• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Redesign the Bluelight logo - part II

Meh, I don't really like it but I spent time on it and I'm not starting over now so...

BLlogocopy.jpg

I thought a transparent lettering design with the pills texture would be cool (where the letters look like the light bulb), but I quit for now. Here's the texture I made if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

pillstexturecopy.jpg

<snip>

It should Say Bluelight somewhere

serious entries, of your OWN work, please. :|

Last edited by a moderator:
hey i really like that! (pennywise's one.)

have you guys thought about making these logos a more suitable size? remember they'll be displayed at the top of every single page on the site. like i said on page 1:

felix said:
that's probably still up for debate. but i think the dimensions of the current one would be a good guide, perhaps a bit taller. (256 x 48.)

pro_header_top_ls.gif

i would legibility at a smaller size would be a pretty important factor when deciding on a winner. there are a lot of awesome entries here, but i think most of them are too big in their present form. :)

small idea.

blxa5.jpg

play with and stylise as you will

felix said:
hey i really like that! (pennywise's one.)

have you guys thought about making these logos a more suitable size? remember they'll be displayed at the top of every single page on the site. like i said on page 1:

i would legibility at a smaller size would be a pretty important factor when deciding on a winner. there are a lot of awesome entries here, but i think most of them are too big in their present form. :)
Whoops... I think that was contradictory to the advice I gave about being more experimental. We've got the opportunity to rebuild the forums from the bottom up and I saw (see) no reason to persist with those very, very limiting dimensions.

A lot of forums these days will use a banner space that exceeds 100-120 pixels. Not all, but a lot. It allows a bit of creativity if you want to customise the navbar, gives opportunity to provide ample advertising/banner-sharing space and makes the top of the forums a little less squashed.

Resizing isn't too difficult anyway.

I like
Pennywise's original entry
Tambos original entry
I am Thoughts entry (though I don't know what the background is).

I don't like
All the ones with electric light bulbs.

Carry on.

tambourine-man said:
Whoops... I think that was contradictory to the advice I gave about being more experimental. We've got the opportunity to rebuild the forums from the bottom up and I saw (see) no reason to persist with those very, very limiting dimensions.

A lot of forums these days will use a banner space that exceeds 100-120 pixels. Not all, but a lot. It allows a bit of creativity if you want to customise the navbar, gives opportunity to provide ample advertising/banner-sharing space and makes the top of the forums a little less squashed.

Resizing isn't too difficult anyway.
d'oh. i never noticed your post on the subject. i usually just skip over them. fair point well put my son! but like i said in my first post, that was merely my own opinion, it won't be up to me. i still think the current one will be very difficult to beat!

i'm still waiting for inspiration, and i'm painfully aware of that. more and more with each time i chime in. ;)

I dunno. Maybe you're right. But 48 pixels is tiiiiiiight. I'd have hoped we go for at least 100-130 and make the header space a little chunkier.
StoneHappyMonday said:
I don't like
All the ones with electric light bulbs.
Hahah! :D

yeah, i can see 100 high being feasible. about twice as high as the current one. that would maybe give scope for some kind of navbar on the same line. (which would be messy if not done well, but still...)

sun6b.png

sun8.png

pennywise said:
I thought a transparent lettering design with the pills texture would be cool (where the letters look like the light bulb), but I quit for now. Here's the texture I made if anyone wants to take a shot at it.
Do you have the layered file? Attach it and I'll have a crack.

Last edited:
SA said:
I/We would prefer to see the logo represent the Bluelight mission - harm reduction

i think this should be stressed. IMO it's important for a logo to show the essence of the brand.

Question - what will the new board skin look like?

it's hard for me to imagine how to sum up the mission of bluelight in such a small space. i like the idea of illumination and so i stuck with the lightbulb theme. for me, the secret of bluelight's success has always been the victory of substance over style so i went with a very simple typographical style coupled with an iconic lightbulb:

bllogo01.jpg

here's what it looks like in the context of the current front page to give an idea of what it would look like in situ:

blfrontpage01.jpg

alasdair

^i don't think the lightbulb is really sufficient. actually, i don't see any image as accurately conveying what the site has become.
that's why i reckon another word may be appropriate (like "Sanctuary").

^ to me, changing the name of the site is a rather bigger issue than the scope of this thread is intended to discuss.

alasdair

well the decision stays upstairs in terms of logo and site name, so as a place to discuss ideas, presenting name change as a option in lieu of an adequate logo is all i'm doing. :)

BLlogocopy.jpg

I like where this is going and would prefer the lettering to stay as is. It looks modern and fresh! The lightbulb has to go though and replaced with something else. I don't know what.... I do like the pill texture though.

^Maybe a pill like the current logo but with the pill texture inside of the pill?

two new designs.

BLlogo3copy.jpg

BLlogo4copy.jpg

spork said:
^Maybe a pill like the current logo but with the pill texture inside of the pill?

I also like this idea. I'll work on that later. :)