• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NFL 2005 Season Thread

^ so true, heh.

how does everyone feel about SuperBowl 40? Steelers VS Seahawks @ Detroit, this is the first year a number 6th seed (in the current NFL playoff system) has ever reached the SuperBowl.

what are some people's predictions on the game? come on ya'll, don't be scared, just throw out some numbers. it will be interesting to see how far or close we all came.

since everyone here knows what a homer I am...

STEELERS 31
SEAHAWKS 23

now go on with your predictions...

I can't beleive the Colts AND Panthers lost in their games... I lost all respect for both teams... My predictions have been unbelievably terrible this season...

I hate to say it, but watch out for New York Giants and the Colts next season...

But anyways, the AFC is much, much stronger than the NFC this season. The Super Bowl will be very lobsided. The Steelers have won my respect finally. The Seahawks will never win me over. They are extremely lucky and overrated in my opinion... I guess we will see in two weeks though. But just look at the regular season and you will see that the AFC is much better than the NFC

^34-30 head-to-head in favor of the AFC...I wouldn't say the gap is as wide as you say it is, but it does seem like the top AFC teams are stronger than the top NFC teams.

I'll be rooting for the Seahawks, if only to see Holmgren make some history in attempting to be the first coach ever to win a superbowl with two different teams.

The Steelers have just been playing dominant football the past two weeks, however, and I have a hard time seeing Seattle beating them if Pitt can continue the offensive balance and stifling defense. I was really disappointed in Denver's lack of physical play against the Steeler receivers, and I expect Seattle to play them tighter with much better bump coverage than what the Broncos did.

If Pitt can break the 7-man front of Seattle with the run, it'll be a long night for Seahawks fans. Conversely, if Seattle can maintain their ability to pressure the QB, which they are one of the best in the league at, then they should be able to get the necessary stops they'll need to win.

On the other side, the Seattle O-Line will decide a lot. The Steelers, up to this point in the playoffs, have not faced a line as touted as the Seahawks, and it will be up to those bigs to live up to their reputation for Seattle to gain the advantage. Jurevicious has been awfully quiet in the playoffs so far, but I have a feeling he'll play a big part in the Superbowl if the Seahawks are going to contend. Darrell Jackson is just getting into the flow and will a tough matchup for any of the Steelers defenders. However, Seattle has shown some weakness against strong blitzing teams, so the protection will have to be at its best for any hope to put that first Lombardi Trophy into Paul Allen's hands.

my mind says 23-14 Steelers, but my heart likes a 24-21 Seahawks victory.

^ the Steelers have whipped every single "great" NFC team that was on their schedule this year. it is kinda funny they are the 6th seed in the AFC, while they dismantle the 2nd seed in the NFC.

I just find it scary for the Seahawks that Defensive Coordinator, Dick LeBeau, has two weeks to scheme up blitzes that will work against Seattle's offensive formations. defensively the Steelers must smack Alexander in the mouth, early and often, and he will be a non-factor. then apply the blitzing pressure against Hasselback, but be sure to stay true to your blitzing lanes cuz Hasselback can scramble a bit.

LeBeau probably held back a lot of his game plan Sunday (and maybe even the Sunday before). There was no need to shift into full on brilliant mode. The one thing I've noticed the last few years is that Cowher and/or his assistants hold out on using the gadget plays and wierd blitz schemes unless they really need them. It really is a poker match, chess game, or whatever sports cliche is you want to use. Never show your cards, unless you need to. There are probably some Broncos leftovers that can be used. The Seahawks defense seems to be comparable to Denver in that they are smaller and faster (?) than what the Steelers are used to. For the Seahawks offense, look for more Steeler run blitzes to stop Alexander.

I haven't gotten my hair cut since after the Monday night loss to Indy...I'm startin to look like a pirate. =D

LOL Banquo I just sold out and got it cut. there comes a line between supersition of a man's sports teams and just looking like one ugly motherfucker ;)

AxL BLaZe said:
^ the Steelers have whipped every single "great" NFC team that was on their schedule this year. it is kinda funny they are the 6th seed in the AFC, while they dismantle the 2nd seed in the NFC.

Oh yeah...we all know how great the NFC north is in '06. ;) I guess the Bears showed what kind of 2nd seed they were this year when they were embarrassed by just one player in their lone playoff game.

The overhype in that statement above is just comical AxL. Every single great NFC team that was on their schedule this year? I'd argue there were no great NFC teams on their schedule...maybe one pretty good, yet clearly flawed team. Seattle's just a taaad more balanced and explosive than Chicago, in my humble opinion.

