• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the best wide receiver corp. in all of football?

Add or takeaway the TE position....and hands down the Saints......add or takeaway the RB's.....the Saints....

One of the biggest knocks against Drew Brees for the MVP is the offense, from O-Line to RB's to WR's, are too good...

Add San Diego and Dallas to my original list.
dallas had only 198 yards fewer than the steelers but blew them away on touchdowns: 32 to 18.

san diego also just trailed pittsburgh (by 250 yards) but outscored them significantly on touchdowns: 24 to 18.

using the simple average in the first post, the cowboys come in 7th, the chargers tie the steelers for 9th.

alasdair

isaac bruce, a rookie torry holt, the speedster az-zahir hakim, and an aging white boy possession, i'll catch one TD all year and make it count ricky prorhl

that was the best WR corp of all time

and to hammer away at the homerism

if rams can resign brandon lloyd(doubt it, i see him following mcdaniels to new england) and draft justin blackmon, with amendola back in the slot, well i see that as a top five group in 2012

i should really stop making any sort of predictions though, last time i did, 2-14

when the Steelers go to Foxborough...
lol.

well, i think s&g has spoken. nobody agrees with you axl and your only response is to troll your own forum then go into hiding when your team loses.

verdict: the steelers don't have anywhere near the best wr corp. in football.

:)

alasdair

Dont you think you've rubbed enough salt in the wounds of Steelers fans for a while alasdair?

no.

alasdair

As a Steeler fan this incessant beating-of-dead-horse-on-a-message board over some broadcaster's hyperbolic claim that is very insignificant gives me a warm feeling inside because I know it comes from an envious place inside the gut of another team's fan. "Whatever" you say? Exactly. ;)

the irony of a steelers fan telling this to a patriots fan - especially in here - is obviously lost on you.

and it wasn't "some broadcaster" who made the claim. it was "some s&g moderator".

please drive through. your football season is over.

alasdair

i note that, in that opening section to which you linked, they say "opinions will take a back seat to a detailed metric review, with the numbers being the overriding determinant as to which player is better at each position."

seems that espn agrees that receiving statistics are the only meaningful objective measure.

i see no mention of the steelers on that front page :)

alasdair

What's funny is that I read it the other way around, and thought they were going by opinion, and saying metric review was taking the back seat. In any case, I'm not an insider so all I could read is the abstract.

i note that, in that opening section to which you linked, they say "opinions will take a back seat to a detailed metric review, with the numbers being the overriding determinant as to which player is better at each position."

seems that espn agrees that receiving statistics are the only meaningful objective measure.

i see no mention of the steelers on that front page :)

alasdair

I dont want to have the whole discussion over again, but I thought I made good points to counter the "stats are the only thing" argument. There are so many factors that determine the success of a receiver, more than any other position. Game situation, types of coverage, QB play, O-line play, team offensive mentality ect all play a factor. You can make an argument that that holds true for any position, but I think it is even more true for receivers because of the delicate line between success and failure that is inherent in any passing play. If you did a complete reshuffle of all the receivers in the league I think the trends of team success passing the ball would be close to the same because receiver skill isnt the biggest factor when it comes to racking up stats.

That is why I say the "eye test" is important when judging receiver skill. Their personal skill only becomes a factor when a catch-able ball is in the air, which happens much more for some guys than others.

Other positions are more easily judged by statistical results, because the game situation is not as big a determining factor for their success.

And ESPN caters to casual sports fans that don't really understand the complexities of team sports like footaball. The average sports fan just wants to see their team win, regardless of how well any specific unit on their team plays, in which case overall stat production is more important.

Last edited:
What's funny is that I read it the other way around, and thought they were going by opinion, and saying metric review was taking the back seat. In any case, I'm not an insider so all I could read is the abstract.
it's hard to fathom how you could read this "opinions will take a back seat to a detailed metric review, with the numbers being the overriding determinant as to which player is better at each position." and come to the conclusion you did.

anyway, "the best wr corp. in football" is done for the season - finishing strong with 1 wr receiving touchdown in their last 4 games - so this discussion is moot now :)

alasdair

like axl, i take the hatred towards the team i follow as a compliment to them. nobody hates shitty teams.

alasdair

the irony of a steelers fan telling this to a patriots fan - especially in here - is obviously lost on you.

and it wasn't "some broadcaster" who made the claim. it was "some s&g moderator".

please drive through. your football season is over.

alasdair

Oh FAIL, so FAIL alas.

I cannot remember which channel but I did hear one of the many talking heads say the same thing. I didnt even realize you made this thread in honor of axl. Quite the coincidence. ;)

If I can find the show and transcript I will post it in here because I know you do not believe me.

^ You are correct, I remember hearing the same thing from some analyst mid-season when Roflburgers was a pro bowl contender because he had one of the best 1/2 seasons of his career.

However its obvious that the steelers, indeed, do not have one of the best receiving corps in football, top 10 at best. So I don't really see how that is fail on the part of alasdair.