Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The Netflix Mega-thread vs Netflix Originals Suck

Well, I saw this on my 'must watch' list, and decided to give it a shot.
If you had a troubled, yet nice life growing up, then this is a must see! I even teared up in the movie, which doesn't happen much at all.

Well, I saw this on my 'must watch' list, and decided to give it a shot.
If you had a troubled, yet nice life growing up, then this is a must see! I even teared up in the movie, which doesn't happen much at all.

I forgot this was coming on today! Can't wait to watch it. Good to know you liked it.

Netflix did that thing again where they took a slew of movies I wanted to watch off without notifying me at all so I never got to watch Moneyball nor Enemy at the Gates. I'm finding more and more that I want to cancel our subscription, I don't care much for many of their original series. But my wife doesn't care, she thinks I'm biased and won't let me cancel it... here's to hoping I can find some decent Netflix stuff to watch. Maybe I'll try Dark next.

Equinox looks promising. Might give it a shot. I really enjoyed the show 'Dark', and something about these foreign countries making a show really interest me when it's a psychological thriller.

I tried dark but found the dialogue really dense and difficult to keep up with the subtitles. And I just can't do English dubs over anything other than anime...takes me out of the story.

I tried dark but found the dialogue really dense and difficult to keep up with the subtitles. And I just can't do English dubs over anything other than anime...takes me out of the story.
It gets reallllyyy good. I was upset about that too, after season 1 had ended I wanted to know what happened next. They released the finale season I think a month or two back, and the grand-finale is well worth the watch. Equinox is like that, I think it's in Danish? Cool none the less.

Gonna copy my comment from elsewhere bc it has four shows on netflix (hunter x hunter , evangelion, and avatar and FMA)
Besides miyazaki moviesnwhich are accessible enough everyone already knows about them and doesnt need an introduction, heres my brief guide to anime I've seen so far:

Mushishi --show about a travelling healer type pwrson in a world in which protozoan spirits (sorta) called mushi cause many diseases. Sorta slow, subdued, and in the sense of animism and connection to nature is similar to miyazaki. I havent finished it but still recommend.

Akira: not going to review in detail bc it's so well known but a classic for a reason one of the best anime and also best cyberpunk movies animated or not animated.

Ghost in the shell (1995): same review as akira word for word, even if different plot.

Hunter X Hunter: this has replaced evangelion as my favorite anime of all time, and is one of if not the favorite tv shows of all time of mine.

Impossible to easily or succinctly describe or categorize but I have to because I want to evangelize about it. it is a very adult show while having some of the charm and innocence of a children's one. Its brutal, but also eclectic and funny. It takes a world that essentially a lot like ours and adds vitalism and a system of quasi magical aura but doesnt use it as a deus ex machina or simple plot armor--despite the "magic" aura stuff, life and combat and everything is still incredibly difficult and complex for these people that also live in an alternate modernity, complete with cell phones , money, the mafia , etc. Its a story about a boy's quest to become a hunter"", which is a profession that doesnt have an equivalent in our world but is sorta like a combat proficient but also detective skills imbued Jack of all trades that can focus on any specialties and use their license to gain access from anything from ancient ruins to jobs bodyguarding mafia members , and so on and so on. The boys quest is mainly to find his father who abandoned him to work as. a hunter.

But there are many other, fairly baroque plots.

It's also a story about his friends, and they come equipped with their own potent and complex backstories and needs/visions. Every aspect of the world building is valuable. There is really almost nothing extraneous to the story.
It's the most nietzschean anime I've ever seen and maybe the most Nietzschean film or television I've seen. It has lots of stuff about the importance of will, loyalty, friendship, and courage, but also lots of relatively amoral esotericism. And ultimately it makes an implicit argument that the bonds of love and friendship matter more than any universal ethics.
It has child assassin nobility, mad bodhisattva warrior-monks, and way way more. It manages to be both cerebral and good at action sequences.

Every character has depth too.

It takes a few episodes or even more to become fully emotionally invested, at first it may come across as overly bizarre or cerebral but it quickly gets u totally hooked and once ur hooked u won't care how cerebral it is u will just watch even if confused and love every moment of it.

Another way to describe it is I think that it's a lot like moby dick, has that kind of maximalism and tragic /huge scope

Okay I used up a lot of my time writing about hunter x hunter and it's lateso for the other anime just gonna give number ratings

Neon genesis evangelion 4/5, overall, but get the subbed version by torrenting , the Netflix dub sucks
The End of evangelion (4.5 or 5/5)

Fullmetal alchemist (3.5/5) I'm harsh, this is a pretty damn good show but 3.5 from my harsh perspective means damngood but with imperfections. (HxH would be a 5 tho )

Attack on titan (1.5/5) really not much to say, interestj f concept and maybe the manga is good, terrible execution.

Cowboy bebop (havent finished yet but so far a solid 3.5-4/5)

Avatar the last airbender (some may not count it as anime but I think it basically is american anime with similar themes as a lot of anime. So 4/5)
The legend of korra (atla sequel) 3.5/5

Reactions: Ds
Neon genesis evangelion 4/5, overall, but get the subbed version by torrenting , the Netflix dub sucks
The End of evangelion (4.5 or 5/5)
Netflix has the whole series in the original Japanese dub w/subtitles, at least in America. I just watched it last year.

Also did you mean to post this in the anime thread? Most of these films/shows aren't on Netflix.

