• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2008-09 NCAA football thread!

axl blaze

Bluelighter
the time of reckoning is upon us fellow college football junkies. I hope you have tied your veins off because the time we get our fix is tomorrow. I have been waiting too long for this season to be anything but the greatest college football season ever.

does anybody have tickets to go see their favorite college team tomorrow afternoon? I just scored a couple Ohio State Buckeyes tix so I am pumped. I am already marinating the chicken breast and I have already filled up my cooler full of beer. Columbus truly comes alive as a city and unites under the banner of the Buckeyes. fuck a professional football team we have turned our noses away for years and we aren't going to turn now.

what is the game of the week? I would most def. say #18 Tennessee VS UCLA. any thoughts or predictions on this one?

also who are some Heisman trophy hopefuls? I see Tim Tebow, Chase Daniel, and Chris "Beanie" Wells all giving the trophy a good battle this year.

O-H!

I-O! :)

so the U (miami) fucking wrecked shop yesterday.

i'm pretty happy it's college football time! and the NFL starts in less than a week. then in less than a month from that... hockey season starts!!!

=D

game of the week is probably BAMA vs. Clemson. UCLA's program is (in my estimation) still the same hot mess it was last season, Tennessee should win handily.

BAMA Clemson should be an interesting match (for me) mostly because of how much Saban's career is riding on a pace of continued improvements with the program. Dropping this game will say alot.

I have purchased the UGA game for tomorrow, and will be properly attired. Death to all buckeyes.

the OSU home opener was off the hook. I ate jambalaya and crawfish to weather my hangover, then got drunk again. Ohio Stadium is as beautiful as I last remembered. Terrelle Pryror did amazing in his first taste of college QB action.

026-1.jpg

and

027-1.jpg

dude... that must have been fuuuuunnnn!!!!! OSU dominated this game. :D

We Gamecocks got off to a slow start but soundly whooped up on NC State 34-0. Our defense is sick nasty and ready for the SEC. The receivers were getting open a lot, but they didn't catch too many until we had a QB change in the second half. We have a QB named Smelley and a RB named Rank. Mike Davis was outstanding as our #1 back. Just don't go breaking into any more lockers, we need you MD.

I am so glad that Bama beat the shit out of Clemson, my school's hated rival. Clemson was once again overrated in the preseason at #9. I'm sure they'll still end up better in the polls that South Carolina for some stupid fucking reason.

I wonder how many dicks Tommy Bowden had too suck to get ranked that high. What sucks for him is not only did he choke on penis, but his team choked hardcore in the season opener. Bama has so many freshmen playing, too. I can't wait until Jasper Brinkley & Co. get to fuck up some Clemson Tigers. I hope my team stays healthy, b/c Clemson has an ACC powderpuff schedule the whole year while we play SEC powerhouses.

Prediction:
Tennessee 27
UCLA 7

LOL @ Michigan getting pissed on by Utah!

Who? Utah?

Ha ha ha ha ha!!

If Utah gave them a sore asshole, I can't imagine the polishing Notre Dame, Illinios, and Penn State is going to give them.

had high hopes that app state would have again the best upset of the season, but so much for aspirations. =D

^ you were the ONLY one with those high hopes. :D

last year against michigan was bad enough, but i don't think i know anyone who thought they would come anywhere near a repeat against LSU.

i was pretty happy to see michigan lose too, BA. :D

honestly dudes I was kind of rooting for them. I know you are going to call for my balls on a scarlet and grey colored platter, but hear me out. I want Michigan to win most of every game, except against Ohio State where I want them to get decimated. it only makes us look better, and since college football is a beauty pageant and not a playoff system - looking better is all that matters. sure, I enjoyed the fuck out of their App. State loss last year, and I even bought an App State tee shirt like any self-respecting OSU fan, but now it just looks embarassing. their two quarterbacks could not muster two passes in a row, let alone a *GASP* drive.

good game b/t tennessee and UCLA right now!

LOL Tennessee...

Fact said:
Since the beginning of the BCS Era in 1998, the Pac-10 is 10-6 against the SEC and 6-2 in games played on the West Coast.

