• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The all-new Girlie Thread: Post your beauty secrets here!

Can anyone recommend a good eyelash curler, to make a curl that lasts all day? Are the heated ones much better? TIA.

katmeow said:
Calling for opinions on moisturisers with tanner.

Not so impressed with Johnsons.

But am I spoiled with post-WA skin at present?

Im using Garnier with self tan, and it actually works! Ive used johnsons before and it did nothing, but the garneir one has maintained the tan (ok not completely, but pretty well!) taht i got back in oz, for the past 2 months here in the uk.

For my face im using Olay moisturiser with sunkissed tan too... :)

yay for girlie threads! haha...

kittymeow: No I haven't tried Matrix...might give it a go.. am going to try something new anyways so may as well go with a reccommendation.

Question for those makeup savvy people... I've often heard that one should put foundation on with a foundation brush and not fingers/sponges etc... is this true? What is this like in theory? I tried it once, and it was CRAP, had to use way more foundation, and got an uneven coverage. I still apply with my fingers..I can tend to feel how heavy/light it is and can tell if its going to be too much or too little and where i need to fix. Should I still be going down the brush path???

samadhi said:
Something to think about SLM: When you're buying a straightener, and if you can afford it, get a full-ceramic straightener, not a ceramic coated one. If you scratch the plates at all, the ceramic-coated will start burning your hair.

I have a nice fake-GHD Stefan straightener, it cost $160, but i've had it for 2 years as well, and it's brilliant. It straightens my hair really well, and i don't blow-dry mine first... you've seen my hair too, so you'd know that getting the stuff straight is no mean feat. ;)

The only other beauty thing i can reccommend right now is the Kerastase hair range. Makes my scalp and hair great, and really defines my curls, without having to use a heap of post wash product.

AHA!!!! I've wanted to know about the kerastase stuff. Is it the stuff for cursl...can't remember the name but is in orange containers?

Also I have the fake GHD stefan hair straightener too and Love it.

Don't pay full price for GHD, or if you do, find a salon that does the trade thing where you take in your old shitty straightener and you get $75 off a GHD. I've seen a few advertising it.....must be some around you SLM :)

Nicstar said:
kittymeow: No I haven't tried Matrix...might give it a go.. am going to try something new anyways so may as well go with a reccommendation.

Question for those makeup savvy people... I've often heard that one should put foundation on with a foundation brush and not fingers/sponges etc... is this true? What is this like in theory? I tried it once, and it was CRAP, had to use way more foundation, and got an uneven coverage. I still apply with my fingers..I can tend to feel how heavy/light it is and can tell if its going to be too much or too little and where i need to fix. Should I still be going down the brush path???

latex sponge is what I've always been advised from professional make up artists, and is what I've always had them use on me.

Always found it very easy to apply with them, you can get quite a thin, even coverage.

The straightener i recommend out of all the different brands i have used in various salons is the Turbo Iron. Not only does it get it dead straight in pretty much one stroke but it also does the reverse and you can curl your hair with it. You can get one from Hair house Warehouse. The ladies in there will explain how to use it. They are professional hairdressers in there.

I am in love with the new mascara from Loreal- Telescopic. Man it is bloody awesome! Makes your lashes stand out gorgeously and lasts for hours and no smudging at all. I highly recommend.

Also Revlon's foundation- color stay is incredible. Looks perfect even after like 10 hours of wearing. Because i go to allot of bush parties and music festivals its good to have finally found a foundation that lasts the party ya know.

Even if i go and sleep in my tent, then i wake up my make up is still perfection!

Gawd i sound like i am on a commercial or something.

stephaniesomewhere said:
so posting in this thread bout products that aren't tested on animals would be a bit pointless hey...
:\

Of course not. Go for it! Im keen which brands to look for!

randomlily said:
i hang aroudn the vogue forums a bit too :)

:) Do you have the same username? I'm syntech on there. I used to be on here too and had a huge post count but then BL changed while I wasn't using it and I lost my log in stuff.

I dont think there's any harm with putting make-up on with your fingers. As long as they're clean of course. The foundation will also warm up that way and go on smoother. I have a bunch of sponges from a couple of years ago and rarely use them cos they still dont get a good coverage.

Stephaniesomewhere it would be great talking about animal testing free products. Lately I've been quite hooked on Lush and use MOP for my hair and Dermalogica for my face.
I know that Loreal tests on animals but not sure which of its "sub" companies also do....cos so many other brands are owned by them!

"Australis" is on the cheaper end of the market but says it's products aren't animal tested.
:)
I'm always a bit dubious as how about the stuff that goes into them being animal tested as opposed to the finished product..... does this mean they can claim to not animal test their products and would anyone bother to do that...

kittymeow said:
Stephaniesomewhere it would be great talking about animal testing free products. Lately I've been quite hooked on Lush and use MOP for my hair and Dermalogica for my face.
^I always try to buy cruelty-free products where possible.

