• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea

anamnesis said:
Anyone ever calcined mushrooms? Or even just the tea...would that work to boil off the water and just have a concentration of alkaloids left, or would they evap off along with the water?

Boiling the tea down until there's a crumbly residue left (calcined) will only reduce the potency of your mushrooms. If you don't mind
adjusting to the loss of potency, go for it then.

I recommend that you fallow the recipe below to avoid potency loss do to calcining. :)

1. Dry them
2. Put into a coffee grinder, (grind to powder).
3. Use '"0" gel capsule
("0" size holds about 500 mg "00" holds about 650mg) i.e. 1/2 gram <>

Can't find the caps go here>
http://www.capsuline.com/index.php?cPath=1_29

Again:
From my past experiences doing it this way; for one, makes it more enjoyable for those folks who can't stand the taste of shrooms easier for them to stomach. You also know how much your ingesting and there is virtually no loss in potency.

And Again:
If you don't have a scale to weigh your little babies: each "0"Gel-Cap is <>1/2 gram, and they store well as long as you fallow the no air, light, heat storing rules.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am tired of correcting this myth.

Psilocybin is a VERY stable molecule and can easily survive the boiling process with almost no lost of potency.

Psilocin, is the opposite. A very unstable molecule that decomposes quickly when exposed to air. If you are using dried mushrooms and grind them, there is likely little to no psilocin left in them, so you will notice no loss of potency.
psst psst heeeeeey dude

psilocybin turns into psilocin in hot water 8)

Extended boiling will destroy psilocybin/psilocin... in fact, even when making tea it's much better to simply let them steep in very hot, slightly acidic water, rather than boiling the mushrooms themselves. It will only reduce potency.

If you're looking for a simple way to extract alkaloids, look into an everclear/high proof alcohol extraction...

Slightly acidic water? How 'slightly' and what type of acid?

Everclear, hey?

Correct... the temperature required to boil water destroys psilocin/psilocybin, as they are unstable molecules. In fact if you make tea with boiling water, it will be weakened. It's best to use hot water that wouldn't hurt you to touch (but is about as hot as you can manage without hurting yourself), with lemon juice or other acid.

The alkaloids would not evaporate though - they would be left behind. Whatever is left of them anyway.

lemon juice, or what other edible acid? Which juices have the higherst acidity?
Cranberry & orange?

I'd say lemon juice probably has the highest acidity. Not a lot, just a nice squeeze of a lemon. You won't be damaging it by having it really strong, though.

Tryptamines substituted at the 4 position are just not very stable.

From "Biochemistry and Neuropharmacology of Psilocybin Mushrooms" by David Presti (PhD) and David Nichols (PhD):

In the mushroom, the phosphoryl group of psilocybin confers protection against oxidation. Indeed, crystalline samples of psilocybin have been stored at room temperature for decades with no appreciable degradation. Furthermore, psilocybin can even be recystallized from boiling water, a treatment that would destroy psilocin itself (Nichols and Frescas 1999). Thus, psilocybin is a remarkably stable molecule, particularly when compared with other tryptamines. This stability provides the basis for the extraction of psilocybin mushrooms with hot water for the preparation of ritual teas."

Psilocin, by contrast, is a fairly unstable molecule. The pure material slowly darkens in air, whereas solutions, particularly at basic pH, decompose rapidly.

Quote your reputable source, and I will believe you.

Honestly, I dont care. That's just what I've read a number of times.
I haven't slept and I feel like shit right now so forgive me if I dont feel like searching through various webites and journals atm.

1. Dry them
2. Put into a coffee grinder, (grind to powder).
3. Use '"0" gel capsule
("0" size holds about 500 mg "00" holds about 650mg) i.e. 1/2 gram <>

I think that 650mg estimate applies when you're talking about powder - when it comes to dried and crushed mushroom I don't think you can get anywhere near that into the 00 capsules. I think 300-400mg is a better estimate.

Ismene said:
I think that 650mg estimate applies when you're talking about powder - when it comes to dried and crushed mushroom I don't think you can get anywhere near that into the 00 capsules. I think 300-400mg is a better estimate.

When you use a coffee grinder to grind "Dried" mushrooms, it turns to powder, by the way.
I have weighed a "stuffed" "0" gel cap to see for myself what it weighed.
There is only a 1 or 2mg give or take <> difference not the 100mg you are assuming Ismene.

