• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea

I steep my mushrooms 3 or 4 times before discarding them. Also, be sure not to use boiling hot water when making the tea, as that could destroy some of the psilocybin.

Tea is a great way to consume mushies :)

Ok, so I have 6 grams I was going to make tea with. I was going to make it using a coffee press. How hot should I make the water and should I make it all at once or what?

Well, it all depends on how hard you wanna trip, which depends on the potency of the 'shrooms.

You want the water to be pretty hot, but not boiling. You could even let the water boil, then let it sit for a couple minutes before steeping the mushrooms.

Well I want to trip really hard, so I want to make the tea as potent as possible and I am going to be drinking all of it. They're pretty average in potency, I ate 3 grams and had a nice trip.

this is going out on a limb but the heat for extracting psilocybin may be similair to that of dmt when making ayahousca since dmt and psiolcybin are actually pretty similiar chemically. its alot more similair to that as far as psychedlics no nothing like the fragility of lsd.

Brew all of the mushrooms then! I'm sure you'll trip balls :)

Mr. Dopeman, you may be right although I have heard otherwise. In either case, it isn't necessary to use boiling water to extract the psilocybin, so there's no point in risking it really.

I've always done a few squeezes lemon juice, a tablespoon of sugar, and then an additional tea packet of choice after the initial 15 minute steep. The added ingredients really cover the earthy taste in the tea.

Can psilocybin be extracted and preserved with strong alcohol? Or can it be extracted only with water and preserved only in honey?

Tea is a great way to consume mushies :)

Is it? Making them that way smells vile, the stuff tastes vile and the come up can be so quick as to induce pretty bad anxiety in the person drinking it. Years ago, for going to a club, I made some boiled mushroom liquid and cooled it to allow for taking immediately before entering club. To make it a bit more palatable, I made it up with some Vimto cordial. My ex got it down pretty quickly & cleanly, but despite that (and a subsequent pretty good trip), after that the smell of vimto made her retch pretty badly; in fact just saying the word made her look a bit ill!). Last time I chatted with her ('bout a year ago) I asked her if she still hated Vimto. After an sucessful minute or two of keeping the stomach contents down, she told me that even seeing an advert for the stuff makes her feel a bit ill.

Pretty good start for a planned aversion therapy methinks =D

dmt and psiolcybin are actually pretty similiar chemically. its alot more similair to that as far as psychedlics no nothing like the fragility of lsd.

That means nothing in terms of stability. That 4 substituted group makes the molecule a lot more fragile and prone to degradation. In fact all 4-hydroxyindole related compounds generally come with advice to store at -4'C because they decompose so easily. Psilocybin is more stable than psilocin, but both are so much more 'fragile' than the simple dialkyltryptamines such as DMT that it's similar to saying that say an Aston Martin & a Trabant are desirable cars. They might be, but for different reasons and in the end most people would prefer the Aston martin over the Trabby, most of the time!

Last edited:
I only ever brew my mushies as I don't like eating them - it makes me sick.

I have never gotten nausea from tea and I can never really taste the mushrooms strongly. If you actually use tea bags, milk and a good bit of sugar then the taste is fine, in my experience.

The come up is very damn quick, which can be bad as I often shake uncontrollably. It mellows out after about 20 minutes though. It may be a good idea to sip at it slowly over about 15 minutes. I've found that the dosage needed seems lower when using tea. Though, with mushrooms which have a higher psilocin/psilocybin ratio, you're likely to loose more potency; I've only every used p.semilanceata which has a low psilocin/psilocybin ratio :)

I have never gotten nausea from tea and I can never really taste the mushrooms strongly. If you actually use tea bags, milk and a good bit of sugar then the taste is fine, in my experience.

How many do you brew up per person? My memories of the excesses of youth during the mushroom season frequently involved making tea for people in a pot/pan that contained 100+ liberty caps per person. At that strength, you have to concentrate hard on ignoring the vile tasting brew! =D

Oh, nowhere near that. My usual dose is 30-40 per person. The highest I've gone is 150 between two people. Needless to say, my lovely golden tea was a gruel grey :(

Best way to take mushies in my experience. Gets you tripping balls real quick. Definately worth trying mate.

I've read that you can do a pretty thorough extraction by just steeping them in room temp, or even chilled fruit juice that's fairly acidic, never tried it though. I hear grapefruit or cranberry is the way to go....

Also, I've put shrooms in an iced tea maker to good effect. The water's not quite boiling and its easy clean up...

Best stuff for extracting psilocin/psilocybin from mushrooms is methanol, but it's not exactly readily available...

Ok, so I made some tea tonight, which was extremely weak and I can't figure out why. I used a coffe press like this http://www.coffeegrinders.info/images/pictures/bodum-shin-bistro-8cup-coffee-press-1035816us.jpg , I used 12 ounces of water and 6 grams of shroom powder. I heated the water up a little less than boiling. Poured 6 ounces of water in, let it sit for like 20 minutes. Then poured that into a bottle and poured 6 more ounces of hot water into the press. After about 5 or 10 more minutes I poured the rest into the bottle. I drank it all a few hours later, but barely felt anything. It felt as if I only ate a gram. I know they were good shrooms because I ate 3.2 grams a couple weeks ago and tripped pretty good. I also added alot of sugar into the tea, but that's all I added to it.

ive boiled mushrooms in a pot for about 30minutes(rolling boil, too) and i still tripped the fuck out so i dont think boiling it does shit tbh. You dont need to strain them either bro, just use a siv or something dont need a fine as one.

Ok, so I made some tea tonight, which was extremely weak and I can't figure out why. I used a coffe press like this http://www.coffeegrinders.info/images/pictures/bodum-shin-bistro-8cup-coffee-press-1035816us.jpg , I used 12 ounces of water and 6 grams of shroom powder. I heated the water up a little less than boiling. Poured 6 ounces of water in, let it sit for like 20 minutes. Then poured that into a bottle and poured 6 more ounces of hot water into the press. After about 5 or 10 more minutes I poured the rest into the bottle. I drank it all a few hours later, but barely felt anything. It felt as if I only ate a gram. I know they were good shrooms because I ate 3.2 grams a couple weeks ago and tripped pretty good. I also added alot of sugar into the tea, but that's all I added to it.

Do you know what strain you had? You might have had a strain with quite a high psilocin content in relation to the psilocybin content. Psilocin is a much more unstable compound than psilocybin. This may explain it, you might have destroyed a good bit of psilocin. With liberty caps it doesn't really matter as the psilocin content is usually pretty negligable, which is why they're so good for tea. At least that's my thinking :\

Do you know what strain you had? You might have had a strain with quite a high psilocin content in relation to the psilocybin content. Psilocin is a much more unstable compound than psilocybin. This may explain it, you might have destroyed a good bit of psilocin. With liberty caps it doesn't really matter as the psilocin content is usually pretty negligable, which is why they're so good for tea. At least that's my thinking :\

I'm not sure. They looked like cubensis.

You always make the water boil, then wait until it stops boiling. That water temp varies per where you are but its the perfect state for the water to be in.

I only strain once. We made tea with about a 1/2 of mushrooms. After we extracting psilocin we fed a sober person all of the caps and shrooms. They felt absolutely nothing but sick. Thats why i dont waste time on extracting multiple times, the potency isn't noticable.

Tea just makes your trip shorter and more intense. If thats what you want tea is for you. If not you should just eat them...

I like to make the tea the day of. People say itll store fine in a fridge others argue potency might be lost. The loss probably wont be noticed but a way to avoid that is to just make it the day of.