• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official NCAA football thread

I think that Tebow more than deserved this Heisman this year.

it's not his fault that his fellow team-mates can't get it done.

then again, I am also squeemish because if any player could match Archie Griffin's two Heisman trophy seasons, it is Tim Tebow.

Kinda unfair to the Big 10?

OSU VS LSU in Louisiana (In New Orleans)
Michigan vs Florida (In Orlando)
Penn State VS Texas A&M (San Antonio)
Illinois VS USC ( In Pasadena)
Purdue VS Central Michigan (In Detroit)

So let's see, 5 out of 8 of the Big 10 teams pretty much have to play at their opponents home field.

The cards are certainly stacked against the Big 10, the whole country is just dripping at their chops to see the Big 10 fall and reassure themselves that the sec is soooo much better than everyone else.

Whatever happens, I would be like to know what the results would be if LSU had to play OSU in Cleveland, if Florida played UM in Detroit, if A&M played Penn St. in Phily, and if USC played Illinois in Chicago.

Yeah these contests might not officialy be home games, but they might as well be. Maybe Big 10 teams don't play quite as well in the heat, but I gurantee LSU or Florida would have their share of struggles if they had to play up north in December or January.

First, I have to point out that playing in these souther climates (the 'heat') isn't relevant. Recall your teams are coming down to the south during the WINTER when temps are in the 50's-70's, the same thing your northern teams have been playing in from Aug thru Oct and sometimes into Nov, so if anything they're better adjusted for the temps than southern teams who spent Aug thru Nov in 70's-100's. A northern team going south, not relevant. A southern team going north - you are absolutely correct it would make a big shift to benefiting the northern teams, since southern teams hardly ever see snow or temps that cold. In that regard, you would be right.

I don't think there is any doubt that home field (climate) plays a role - hell, look at how the NFL cherishes home field during playoffs and the Patriots or Greenbay historically do well at home in the winter. But that's not college football bowl season, is it? Bowl season is about rewarding teams that played well throughout the season, it's about matchups to compare (hopefully relatively equal) teams that normally wouldn't see each other. You could have those matchups in Cleveland or Detroit, but do you honestly think the Big10 teams would consider that playing in those locations is a reward for a long hard season? That the players get to celebrate a conference championship and go to a bowl game and spend time dodging bullets (unfair, couldn't help myself) or shuffling thru the snow or taking in all the wonderful to-do stuff in northern cities in January?

Yes, (closer to) home games for the Big10+1 would be an advantage to them in these matchups, and I can't deny that I also see the advantage given to southern teams since so many bowls are in warmer climates - it's tradition to hold the bowl games there. Would you, and your Big10+1 buddies, and your Pac10 brethren be interested in undoing something that is such a well established tradition? How about starting with yourselves first, like extend the Big10+1 season a week or two, or break open the stranglehold the Rose Bowl has on you guys. I don't think anyone will listen to cries for change unless they see you changing yourselves first.

But I do see where your complaint actually *can* be addressed - playoffs. Given a playoff system, there are more games to be played, but you don't want to necessarily give the top 8, 12, 16 teams extra money in bowl games and exclude other 6+ win teams that have historically gotten some reward for a winning season. Let the bowl games be played by the chumpier teams. Let the top teams have playoffs, with home field and seedings, then finish them off with bowl games (some can be exhibition, like Rose Bowl taking whatever is the highest Big10+1 and Pac10 teams knocked out of the playoffs...if they haven't already played each other). You'd still have your bowl games, and they can have their traditions, and you can still get a playoff system - one that more fairly accommodates home field for higher seeded teams.

But until then, you have what you've always had, bowl games in warm climates that will often pull in a local team (to fill the seats) and a far away team (for a nice matchup), and the continued chest pounding by the likes of ND (staying at home) and OSU about how well their fans travel.......to warm climates ;)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3159534

Looks like Kentucky will destroy FSU in the Music City bowl. Even if none of the huge stars are involved (although I read on a forum that Geno Hayes was the idiot that got them caught) that with 20 players out, some starters will be involved.

Anyone know who they play the first three games of next season?

