• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the best wide receiver corp. in all of football?

I think they kinda fall into the same description as the Packers that I posted earlier. It is the system that is good, and putting any average receiver on that team would yield similar results. Their tight end is really good though.

If Peyton was playing this year, I'm sure the Colts would be in this discussion too, which kinda proves my point about how the QB plays a big factor, and the stats aren't everything.

By the way, is anybody going to pick a WR corp that is not on their favorite team? ;)

By the way, is anybody going to pick a WR corp that is not on their favorite team? ;)

why should we, when this thread is about alasdair and jim hatefucking each other's teams? ;)

Saints best imho. i mean, Darren Sproles? San Diego loves giving up their best players for pennies on the dollar and sending them to New Orleans where they shine and get rings.. Besides Sproles, Jimmy Graham is amazing. Lance Moore. Robert Meachem. all those pretty mulatto boys.

No clue what nationality Graham is.

K said:
San Diego loves giving up their best players for pennies on the dollar and sending them to New Orleans where they shine and get rings

That's exactly what I was saying though.... Any receivers can be good in Green Bay or New Orleans right now. Anybody that can run fast, and has decent hands can shine on those teams, considering the QBs have any amount of time to throw the ball, they will throw the ball right into the receivers hands.

It's when you can send a receiver to a shitty team and they shine that you know they are good. Like Calvin Johnson for example. There is no doubt that he is a top WR since he was able to shine even when the Lions sucked. Now that they are good, he led most of the WR stats, and I think all of the NFC WR stats.

Add San Diego and Dallas to my original list.

And while we're picking our favorite teams.... the niners actually had a pretty decent receiving corps when Josh Morgan was healthy. Crabtree, Morgan and Davis (one of the best TE's in the league) is middle of the pack at worst. They just don't get the volume.

one thing is emerging as people add in their criteria - with the exception of axl's stubborn, yellow-and-gold tinted view there's little or no support for the claim that the steelers wr corp. is the best in football :)

alasdair

It must be playoff time because Steelers hate is everywhere on the Interwebz.
tt02.gif

Id say Falcons. Roddy, Julio, and then Gonzalez

I wouldnt even consider steelers as top 5 tbh

Last edited:
I wouldn't pick Green Bay's WR's as the best, because it is their system that has been the best. In the same way that they could have a back-up QB step in and the team not miss a beat, I think that a lot of WRs could step in and take the place of the current Packers receivers, and those replacements would have great stats as well. I still think that Jordy Nelson is a hell of a WR, but I think that a lot of average WRs could have stepped into that system, lined up in his position, and had a great year as well.
that seems little backwards to me - if the 'system' of receiving is so good that a second-rate quarterback could take the field without a misstep then, to me, that's an even bigger compliment to the wr corp. after all, what is 'the system'? it's just a set of ideas which is manifested in the players. i don't think you can give a receiving system credit without giving credit to the players themselves - they're the ones who spent time learning the system and practicing it endlessly so that they could make it look so easy on sunday when the play was called.
sure, i'd say - as i've shown - it depends on how you choose to measure it but, especially if you demand the removal of the contribution of tight ends, the patriots do not necessarily have the best corp. i'd say it's the saints, packers or lions.

alasdair

^The system involves players other than the WR though. The system needs a good QB, effective blocking for the QB, as well as the set of ideas you're talking about. A solid run game helps too (Saints).

that seems little backwards to me - if the 'system' of receiving is so good that a second-rate quarterback could take the field without a misstep then, to me, that's an even bigger compliment to the wr corp. after all, what is 'the system'? it's just a set of ideas which is manifested in the players. i don't think you can give a receiving system credit without giving credit to the players themselves - they're the ones who spent time learning the system and practicing it endlessly so that they could make it look so easy on sunday when the play was called.

19 Packers have scored touchdowns this year. A lot of credit goes to the offensive line on the team. Give most QBs the time to throw, and they will have success.

This whole 'system' thing also reminds me a little of your Patriots actually. The year that Brady got hurt, Cassell stepped in and looked the same as Brady. The style of play was very similar, and the season that they thought was over when the injury happened, turned out to be not so bad. Wes Welker hurt? Oh, that's fine. We have this guy Edelman that is like a replica of Welker, and he steps in and the team doesn't miss a beat.

Some teams are just built to win, and the actual players don't matter as much.

^ you seem to be saying - and i could be wrong, it's just how it comes across to me - that you can't isolate a specific position/function and compare that team to team. e.g. you can't say one o-line is better than any other o-line because the mobility and speed of the qb is also a factor.

so maybe you put me in jordy nelson's place and i score 15 touchdowns with 1200 yards? i just don't see it. the fact is that we don't know what would happen if we replaced nelson with somebody else in that system. we could discuss hypothetical situations like that - and it is enjoyable, don't get me wrong - but it's a distraction from a meaningful discussion of what actually is rather than what might be. you (plural) can dismiss stats as some pointless diversion but, again, the fact is it's the only meaningful standard for discussion and measurement of what's actually happening.

thanks for your considered responses.

alasdair

Jordy Nelson has been making plays with his athleticism and soft hands all year. Yes he benefits from being on a great team, but you have to give him credit. He may be white, and not the speediest guy ever, but he breaks tackles and gets into good position to make plays. He is one of the yards after catch and big play leaders in the league, and like others have said, targets are few and far between on the packers, yet he makes it happen when the ball is thrown his way.

Also, just cause I haven't seen him mentioned yet in the thread, how can we forget Steve Smith? He has exploded as an elite receiver this year with a rookie QB. Guy is well short of 6 foot but is a consummate playmaker. Much respect to him. Easily one of the best receivers (players?) in the league. If Carolina can get their hands on another elite receiver with a developing newton at the helm, they could be damn scary. The NFC south is shaping up to be quite the division.

^ I agree about Steve Smith. The Newton/ Smith matchup made me respect Carolina maybe a little more than I should have this season. That said, I think their defense is mainly what needs to improve for them to be a playoff team.

^ I reckon they'll be in the playoffs next season as a wildcard.

Jordy Nelson has been outstanding all season you cant devalue his skills like that and say any avg WR could make the same catches. Hes had a lot less receptions than the other 9 top ten guys too.

Chris Carter should be still busy wiping the egg off his boatrace after what he said about Megatron back in preseason

I also agree with Carolina's Steve Smith being one of the best, but since this discussion is about the best WR corp, and not just the best WR, I didn't mention it.

Re: Green Bay. I give credit to Jordy Nelson, but Jennings does not make the pro bowl this year if he isn't on the Packers. He is more of the type of player that I meant could be replaced by an average player, who will do just as good. Does anybody know who played for him when he was injured for a game or two recently? One thing is evident, the team didn't score any less without him.

lol

apparently tight ends can be considered QBs in this wacko league we love

(looking at you tebow)