Having awesome coaches RULES!!!

Mad love to Rick, Norm, and Dwayne...

Go! Fight! Win! BRUINS!

You're not trying to actually convince anyone that that rag tag group of nancy boys (PAC 10) is better than the SEC, are ya?

Tenn-UCLA was a fluke! There's no Krispy Kreme Donuts over there in Cali and that's all Fulmer could think about

Actually, there is krispy kreme out in these parts...

And that "rag tag of nancy boys" just beat an upper-tier SEC team with a 3rd string QB and 3 senior offensive starters out of the game...also consider UCLA was picked to finish in the bottom half of the Pac-10 this year...

This is what can happen when SEC teams actually take a chance in their non-conference rather than pad it with pushovers...Georgia may find out themselves in the coming weeks. I don't think they've made as far a trip to play a game like they're doing by going to Tempe in forever...can any Georgia fan tell me when the last time was?

But please SEC fans...keep telling the rest of the world how great you are, how you are the best. No other fans are more self-glorifying. ;)

LapDawg said:
And that "rag tag of nancy boys" just beat an upper-tier SEC team with a 3rd string QB and 3 senior offensive starters out of the game...also consider UCLA was picked to finish in the bottom half of the Pac-10 this year...

...Georgia may find out themselves in the coming weeks...

But please SEC fans...keep telling the rest of the world how great you are, how you are the best. No other fans are more self-glorifying. ;)

As much as I want to point to TN somewhere around 3rd in the SEC Eastern division, the fact remains they are always in the top half, and generally in the top third of the conference overall, so I have to give you that point. I would certainly agree they are generally higher in their conference than UCLA is in the PAC-10. Honestly, I didn't realize UCLA was picked to finish that low in their conference, I figured they were in for another finish around 2-4 in the PAC-10. I will, give my quick assessment of the game:

First half - UCLA sucks, and TN is mediocre.....wait, UCLA is out 2 senior starters....now they lost another? And they are running on a 3rd string QB? Well, then they are holding their own fairly well and TN is sliding downward from that mediocre label.

Second half - WTF is Fulmer doing to his kicker with 3 FAGs of 50+ yds? Holy crap, UCLA is coming alive!! TN is folding. C'mon TN, keep some SEC respect out there for us....aw shit, just fell behind. OKAY, made the kick to go to overtime......and now lost it. 27-24 is an appropriate score, and I hope the east coast voters didn't fall asleep at half time, UCLA deserves some respect and TN proves again it's starting off over-rated. **I'm still pointing to UCLA to finish top 4 in the PAC-10 ;)

And I doubt UGA has travelled like this, I think it kinda stands to fact that SEC hasn't been doing much out of conference, but it's a start. Hell, UF is playing the MW champ to open the season ;) Still, I'd nod to the PAC-10 as doing the best effort of scheduling out of conference for serious. You've got ORE and CAL last season, USC on a regular basis (see OSU and TX), and UCLA and OregSt this season playing someone of merit. I'd probably have to nod to the Big11, reluctantly, as second best at this effort (see MI....well, screwing up against non-merit teams like AppyState and UT kinda demerits them, but still, they try...hehe) - see OSU (regularly, to offset in-state cupcakes), ILL (hey Mizzou!), etc. But perhaps SEC does earn a nudge as a close 3rd considering last years LSU (VT?), this year's ALA (CLEM?), UGA (ASU), TN (CAL, now UCLA), AUB (WVU), ...I'm not even going to pretend UF-HI should be mentioned :| Seriously, though, look at the conferences this year, over the past few years, and aside from the undisputed conference kings (USC, OSU) needing to prop up their percieved weak schedules, whom do you see as a conference really stepping up and stepping out?

"No other fans are more self-glorifying. ;)" .... Please see OH-IO :| But I'll add the comment the buck-nuts would - we are so high on our teams because they perform, year in and year out, the conference remains atop the consideration for 'toughest', so I think that 'glory' is somewhat earned.

= = == = =

Other random thoughts for the weekend....