Free Shoes University reigns again 8) Good thing I'd already picked UK to win that bowl. As for next season, they open with ... I dunno. I'm guessing Colorado, since they played AT Colorado this year, and probably one conference game and a cupcake. Doesn't matter, they're looking at several more years of being a middle-to-low team from the ACC until they can get Bowden out of there, which looks targetted for 2010 based on Fisher's contract.

has anyone heard about the + 1 bcs system where the winners from the top 2 bcs bowls face each other for the title? apprently this system received the nod from ncaa head honchos. not perfect, but its a start

Geaux O-H-I-O.
Louisiana is going to get crushed again, this time by HURRICANE BUCKEYES BABY!!!!

I'm hoping the SEC wins out, GA over Hawaii and LSU stomping OSU. TX winning helps me, beating the overrated PAC 10, and I hope the SEC will stomp the Big 10+1, go LSU!! We shall see. If LSU wins, will the Big 10+1 agree they're overrated? I hope so.

It depends on the score. If it's a close game, I think it'd be unfair to say either team is overrated or underrated. If it's a blowout, either way, then maybe you can talk about overrated or whatever.
You gotta remember this is a HOME GAME for LSU. If the game was played in Cleveland or Cincinnati LSU would get crushed, playing in that rough Big 10 weather.
And will people please stop calling it the "Big 10 +1".

You sound like an idiot when you say that. It's called "The Big 10". I promise you if you just call it that everyone will get what you're talking about.

No, the comishiner sounded like an idiot when he decided to keep it, enviting "the conference that cant count" jokes. The whole "there's an 11 in the negative space" doesn't work with most fonts.

Possible new names:

Rust belt conference
Negative population growth conference
We used to be a dynasty conference

OK, enough senseless hate from me ;) I do love, however, all the hedging and winging from OSU fans about how its a home game from LSU, though. The Buckeyes are supposedly the best team in football, at least that's the impression you superfans have been giving us all season. If anything does you in, it wont be the fans, it'll be the speed.

Oh, and we play bowl games in the South because your weather sucks balls. Don't call it a strength, its a personal failure. ;)

Where do you get that OSU fans have acted like OSU is the best all season? Too much LSD this weekend?

I agree that the name should be changed to Big 11, but it's not, so, call it what it's called...The Big 10.

Lol, make bad jokes about the midwest. I could call the SEC the obvious names, inbred conference, bitter civil war losers conference, among others, but I won't.

The speed? This perception that the SEC has so much speed makes me laugh. There are fast players all over the country. To act like the SEC is so much faster is just plain silly.

Weather sucking, that's a matter of opinion. I happen to enjoy the cold and the snow, you can keep your 100 degree 100 percent humid summers, I'd rather not sit in an outside sauna.

LSU's gonna be in for a rude awakining on January 7th when the boys from Columbus take over the SuperDome.

Pander Bear said:
No, the comishiner sounded like an idiot when he decided to keep it, enviting "the conference that cant count" jokes. The whole "there's an 11 in the negative space" doesn't work with most fonts.

Possible new names:

Rust belt conference
Negative population growth conference
We used to be a dynasty conference

OK, enough senseless hate from me ;) I do love, however, all the hedging and winging from OSU fans about how its a home game from LSU, though. The Buckeyes are supposedly the best team in football, at least that's the impression you superfans have been giving us all season. If anything does you in, it wont be the fans, it'll be the speed.

Oh, and we play bowl games in the South because your weather sucks balls. Don't call it a strength, its a personal failure. ;)

Funny, all I can recall hearing all year long is how great the SEC is. Not that OSU is the best team in football but how inferior the Big 10 is. Do you just come up with this stuff from your butthole?

Oh, and we play bowl games in the South because your weather sucks balls. Don't call it a strength, its a personal failure.

At least we don't have Hurricane's that wipe half of our population. Yeah you're right, I'd much rather live in Louisiana lol!

If LSU is that good - they wouldn't have lost two times this season.

Just sayin... ;)

...in tripple overtime twice... not to a 4th tier backwater program that doesnt belong in the rose bowl.

haterade_sm.GIF

;)