• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official NCAA football thread

Well other than Hawaii.....What other team deserves to get in over LSU???

I think that LSU gets in by default....Yea people wanna give LSU crap about their losses but they played against teams w/ 2 legitimate Heisman Trophy candidates....Arkansas will prob go down in CFB history w/ one of the best all around ground games ever....UK just slumped in the 2nd half of the season....Not to mention both games were nail biters into 3 OT's....

I cant see any other team getting in over LSU tho.....Id give Hawaii a shot at a NC in a plus one format.....But not in the current BCS format....

Oh.....Illinois and Kansas dont belong in the BCS this year.....Missouri and Arizona St. got screwed....I dont think the Conf championship loser should be penalized while the team they beat out to get to the Conf Champ gets in.....Thats bullshit

I was really hoping for a USC-UGA matchup too....I think USC would pull it out w/ the way they're playing right now...UGA would still have a good chance though....Would've been a great game

Other than the NC the other most intriguing game looks to be WVU and OU....I think OU will pull that one out....

work was really interesting last night. I was bartending as the BCS selection show came on and it was fun hearing every person talk about the Ohio State VS LSU match-up. surprisingly, I heard more people talk about how OSU deserves to be there and LSU does not. however, I live up in the North-East so that northern bias is probably a factor.

at this point - what is arguing over who truly deserves to be there going to get us? the fact is that the system is flawed and everything is a quagmire. I found myself actually defending LSU because I feel that they deserve to be in the NC just as much as OSU. although I thought the SEC was pretty weak this year, it is still the SEC. I guess I have learned over the years that the two most impressive teams from either the SEC, Big 10, or Pac-10 will make it to the big dance.

LSU and OSU were the most impressive all year.

I think I am going down to New Orleans to see the NC. it kinda sucks that the game is in Louisiana. Buckeye fans are some of the best traveled sports fans in the entire world, but playing that game in the Big Easy is going to be a challenge for our fans.

atlas said:
tru, tru.

I just think USC-UGA was a much more compelling matchup

a lot of people are saying this but im not sure that they're actually watching usc. they're definitely playing better but they're by no means dominating anyone. imo they're just another mediocre 2 loss team hanging around at the top of the standings... take your pick

actually, the USC VS Illinois Rose Bowl is the second most hyped game I am looking forward to as of now. Illinois enters the game as obvious under-dogs but I think that they can pull out a win.

I also am looking forward to the Tennessee VS Wisconsin bowl game. the Badgers have a mean streak of destroying the SEC (remember Alabama a couple years back and Arkansas last year?). if Fullmer loses to another Big 10 team in a bowl game, I suspect he might be called out on to the chopping block.

Rose Bowl - Illinois VS USC (the BCS decided to choose the Illini for a better match-up not the better team, sorry Georgia)

Sugar Bowl - Georgia VS Hawaii (visions of BSU getting their "shit pushed in" [thanks atlas] are dancing in my head)

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma VS West Virginia (Oklahoma wins big)

Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech VS Kansas
(does Kansas deserve to be here more than Mizzou?!)

National Title - Ohio State VS LSU
(do either of these teams truly deserve to be here? I think the BCS should just void the NC this year, like boxing!)

what do you all think?

speculation re: the lame-o sugarbowl and rosebowl matchups:

Sugar bowl was given first pick before rosebowl, and they chose UGA, because they were the best draw available, and because of that "historical conference preference" BS.

ILL is in the picture for finishing 2nd in the Big10+1 8) Leaving MICH for a matchup with UF 8) 8)

I really want LSU to beat the crap out of OSU, but can't say anything until gametime. Don't wanna jinx it.

UGA-HAW should be ... interesting. Not the great matchup, but HAW earned a BCS berth and had to get put somewhere. I'm also a little giggley about KAN in the Orange Bowl when they are 2 spots behind MIZZ ;) Stupid bowl people :p Overall I see a couple of interesting bowl matchups, and a lot of crap :\

So what will all you haters say if the Big 10 goes 8-0 in bowls. Will you keep saying they are over ranked and the SEC is just sooooo tough?

I know it may or may not happen but I do think Wisconsin and OSU will both prevail, against the SU..I mean SEC.