Ghost in the shell (1995): same review as akira word for word, even if different plot.
This one is on Prime, but they only offer the English dub, no Japanese dub option :(

Also did you mean to post this in the anime thread? Most of these films/shows aren't on Netflix.
I think four of them were but point taken. And the most glowing reviewed one was. I truly love hunter x hunter and the first four seasons are on Netflix. So there you go
Netflix has the whole series in the original Japanese dub w/subtitles, at least in America. I just watched it last year.
I thought I remembered watching the Netflix version and them only having a bad dub but it could be my memory. Heard they changed some important plot things like editing kaworu shinji gay stuff out or something but idk.

Heard they changed some important plot things like editing kaworu shinji gay stuff out or something but idk.
I seem to remember there being a weird gay plot between Shinji and one of the Angels or whatever, when I watched it on Netflix. Not to give too much of the plot away but it seemed unedited to me.

Shinji's character was so annoying throughout, it was frustrating. The more I think about it the more I think I preferred End of Evangellion to the tv show ending because I hate Shinji so much.

"Disgusting."

Shinji's character was so annoying throughout, it was frustrating. The more I think about it the more I think I preferred End of Evangellion to the tv show ending because I hate Shinji so much.
Lol. I mean shinji is kinda a little bitch but to be fair, from a realism standpoint he is not only a child soldier doing dangerous work, he is also a teenager with a terrible father that is not supportive, really a double whammy. So yeah I find him a bit annoying as a protagonist but I like that on evangelion they aren't just making wish fulfillment characters they are all very flawed. I mean asuka has a total breakdown and is. abit of a stuck up brat ,

I mean asuka has a total breakdown and is. abit of a stuck up brat
Yeah but she has sex appeal so she didn't annoy me lol. I've seen some good cosplay outfits for her, obviously I'm not the only one.

Shinji's character was also created, he's not a real person. The director was depressed/self-involved and I think it ended up being expressed in the show via the self-absorbed character of Shinji. Only some weird mega-depressed person would come up with a post-apocalyptic future in which child-soldiers are the only hope for humanity. The Macros series made more sense and THAT was a kids show straight up. You can't make the argument that his circumstances justify his childish attitude; he's a cartoon character, they could have made him older like they did with the new releases, made him wiser than his years (i.e. Ender's Game, the kid in that book is like 8 and acts more mature), anything really except for being a whiny 13 year old who has a mental breakdown every episode.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion; however, the very presence of Shinji's character in the show almost ruined the whole thing. The depressing ass End of Evangelion was better because at least it ended with Asuka calling Shinji "disgusting" in regards to his perverted acts.

Yeah but she has sex appeal so she didn't annoy me lol. I've seen some good cosplay outfits for her, obviously I'm not the only one.

Shinji's character was also created, he's not a real person. The director was depressed/self-involved and I think it ended up being expressed in the show via the self-absorbed character of Shinji. Only some weird mega-depressed person would come up with a post-apocalyptic future in which child-soldiers are the only hope for humanity. The Macros series made more sense and THAT was a kids show straight up. You can't make the argument that his circumstances justify his childish attitude; he's a cartoon character, they could have made him older like they did with the new releases, made him wiser than his years (i.e. Ender's Game, the kid in that book is like 8 and acts more mature), anything really except for being a whiny 13 year old who has a mental breakdown every episode.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion; however, the very presence of Shinji's character in the show almost ruined the whole thing. The depressing ass End of Evangelion was better because at least it ended with Asuka calling Shinji "disgusting" in regards to his perverted acts.
No offense but shes only 14 bro I don't 5think we should talk about sex appeal.

You can't make the argument that his circumstances justify his childish attitude; he's a cartoon character, they could have made him older like they did with the new releases, made him wiser than his years (i.e. Ender's Game, the kid in that book is like 8 and acts more mature), anything really except for being a whiny 13 year old who has a mental breakdown every episode.
Well, circumstances effects on characters are still narrative restrictions which serve some purpose even if u can write around them. Like they could've made him more badass but the realism serves. a purpose. But anyway, if u want a show where the child soldiers are more badass and less whiney u should watch hunter x hunter lol. I've described it like that often lol (like evangelion but with more badass child soldiers)

No offense but shes only 14 bro I don't 5think we should talk about sex appeal.
1- it's a cartoon and they gave her a full post-pubescent body.

2- if she isn't there for sex appeal then I'm unsure why she was on the show at all. She's obviously Shinji's crush but she otherwise serves little purpose.

Been watching 'Inside the worlds toughest prisons'. I find it hilarious watching a guy from the UK spend a week or so in a dangerous prison in other countries. I am glad he does it though. I mean I would never really know what prison was like in the Philippine's if it weren't for this guy.

if she isn't there for sex appeal then I'm unsure why she was on the show at all. She's obviously Shinji's crush but she otherwise serves little purpose.
She has a fully fleshed out personality and is a good fighter. Shes a huge contrast with shinji personality wise. Active instead of passive. Aggressive and angry instead of depressed and set in her ways like shinji.

She has a fully fleshed out personality and is a good fighter. Shes a huge contrast with shinji personality wise. Active instead of passive. Aggressive and angry instead of depressed and set in her ways like shinji.
That's a good point, she's everything Shinji isn't. I suppose that's what held the show together for me. If it was a 100% Shinji pity fest I'd never have finished the show.

Watching 'Into the Wild'. I've heard good things about it, mainly from like the internet. Seen some commercials of it I think awhile back, and never had the chance to watch it.