• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official NCAA football thread

the Buckeyes are most certainly a lock. you can take that to the bank. they are the only conference champion with one loss. I feel uneasy about "backing into" the BCS National Title game, but I also think that if no team wants to play in the big game, why not the Buckeyes? plus, it's how Florida got into the NC last year. and look how they fared.

now, let's run down the list of contenders and pretenders for the No. 2 position.

Georgia. you are playing the best football in the country right now. if we had a playoff system you would be the team that nobody wants to play right now. however, playoff system have we do not and you did not win your conference, much less your division.

Virginia Tech. you won your conference and finally proved the doubters that a two QB system can work and that your defense can stop Matt Ryan, but you lost 48 - 7 the second game of the year to LSU. I realize that you are a much different squad now than then, but nobody will send you to the BCS game with a loss like that.

Oklahoma. like UGA you are also playing your best football right now. since you have won your conference and since you dismantled Mizzou last night, some people think you should be more of a lock in the NC than Ohio State - and rightfully so. however, you did lose to Colorado and Texas Tech. however, you did not have your starting QB for both those games.

USC. speaking of losing two games without your starting QB, sup Trojans? nobody is playing better football defensively than you are right now. Booty is back and back with a vengeance. however, can we back up a team that lost to Stanford, who were 41 point underdogs? and can we back up a team that probably wouldn't win the Pac-10 if Oregon was healthy? the answer is no.

LSU. the Tigers have only lost in Overtime, meaning that they are the closest thing to an undefeated team this side of the Hawaiian Islands. they are peaking at the moment when Les Miles said that he is not going to Michigan. despite the Tigers almost sputtering against a worthless Tennessee team (more like they almost got out-coached), and the fact that they lost to two unranked teams, they are looking like the best fit for the BCS NC game.

my prediction: No. 1 OSU VS No. 2 LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

^^
ditto, enjoy your 2nd loss at the hands of an SEC team in as many years :D

Damnit if every week is a playoff as the BCS is fond of saying they should have to sleep in the bed they make and put hawaii in the game. but it will prolly be OSU and LSU which is sad we need a playoff.

I don't understand what you mean by the BCS sleeping in the bed they made, because if anything Hawaii proves that the BCS system is based a little bit on your strength of schedule, how much of it is is up for contention.

college football is a beauty pageant, not a sporting event. we vote for Miss America - we play for the Lombardi Trophy.

bottom line is they need a playoff system.

championship game should be OSU vs. USC or maybe LSU

but shit, Hawaii needs some SERIOUS consideration.

I agree, Max. a playoff system would be right.

I find it hard to root for Hawaii when they had to come from behind Washington last night. I will admit I am on the fence for this issue, though, as their QB is stellar and their defense has really stepped it up as of late. can anybody give me some reasons to care for the Rainbow Warriors? I am listening...

welcome to s&g Max.

About time someone welcomed me, haha. :)

Colt Brennan for the Heisman, anyone? 8o

MaxPowers said:
bottom line is they need a playoff system.

championship game should be OSU vs. USC or maybe LSU

but shit, Hawaii needs some SERIOUS consideration.

USC? In the national championship? Any team that loses to Stanford has no place in the BCS bowl. Neither does a team with 2 loses (LSU), when there are plenty of 1-loss teams ahead of you.

Hawaii is just getting shit on left and right. :(

Either way, its great to have Ohio State end the regular season as #1 (again) and play in the BCS championship game. :)

MaxPowers said:
About time someone welcomed me, haha. :)

Colt Brennan for the Heisman, anyone? 8o

normally, I would feel more comfortable with the Heisman going to either Tebow or McFadden, but they have their fair share of losses this year.

The reason I said the bed they made is because all the inteviews I have read with bcs proponents always talk about how exciting college football is because every week is like a playoff if you lose one your screwed or w/e. Well Hawaii beat everyone much like boise state did last year yet there gonna get screwed out of a title shot because there not a traditional power and not in a big strong conference. Im sure Hawaii would love to play a tougher schedule but the big teams wont play them because they have nothing to gain with a win and alot to lose with a loss. Plus with the way the system is set up stregnth of schedule and such it pays for the big conferences to keep the smaller ones out of the big money BCS games more money for them capitalism in action as im fond of saying.

very good points, drew. I think you have convinced me.

No. 1 OSU VS No. 2 Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl!

LSU vs Ohio State why do they even play the regular season. what a joke

I'm really glad that Hawaii got into a BCS bowl. They earned it. Now, I wonder how they will measure up playing a team (Georgia) that is much better than teams they played during the season. This will test Hawaii and let them know just how good of a football team they are. :)

atlas said:
as a georgia fan, i feel cheated. Give WVU the joke-ass WAC team!

lets see how you change your tune after Hawaii whoops that ass ;)

8o

^^^^
watch out thats what Oklahoma was saying about Boise State last year

tru, tru.

I just think USC-UGA was a much more compelling matchup, and I dont really know what Illinois is doing in the picture at all.

and, I must remind everybody of the last time (before boise's win in the bowls last year) that boise was supposed to be dangerous... was when they were due to come down to Athens, and really wow everybody... we totally pushed their shit in, and made everybody forget about their ridiculous conference.

^ I would have LOVED to see a USC/UGA game. That's what I was hoping for actually. :)