Michigan will probably lose though.

hehehehe....MICH is up against UF, I wouldn't count them out. Yeah, they've got a lame duck non-coach and some players who were pissed about coming back for another year and ending up in the Crapitol One Bowl, but UF is still trying to get its young class together. I hope UF wins, but I wouldn't say it is a given. Just like I hope LSU wins, but it isn't a given. I need to check out the bowl listings again and see who plays who specifically. I recall several SEC-BIG10+1 matchups which might help dispel your delusions ;)

LINKY-->ESPN's quick list of the bowls, dates, times<--LINKY

SEC and Big10+1 teams
Purdue vs. Central Michigan (ooohhh, directionally challenged vs the Engineering school of Purdon't ... <3 to Finder on PU )
Boston College vs. Michigan State
UCF vs. Mississippi State (UCF will massacre them)
Penn State vs. Texas A&M
Alabama vs. Colorado
Kentucky vs. Florida State
Indiana vs. Oklahoma State
Clemson vs. Auburn
Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
Missouri vs. Arkansas
Michigan vs. Florida
Illinois vs. USC
Hawaii vs. Georgia
LSU vs. Ohio State

So, smotpoker already identified the 3 head-to-head matchups. Tough for a sweep for either conference, and my jinxaphobia prevents me from making predictions. Still, to have 9 SEC teams and 8 Big10+1 teams isn't too bad (thanks for 12 games in a season 8) ). Looks like even lovin' with an equal number of teams in BCS and NYDay games. Be fun to see how this one shakes out. :D

Expanded listings for those too lazy to check

Code:
[B]San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia[/B]
Utah vs. Navy 	San Diego 	Dec. 20, 9 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl[/B]
Memphis vs. Florida Atlantic 	New Orleans 	Dec. 21, 8 p.m. 	ESPN2 HD
[B]Papajohns.com Bowl[/B]
Southern Miss vs. Cincinnati 	Birmingham, Ala. 	Dec. 22, 1 p.m. 	ESPN2 HD
[B]New Mexico[/B]
Nevada vs. New Mexico 	Albuquerque, N.M. 	Dec. 22, 4:30 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Pioneer Las Vegas[/B]
UCLA vs. BYU 	Las Vegas 	Dec. 22, 8 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Sheraton Hawaii[/B]
Boise State vs. East Carolina 	Honolulu 	Dec. 23, 8 p.m. 	ESPN
[B]Motor City[/B]
Purdue vs. Central Michigan 	Detroit 	Dec. 26, 7:30 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Pacific Life Holiday[/B]
Arizona State vs. Texas 	San Diego 	Dec. 27, 8 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Champs Sports[/B]
Boston College vs. Michigan State 	Orlando, Fla. 	Dec. 28, 5 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Texas[/B]
TCU vs. Houston 	Houston 	Dec. 28, 8 p.m. 	NFL Network
[B]Emerald[/B]
Maryland vs. Oregon State 	San Francisco 	Dec. 28, 8:30 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Meineke Car Care[/B]
UConn vs. Wake Forest 	Charlotte, N.C. 	Dec. 29, 1 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]AutoZone Liberty[/B]
UCF vs. Mississippi State 	Memphis, Tenn. 	Dec. 29, 4:30 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Valero Alamo[/B]
Penn State vs. Texas A&M 	San Antonio 	Dec. 29, 8 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]PetroSun Independence[/B]
Alabama vs. Colorado 	Shreveport, La. 	Dec. 30, 8 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Bell Helicopter Armed Forces[/B]
California vs. Air Force 	Fort Worth, Texas 	Dec. 31, 12:30 p.m. 	ESPN
[B]Roady's Humanitarian[/B]
Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State 	Boise, Idaho 	Dec. 31, 2 p.m. 	ESPN2
[B]Brut Sun[/B]
South Florida vs. Oregon 	El Paso, Texas 	Dec. 31, 2 p.m. 	CBS
[B]Gaylord Hotels Music City[/B]
Kentucky vs. Florida State 	Nashville, Tenn. 	Dec. 31, 4 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Insight[/B]
Indiana vs. Oklahoma State 	Tempe, Ariz. 	Dec. 31, 6 p.m. 	NFL Network
[B]Chick-fil-A[/B]
Clemson vs. Auburn 	Atlanta 	Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Outback[/B]
Wisconsin vs. Tennessee 	Tampa, Fla. 	Jan. 1, 2008, 11 a.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]AT&T Cotton[/B]
Missouri vs. Arkansas 	Dallas 	Jan. 1, 2008, 11:30 a.m. 	FOX
[B]Gator[/B]
Texas Tech vs. Virginia 	Jacksonville, Fla. 	Jan. 1, 2008, 1 p.m. 	CBS
[B]Capital One[/B]
Michigan vs. Florida 	Orlando, Fla. 	Jan. 1, 2008, 1 p.m. 	ABC HD
[B]Rose Bowl presented by Citi[/B]
Illinois vs. USC 	Pasadena, Calif. 	Jan. 1, 2008, 4:30 p.m. 	ABC HD
[B]Allstate Sugar[/B]
Hawaii vs. Georgia 	New Orleans 	Jan. 1, 2008, 8:30 p.m. 	FOX
[B]Tostitos Fiesta[/B]
Oklahoma vs. West Virginia 	Glendale, Ariz. 	Jan. 2, 2008, 8 p.m. 	FOX
[B]FedEx Orange[/B]
Virginia Tech vs. Kansas 	Miami 	Jan. 3, 2008, 8 p.m. 	FOX
[B]International[/B]
Rutgers vs. Ball State 	Toronto 	Jan. 5, 2008, Noon 	ESPN2 HD
[B]GMAC[/B]
Bowling Green vs. Tulsa 	Mobile, Ala. 	Jan. 6, 2008, 8 p.m. 	ESPN HD
[B]Allstate BCS Championship Game[/B]
LSU vs. Ohio State 	New Orleans 	Jan. 7, 2008, 8 p.m. 	FOX