OSU pumped about beating YSU? Yawn :| Keep that hype for the next cupcake ;) I do hope Wells is okay, however. As much Suck-Eye bashing as I do, the kid is your main horse and deserves a solid season of losing games, not providing an excuse from the sideline :eek: :p (Side note, anyone catch that sad story about the YSU player finally getting his wife pregnant then dying two days later? WTF?)

PSU over CCU....um, yeah. I'm in central PA now (about 2 hrs from Slap-Happy-Pappy Valley) where they dedicate a section of the Sunday paper to the team's game, and even the fans are bemoaning the pummeling of a school that wasn't even playing a few years ago 8). Way to tie St. Bobby's record 8( I think I'm about to throw up if those two old farts don't freakin' retire soon.

UF over Hawi'i? See, OSU over YSU....Yawn. At least now we get to eat some Hurricanes. I've been wanting this since I was a little kid and will shit all over some kids 3 yr old b-day party if anyone bitches about me slipping out to watch the game. Poor planning on their part.

VT - ECU? The quote that rings in my ears was the announcer saying "Out Beamer-Balled" :D

ALA - CLEM? SEC pride had me rooting for Saban, even though I expect him to leave the team in probation in a few short years. Still, CLEM....picked pre-season ACC 'team to beat' .... um, yeah, that conference will be teh suck for another year 8)

PITT- BGSU? Nobody cares, but seriously? LmuhMoFoAO =D

= = = = == = = =

Looking ahead to the coming weekend:

Oregon State at No. 22 Penn State - can't tell who I'd want to root for, or against....

Mississippi at No. 23 Wake Forest - same....whilst I wanna pull for SEC, I'm having trouble believing they can do it

San Diego State at Notre Dame - please, please, please, please....let's start off with 0-1 and go down from there :)

Miami (FL) at No. 5 Florida - ;)

Bleh....overall a not-so-exciting weekend this go'round.

I love Phillip Fulmer because getting his ass whipped by the Big 10 and Pac 10 is one of the high points on his resume.

it's kinda ironic how he does pretty well in SEC and yet the SEC is allegedly the best football conference of all time.

axl blaze said:
it's kinda ironic how he does pretty well in SEC and yet the SEC is allegedly the best football conference of all time.

Conference record (rank overall in conf)
2007 - 6-2 (tied 1st)
2006 - 5-3 (5th)
2005 - 3-5 (8th)
2004 - 7-1 (2nd)
2003 - 6-2 (tied 3rd)
2002 - 5-3 (tied 4th)

he does pretty well? Looks like his teams are slightly above average :\ That kind of record puts him on par with Purdue within the Big11. Do you consider that 'doing pretty well'?

Funny, though, you're right that they keep propping Fulmer up on his overall record among active coaches.

TheLoveBandit said:
I'm still pointing to UCLA to finish top 4 in the PAC-10 ;)

Man I hope so! That would be another huge boost for the coaching trinity. Typically UCLA makes a splash in non-conf. but falls back to earth in Pac-10 play...and this year they have a LOT of tough road games...@ Oregon @ ASU @ Cal

And I agree with you TLB that the SEC finally started listening to the critics about how they pad their non-conference schedule with less-than exciting opponents and are starting to put better opponents in front of them, perhaps even taking chances. I wouldn't say all the teams are guilty of it. Tennessee has routinely taken on good teams outside of their conference and I've always respected them for that.

"No other fans are more self-glorifying. ;)" .... Please see OH-IO :| But I'll add the comment the buck-nuts would - we are so high on our teams because they perform, year in and year out, the conference remains atop the consideration for 'toughest', so I think that 'glory' is somewhat earned.

Hahah after I posted I did think of OSU fan...but that's just one team. They certainly don't (and can't) talk up their conference, whereas the SEC, every single team's fans talk about how ridiculously good their conference is and how tough it is...the same old tired record the rest of the country is sick of hearing. Well to SEC fan...Pac-10 fan says SCOREBOARD BABY! :D

honestly Ohio State fans just love their team unlike any other fans in the nation. the only fans that really resemble Buckeyes fans are Boston Red Sox fans in their undying love for the team. we know that our conference isn't what it used to be, and we severely fucked up the last two National Championship games (we underperformed and let a lesser Florida team won that year and last year we really SHOULD NOT have been in the title game [far too young]). but the thing is, it doesn't matter. the Buckeyes are the professional football team of the capital city of Columbus. there are always 105, 000 people in the stadium and probably 50, 000 outside of it immediately tailgating and another 30, 000 just walking around high street hopping the bars. I have been to many a professional sports game, talked to many a fan, but I am truly the most proud to say I am a Buckeye first and foremost.

