• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2008-09 NCAA football thread!

My vote would be Colt as well, but I think Sam has a better shot at it primarily based on being of similar stats and actually making it to (and winning) the conference championship whilst making it to the NC. If TX has got that nod, I'd say Colt would have it hands down. Part of me is with you, however, that Tebow might win it. Do I think he deserves it? I can't say for sure. He's been everything you'd ever want in 'the best college player', and the question of Big12 defense casts doubt upon Colt and Sam....plus they may split votes :\ So, yeah, TT could win it (again)...but I can't say he absolutely deserves it (as I mentioned, my vote would be for Colt).

Funny (odd) thing is whether Tebow wins it or not, I think he may have a very good shot of winning it next year - I assume (strongly) that he's not going pro. Now, with losing his OC and QB coach....I dunno what's in the future.

Heh...reading the Gator fan forums (freakin' idjits, honstly) regarding if Dan Mullen will coach the offense. Signs point to our receivers coach Gonzales as the best choice:
Originally posted by UtahCoach:

Originally posted by OPGator:
So if it's Mullen's playbook but he's gone and Gonzalez will be calling the plays who do we whine about when we don't score on every possession?

The answer is easy RON ZOOK

:p

Oi, and a little more Tebowfun

dilbert-tebow.jpg

OU fan site having a poke-fun-at-Tebow thread...not bad, actually. Such as
Tim Tebow... said:
was just informed by Jesus to not feel sorry for Texas

Splenda sales are up because Tim Tebow has no Equal.

...was the inspiration for the light saber.

can actually see the yellow first down line on the field.....and when he dives for it, his elbows fertilize the grass

... was crucified by Ole Miss, but rose again to save all of Florida from eternal non-Spurrier purgatory.

...ends Somali pirate situations using a sideways glance.

... has a gospel according to him, which states that jorts make baby Tebow cry.

...surprisingly doesn't look Filipino.

If Tim Tebow is late, time better slow the f*ck down.

... decided to stay in Florida for football because the swampy atmosphere allows him to practice walking on water

...even duct tapes His guinea pigs so they dont explode when He fux'em!

is actually the offspring of brett favre and michael vick.

so is that girl with the freakishly big tits really his girlfriend? And does it bother you that he looks like eddie minster? Can all gator fans now quote PHIL 4:13? The nation wants to know?

No, she's not his gf....besides he wouldn't know what to do with them. I'm sure he's waiting until he's married before he'll even touch himself.

In other fill_the_in_between_days news.....here's a few links to occupy my SEC bretheren (and our haters):

popcrunch's hottest student bodies - uf version, so they say...but as it's pointed out in the comments the girls are showing up in FSU and Miami sections as well...

poon of the sec - hopefully a little more integrity in terms of actual students....but worth checking out nonetheless.

Does this still count as 'S&G Material'?

3 whopping days since the last reply in this thread, and it was by me :\

/stands-up
Hi, I'm TLB and I'm a NCAAF junkie
/waves-to-all

I'm doing my best not to hog up this thread, so I'm scrounging for anything to raise the discussion here. Hell, I've churned thought the blogs on ESPN for the other conferences looking for topics to bring up. I mean, there's been no real buzz about any of the bowl games, and even the awards ceremonies haven't been brought up regarding even the Heisman. I mean, there's some media noise trying to misconstrue Tebow's comments, but overall .... crickets :\

Looks like the Pac10 is pretty much stuck with 2nd tier bowl games other than the champ going to the BCS:

To be fair, the league has improved its bowl lineup in recent years with the creation of, and partnerships with, the Emerald and Poinsettia bowls. And seven tie-ins for a 10-team league is perfectly respectable.

But there’s still a big hole: The lack of a second January bowl to accompany the Rose.

There have been discussions in the past about moving the Holiday, but bowl and conferences officials ultimately decided that would be counterproductive.

Their reasoning: If the Holiday were to move to Jan. 1, it would have to start at 10 or 11 a.m. to finish before the start of the Rose Bowl. At that time of day, it would be competing with a handful of Florida bowls. But by staying on Dec. 27, the Holiday has a broadcast window all to itself.

“I hear the Jan. 1 thing frequently,’ Muldoon said, “and it’s so 1970s.”

The current Pac-10 bowl lineup will remain in place for several more years. When the league renegotiates its contracts, it might try to cut a deal with the Alamo Bowl.

It sounds great for the Pac-10: a fun city (San Antonio) in a nice facility (Alamodome) against a major conference (Big 12).

The only question is, would the Alamo want the Pac-10?

There is a basic part of this - Pac10 fans don't have the attraction to travel to TX or FL for bowl games, so why invite them? It's equally obvious that the Big10+1 and other teams in the North and MW are excited by the opportunity to get some fun'n'sun over new years. That is, except for OSU fans (historically some of the best travelled fans):

Buckeye fan Janice Paudicz has been to three bowl games in Phoenix, including the national-title games in January 2007 and January 2003.

