ReDNet 'legal highs' study

In line with what Vader was saying, maybe "research chemicals" would be a more appropriate way of referring to these drugs, rather than legal highs - one could regard alcohol and tobacco as legal highs, but not as research chemicals. In my case I know by legal highs you're referring to designer drugs/research chemicals anyway, but this might not be so clear for everyone.

Great survey though, enjoyed filling it out :)

"Research chemicals" would exclude botanicals though, right? I don't think that there's any need to get hung up on the semantics, it's fine as it is.

I think the idea is to capture a wider picture of what is going on right now and 'legal highs' includes a broader range of drugs than 'research chemicals', botanicals etc. This discussion here is much appreciated as it's of interest to myself and my colleagues. Thanks for the comments!

Did the survey, found it quite interesting, appreciate the fact that the project is Europe wide, and EU funded. The RC trade is driving a coach and horses through British drug legislation, Govt seeming to think that existing legislation is gonna keep a lid on chemists running rings round it, and through it, preferring to sack its own advisers who dare go public with the uncomfortable truth. Glad resources like this are being put together for young people and independently funded almost in spite of them. :)

Unfortunately only read the 16-24 yr old bit after I'd submitted my response. :doh: Not exactly the target market either, not being joined at the hip to my smart-phone, but still, I'll be watching what comes of this with interest.

Not a bad survey, kind of disappointing that psychedelic RC's are mostly ignored and it focuses on stim RCs which are obviously a larger social and health issue but still, RC psychedelics are a fairly large market.

I'm impressed with this survey - it is genuinely short yet still detailed.

It's often the case that researchers exclude non-young-people from their samples... often this is related to funding which tends to be focused on 'young people', but it always irks me. Young people aren't the only people who use drugs :)

Hi everyone!

We are currently running the second phase of the ReDNeT project where certain individuals may be contacted (if you choose to provide your contact details) to participate in online focus groups.

If you are aged between 16 - 24 and are aware of/use ‘legal highs’, we want you to get involved in the study.

Your help would be much appreciated!

Ursula Blaszko
[email protected]

This study has received ethical approval from King's College London Psychiatry Nursing and Midwifery Research Ethics Subcommittee (Ref: PNM/10/11-85).

Only just realised there were more replies on the 2nd page... :) Thanks for your feedback and comments about our survey!

Just a quick note to ask if there is anyone who would like to take part in our online focus groups. Your contribution would be much appreciated! If you're not interested, we would still like to know. Maybe you could tell us what you think about it. :)

For more information, contact me via [email protected]

Just a quick note to say that our focus groups are carried out via a secure and moderated chat room hosted on the ReDNet website and only members of the focus group will be given access to the dedicated webpage. If you are interested in taking part in our online focus groups but would prefer to contact me via Bluelight private message system, that's fine to do so. :)

Survey done. Makes me realise I've done too many legal highs to remember :/