• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2014/2015 nfl thread v. R U RDY 4 SUM FOOTBAW?

May 15th

I was waiting for subotai's outlandish early season pump up of the Eagles. Now let's sit back and wait for the mid season call that this is a rebuilding towards better times next year.

Thank god you aren't a jets fan

^ that's just stupid...

alasdair

The sad part is that was just one or two lines in the 18,000 word rebuttal of the Wells report the Patriots' legal team released today. I didn't read it all yet but from what I understand it was a pretty compelling argument. They even had supporting statements from a nobel laureate scientist.

But, because of how unbelievably stupid that "deflator" explanation was everyone is going to dismiss the entire rebuttal as a joke. Whoever had the idea to put that excuse in there should be fired immediately.

Like I've been saying since the very beginning, the smartest thing to do would have been for Brady to say "I absolutely maintain my innocence and disagree with the NFL's decision to suspend me, but I just want to put all this behind me and play ball without this media circus being a distractionto my teammates while we get ready for next season." He could have then served his 4 games and came out of all this smelling a lot better than he does now. Public sentiment in this, which was already anti-Patriot, is only going to get worse as this appeal process drags out.

Actually, that's what I said they should do AFTER the investigation and punishment. The BEST thing for them to have done is simply admit it when the allegation first came up. During Brady's very first interview on this, before the report was released, if he said "Yeah I had the equipment guys keep the balls light. I didn't even realize there was a specific range they had to be in. I just find them easier to work with when they're not too full. It didn't even cross my mind that that would be considered cheating I realize now it was a mistake and I apologize." this whole thing wouldn't even be in the news right now. He probably would have gotten a $50k fine and that's it.

But, because of how unbelievably stupid that "deflator" explanation was everyone is going to dismiss the entire rebuttal as a joke. Whoever had the idea to put that excuse in there should be fired immediately.
yep.

alasdair

Actually, that's what I said they should do AFTER the investigation and punishment. The BEST thing for them to have done is simply admit it when the allegation first came up. During Brady's very first interview on this, before the report was released, if he said "Yeah I had the equipment guys keep the balls light. I didn't even realize there was a specific range they had to be in. I just find them easier to work with when they're not too full. It didn't even cross my mind that that would be considered cheating I realize now it was a mistake and I apologize." this whole thing wouldn't even be in the news right now. He probably would have gotten a $50k fine and that's it.

Nah this was going to be a huge story no matter what Brady said at that point. It's Tom Brady, Bill Belichek and cheating rolled into the same story. Too juicy to pass up for the media types.

It wouldn't have been nearly as big a story as it is now. I can guarantee you that. People would have already been over it Just like they were after Spygate.

It wouldn't have been nearly as big a story as it is now. I can guarantee you that. People would have already been over it Just like they were after Spygate.

I disagree because I think it's the accumulation of evidence of cheating over time that made this such a big story. First there was the allegations they where intercepting play calls in foxborough then came spy gate now this. The bennefit of the doubt has been used. The general public now believes the patriots are cheaters. The NFL is reacting accordingly. Oh and firing the ball guys was a really classless move IMO. There is no way you will ever convince me they acted without Tom Brady's direction.

I still think it's possible the Pats win the AFC East this year, in spite of their harsh penalties

and that, my friends, highlights once again just how weak that conference is ;)

Brady's 1st game back is against the Colts @ Indy. that game is going to be fun as shit to watch

I disagree because I think it's the accumulation of evidence of cheating over time that made this such a big story. First there was the allegations they where intercepting play calls in foxborough then came spy gate now this. The bennefit of the doubt has been used. The general public now believes the patriots are cheaters. The NFL is reacting accordingly. Oh and firing the ball guys was a really classless move IMO. There is no way you will ever convince me they acted without Tom Brady's direction.

The fact remains that people would already be over it if the Patriots had just kept quiet about the whole thing. There would be no "deflategate" headlines in today's news.

I really hope Goodell isn't as stupid as this to screw this whole thing up. I was reading the Players' Union's appeal letter to the league and noted a section where they stated Troy Vincent did not have the authority to give Brady a penalty. Surely, I thought, that's just semantics and there's nothing in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that says Goodell CANNOT delegate the responsibility to hand out punishments like this. So I read the relevant part of the actual agreement between the league and players:

Section 1. League Discipline: Notwithstanding anything stated in Article 43:

(a) All disputes involving a fine or suspension imposed upon a player for
conduct on the playing field
(other than as described in Subsection (b) below) or involving
action taken against a player by the Commissioner for conduct detrimental to the
integrity of, or public confidence in, the game of professional football, will be processed
exclusively as follows:
the Commissioner will promptly send written notice of his action
to the player, with a copy to the NFLPA.
Within three (3) business days following such
written notification, the player affected thereby, or the NFLPA with the player’s approval,
may appeal in writing to the Commissioner.

Which is not what the Commissioner did. Instead he delegated it to the Senior Vice whatever Troy Vincent. If the whole thing gets thrown out because of this I'm going to be PISSED.

the irony of the thing being thrown out because the nfl did not follow a rule will not be lost on me :)

prepare for delegategate!

alasdair

May 15th

I was waiting for subotai's outlandish early season pump up of the Eagles. Now let's sit back and wait for the mid season call that this is a rebuilding towards better times next year.

Thank god you aren't a jets fan

its not that out of line to think this will be the best defense chip kelly has ever had

jordan hicks from texas looks like the linebacker theyve always wanted

the irony of the thing being thrown out because the nfl did not follow a rule will not be lost on me :)

prepare for delegategate!

alasdair

Mannn if Goodell fumbled this whole thing I'm going to freak! And just when I got a couple of my memes ready. :(

11127900_10153766582658362_178460373638239210_n.jpg

Shweet. I just got my Jabari Greer game-worn Bills jersey in the mail. Some old Bills fan in Texas posted on a Bills facebook page that he had it, didn't really want it anymore, but couldn't bring himself to throw it away so he was giving it away. I Paypal'ed him 10 bucks for shipping and BLAMO:

11011254_10204214798876485_9161274449097450948_n.jpg

10954938_10204214800796533_1574299376823131500_n.jpg

Definitely lucked out with that find.

Wow for only $10, nice find

Did he wash the jersey or something? Looks pretty clean

Must be the lighting, it's a little dirty. There are some minor smudges on the front and what look like sweat stains in a few spots on the blue. Probably pretty standard for a Cornerback since they don't fall to the ground much during a game.

Greer was a small dude and there's no way it'd ever fit me so I'll probably just hang it up or something. Still a pretty cool find for 10 bucks. I have no idea why he was just giving it away. I was just lucky enough to see the post as soon as he made it so I was the first to message him, but a lot of fans commented on his post afterwards offering to buy it. He probably could could have gotten $100-$150 for it.

I've never actually touched a real NFL equipment jersey before so I really surprised at how heavy/thick they are. I guess the new Nike ones are more sports science-y are are a lot lighter but this one is an old Reebok one from the 2005 season and it's really heavy, dense, and stretchy.

Yeah that's true. I'm not familiar with the player, I didn't know he was a CB. Definitely not getting scuffed up as much as d-lineman

And probably isn't falling on his back very often lol