If you want to nit pick be my guest. Where talking Mushrooms here not RC's where dosing is in mg's make a hell of a difference such as for example 2C-E where every 2mg's over can make a very big difference in the intensity of a trip.

Cheers

I've capped my mushrooms for years in OO capsules and each hold 500 mg of fine powder.

Ismene said:

When you use a coffee grinder to grind "Dried" mushrooms, it turns to powder, by the way.
I have weighed a "stuffed" "0" gel cap to see for myself what it weighed.
There is only a 1 or 2mg give or take <> difference not the 100mg you are assuming Ismene.

What did the empty gelcap weigh?

Even in a coffee grinder mushroom powder doesn't end up as powder like salt, it's a bit bulkier.

What did the empty gelcap weigh?

Even in a coffee grinder mushroom powder doesn't end up as powder like salt, it's a bit bulkier.

I really can't believe your even asking this; obviously you haven't even tried this yourself, so stop assuming Ismene!

Ismene said:

I think Ismene! what's with that> I Think is an assumption in my book.
Bluelight is a harm reduction forum and I'm all about harm reduction.

Besides "anamesis asked>
"Anyone ever calcined mushrooms"
This has become so off topic from anamesis's question, sorry anamesis :)

The weight of the Gel Cap is not the issue here!
Let me be more specific for you Ismene.

After I stuffed the "0" gel cap, using my THE CAPSULE MACHINE http://www.capsuleconnection.com/ (witch i happen to also use it for certain herb and vitamin powders).

So anyhow:
Out of curiosity I decided to see what the "content" of the cap weighed.
I poured the powder out of the Gel Cap onto my Tanita 1210 Scales weighing tray. I did this to a few randomly stuffed caps to see for myself the weight of the "contents" of the "0" gel cap. Every single time there was 500, 501 <> 499, 498 <> milligrams of powdered Psilocybin Mushroom.

Because of my curiosity, I can share this information with the rest of you Bluelighters. The fact is a few milligrams under or over is NOT going to make much of a difference in dosing Psilocybin containing mushrooms. Especial when most trippers ingest 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or even 7+ grams at a time of Psilocybin containing mushrooms.

Cheers

Last edited:
Is that including the weight of the empty gelcap?

Nope, just 500 mg of powder. I've always used cheap 2-blade coffee grinders, so the powder isn't as fine as possible, but it's quite fine for what it is.

If you're trying to avoid the flavor or gut grumbles that come from trying to digest dried mushroom powders, then a smoothie is the way to go. Take your fresh or cracker dry mushrooms (suspend them over a can of damprid if they've gotten moist) and toss them in the blender with some OJ, frozen fruit of your choice, and grated ginger (or better yet, the juice squeezed from grated ginger root ... (it calms the gut and gives ya a nice warm glow if you take enough), blend and drink. Mushroom smoothies come on very quickly, as quick as tea.

As far as tea goes, if you're going to do it, do it the way proper tea is prepared. Proper tea is never made with boiling water, rather water is brought to a boil then allowed to cool to just below boiling then poured over the tea. You can pick up really good, very cheap, fine screen tea strainers from Asian grocery stores that are great for all sorts of tea where you wish to remove the solid matter from the drink.

Hmm... I'll tell you a little story. I had a bag of shroom remnants, about 2 8ths worth. I ate all the caps on one night (just over 1/8th total) and had a decent trip. A month later, I made tea from the remaining portion (just under 1/8th of stems and dust). I boiled the stems for about 15 mins in water, then filtered it through a coffee filter and drank the liquid.

That was HANDS DOWN the craziest trip of my life. You always hear that stems are slightly weaker, and that boiling destroys some of the actives, but I really fail to believe any of that after the mind-blowing trip I had. And another thing - there is no "sit back and wait for the waves to come on" when you drink the tea; I barely had time to walk into the next room when that shit hit me like a train. I literally fell to the ground and had to crawl into the other room and onto the couch.

Never again with the tea! Boiling certainly did NOT destroy the actives. And if any of you have read my morphine ramblings in ADD/OD, you'll see that I've posted how boiling opiates doesn't seem to destroy the actives either. Don't believe everything you read - try it for yourself and you'll see. Or if you really want proof, I've seen people bake shrooms onto pizzas at 400*F before and the actives were clearly not destroyed. So take THAT non-empirical data.

[Mushrooms Subthread] Mushroom Tea (Mega Merged)

I have a few questions about mushroom tea. First, how long can I have it after making it before I should drink it? Also, is there any psilocybin left in the mushrooms after you make it?