32 bowl games...
9 SEC teams (of 10 bowl eligible teams - left out was South Carolina, sorry Spurrier)
8 ACC teams (of 8)
8 Big12 teams (of 8)
8 Big10+1 teams (of 10 - Iowa, NW)
6 C-USA teams (out of 6)
6 PAC10 (of 6)
5 Big Easy (of 6 - Louisville)
5 WAC (of 5 - even got one BCS bowl :D )
4 MWC (of 4)
3 MAC (of 5 - Miami of Ohio, Ohio)
1 SunBelt (of 3 - Troy, Louisiana-Monroe)
1 Independent (of 2 - Western Kentucky, they took Navy)

FSU beat ALA but lost (badly) to UF....I think I'll take UK in that one. AzSt - TX ought to be interesting, and I think TexTech will put a whipping on Penn State. As for thinking COL will upset ALA, I don't think that's such a big upset considering how far ALA has fallen lately. Also be fun to watch MIZZ-ARK with McFad and Felix vs the tigers...too bad Nutt has left the building, as it might hurt ARK's chances in the game. I want to get excited for HI-UGA, but 85% of me says UGA will romp all over them, and 15% of me is about to throw up if they lose. Heh, as crappy as UT-NAVY might be, I'm just dying for bowl season to get started.

I wish we had a pool similar to NCAA basketball brackets where you had to pick the bowl winners - 1 pt for the Dec20 thru Dec 28 bowls, 2 pts for the Dec 29-31, 3 pts for the Jan 1, etc. Maybe I can figure something out for next year, unless one of you knows of something like this already existing?

Hawaii is overhyped with a strength of sched. of like, 118 I believe. The Dawgs will swallow up Colt Brennan. He better get used to Brandon Miller and Dannell Ellerbe on top of his ass all night! Go Dawgs! '99 UGA Alumni

StaffWriter said:
Hawaii is overhyped with a strength of sched. of like, 118 I believe.

i really doubted that but i checked, and you're abosolutely right.... wow. honestly, im really excited to watch that game. hawaii runs a pro-style offense but brennan hasnt seen a secondary as fast and physical as that of uga

oh, and congrats to tebow but i feel like mcfadden should've won the heisman this year