• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2014/2015 nfl thread v. R U RDY 4 SUM FOOTBAW?

It's too bad he's retired or I'd try to get it signed at training camp this year. I actually haven't been out to one of their TCs yet but I'm taking my girl and my sisters out there this year in July. Should be fun. I'm pretty sure they have tents set up for player signings throughout the practices.

Wow Robert Kraft just gave a press conference stating he would not fight the Patriots' penalties handed to them for Deflategate. Brady's appeal is separate, though. I wonder if Kraft and the Commish made a deal: If Kraft doesn't appeal the team penalties Goodell will lessen Brady's suspension to 2 games or something like that.

IDC Steelers still gonna rape that first game

"can't wait" - Bart Scott

feeling on Tannehill's monster contract? I'm not feeling much, only that I'd love to feel his wifes' insides

They overpaid Tannehill but I can't say I blame them. They're paying him for the player they expect him to become and not the player he is right now. Right now he's a decent QB. Definitely not elite. BUT, he's slowly improved each of his seasons in the NFL so far. Since they're a division rival my biggest hope is that now that he has his big contract he'll either keep playing like he's been playing or even better regress in 2015. It wouldn't be crazy if that's what happened either. He seems like a smart kid but it's very rare for a rookie to come in and then have 4 straight years of incremental progression. I could see him taking a step backward this year, especially having to play the Bills Dline twice, the Jets dline twice, and the Texans this year. JJ Watt is an absolute freak of nature and adding Clowney to that mix is going to be a nightmare for opposing QBs.

I'm more wondering what the hell the Dolphins' plan is going forward. They've approached this offseason like a team that feels like they have to go all-in and win a Superbowl NOW(kind of like The Pats signing Revis last offseason, the Saints spending big for Jarius Byrd, etc.) but they don't have an aging QB like those two teams do so I'm not sure what their plan is. What kind of team can you field over the next couple years when you have this much tied up in a young, still-barely-above-average QB, and a Defensive Tackle? That's more than a quarter of their ENTIRE 2016 salary cap!

Combined cap hits for Ndamukong Suh & Ryan Tannehill:

2015: $10.873M

2016: $40.24M

Staying on the topic of the AFCE, alisdair... wtf is your team doing with their secondary?? I realize Bellichick has earned some leeway in the league with being able to get the most out of less-than-elite players on both offense and defense, but dude, losing Revis, Browner, and Dennard was huge in itself. Then I see they cut Arrington too?

For anyone not familiar with the Pats' Cornerbacks, take the #1-#3 starting Corners on your favorite team and then get rid of them. Then take your team's best slot corner and cut him. How good would you feel about your team's CB situation? I can say without any sort of Bills fan bias that as it stands now the Patriots easily have one of the 3 worst cornerback situations in the entire league. And there aren't really any better CBs available in free agency right now.

I'm a firm believer that the Patriots finally won a Superbowl after 10 years of trying and failing because they finally made the type of "all or nothing" signing of Revis to bolster their secondary. Before last year the Patriots always neglected their secondary. They were always ranked bottom third in the league. Signing guys like Revis and Browner finally gave them that extra push they needed, and it was obviously the right move because they won another ring. I just don't see how Bellichick could EVER think he can be a real Superbowl contender after letting all those guys walk. Even if Tom Brady plays all 16 games they'll never make it to the Bowl.

IDC Steelers still gonna rape that first game

"can't wait" - Bart Scott

They sure as fuck better. I'm counting on your boys to crush Jimmy G's debut as the Patriots QB while Brady is suspended so the Bills defense can absolutely destroy his confidence and eat his soul week two.

yep - i am scratching my head a little too. butler, fletcher and ryan are hardly awful but the pats d looked pretty sick last year - about 8th overall. we'll see, i guess :\

alasdair

Here's a breakdown I did of who they have left for the Bills' forums a couple days ago. Looks like some slim pickins.

Malcom Butler: Undrafted rookie signed by the Patriots in 2014. Started 1 game all last year. Appeared in 11 games and had 15 tackles and 3 passes defended. Best known for his Superbowl-winning Interception which is the only interception of his career.