She won't be in Arizona, however, when No. 10 Ohio State plays No. 3 Texas.

"When they announced (the destination), my husband and I just looked at each other. It was, 'Do you want to go there again? No, I don't, either.'

What's more, he added, OSU's blowout losses in recent bowl games -- to Louisiana State last season and Florida the season before -- could be giving fans pause.

"Some customers said they just don't want to pay to see the Buckeyes get killed again."

Still another drawback, Matthews said, is timing: Jan. 5 is the Monday after the end of the traditional Christmas school holiday.

You can point to Buckeye fans being 'spoiled' or 'burned out', and you can point to the economy if you wish. Hell, you could even point to the 'school schedule', but I doubt that holds water because they've had no trouble travelling those days the past 2 yrs :\ But the fans are down in general, it appears. And does it really feel that OSU's recent losses have soured the image of the Big10+1? Does it really feel (to people outside that region) that PSU suffered in the polls because of the conference image? Hell, they got a lot of bowl invites, and while they are pegged as underdogs in a lot of them they at least got there - several of them being Jan 1 games.

Heh, any thoughts on the recent coaching changes, like ISU losing their coach to Auburn:

Congrats to Gene Chizik for landing the Auburn job. Never has a five-win resume and a 10-game losing streak spread over two college seasons been so well-received. Love Chizik

Good times ahead for AU, indeed. Another morsel to kick about from that same link:

You think Texas is going to tear up Ohio State? Still not sure here. Depends entirely on whether the Buckeyes want to be in Arizona yet again. I do think Will Muschamp will put the clamps on Terrelle Pryor, who ranks 95th nationally in total offense. Over/under for Pryor completions should be about 10. Or fewer.

Yeah, that writer is based in TX, but do you think this Big12 'all offense, no defense' conference representative in this matchup will be able to shut down the freshman? Or will he still slide and glide his way to a win? I still feel OSU is way overmatched in this game. And while the hack on the Big12 is their defense, I still see TX having a solid one to put up against OSU. Here's a question - OSU failed against UF's spread'n'shred, failed against LSU's riverboat gambler....are they going to be able to even stay on the field with the high powered offense they will face? It's not your Big10+1 game of 3yds and a cloud of dust, this is a REAL offense. Can the OSU defense live up to the game, and actually get any sacks on this QB?

Speaking of Big10+1 matchups...any thoughts on MSU vs UGA? All the writeups are on the 2 running backs, and rightfully so - but nobody says much about MSU's defense....should they? Or is it not really much to talk about? There's some thought of Ringer wanting to go out on a big win (he mentioned something like 3 TDs, 200 yds rushing, 25+ carries)....but then there is the question of UGA's defense being decent and good enough to keep him in check...if they show up. No real talk on what Knowshon will hope to do, or any even whiff of comment about MSU's chances of shutting down Stafford or Moreno :\

Let's take the other Big10+1 team of PSU and their matchup with USC. All I can find in the news is stuff about Pete Carroll's recent interview on CBS with 60 minutes (didn't catch it) and Joe Pa trying like hell to get back on the sidelines. There was a blurb about the backup QB for PSU transferring, and Joe Pa essentially telling him 'leave now, you will be a distraction' ... so does that help or hurt PSU at all. I mean, there is still a game to be played....you know, the "Grandaddy of them All?" Or has it lost it's luster after it's teams had to settle for the :gasp: Rose Bowl, instead of the NC? Does this mark the beginning of the end for the old fart ... I mean, Grandaddy ... such that it will finally let go of it's roadblock on moving towards a more playoff like system?

So, how about it? Pac10 bowl woes? Big10+1 chances in bowl matchups? Any comment on how there was a struggle to get enough teams to qualify for bowl games, and overall we're left with a real 'eehhhhh' feeling about this season? Is it a reflection of the economy, or of a sub-par NCAAF season? I mean, yeah, we don't get any games until this weekend, and even then we're watching crap bowls for awhile, but we can still talk right? Or is it me? My breath? My deodorant? C'mon, talk to me. Please! Hell, I'll even go with faris' link on a pick'em. We've got time to have a competition for a custom title or just a pick'em for the helluvit. Anyone? Buehler? .... Buehler???

college football is simply losing its luster, and this is coming from ANOTHER College Town, USA (just like Gainesville and Athens). people don't want to sit through another bullshit BCS program. hell, even the Heisman reeked of bullshit. with a stunning basketball season and an exciting pro football season, where EVERYTHING is decided on the court or field - why watch college football? the only reason people haven't entirely given up on it is because of some redneck allegiance to whatever school they went or lived by.

if it was a professional sports market, it would have died out years and years ago.

