• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Growing advice, tips, tricks and experience: Mark 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
...or a tube hooked onto a 3ltr. coke bottle that leads all the way down onto the soil for watering. Always an easy answer. Good idea about the light, couple that with some LSTing and u have a good thing.

Thanks

Good ideas I hadn't thought of. Would just clone, but I'd really like a bunch of these seeds. If they are as advertised they'd be a gold mine.

Your plant is extremely healthy, so I don't think you need any of our advice really! I would think about doing some training and/or pruning in future to increase your yield. You could supercrop her still in flower (you can supercrop during the flowering period, despite the common misconception that this is not possible).

Apart from an occasional seaweed foliar spray with yucca extract (acts as a spreader to stop beading up on the leaves) and a mollasses soil drench, it seems like you've got all your bases covered.

When you say 'plain soil', what do you mean? I assume you don't mean garden soil/earth...

Just garden center potting soil, i cant remeber the brand, mixed with some compost. I have looked into supercropping, although i normally just bend the new stems around existing foliage and guide their route closer to the light. Thanks for the info.

Thanks AE,

Curious question, I didn't get to take a picture of it last night when changing the pots, but,
I started my clones in a red plastic cup, with peat moss, whats weird is , when I went to take the plants and put them in bigger pots, I noticed that there were ALOT of little round balls in the soil they were greenish white, and were really ODD looking, I tried googling for fungus/fungi or bug eggs, but didn't find anything,

The balls are in groups of about 20, and are about 1-2 mm big (Some what look like a whole bunch of tiny tennis balls)

I have no clue what this is from, but Ive never seen it before, and Im not sure if I should take those plants out of my grow room or not...
If its bad (which , it doesnt seem to be effecting the plants at all) the plants dont seem to mind it, but it was really creepy to me, especially when I have to sleep 6 ft away from it at night, lol....

Anywho , because of that, I only repotted two plants, I was hoping to get time tonight to repot the other two and maybe take a picture (it will be low quality with my phone, but, its all Ive got at the moment)

Anyone know what it was? or whats going on?

(and I did see a fungus gnat last night while changing the soil. so I sprayed the top soil with bug spray (alot of it) and watered the plants with some nutrients hoping that the bug spray would wash down into the soil and kill any larvae or eggs. (neither of which I can confirm to be there for sure or not, didnt see any larvae, and those things are way to damn big to be eggs from a fungus gnat, but anywho, Ill try to get pics)

-edit-
looked at them again, they are much smaller than I remember (but I guess xanax may have helped me think about things other than fungus growing in my closet with my weed.)
Going to go try and get a clear picture.

Last edited:
Mosquito dunks will take care of the Gnats.

noticed that there were ALOT of little round balls in the soil they were greenish white, and were really ODD looking, I tried googling for fungus/fungi or bug eggs, but didn't find anything,

I dont know what that is.

Google"hemp pest and diseases" that should help you out.

Just got 10 bubba clones, and some of the tips are brown/burnt. Should I snip these right away?

lol , yes you can post pictures of your grow room and plants, go through previous pages, you'll see grow rooms, closets, green houses, plants, buds, etc.

And I did search that Texas, still didn't find it, its in the soil, so I dont think its a problem with the plant, the plants look healthy, (or close enough to it) , and the only weird thing I saw were all those weird looking balls in the soil. I know my other two plants that I still have in red cups have the same thing, so Ill be able to get a pic, who knows if anyone will know what the hell it is.

NSFW:
Fungi.jpg

There it is, those white spots are bunches of little tiny whitish/yellow balls. they did have some what looked to be mold or whitish mildew on them (My guess is when the peatmoss would dry up, it shrinks, leaving a little bit of room for light to get in around the edges of the cup, leaving just enough moisture and heat for fungus to grow, I potted up and made sure to cover them all up in soil to make sure they dont receive anymore light. Anyone seen this before? Or know what it is?

NSFW:
Fungi2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks AE,

Curious question, I didn't get to take a picture of it last night when changing the pots, but,
I started my clones in a red plastic cup, with peat moss, whats weird is , when I went to take the plants and put them in bigger pots, I noticed that there were ALOT of little round balls in the soil they were greenish white, and were really ODD looking, I tried googling for fungus/fungi or bug eggs, but didn't find anything,

The balls are in groups of about 20, and are about 1-2 mm big (Some what look like a whole bunch of tiny tennis balls)

I have no clue what this is from, but Ive never seen it before, and Im not sure if I should take those plants out of my grow room or not...
If its bad (which , it doesnt seem to be effecting the plants at all) the plants dont seem to mind it, but it was really creepy to me, especially when I have to sleep 6 ft away from it at night, lol....

Anywho , because of that, I only repotted two plants, I was hoping to get time tonight to repot the other two and maybe take a picture (it will be low quality with my phone, but, its all Ive got at the moment)

Anyone know what it was? or whats going on?