^ I agree with you on on Seattle being a touch above Chicago in both facets of the game.

however, has anyone seen Seattle's schedule? it is laughable at best:

Game Date Start Time Opponent Results TV
Friday, August 12 5:00 pm PT at New Orleans W 34-15 KONG
Monday, August 22 5:00 pm PT Dallas L 18-10 ABC
Saturday, August 27 5:30 pm PT at Kansas City W 23-17 KONG
Friday, September 2 6:00 pm PT Minnesota L 23-21 KONG
Sunday, September 11 10:00 am PT at Jacksonville L 26-14 FOX
Sunday, September 18 1:00 pm PT Atlanta W 21-18 FOX
Sunday, September 25 1:00 pm PT Arizona W 37-12 FOX
Sunday, October 2 10:00 am PT at Washington L 20-17 FOX
Sunday, October 9 10:00 am PT at St Louis W 37-31 FOX
Sunday, October 16 5:30 pm PT Houston W 42-10 ESPN
Sunday, October 23 1:00 pm PT Dallas W 13-10 FOX
Sunday, November 6 1:05 pm PT at Arizona W 33-19 FOX
Sunday, November 13 1:00 pm PT St Louis W 31-16 FOX
Sunday, November 20 1:05 pm PT at San Francisco W 27-25 FOX
Sunday, November 27 1:00 pm PT New York Giants W 24-21 FOX
Monday, December 5 6:00 pm PT at Philadelphia W 42-0 ABC
Sunday, December 11 1:00 pm PT San Francisco W 41-3 FOX
Sunday, December 18 10:00 am PT at Tennessee W 28-24 FOX
Saturday, December 24 1:00 pm PT Indianapolis W 28-13 CBS
Sunday, January 1 10:00 am PT at Green Bay L 23-17 FOX
Saturday, January 14 1:30 pm PT Washington W 20-10 FOX
Sunday, January 22 3:30 pm PT Carolina W 34-14 FOX
Sunday, February 5 3:30 pm PT at Pittsburgh ABC

* I personally think the 'hawks would have lost that first playoff game if Washington could ever muster ANY offense whatsoever.

well, the 'hawks played 4 play-off teams this year.(+1 including carolina) they have a very underated defense. and some veterans with superbowl experience, including their coach. it will be a good game. i think the game will be settled by less than a touchdown. with the seahawks on top.

the early line from Vegas has the Steelers the victor with a spread of 5 points, last time I checked.

I think I am going to go with the Steelers with a 17 margin for victory.

Ben.jpg

that's all i have to say!

I will hereby simultaneously give myself credit for a great early season prediction, and at the same time chastise myself as said prediction ended up blowing up in my face.

Before the season started, I saw that the Indianapolis Colts were listed at approximately 8-1 odds to win this year's Super Bowl (they were actually listed as the third-favorites behind New England and Philly).

And at that time, to me, it was painfully obvious that people were vastly underestimating the facts that Peyton Manning is entering his prime as arguably the most gifted quarterback in the history of the NFL, that Edgerrin James, recently thought to be one of the top three or four running backs in football was finally rounding into his previous healthy and world-beating form, and that those two supertsars, along with the Colts' excellent offensive line, their superb deep core of receivers, and their vastly improved defense (which would further benefit from Dungy's creative defensive mind), that the 2005 Colts could very well end up being one of the greatest teams of all time and end up challenging the 1972 Dolphins perfect season - simply put, I saw this as an almost unbeatable football team.

Obviously, I didn't wager so much as one penny on the Colts at 8-1 odds because gambling is illegal, immoral and a sin against God.

But that still didn't take away from my sense of satisfaction when by week nine or ten, people were talking about the 2005 Colts as potentially the greatest one-year NFL team of all time . . . when, pardon my ego, I had this shit figured out before the season even started.

All of that said, I hereby take my hand off (please, SOMEBODY tell me they get this Pantheon-level Unintentional Comedy reference) to the Pittsburgh Steelers for coming into a place that was designed to routinely aid the already super-talented Colts team to score close to forty points a game, and for holding the Colts to a mere three most of the way through the game.

I am open to arguments that "Peyton Manning's an equally unclutch rich man's Karl Malone."

But more than anything, on that day three Sundays ago, we were all treated to one of the things that makes sports so great - that once in a blue moon, when a Buster Douglas or the Pittsburgh Steelers can catch the far more talented athlete/team off guard and by the time the superior boxer/team realizes what's happening, it's too fucking late.

My mother and my girlfriend might very well have a valid point that spending hundreds (and what used to be thousands) of hours a year in front of the TV watching sports is a waste of time . . .

. . . but without being willing to endure some "Warriors 92, Bobcats 74" snorefests, we'd never have the pleasure of knowing that we, along with millions of other crazed fans, got to share in a moment of history.

L O V E L I F E said:
But more than anything, on that day three Sundays ago, we were all treated to one of the things that makes sports so great - that once in a blue moon, when a Buster Douglas or the Pittsburgh Steelers can catch the far more talented athlete/team off guard and by the time the superior boxer/team realizes what's happening, it's too fucking late.

very well said =D you are getting me a little too pumped up back here