I never mention that I like the Pittsburgh Steelers far more than OSU. that would get my ass kicked by a frat boy who has had one too many pink colored jello shots.

TheLoveBandit said:
he does pretty well? Looks like his teams are slightly above average :\ That kind of record puts him on par with Purdue within the Big11. Do you consider that 'doing pretty well'?

Funny, though, you're right that they keep propping Fulmer up on his overall record among active coaches.

semantics. to me "pretty well" is above average. I wouldn't quite put him on the level of Purdue. it is just strange how the media seems to glorify Phillip Fulmer and name drop him like some mediocre attention starved rapper on MTV. why do I even know his god damned name??

Games I watched this week:

Michigan vs. Utah
UGA vs. Georgia Southern
USC vs. Virginia
Florida vs. Hawaii
Missouri vs. Illinois (about 30 minutes of play, anyway)
LSU vs. App State
BAMA vs. Clemson
East Carolina vs. VT
UCLA vs. TENN

Best Game:
Probably UCLA vs. TENN for sheer watchability... probably BAMA vs. Clemson for seeing an SEC team upset a rival

UCLA vs. TENN:

I could see from early on in the game that TENN was weak. Craft threw how many interceptions in the first half (4?) and Tennessee failed to make them pay for it. TENN RBs seemed to eat up the yardage in the first half, too, with lots of 8+ yard carries. That all seemed to evaporate later on in the game. When Craft settled in, I was on the edge of my seat, hoping the Tennessee defense could hold it together. They couldn't-- not enough pressure on the QB, making it too easy for him to make some excellent tosses deep into the field. Lastly, this was easily the most physical football I saw this weekend. UCLA did not disappoint.

The OT was a heart-breaker. Missing an average kick... sucks, dude. UCLA clearly has a good coach and good coordinators now. I'd love to see them competitive in their conference, if for no other reason than to take some of Carroll's talent away (the bruins also sport one of my favorite uniforms ;))

For Tenn, and the SEC hater parade, what Can I say. I have a soft spot in my heart for the round, lovable Fullmer. I hate Rocky Top, but I don't mind the guy. I hope UT's program doesn't decline any more than it has over the past few seasons. Crompton looks promising.

BAMA vs. Clemson:

I stand by my game of the week statement. Fantastic football from Sabin from a team that has a proud history. The ACC still appears to be weak in front of a team that-- more often than not in recent years-- has been mentioned in the same breath as Mississippi state and Vandy, than in the company of Florida and LSU. I look forward to a bama vs. UGA.

USC vs. Virginia:

I know UVA is a BCS school and all, but this one was a snoozer. Trojan's QB looks solid, but this game ranks as a cupcake. I will be watching the OSU vs. USC game with great interest.

UF vs. Hawaii:

Florida does what it does best: hang excessive points on chumps. No repeat for Tebow on the heisman this year, though. He's going to have too many sound options for scoring. Key players are going to have to get injured of UGA is going to beat them... that, or they'll actually have to play good football for 4 quarters :\

LSU vs. APP state:

Any of you big ten/pac ten people who were expecting another Appy upset are retarded. LSU isn't going to get handed many losses this year. The Harvard boy behind the center looks remarkably poised and competent.

Michigan vs. Utah:

Hilarious loss. Utah is becoming one of my favorite teams to watch (along with ECU) and I really hope their program develops, rather than resurgences from teams where the headlines are already written (Nebraska, Clemson-- the exception being SMU). This year, there's only one team in the Big Ten that's worth half a shit, and only complete fuckheads like them. Michigan still goes to a bowl game this season though.

