• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The all-new Girlie Thread: Post your beauty secrets here!

lil angel15 said:
About 99% of my make-up is Clinique. I think it has already being mentioned but their mascaras are fantastic. I use the High Definition Lashes, and its amazing. It costs $36.00

I can't use anything else as my skin and eyes are so sensitive everything else leaves me itchy and red. :(

My skin's not hugely sensitive, but I also had a reaction to clinique products... the Happy perfume (which sucked, cos I really liked the scent) and foundation.

Speaking of perfume- don't wear it on your neck!! (in the daytime)

The reason is because perfume has alcohol in it, which attracts the sun and magnifies its burning and aging effect. Think about it - you happily spritz your juice on your neck, you drive your car or walk to the shops and bang, without you even knowing, your lovely new fragrance is amplifying the sun's already terrible effect on your sweet, delicate neck skin.

(Shamelessly stolen from fruitybeauty.com)

I call bullshit.
nothing attracts light except for singularities, and I'm pretty sure your perfume won't have any of them.
re: magnifying, the alcohol will evaporate before you get out into the sun.

the idea sounds like an old wives tale

If anything, the alcohol will dissolve and either relocate or evaporate with oils from your skin, causing it to dry out and removing any possible protection.

If I play with solvents in the lab, my hands will end up feeling dry and appear to have either a residue or flaking skin.

Most beauty tips in magazines/on websites are absolute bullshit.

MoeBro said:
I call bullshit.
nothing attracts light except for singularities, and I'm pretty sure your perfume won't have any of them.
re: magnifying, the alcohol will evaporate before you get out into the sun.

the idea sounds like an old wives tale

If anything, the alcohol will dissolve and either relocate or evaporate with oils from your skin, causing it to dry out and removing any possible protection.

If I play with solvents in the lab, my hands will end up feeling dry and appear to have either a residue or flaking skin.

isn't alcohol responsible for making the fragrance stick to the skin? i think so because i was told the alcohol is what makes products like deodorants stick to skin. many organic deodorants don't contain any alcohol and seem to be based in water, and i figured this is why they dissolve and wear off so fast in sweat.

if anything is bad about fragrances, i think it would be the chemicals used to make most of them like linalool. from what i know of linalool, it kills skin cells upon application. wouldn't this, dead and damaged skin cells, be the core of what "aging"really is?

source http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dictionary.asp?TYPE=SEARCH&ID=L
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=370

do u think this info is correct?

what sunscreens -brand and level of SPF- do you all use, and how many times day you reapply it throughout the day? and brands u think r good, and bad? do u use same product for face and body? do u wear sunscreen clothing, like the brand Coolibar?
i really want to buy a whole wardrobe from Coolibar but it is just so expensive.

Last edited:
CuriousCub said:
what sunscreens -brand and level of SPF- do you all use, and how many times day you reapply it throughout the day? and brands u think r good, and bad? do u use same product for face and body? do u wear sunscreen clothing like the brand Coolibar?
i really want to buy a whole wardrobe, gloves and all, from Coolibar but it is just so expensive.

I wouldn't go so far as to buy a whole wardrobe full of anti-sun clothing! Maybe I'm not that scared of the sun...a bit of sun is good for you!!

As for sunscreen....I use Dermalogica Solar Defense Super Sensitive Face Block which is SPF30 and has a slight tint to it to even out your skin tone a fraction. I love it cos its not too oily and I dont break out from it as I'm pretty sensitive to sunscreens.

I've heard the Clinique City Block is great too. Its a physical sunscreen instead of a chemical one, therefore it physically blocks the suns rays from damaging your skin.

I dont use any sunscreen on my body except in summer when I expect to be outside all day. Regular ol' Banana Boat is good for that, or the Sunsense Toddler one I like cos its a lotion and non greasy.

30+ 30+ 30+

MUST BE UVA + UVB 30+ ALWAYS!!

I just use an Olay moisturiser for sensitive skin that has sunscreen in it. 2 in 1 yay!