(and I did see a fungus gnat last night while changing the soil. so I sprayed the top soil with bug spray (alot of it) and watered the plants with some nutrients hoping that the bug spray would wash down into the soil and kill any larvae or eggs. (neither of which I can confirm to be there for sure or not, didnt see any larvae, and those things are way to damn big to be eggs from a fungus gnat, but anywho, Ill try to get pics)

-edit-
looked at them again, they are much smaller than I remember (but I guess xanax may have helped me think about things other than fungus growing in my closet with my weed.)
Going to go try and get a clear picture.

What kind of bug spray? I have no idea what that is. Can you use the macro function on your camera?

I wouldn't go spraying bug spray into your roots unless it's some harmless organic spray like neem. If it's absorbed into the roots you could end up smoking it and absorbing the chemicals into your bloodstream if it's a nasty formula like what they pass off as bug spray these days.

The husband and I finally set everything up. 1 week later and a couple grand down. Here it is! From the beginning to the present.

1.) Cleaned out a spare room. Washed the ceiling, walls, and floor.
NSFW:
DSCF2001.jpg

2.) Drilled 3 holes in 2 pieces of plywood. Two 4" and One 6" - Put mini blinds up. Then attached the plywood to the windows.

NSFW:
DSCF2004.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2006.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2007.jpg

3.) Set up 2 5x5x8 tents.

NSFW:
DSCF2013.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2014.jpg

4.) Mounted a 4" squirrel cage fan. Used 3 pieces of 4" ducting. 1 for outtake connected to the window (sucking fresh air in). Attached a "Y" connector to split the fresh air into both tents.

NSFW:
DSCF2018.jpg

5.) Mounted a 4" squirrel cage fan in the flowering room with another "Y" connector attached to the intake. At 1 end is an Elf Carbon Filter for odor control. The other end is ran through the flower tent to the veg tent. This allows 1 fan to pull old air out of both rooms simultaneously.

NSFW:
DSCF2024.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2027.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2028.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2022.jpg

6.) Attached a 4" duct to the outtake of the fan, ran it through the tent, and connected it to the 4" hole in the 2nd window. The bad air in both rooms go out this duct, straight out the window. Then, we set up our hood with a 1000w High Pressure Sodium Light. Connected a 6" squirrel cage fan to it for hood and light cooling and more air circulation. 6" Ducting was connected to the hood and ran out of the tent into the 6" window hole.

NSFW:
DSCF2037.jpg

7.) Mounted the 1000w digital ballast outside of the tent onto the wall. Yes, digital. *NO PRICES* but worth every penny. No noise, no excess heat.

NSFW:
DSCF2043.jpg

8.) Set up a 1000w air conditioner. Taped the output vent to suit 6" ducting. Attached a "Y" connector to it. Ran a 4" duct from the 6" duct so that both rooms are air conditioned simultaneously. Attached a 4" duct to the air conditioners exhaust then attached it to the already existing 6" output duct which is connected to the 6" fan (the one used for cooling the hood) So that now, both bad air from the flower room and air conditioning exhaust are going out the same window from the same duct.

NSFW:
DSCF2057.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2063.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2048.jpg

9.) Put a T5, 4ft 8 bulb in the veg room.

NSFW:
DSCF2036.jpg

10.) Finishing touches. 4 small fans, 1 vortex fan per room.

NSFW:
DSCF2059.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2058.jpg

11.) Teenagers are introduced to their new home! With temperatures ranging from 65-80 degrees and 2 loving care takers :)

NSFW:
DSCF2065.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2066.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2067.jpg

NSFW:
DSCF2068.jpg

THE END! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How do fluorescent do for budding, or do you use just for vegging? -edit- Sorry didn't read , 1000 watt hps, okay.
So, I take it T5s do just as fine as MH? Ive been wondering if I should switch , due to energy cost and heat...but, let me know how they work if you've worked with both, thanks. Nice set up.

and AE, as far as the product goes, its just a spray made from other plants, I sprayed the top soil then just watered hoping the spray would kind of settle in.

And I have no clue what it is either, Ive been searching for hours online and can't find anything, and its just my phone on my camera, my g/f has the phone that can take macro/micro and has adjustable settings, mines pretty crappy.

I even asked my grandfather what it was, he thought it may be Nitrogen fixing bacteria, but, didn't really find a match there either, so , I have no clue, just hoping its not bad for me...or the plant....

did you know, or notice how more ''blue light' for seedlings will develop more female plants, and "red light" will produce a greater % of males.

and also that seedlings who grow taller and broader leafs first will most likely be males; the fems worry about building an established root system first ...

- indeed -
;-)

Fluorescent bulbs are just used for veg. I have a 1000w HPS for flower.

I saw, I edited my question before you answered guess you didn't see though, or maybe I was editing while you were posting, anywho, do florescent bulbs do just as well a job of vegging as MH or do you find MH better?

I started off using florescent bulbs just because I knew they were cheaper electricity wise and did the job fine at the time, was wondering if you had used both, and if so , which works better?

I was thinking of using T5s to save on electricity and bring the temps down, but Im not sure , might just stick with the MH for now but just curious.

