• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2008-09 NCAA football thread!

anybody, especially some soft-ass big ten school like penn. ;)

richt's bowl record is 6-2, but I couldn't really tell what you were typing there.

The fire is kinda out of me. The bowl games haven't been MSU, PSU, and OSU don;t stand a chance with their matchups. My conference is just starting to play theirs. I'm kind of just waiting for Saturday NFL playoffs. Though Florida Oklahoma is still a big deal game. :)

USC looked really good. I dont know if theyre the BEST this year, but they're up there.

And how shitty of Joe Paterno not to come to the locker room during half time? I mean, his sorry ass team was trailing and needed his support and inspiration and he didn't even leave the press box. Dont give me this shit about "look how old he is!". The guy got up there, he can get down at half time. Get him a wheel chair, do something. If he's that old and immobile maybe he shouldn't be coaching in the first place if he can't even show his face in the locker room at the half when his team is losing. 8)

lol, I doubt there's anything he could do in the locker room to turn the Pennstate ship around.

So yea Alabama...what the fuck just happened?!
3 touchdowns in the first 9 minutes.
8 fucking sacks when there was only 12 all year.
Andre Smith is a selfish asshole.
Fucking Chuck Norris.
We got our ass handed to us.
The end.

Very surprised. I love watching Utah, but I didn't think they had it in 'em.

In other news:

Ole Miss beats Texas Tech!
Vandy Beats Boston College!
LSU MURDERS Georgia Tech

And we still have the cotton Bowl and the championship to look forward to!

My prediction:

Texas 35
Ohio State 13

Just sayin, keepin it real. :\

Code:
Pac-10 	5-0
SEC 	5-2
Big East 	4-2
Big 12 	3-2
C-USA 	3-2
Mountain West 	3-2
Sun Belt 	1-1
ACC 	4-6
WAC 	1-4
Big Ten 	1-5
MAC 	0-4

Freakin 5-0 Punk10 :! Probably need to a look a little closer at their matchups, but given how piss poor everyone thinks those teams are....that's a damn good record.

I was hoping to come in with some SEC smack about winning as many (or more) than any other conference, despite the fact that I know how much of this is bullshit matchups and not real 'even' games :\ Besides, it's hard to be proud of your conference when your second best team just imploded (AL v UT) ... but I won't get too upset about South Carolina (feel for Steve, but that team just can't get it's mind right).

Hell, can't even claim the most bowls attended, 'cuz ACC went 4-6. I suppose that's the effect of a mediocre conference, so many qualify....then lose their bowl =D

Hell if TX wins and OU wins, Big12 will finish 5-2 which would be better than the SEC 5-3 :\ Have to see how it unfolds (I strongly expect tOSU to get pounded by TX tonight.....as for UF-OU, I can't say anything more than it ought to be a GREAT game!).

Gah...I'll probably poke my head in here one or two more times after the NC, but I'm burnt out at this point. I can't even get excited for a crappy basketball season (crappy because my team probably won't make the dance and is still struggling against bad teams....meaning we are a bad team). If I don't have much stake in the NCAAM, then I probably won't care to keep up with that when NCAAF is over. I've still got a stake in this thread, obviously, but I'm cautiously optimistic and won't jinx us with any predictions - allowing me to remain the humble winner, or the respectful loser ... come what may.

props to OSU for (while losing), revealing Texas to be TOTALLY unworthy of a shot at the NC.

Pander Bear, how can you say that?
Texas proved themselves all season, and still are the best option to be playing Florida for the National Championship. Going by your theory Florida shouldn't have a chance because they lost to an UNRANKED team. Hell I know Texas played very poorly tonight, they had no heart, but they deserved a shot at the big game. And it's said that "good teams find a way to win" well your good team (Texas) played very poorly all night, and still managed to win (good team). So don't sit here and say they don't deserve it, because they do. You're talking about ONE bad game, in which they WON. So stick to the facts Texas was 0:01 from an undefeated season. Texas was 6 points away from an undefeated season, only one other team was closer- Florida who was 1 point away. Utah does not count because they're not in the BCS, although I do think there should be a playoff system in which Utah and Boise State should have been invited to.