Bradley Fletcher: Drafted in 2009 in the 3rd round by the Rams. Cut by the Rams and picked up by the Eagles in 2013. In 2014 for the Eagles PFF ranked him 92nd out of the 108 qualified CBs in the league when he allowed 9 TDs.

Logan Ryan: Drafted in 2013 in the third round by the Patriots. Started 6 games for the Patriots in 2014 and served as mostly a reserve CB. Probably the only decent one in the lot.

Robert McClain: Picked in 2009 in the 7th round by the Panthers. Cut by the Panters in 2011 and picked up by the Jaguars who cut him 18 days later. Picked up by the Falcons in 2012 who let him walk to the Patriots in 2015.

bradley fletcher does have a knack for fucking everything up but to be fair he was playing alongside a secondary that was equally shitty at just about every skill position etc etc, but if anyone could get anything out of him it would be the patriots because he always seemed capable of making plays he was just in the wrong spots last season

My best guess is that Bellichick is banking on the rest of the AFCE continuing to seriously struggle at the QB position. The only team that has a solid young QB that appears to be getting better is Tannehill. The Pats went Defensive Tackle-heavy in the draft so they're probably going to focus mostly on stopping the run. I'd look for Miami to beat the Pats at least once this year with Tannehill though. He's capable.

And I know it probably sounds crazy now, but you can quote me on this: EJ Manual is going to look A LOT better this season than he has in previous seasons. Most Bills fans have already written him off and just assume Matt Cassell will be starting for the Bills week 1 but I think it's going to be EJ all the way.

Doug Marrone basically ruined the entire offense last season with his terrible schemes, terrible play-calling, and his micro-managing of the offensive line which proved disasterous. Just having Marrone gone would give EJ a better chance to succeed this season, but adding Greg Roman as OC and Aaron Kromer as the Oline coach is going to be a HUGE boost imo. I honestly can't think of an OC in the entire league that I'd rather have if my goal was to tailor an offense that a QB like EJ can succeed in. Just look what he did for Kaepernick. EJ is the same type of young, fast, athletic QB as Kap, just not as talented running the ball(not many QBs are).

So the AFCE might not be as QB-depraved as the Patriots think it's going to be. Only time will tell!

He can't. If he plays that badly, even in training camp, he'll never see the field as a Buffalo Bill again. But I don't think he'll play slightly better this season. I think he'll be A LOT better.

bradley fletcher does have a knack for fucking everything up but to be fair he was playing alongside a secondary that was equally shitty at just about every skill position etc etc, but if anyone could get anything out of him it would be the patriots because he always seemed capable of making plays he was just in the wrong spots last season
tend to agree. the patriots have a talent for getting the best out of people.

the seahawks had arguably the best secondary in football last year and they didn't win the superbowl :)

alasdair

bradley fletcher was the fall guy for having chip kelly as the coach. his teams usually give up a lot of yards and lets be honest, he's an average cornerback at best but if given enough support around him he has the physical tools to be a difference maker.

Idk we'll see how the eagles are this year against the pass, they cant get much worse than last year

ive been saying that a lot lately

"cant look much worse..."

its the lazy way of generalizing an entire season's expecatation of something into one sentence

Bleh. We really could have used him in the season opener against the Colts.

1908366_1117139364968619_1701806768726548658_n.jpg

hey, you break the rules, you get punished. that's what happens :)

alasdair

That's aight, it was expected. After Nigel Bradham got suspended for last season's opener for getting caught with a joint we all knew Dareus would get suspended for at least the opener. I'm just glad it was only 1 game. He was not only arrested with synethic pot(idiot) but he also had that drag racing incident where he crashed his car into a tree. I was worried it was gonna be 2 games.

synthetic pot - fucking gross

the NFL's terms of suspension are so arbitrary. aren't Blount, Bell, and this dude all suspended for a different amount of games for essentially all doing the same thing?

Goodell is losing his grip on the NFL and I couldn't be more happier. when Paul Tagliabue was the NFL Commish no one knew who he was, and that's the way it should be. Goodell's finger prints and DNA are far too entrenched in the game for my liking

if only the NFL could have someone like the NBA's Adam Silver. I've despised Goodell since Day 1