• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tell us about today's workout/exercise (v.new thread, finally)

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ I think one should be stoked to do a marathon at all :D
3:18 is brilliant!! Good work man!
For my first marathon (hopefully in May 2011) I'll be really happy if I crack 3:30

i did a pump class tonight too, and then used whatever strength i had left in teh gym. i'ma gonna hurt tomorrow bad.

Jogged a 24 min 3 miler with my essentially untrained labrador last night.

I'm impressed.

I've realized why I've hated running the past half year... these Nike Free's aren't built for long distance. As much as I loved them in the beginning, the lack of padding it killing my hips and legs. Time to get another pair of comfy Asics... at $100 a pop :\

Oooh dude, I just checked out the Nike Frees and yeah they are really not designed for long-distance running! Owwie!
Go with something like this:
NSFW:

Asics Kinsei (about USD$125.00)
asics-gel-kinsei-med.jpg

Brooks Launch (about USD$90.00)
Brooks-Launch-Black-Nightlife.jpg

I've always had Brooks running shoes and I freakin love them. A good pair of long-distance running shoes feels like you're running on clouds, no matter how far you go.

If you're going to bother with running long-distance frequently you really need to spend the money on a good pair of shoes, it's like the most important part of running :)
Also, you need to replace your running shoes after about 400-500 miles, so keep that in mind if your shoes are old too.
That's my tip of the day! =D

^^ I think one should be stoked to do a marathon at all :D
3:18 is brilliant!! Good work man!
For my first marathon (hopefully in May 2011) I'll be really happy if I crack 3:30

3:30 would be pretty bad ass. Former United States President George W. Bush hit somewhere near 3:45.

Oddly enough, I seem to recall hearing something to the effect of "the average, healthy untrained 18-35 yr old can be trained to run a marathon at a pace only 2 min slower than their current best single mile, in only 6 months time". So, if Billy Bob Smith can run an 8 min mile, then by March he could theoretically be running a 4:20 (260 min) marathon.

Sounds like a tall order to me, but...who knows. If we can put a man on the moon, then maybe we could put Billy Bob in a 4:20 marathon in 6 months.

Not a chance to exercise today except for morning yoga but I did an hour of abdominal breathing while at work today. Done me real good.

Today =

*Back Extensions @ 15 pounds- 3 sets of 12 reps (I felt so fucking strong)
*Leg Presses @ 70 pounds- 3 sets of 8 reps (I actually went down from my last workout because I realized I wasn't doing leg presses with proper form)
*pull ups with 65 pounds taken off my body weight- 3 sets of 12 reps
*Dips with 65 pounds taken off my body weight- 3 sets of 12 reps (was hard, I could barely do the last set)
*Chest press @ 30 pounds, negatives only, 3 sets of 8 reps
*Face pulls @ 50 pounds- 3 sets of 12 reps (felt REALLY strong doing these, especially since there was some big tall dude on the other side doing exercises at the same weight as me)

I've been a little under the weather so we missed a few workouts... but it's amazing how even after resting for awhile my strength still goes up and up. I'm starting to feel really confident in my physical abilities! Getting stronger is the most amazing feeling. :)

am
-45 min b/w exercises for chest/core . . lots of finger-tip push-up stuff

pm
-30 min run
-30 min swimming/deep-water running

got the new Nike Pegasus 27... feel like clouds on my feet and a huge upgrade over the Frees... looking forward to running some long distances on an indoor track once classes begin.

^^ Nice one :)

Doing a 60min pilates class in about 40 minutes' time, then I'll probably do 30mins on the cross-trainer.

^^ Nice, how'd the 10kms feel? :)

sorry i missed this question, hun. it felt fine, my stamina is quite good and doesn't really get tired. i slow down only when my muscles become tired. actually the hardest part is motivating myself through an hour of discomfort. music doesn't really work like it once did. i find the time fly by happily if i am trying to read my uni lecture notes and reading on the treadmill.

i'd enjoy it more outdoors, but it's still a bit cool for that.

tonight visited ian thorpe aquatic centre down the road and worked my abs, chest, back (upper and lower), and really smashed my bis and tris. oh and used the upright calf press machine (105kgs x 50 (3 sets, 15, 15 and 20)). LOL i used my new jordans at the bodypump class and hit this same machine after, but only did 85kgs because i was scared the bottom loaded full length zoom air might burst! :D

re: running shoes
the first time i seriously ran the city to surf 14kms, i wore (very flat footed) nike air raids
309915382.jpg

like these, but mine are just black and white.

oh man i bloody deserved those shin splints.

Planning to really grind myself to the core tonight with a 3hr comeback session (having a week off due to sickness has resulted in depression-cycle hell)... and god knows I've been craving it!

Will spend at least an hour on the cross-trainer
a good half-hr on the exercise bike
about 40 mins on the treadmill (I go at a fairly fast speed - 6.4 - with a 2.5 incline - 3 is as high as it goes :\) and I also alternate arms whilst on it doing 2-3 kg weight reps, switching over every minute.
And the rest of the time will be spent doing various kinds of weight training and stretches... I break all my sessions up, I do about 10 mins at a time on the bike, and 20 in the treadmill.. I'm known to do up to 40 mins on the cross-trainer but mostly it's 20 :)

Yayayayayayayayay

just a cardio day. jumped rope for about half an hour, then 3/20 push ups and 3/30 sit ups

Status
Not open for further replies.