Fluro's are best for saving cash, but any HID(HPS/MH) shit's over it when you compare the growth and size of the plants. to each other.

the MH will be cheaper then the fluro's over-time - and eventually at harvest save a lot of cash and BS.

at the end flowering with MH your plants will be stretched out, and the buds will be loose.
the HPS will encourage more resin production rather then further growth of the leafs and stems - this happens because the roots eventually stop growing at 12/12 with HPS, chancing root bound flowering plants can be a problem... i use fluro-MH veg and then MH/HPS to flower.

i would absolutely use HPS full time if i had to chose one though
(dual-ballast if planning)

Edit:
hang cfl's down to shadowed areas if you must, but using fluros with HID lighting would be a redundant chase - to cast enough lumens with t5's what have you. into HID, would be very expensive to arrange, and then why not use HID instead of spending all the extra on the fluros...?

Last edited:
MH consumes electricity/money - it also massively raises the heat (WHICH IS HUGE)

I don't know if what "Panic In Paradise" is accurate about the overall growth. I think it depends on the nutrients/fertilizer. These teens will grow to 18-20" in 2 weeks under fluros. Fluros do the job without overkill. Fluros for veg and HPS for flowering is the best setup IMO. As for budding and growth... again, it depends on the environment, care, nutrients, etc...

Currently, we have 10 teens vegging. I will let you all know what I yield in 2 1/2 months using this setup and what nutrients I've administered.

the MH will be cheaper then the fluro's over-time - and eventually at harvest save a lot of cash and BS.

at the end flowering with MH your plants will be stretched out, and the buds will be loose.
the HPS will encourage more resin production rather then further growth of the leafs and stems - this happens because the roots eventually stop growing at 12/12 with HPS, chancing root bound flowering plants can be a problem... i use fluro-MH veg and then MH/HPS to flower.

i would absolutely use HPS full time if i had to chose one though
(dual-ballast if planning)

Edit:
hang cfl's down to shadowed areas if you must, but using fluros with HID lighting would be a redundant chase - to cast enough lumens with t5's what have you. into HID, would be very expensive to arrange, and then why not use HID instead of spending all the extra on the fluros...?

Oh I have both HPS & MH, and thats what I use, I also have T8s and T5s. I was just wondering if flouros would be cheaper than using MH, and if so , how much of a difference does it make growth wise, and I know temps are gonna start getting really hot here indoors soon so thats why I was considering using T5s or T8's for vegging during summer, but who knows.

Anywho, thanks for the answers both of ya.
HID is HPS right?

And panic, how do you get that MH would be cheaper than flouros over time?

MH consumes electricity/money - it also massively raises the heat (WHICH IS HUGE)

I don't know if what "Panic In Paradise" is accurate about the overall growth. I think it depends on the nutrients/fertilizer. These teens will grow to 18-20" in 2 weeks under fluros. Fluros do the job without overkill. Fluros for veg and HPS for flowering is the best setup IMO. As for budding and growth... again, it depends on the environment, care, nutrients, etc...

Currently, we have 10 teens vegging. I will let you all know what I yield in 2 1/2 months using this setup and what nutrients I've administered.

Do you find that the branches aren't as strong under floros? Do you find that they are a bit weaker? or anything? I mean, there has to be some type of differences. Size of leafs? Thickness of branches, final yeild? have you used MH and Floro? Do you get the same yeild using floros and then putting them under HPS?

-Edit-
Sorry for double posting two questions, coulda put them in one post, wasn't thinking, apologies.

-edit-

And if anyone could find out what that fungus or mildew/mold is on my plant in the soil, I would greatly appreciate it, it was pure peatmoss, it was usually moist, a good place for fungus gnats (which I do have a few of, but am dealing with), Im just curious as to what it really is if its dangerous to smoke, Ive literally been googling two hours and nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you find that the branches aren't as strong under floros? Do you find that they are a bit weaker? or anything? I mean, there has to be some type of differences. Size of leafs? Thickness of branches, final yeild? have you used MH and Floro? Do you get the same yeild using floros and then putting them under HPS?

-Edit-
Sorry for double posting two questions, coulda put them in one post, wasn't thinking, apologies.

-edit-

And if anyone could find out what that fungus or mildew/mold is on my plant in the soil, I would greatly appreciate it, it was pure peatmoss, it was usually moist, a good place for fungus gnats (which I do have a few of, but am dealing with), Im just curious as to what it really is if its dangerous to smoke, Ive literally been googling two hours and nothing.

Personally, I don't know. I am basing this off of a friend's grow. What I've seen him do with Fluros, matches MH... and it's actually superior. The teens I got from him are outstanding. Strong stems, healthy roots, beautiful plants. I will keep you posted with pics on how they are developing.

That set up is looking really nice Lotus & Spano. Good luck with your first grow. I know it took me a couple harvests before I was satisfied with my product (not that you can't do it right on the first try, but patience is very helpful when growing), and even now I am learning almost as much as in the beginning, but it is rewarding. Each harvest gets better because of what I learned from a previous one. I am also currently running a t5 for veg and hps for flower.

Prelude - I like AEs suggestion with the organic Neem oil solution instead of "bug" spray. I have seen knats and some white and some green mold in my soil, but nothing that the Neem solution doesn't take care of. Plus if you get mites, it's helpful to have neem for those bugs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.