I am not saying this because I am a bitter Buckeyes fan. hell, we are doing ok. Terrelle Pryor and Beanie Wells can compete against any defense in the nation, and especially whatever defense Texas slops together. do I want to see another Fiesta Bowl? honestly, I don't really care. oh great, another Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. why would by fellow Buckeye fans want to travel to Arizona to see ANOTHER Fiesta Bowl, when we have already won the Fiesta Bowl game numerous times.

the Fiesta Bowl doesn't even matter to a Big 10 fan - anymore. sure, there still is some sort of hard-on for the Rose Bowl due to tradition, and of course the National Championship. but I stand and say that all other bowls do not matter.

I am a Buckeye fan and I am for a playoff system. while I don't think we would win it this year, our improving defense and our spectacular offense would definitely chalk up a couple wins.

oh well, at least I get to watch the Celtics, Cavs, and Lakers play basketball with a poetic disposition and watch what should be the greatest NFL playoffs in many years (due to most of the often powerful teams losing power).

DeMarco Murray out for the national championship. Ouch, good luck. OU. Missing the guy with the 3rd most all-purpose yards in the nation is definitely a loss.

^^
hey everybody, check out the scapegoat for the boomer sooner meltdown that's coming.

we have all heard of East Coast bias, trumpeted by Southern and West Coast sports fans all day, end day. what is interesting about the college football bowl season is that this traditional bias is reversed - making it decisively more difficult for teams from the East, Northeast, and Midwest to travel to bowl games.

check out the bowl locations, most of them are located below the Mason-Dixon line and west of Texas. the University of Southern California (and UCLA for that matter) all play in front of, essentially, a home crowd in the Rose Bowl. last year in the National Championship game it was held in Louisiana and just an hour down the road from Louisiana State University.

I am lucky to be a fan of a team that travels well, and perhaps the best and the most in college football history - concerning that every bowl game we go to are halfway across the United States. however, fans of other teams are far less fortunate.

factor in also these tough economic times. what Spartan fan from Michigan State wants to travel down South to see them face off against the University of Georgia? to what college kid is the economically feasible? not many.

having the most of your fans in attendance makes no such of a large impact as it does in college football, where the hysteria of a home crowd can electrify a team. no sport in the history of American sports relies so much on momentum from the crowd, with a close argument coming from college basketball.

god jim, the bullshit detector's needle just snapped off.

college football is simply losing its luster, and this is coming from ANOTHER College Town, USA (just like Gainesville and Athens). people don't want to sit through another bullshit BCS program. hell, even the Heisman reeked of bullshit. with a stunning basketball season and an exciting pro football season, where EVERYTHING is decided on the court or field - why watch college football? the only reason people haven't entirely given up on it is because of some redneck allegiance to whatever school they went or lived by.

if it was a professional sports market, it would have died out years and years ago.

Ya, well its not a professional sport. It relies much more on people who attended the college, a demographic that has much less to do with the structure of the league than pro sports fans. I hate the BCS as much as the next guy (moreso, I'd venture) but I'm not about to start crowing about how my favorite sport is tits up in the water.

Terrelle Pryor and Beanie Wells can compete against any defense in the nation, and especially whatever defense Texas slops together. do I want to see another Fiesta Bowl? honestly, I don't really care. oh great, another Fiesta Bowl in Arizona. why would by fellow Buckeye fans want to travel to Arizona to see ANOTHER Fiesta Bowl, when we have already won the Fiesta Bowl game numerous times.

Texas is going to jock you guys fucking hard. Beanie and Pryor can compete anywhere, but they have folded against every above average team they've played. I can see the slow play in this comment. "Oh great another fiesta bow----> OSU fans wont show----->its a texas home game----->OSU gets shithoused because of crowd noise.

the Fiesta Bowl doesn't even matter to a Big 10 fan - anymore. sure, there still is some sort of hard-on for the Rose Bowl due to tradition, and of course the National Championship. but I stand and say that all other bowls do not matter.

personally, I've never really understood this affinity for particular bowls. I get pumped when the opponent is formidable, or, for a dawgs fan like me, when we're the teams selected to cut down some media darling's dreams like we did last year to hawaii. No, of course there's nothing to get excited about at the fiesta bowl. Its put on by a crappy chip maker. Focus on the football. Its going to be a good game.

we have all heard of East Coast bias, trumpeted by Southern and West Coast sports fans all day, end day. what is interesting about the college football bowl season is that this traditional bias is reversed - making it decisively more difficult for teams from the East, Northeast, and Midwest to travel to bowl games.

you can leave us SECers out of that. That is a PAC-10 arguement exclusively these days.

check out the bowl locations, most of them are located below the Mason-Dixon line and west of Texas. the University of Southern California (and UCLA for that matter) all play in front of, essentially, a home crowd in the Rose Bowl. last year in the National Championship game it was held in Louisiana and just an hour down the road from Louisiana State University.