I got exactly what I needed from last night's game. I wanted a bad showing by both teams, and while the first half was painful, the second half at least got interesting enough to watch. TX showed poorly enough, IMO, to shut up any further squawks about any split championship, but they did enough to win and keep that BCS losing streak going for tOSU. And, tOSU did well enough to keep the fans hopeful for another year (aren't they losing a buttload of seniors?)....so they can have their hearts crushed again next year. Anyone else thinking the panning shots of the Buckeye fans (the few that can be found) are starting to look the same every year? Edge of tears with disbelief....thinking "Why Us?" ... I <3 it. =D

I kinda feel bad for UT, and wish they had a playoff to show themselves more. I'm not sure Boise St would be in my playoff scenario, but I'm certain tOSU wouldn't be - that's not anti-tOSU bias, that's just how I see them.

Wow ... Big10+1 going 1 and 6 :eek: =D ;) =D

Wow ... Big12 having the big powerhouses of the south showing OSU losing to Oregon (freakin' OREGON!), TT losing to Ole Miss (yeah, that Ole Miss), and TX squeaking out a last minute win over tOSU. Maybe not so good, eh? ;)

open mind, I'm just pleased because these "high powered" big 12 offenses look absolutely pathetic when they run up against an even modestly physical football team. I echo TLB's sentiments to the letter.

wow Ohio State looked far more physical than Texas. it was refreshing to watch the Buckeyes push them around. nobody seemed to care about the Fiesta Bowl in the first half, save for Beanie Wells, who easily tore up pluss 100 yards on that soft Texas secondary (but Texas did have a pretty good D-line).

then they took Beanie out for almost all of the second half? wtf. seems like he is just ready to go pro, like most players here at Ohio State. how nice it would be to have a choir boy in Tim Tebow who will stay with ass cheeks spread all four years.

it looked like OSU was going to win. very surprising considering all the attention Texas was receiving. they couldn't pull it off, and I'm not surprised, with minutes to go Colt McCoy will be scoring a touchdown.

on the badness of the Big 10 in bowl games this year... it's not so bad if you look at all our matchups.

PSU VS USC... USC would beat any team at this point in the year. even Florida.
MSU VS UGA... did anybody think that MSU could win? I don't think you all understand how horrible of a team they are and how one dimensional their play calling is. the fact that they were beating UGA at some point is a sort of moral victory.
Northwestern VS Mizz... again, how could Northwestern win this one at all? Mizz is supossed to be serious bizz yet Northwestern took them to OT and almost won.
OSU VS Texas... was anybody giving the Buckeyes a shot? they should have won (that was a bad, bad spot for Texas on that Fourth Down call).

so there appears to be all moral victories, save for PSU, who had the daunting task of playing USC in January. I know moral victories don't mean shit, but every team the Big 10 played was ranked supremely higher and we could have won all those games. meh... as if I give a shit about college football anymore anyways. they need a playoff system because sports fans are simply not caring anymore.

and OSU is really not losing a lot of seniors. we have a very very young team besides a stud (lol Ed) linebacker, cornerback, and most obviously at running back.

at the very least it was fun to watch Terrelle Pryor punk out the Texas defense Mike Vick status. he is going to be giving teams hell for another two years.

ya, the big ten got shitty bowl matchups, its true. You'd think that they'd win a couple more by accident, though. Honesty I was prepared for MSU tearing apart UGA, given how we've played the past couple weeks of the regular season.

Given MIZZ's shellacking in the Big12 Chumpionship (another practice game for OU or TX, whomever got there)...and the way NW was strong all year - I fully expected NW to win, and was honestly pulling for them in general (one of those perpetual underdogs).

As for UGA-MSU, I'd seen UGA folding late in the season, especially after UF pounded them. I had hopes UGA would win, but was fully prepared for MSU to win and Ringer to run all over them. I did not *expect* UGA to win or MSU to get blown out. Then again, I watched UGA stomp LSU, then lose to GT, then watched LSU stomp GT....logic does not apply when you look at UGA.