ECU vs. VT:

I fell in love with Skip Holtz's team last year. They are hungry and they play a decent schedule. Beamer Ball takes on a whole new meaning when you use it with a derisive tone. This is exactly the kind of game "powerhouse" teams like VT should be opening their seasons with, rather than Georgia southern, or youngstown.

UGA vs. Georgia Southern:

Not a game I would suggest anybody watch who isn't interested in seeing what Uga VII looks like. Aside from being worried about even more injuries, I was most worried about replacing our FG kicker with the golden toe. The new guy made one from 52 yards, so I'm temporarily satisfied. The Dawgs seem capable enough of winning against each team they play this year... but I have serious doubts about winning all, or even all but one of them. I also wish we were playing another BCS conference school this coming week, rather than suck-ass central michigan. The way things are at this moment, the dawgs could handle Michigan or Michigan state with as much effort. I can feel football in the slight chill of the air here, and my ass sure hurts from all the sitting its done, but my season doesnt really start until the UGA-south carolina game.

General thoughts:

I hope Beanie wells is out for the season just so I don't have to hear the name "beanie" any more than absolutely necessary. I feel like I'm browsing drug culture when I hear it.

USC deserves its current #1 ranking for playing a real opponent last Saturday. I know its about as pointless as wishing for a playoff system, but I really wish fans could make it unprofitable for a school to play one or two cupcakes at the start of every season.

UGA does/does not deserve to lose its #1 ranking for refusing to absolutely bury Georgia southern the way UF did to Hawaii. I haven't made up my mind, but I like seeing coaches playing freshmen in the second half, and I don;t really like watching any blowout.

UCLA and TENN (especially TENN, as they've gotten their asses handed to them twice by PAC ten teams) deserve props and attention for their scheduling. I don't know who the SEC is supposed to have an inter conference rivalry with (big east shows promise and is history, i guess), but nothing is better than seeing two teams that don't outright suck, and who don't see each other very often, go at it. The UGA-ASU game should be fun to watch even if we bury them for similar reasons. I would happily kiss a conference rivalry game goodbye, or the obligatory thrashing of Georgia Tech, or next week's cupcake to see UGA play a strong team from a distant land (I'm looking at you, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Cal, OSU, USC, Texas)

LD said:

This is what can happen when SEC teams actually take a chance in their non-conference rather than pad it with pushovers...Georgia may find out themselves in the coming weeks. I don't think they've made as far a trip to play a game like they're doing by going to Tempe in forever...can any Georgia fan tell me when the last time was?

UT vs. UCLA != UGA vs. ASU ;)

I can assure you that UGA is taking ASU as seriously as cancer of the penis. I'm expecting a slaughter, since UGA is treating it as their media debut this year-- but...
me said:
UCLA's program is (in my estimation) still the same hot mess it was last season, Tennessee should win handily.
I've been wrong before ;)

jim said:
honestly Ohio State fans just love their team unlike any other fans in the nation. the only fans that really resemble Buckeyes fans are Boston Red Sox fans in their undying love for the team

Wow, the two places you've lived. Coincidence? Maybe the Farely brothers will make a movie about living in Colombus, dressing like a douche on fall Saturdays, and call it Fuck Nuts. ;)

jim said:
semantics. to me "pretty well" is above average. I wouldn't quite put him on the level of Purdue. it is just strange how the media seems to glorify Phillip Fulmer and name drop him like some mediocre attention starved rapper on MTV. why do I even know his god damned name??

You know his name because he's a BCS championship winning coach that's been doing it for 15 years (at UT). Why the fuck should I know JoePa's name? Same reason. Moreover, I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary from the booth during the coverage of the UCLA/UT game.

regarding pretty well: Bowl records indicate that SEC teams last year did considerably better than Big Ten teams. Tenn squandered a lot of opportunities last Saturday, and last season, but it hardly follows that "pretty well" in the SEC means losing to Michigan and UCLA. UT is one of those places where not going to the conference championship is considered a bad year (whereas, at present, UGA is kinda used to it). Fullmer will get shit canned if he fails to produce. The culture and the talent is still there, we will see how it plays out.