Come on dude. You know damn well why bowl season is played in the south and southwest. It has something to do with you people driving down here to wear short sleeves and flip flops for a weekend. ;) If you want a game at the horseshoe, make your climate habitable in january.

factor in also these tough economic times. what Spartan fan from Michigan State wants to travel down South to see them face off against the University of Georgia? to what college kid is the economically feasible? not many.

Lets blame two boring teams, and not the economy. College kids are notoriously innovative when it comes to shit like this.

having the most of your fans in attendance makes no such of a large impact as it does in college football, where the hysteria of a home crowd can electrify a team. no sport in the history of American sports relies so much on momentum from the crowd, with a close argument coming from college basketball.

Does this mean we can discount all of OSU's home wins? ;)

looks like another marquee player for Oklahoma is injured. Florida is sooo lucky. another National Championship, another injured star player. I doubt they could finish so well if they played a whole, healthy roster (cough Ted Ginn cough) ;)

yes, ted ginn... who got sidelined by celebrating with his teammates. OSU=marshmellows.

pb...always lookin' for the easy ones ;)

= = = == = =

Going to a bowl game? Make sure to get your free gifts!

CUTTING EDGE:
This looks like something straight out of Star Trek. Colt McCoy and Terrelle Pryor can go incognito with the Fiesta Bowl's Myvu Personal Media Viewer. Yeah, go ahead and Google that one.
story

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS:
Where else can you get a three-by-four-inch commemorative belt buckle with a Texas Bowl logo on it?

HOTTEST GIFT:
What's hotter than the hair dryer? "These aren't the low-end hair dryers, either," Hilburn said. "These are those ionic hair dryers, whatever that means." Hey, if you don't like the look, the Sun Bowl has a nice cap to cover it with.

There are more at the link.

= = = = == = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I'm not buying that OU will be all that hurt by their injuries (pun intended?). I'm sure, given this amount of time, they can gameplan around it. I just need the freakin' game to get here....but I'm worried about the following 8 months until football starts back up again ... what's a dork to do?

Until then, Sooner fan site has a funny thread going about "Florida's players are so fast..."

...Lee Corso will be saying the week leading up to the game, "Not so FLORIDA, my friend!"

Florida's so fast they can win a game of Connect Four in three moves.

They turn off the light switch and are in bed before the room gets dark.

... they finished reading your post before you hit "Submit New Thread".

...they made the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs

...that when they finish a game they go home and watch themselves live.

... all buildings in Gainesville are required to tape their windows before games...

... they hear the Roadrunner's second *beep* when they lap him...

...meteors stop in the stratoshere and say "nevermind"

... Dr. Who copied the Tardis design from their playbook....

... Scotty laughed when Kirk asked if warp speed Harvin was possible....

...they corrected Han Solo's calculations so that they didn't jump into a super nova or an asteroid field which would have ended their trip real quick...

And, of course, the weak UF return thread of "Boomer Sooner's offense is so good...."

The Sooners can score so fast they have already scored 2 touchdowns!

UO only get 4 points for touchdowns to make it fair for eveyone else.

Simms yells Boomer and they score again before anyone can respond with Sooner.

...they have gone through 5 kickers this year all suffering from dead leg from kicking too much between extra points and kickoffs.

...that "offense" has now been replaced with Oklahoma Sooners. Now the Gators "oklahoma sooners" will score 40+ on the Sooners.

...they have decided to outdo USC and spot the Gators all 6 time outs, while still giving the Gators their choice of uniforms!

... that on January 8th Bradford will be in Sri Lanka helping feed homeless orphans, but will phone in 8 touchdowns.

...if they cross the 50 the opposing team lets them pick up the ball, like in golf.

OU's offense is so good they only huddle to decide which end zone celebration to call.

The offense is so good, it just has to be fattening.

looks like another marquee player for Oklahoma is injured. Florida is sooo lucky. another National Championship, another injured star player. I doubt they could finish so well if they played a whole, healthy roster (cough Ted Ginn cough) ;)

Yes but Florida reached the NC without Harvin

and BYU is getting beat by Arizona, a fairly mediocre PAC-10 team. it is funny how all the BYU fans wanted them in a BCS game, eh?

cough Utah cough

Playoffs? Why not brackets? Even better....hottest chearleader brackets?

Prep Ticket Best College Cheerleaders Battle (will prompt for a zip code, then you can see all the teams and find the hottest ones to vote thru the brackets. Actually found this on a Semenhole forum board, where they were bitching about how UF gets easy matchups again. 8(