A little bit of sun is very good for you. The best source of vitamin D is through the sun, so unless you have a condition where you can't go out into the sun or are extremely sensitive to the sun, a tiny bit of sun per day is actually very good for you. It's all about moderation, folks. :)

how long do u keep your sunscreen? the answer to this one is really divided among people i've asked before. estheticians say keep it for only 6 months because the active sunscreen agents supposedly deactivate very fast, and dermatologists say the physical mineral agents like zinc and titanium will last for years if stored properly, but chemical agents don't last longer than a couple of months. banana boat says their screens last for 6 years! that i don't believe. so what is proper storage for sunscreens since they seem so unstable in the long term, especially in a warm climate like Oz? do u prefer physical or chemical agents, or the common blend of both?

samadhi -are u sure of that? it seems that there is no safe amount of sun based on the most recent reports i read. it seems there is no way to predict how much sun u get when exposing yourself to it, cuz we don't all absorb sun rays the same. tell me what u think of this:
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/body.asp?ID=374

You don't need to bake in the sun for 3 hours to get all of your vitamin D/calcitrol needs, you just need some sun, whether it be in the morning, afternoon... i wear sunscreen when i go in the sun, i don't bake in the sun, but i feel much MUCH better when i've been outside, in the sun (albeit with sunscreen and a hat, etc.

I just don't believe that it's healthy to completely and utterly block myself from any tiny amount of sunlight. I can't think of anything worse than not being able to get a dose of the suns heat... try to every day, whether it be sitting in the early morning sun or the late afternoon sun, or mid-late afternoon sun for a short while. I have no scientific proof to back myself up, i can only go on how i personally feel if i haven't been in the sun for extended periods of time.

:)

Last edited:
I should point out that they say it's the best source of vitamin D, not the only source... i supplement with multi-vitamins, as i'm aware of the dangers of extended exposure to UV.

samadhi said:
I just don't believe that it's healthy to completely and utterly block myself from any tiny amount of sunlight.
:)

I couldn't agree more! Seems like a lot of worry just for a few rays. You're not gonna get skin cancer from 10 cumulative minutes exposure.

CuriousCub said:
isn't alcohol responsible for making the fragrance stick to the skin? i think so because i was told the alcohol is what makes products like deodorants stick to skin. many organic deodorants don't contain any alcohol and seem to be based in water, and i figured this is why they dissolve and wear off so fast in sweat.

if anything is bad about fragrances, i think it would be the chemicals used to make most of them like linalool. from what i know of linalool, it kills skin cells upon application. wouldn't this, dead and damaged skin cells, be the core of what "aging"really is?

source http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/dictionary.asp?TYPE=SEARCH&ID=L
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=370

do u think this info is correct?

what sunscreens -brand and level of SPF- do you all use, and how many times day you reapply it throughout the day? and brands u think r good, and bad? do u use same product for face and body? do u wear sunscreen clothing, like the brand Coolibar?
i really want to buy a whole wardrobe from Coolibar but it is just so expensive.

I'm a guy, so I totally use clinique for everything... 8(

the alcohol wouldn't help the fragrance stick to your skin so much as give it a suitable medium to be transported onto your skin. If you're going to be spraying yourself with stuff, you need a solvent to carry the fragrance on, be it water or alcohol, acetone, petrol, whatever.
Alcohol evaporates more easily, dissolves non-polar molecules much more readily (fragrances tend to be aromatic compounds (unless you're buying cheap shit) which are funnily enough, not very polar).

re: chemicals used to make them, pretty much anything can be an allergen, sensitizer or skin irritant. It probably won't be doing anything nice to your skin, but given the minuscule quantities used, I doubt it'll be doing all that much bad stuff either. Unless you bathe in it or something. They test this shit on babies and rabbits for a reason, you know.

Most Clinique skincare products are pretty harsh or full of oil. Expensive too.

See the smiley? Or the bit where I mention that I'm a guy?
I don't actually use any skin care products other than an aftershave balm (coz it smells awesome). And no, its not Clinique, that was just the first thing I saw in the thread that I thought I'd type in.

MoeBro said:
See the smiley? Or the bit where I mention that I'm a guy?
I don't actually use any skin care products other than an aftershave balm (coz it smells awesome). And no, its not Clinique, that was just the first thing I saw in the thread that I thought I'd type in.

I thought you were serious ;)
Only cos Clinique is one of the few brands that have a line of products entirely made for men! Nice choice! Heeheheh. Nothing wrong with a guy using moisturiser! In fact, I encourage it =D

yeah, that would have been an unintentional coincidence. I'm too lazy to shave regularly, let alone look after my skin or anything.

Kosmgel.GIF

thats how i roll

* Waves to the boys in our girlie thread* ;) lol

Dale uses a boy's moisturiser, from the supermarket, I forget what it's called but it's a cheapie... Nivea men or something... and only because I said one time "Right, I'm going to buy you this. Will you use it?" And he's like, "Whatever". But, it gets used ;)

Hey COTB, I just got my mirinesse mascara sample. Thankyou bunches! Will try it out tomorrow.