JoePa and that HD-Spread? C'mon...conference champs? PSU sorely disappointed me, and makes me think anyone they 'beat' was even weaker than we expected. Yeah, USC is kicking ass, *hard*, and I'd put them with UTAH as someone peaking right now. But c'mon. This is the 'hope' of the Big10+1 for redemption, and they fell flatter than flat. I will also give a little leeway for the fact that USC was playing yet another 'home' game. That fact is not lost on me. Even given that, PSU disappointed. #6 vs #8 is not a mismatch. Conference champs is not a mismatch. The 'grandaddy of them all' has it's own weight and is motivation enough - just ask any Big10+1 or Punk10 team about that ;)

tOSU v TX? I already said it, but I'll say it again. I think TX was bad, tOSU did a helluva lot better than I expected and almost won. Almost won. They had a chance, a really good chance, so I'm not going to call that the mismatch everyone expected. Between TX sucking and tOSU overachieving, this was not a mismatch, IMO.

What probably pisses me off the most, and it's still brewing inside, is how the ACC got 10 bowl bids. The freakin' ACC. :| What confounds me (and again, I haven't gone back to look at the matchups) is the Punk10 going 5 and 0 :\

**BREAK***

I can't keep saying "I haven't looked at the Punk10 bowls"...so here we go

OSU 3 - PITT 0
... barf.

Ore 42 - Okie St 31
... lurve muh ducks, but again, a reflection of overated OSU or not? I'll call this one a push.

CAL 24 - MIA 17
...CAL, at home (essentially), by 7, over the ACC's #7 or #8 team, who travelled perhaps the farthest of any college team for a bowl this season. Professor grades this one a fail.

AZ 31 - BYU 21
Um....if I still buy into BYU being a power, after they lost to two very good teams (TCU and UTAH)...which I kinda do....then I'll give them partial credit for this win.

USC 38 - PSU 24
I'm impressed by USC...but with PSU, not so much. Still, I'll give full credit on this one (despite the home game for USC).

Bottom line, I see 1.5, maybe 2, quality wins for the Punk10 coming out of this bowl season. 5 and 0? Not in my mind. They got better matchups, IMO.

exactly as I was saying when I saw that they went 5-0. it would be "hella" (to use a Pac-10 reference) easy for any Big Ten team to stompy Cal, or OSU, or Oregon.

it almost appears as if the media wants you to think that the Pac-10 is good and the Big 10 is bad, by way they set up the schedules.

Is it Thursday yet????

scaleImage

scaleImage

went to the capital one bowl to support my dawgs.

was so glad (and surprised) during that second half. i thought they'd win, but i didn't think it'd be by much. i wonder how stafford will fare in the future (pro...).

always good times going with a huge UF alum too. he was pulling for any sec team he said.

looking forward to thursday's game. never been a big a gator fan (see above), but gotta pull for sec.

i'm ready for football to be over so i can focus on the magic, though. :D

wow Ohio State looked far more physical than Texas. it was refreshing to watch the Buckeyes push them around. nobody seemed to care about the Fiesta Bowl in the first half, save for Beanie Wells, who easily tore up pluss 100 yards on that soft Texas secondary (but Texas did have a pretty good D-line).

then they took Beanie out for almost all of the second half? wtf. seems like he is just ready to go pro, like most players here at Ohio State.

Actually Beanie hurt his ankle late in the first half or early second....I think he tried to play thru but he wasnt much of a factor the rest of the game....

Mad props to Terrel Pryor....Great come back....If he gets his passing game down look out for the next Vince Young

Then again, I watched UGA stomp LSU, then lose to GT, then watched LSU stomp GT....logic does not apply when you look at UGA.

LSU finally found a serviceable mistake free QB....It took them all the way down to the 3rd string True Fresh but glimers of the old LSU showed up....Npt to say the UGA - LSU outcome woulda been diff but it makes a big diff when your QB isnt throwing a pick 6 every game

Last edited: