• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the best wide receiver corp. in all of football?

I have, apparently you are all caught up in your Brady bromance, especially after the beating he put on Tebow last night, to recognize.
is that supposed to be insulting? that game just makes the claim that the steelers have the best wr corp and ben's an mvp candidate even more laughable than they were before...

alasdair

If I can find the show and transcript I will post it in here because I know you do not believe me.
don't bother. it's completely irrelevant. for what it's worth, i have no reason to disbelieve you at all. so you're wrong off the bat.

my thread was made in response to a claim in this thread: Official 2011 NFL Season Thread where he said "god damn, that Steelers WR corp looks like the best in the NFL ".

no mention of any espn analyst. this thread has nothing to do with whatever you heard on the radio. it has everything to do with axl's crazy claim (with which, i note, nobody here agrees). that's what i meant by "keep up". i have no idea what you're talking about but it doesn't matter.

look, i know it sucks to get beat up by tebow and watch 'the best wr corp in football' come up short against one of the poorer defenses in the league only, one week later, to watch a team you hate score 45 points against them and - even though you (plural) go on and on about their questionable defense - only give up a measly 10 points.

that must really suck for you but you lost and we won (by 5 touchdowns no less).

it's time for you to sit quietly and watch the remaining contenders battle for the superbowl. you'll get another chance next year.

i will give you props for sticking around in the thread unlike axl who ran away and hid :)

alasdair

this past weekend proves NYG has the best

and the core three are all under 25 years old

this past weekend proves NYG has the best

and the core three are all under 25 years old

They are definitely in the top 3. I was really happy to see all three of them having receptions against Green Bay. They haven't played in many games together this season (either Nicks or Mannigham were injured a lot) and when they have played together it seems like only 1 or 2 of them has receptions. I have no problem with that since it is likely that one of them is being double-teamed which opens up the field for the other two, but it's always good to see all three of them getting some receptions. You've gotta keep them all happy so none of them think of leaving.

I must say it is def the Giants after these past couple weeks. and im a cowboys fan :(

I must say it is def the Giants after these past couple weeks. and im a cowboys fan :(

And I had been saying that it is the Cowboys, and I'm a Giants fan. The Cowboys just happen to have the most un-clutch receiver in Romo, but Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, and Laurent Robinson are all solid receivers. Jason Witten is a great TE as well.

Eli Manning has been playing the best football of his career.

Wouldnt it be ironic if Eli ended up with more rings than his big brother?

I don't think it will happen though. I'm hoping the Niners get revenge for that NFC championship back in the 80's when the giants beat us at the stick in a dramatic finish to spoil our chance at a 3peat. Should be a great game though, the Giants are definitely the most well rounded team left, but beating the Niners at home is no easy feat.

^ And I'm hoping that the Giants get revenge for the 2002 NFC Wild Card loss to them. Also, I think that you were referring to the 1990 season.

I agree that Eli is playing really good football right now. One step away from a Manning playing in Indianapolis this year.

^ And I'm hoping that the Giants get revenge for the 2002 NFC Wild Card loss to them. Also, I think that you were referring to the 1990 season.

I agree that Eli is playing really good football right now. One step away from a Manning playing in Indianapolis this year.

That would be some irony.....Eli instead of Peyton playing in the Indy SB.

Kinda off topic, but IMO they 49ers are easily the best defense in the NFL. It seems like every play they are stripping the ball, or their safeties are jumping a route to make an interception. Their D-Line is league-class, often getting pressure with only 3 rushers which allows for their aggressive play in the secondary. When they bring 4 (Smith, Smith, Sopoaga, McDonald) they are a force. Their D-line also allows the LB tandem of Bowman an Willis to absolutely stifle the run. Really the only way they could significantly improve is by replacing Culliver with an elite cover corner.

They allowed 2 rushing TD's all season, and 1 100- yard rusher. By far the best run defense in NFL history.

Other teams in the conversation are the Texans, Ravens, Bears, Bengals and Steelers. Notice they are all playoff teams, or were serious contenders. The focus on the NFL these days seems to be on offense (and more specifically on the QB position, and rightly so, no position influences a teams success like a QB). However a defensive unit operating on a high level puts offenses in position to win games. As much as the 49ers have improved on offense this year, I would be kidding myself if i said a big factor in that wasn't their defensive play.

Last edited:
you forgot to mention they took 7 different runnings backs out of the game with injury

Kinda off topic, but IMO they 49ers are easily the best defense in the NFL

They're definitely one of the best but "easily" the best? I think you might be getting carried away with the glory of last weeks victory. Against the run, 49ers are clearly head and shoulders above everyone but against the pass? I dont believe they are anyway.

Brees completed 40 passes last week, had over 460 passing yards and 4 tds. Lucky for the Niners they have the Smith beasts, Brooks etc cos it couldve been a lot more. Sure there was lots of pressure on the QB but Saints had more sacks than the Niners. Any good defense would be pissed off about giving up 460 yards passing at home.

That said though, havent even mentioned Willis and Whitners bone crushing tackles. I love watching them. Its frenzied, frenetic, impressive smash mouth football. I wouldnt like to be a QB hanging onto the ball tonight.

^ Brees passed the ball 63 times and whenever Brees throws the ball 63 times he is gonna rack up yards no matter who he is playing. He also got picked twice. If you read my whole little rant I did mention that we need another top level cover corner, but other than that they were all playing lights out. What really gave the game away for us last night besides our lack of WR's was Kyle Williams turning the ball over twice in the redzone on kick returns. Would have held the Giants to ten points if it werent for that. Also should have had a pick on Eli if our DB's hadnt collided, injuring our #2 corner (whos replacement was eventually scored on). And I didn't like the "forward progress stopped, cant review the fumble that would have sealed the game for us" call.

Ravens might be almost equal, they did a great job vs the pats this week.

"If's" are for losers though, and this is the only time ill mention the "if's" in this forum. The Giants also got bad calls against them in the playoffs. They are a great team and I give them all the credit in the world for coming into our house and beating us.

Giants vs 49ers always seems to be an epic playoff match-up, this time was no different.

I have enjoyed watching the NFL immensely this year and I cant wait for the 2012 season.

Last edited:
Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Tony Gonzalez = best receiving corp. and there isnt even an argument against it.

no tight ends. sorry.
tight ends cannot be considered wide receivers

packers, saints, giants and even the patriots (without their two stud tight ends) have better wr corp than falcons.

alasdair