed my #7 Ben Roethlesburger jersey, and I have yet to shave. I will not change any of that for this post-season!

I still predict a Carolina VS Pitt SuperBowl. anybody change their predictions?

Steeltown!

20060123wap_rberger_ward_juboPJ01_300.jpg

kittyinthedark said:
Almost only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. :)

yes it does. Jake "the mistake" Plummer proved himself once again.

NEXT BUS STOP: DETROIT!!

Denver shut down the run cold. Luckily, Rothlisberger was able to spread the ball around and hit a number of recievers -- Wilson, Ward, Miller, and El come to mind. Although, I hope the Steelers will be underdogs for the Super Bowl, since they seem to play well under that mentality, they gotta like being matched up with Seattle (or Carolina). Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mark Malone, and Bubby Brister were no where close to being the QB that Rothlisberger has been this year. These next two weeks are going to take forever.

plummer did pretty fucking good in the 4th man. but the steelers still kicked ass. And Polamalu is one crazy mother.

this is a bonus for steelers fans!

Visiting Detroit is just about the only way you can feel better about your home city.