And kitty, I am like a LUSH encyclopaedia. ;)
I've also been recommended MOP by my hairdresser, but I still have a lot of Redken left [I use smooth down, works a treat with the smooth down balm + straightener --- no kinks and curls!]. :)

stephaniesomewhere said:
"Australis" is on the cheaper end of the market but says it's products aren't animal tested.
:)
I'm always a bit dubious as how about the stuff that goes into them being animal tested as opposed to the finished product..... does this mean they can claim to not animal test their products and would anyone bother to do that...

I think this was one of the big dramas The Body Shop had wasn't it? They were all high and mighty about being against animal testing and said none of their products were, but the original ingredients were, but by a different company so they could say they had nothing to do with it.

chik (sorry, i'm lazy and your new name is long) how much is that straightener you mentioned? i have pretty striaght hair to begin with and only need to use my cheapo one to get it super smooth, but i'd definately be interested in one that can curl too, if it's not crazy expensive like a ghd.

vanth- don't bother buying a heated eyelash curler, just blow your hairdryer over it for a little while to heat it up, it's just as effective (but be careful not to burn your face with it!)

Mary Poppins: The shampoo i'm using is in a bluey-green container, but most of the Kerastase range are in orange bottles. Also, aren't those Stefan straighteners fantastic?? :D

Kittymeow: I used to use MOP a few years ago, really liked it, but my hair grew a tolerance to it, unfortunately. COTB mentioned Redken, but unfortunately i found it horrid on my hair, which is naturally very curly, and has the habit, after a few days of not washing, of forming into 12 barrel-curls (always 12 for some reason!).

Kerastase is way up there with MOP, i'd say it's better. It's not cheap, though, but i have alot of hair, so like it to look good.

I've only just found Paula's Choice and have found it to be an awesome resource for no-nonsense information on all manner of beauty topics.
Paula is very much straightforward and eager to dispel common beauty myths that massive companies have fostered for years in the hope that they will increase their profits.

For example, I read last week that cheap hair conditioner is a great alternative to over-priced shaving balms and foams.
Tried it today, and not only is it gentle on skin, I use less [more economical by FAR!] and it gives me a much closer shave. :)

Thanks joannie_mhm, that's a good idea.

The Body Shop *was* cruelty free but they've been acquired by the Estee Lauder / L'oreal cooperation, which does do some animal testing. The Body Shop still doesn't do any animal testing themselves, but to be rated "cruelty free" with PETA, Choose Cruelty Free, etc, the entire cooperation your company is a part of needs to be free from animal testing.

MAC doesn't do any animal testing, as far as I'm aware, and its great stuff.

Oh and I agree with COTB, Paula's Choice is great.

samadhi said:
Mary Poppins: The shampoo i'm using is in a bluey-green container, but most of the Kerastase range are in orange bottles. Also, aren't those Stefan straighteners fantastic?? :D

Kittymeow: I used to use MOP a few years ago, really liked it, but my hair grew a tolerance to it, unfortunately. COTB mentioned Redken, but unfortunately i found it horrid on my hair, which is naturally very curly, and has the habit, after a few days of not washing, of forming into 12 barrel-curls (always 12 for some reason!).

Kerastase is way up there with MOP, i'd say it's better. It's not cheap, though, but i have alot of hair, so like it to look good.

I've been very keen to try Kerastese but have not seen it in many stores. And www.fountaincosmetics.com.au doesn't have any for fine hair as far as I'm aware.

clinique's lash doubling mascara. its good because it defines your lashes and looks natural hence is excellent for day wear, and then if you want a slightly more dramtic look at night just put two layers of it on and it won't go all clumpy and shit.

i usually have nothing to add to this thread because make up products don't get me very excited, but this i wanted to share because it really is good.

[Thank-you Kat, I lubs joo! :D]

I came across an email today from Mirenesse which allows everyone to order x1 mascara for nothing [+$2.00- postage]. :)
Just thought I'd spread the love. I've used their stuff before and it's not bad. The mascara is especially good at defining every single lash.

So go forth and claim your freebie, girls*. :)
*And any boys who wish to have defined lashes.

Splurged today at the Benefit counter at Myer.
I bought a Mr. Frosty;
Mr.jpg

Creaseless cream shadow in Tattle Tale;
TattleTale.jpg

And a foundation brush;
Foundationbrush.jpg

I've started using MAC for foundation and powder and wow. My skin is loving it to bits.
Their other items however are just way too pricey. $52- for a moisturiser, anyone? :p

Last edited:
i recommend whatever it is they smear on the lense when filming janice dickinson for her tv show