• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pets MEGA Cats VS Dogs - POLL!

The Big Question - Cat v's Dog

• Total voters
they were classroom pets. the cleaning lady found the partly eaten gerbil carcass and left it on my director's desk. i've given up on class pets since that :(

russian-dwarf-hamster.jpg

Mr. Chubs. He is 6 months old.. Has a bump on his foot (paw?) vet said "Hamsters get bumps and die.. make him happy, give him treats, hamster are throw away pets" that pissed me off, no animal is a throw away anything.

He doesn't seem like he is in any pain and it is a very tiny bump.. maybe a bug bite?

lilhomer.jpg

I found this baby opossum early one morning , i guess it fell off its mother . We called animal control and had him picked up .

yay for the thread :)

but, one of my gerbils ate the other :( is this common? i don't think i have appropriate stories to comment...

rofl, yes. i bought a hamster from Jack's Aquarium years ago. I brought it home and put it in its cage, and the next morning I was surprised to find the hamster along with like 20 baby hamsters. Later that day there were only about 8, and then later only about 5.... I think only 2 survived the cannibalistic mother :) hahaha, gross! i guess it's just their nature though. there's several other cannibalistic species out there.

Also, I REALLY want a lionhead rabbit, they are so ridiculous looking and soft:

36.JPG

adorable_lionhead_bunny.jpg

Last edited:
lilhomer.jpg

I found this baby opossum early one morning , i guess it fell off its mother . We called animal control and had him picked up .

OMYGOODNESS! its poor little baby eyes aren't even open yet! so tiny!

lilhomer.jpg

Ohmygosh, that is the cutest picture ever!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I will be posting pics of my hamster later for sure!!

All the pictures are soooo adorable!

@gsx, I can't believe someone said that! Hamsters are NOT throw away animals! Nothing is! I had a hamster years ago and he was around for a couple years. Heck, "even" fish aren't throw away pets. I had my fish for over a year! The cat kept trying to eat him though ... luckily never succeeded. Anyway yeah I think female hamsters will eat other hamster. I guess I shouldn't get my hamster a "friend" eh. I think they eat their babies too. Not completely sure though.

I thought of this thread last night. I work in animal rescue and got a call at midnight to go get a dog.. It was surrendered and the paper said the dog was a 12 yr old lab/shepherd mix... I picked her up already in a crate.. took him home.. Very sweet and scared.. But very old.. more like 15 years old.. No use of the back legs, no hearing and practically blind, and definitely in pain. I called the folks that surrendered her and asked why they didn't put her to sleep. There excuse? " My mom just passed away and I couldn't bear the put her down, so I was hoping you would do it." So I took her in this morning to get put down, and then I billed the family. The money spent in rescue puts me in debt every year and it just ticked me off that they were willing to just waste my money. Had they said.. "can you take my dog to get put to sleep, Here's the money..?" I would have gladly done it for them. That poor dog was suffering for a very long time.. I feel so badly for her. I kept her in my room all night and gave her lots of love, I am sure she hasn't had that in awhile.. and she really seemed to know what was happening at the vets office, she kinda seemed very calm about everything, didn't even flinch when they shaved her leg to give her the injections.. or at the injections themselves.

People need to understand that it is never easy losing a family member but in the end it is more cruel to keep them around suffering and in so much pain they cannot move.

:(

I thought of this thread last night. I work in animal rescue and got a call at midnight to go get a dog.. It was surrendered and the paper said the dog was a 12 yr old lab/shepherd mix... I picked her up already in a crate.. took him home.. Very sweet and scared.. But very old.. more like 15 years old.. No use of the back legs, no hearing and practically blind, and definitely in pain. I called the folks that surrendered her and asked why they didn't put her to sleep. There excuse? " My mom just passed away and I couldn't bear the put her down, so I was hoping you would do it." So I took her in this morning to get put down, and then I billed the family. The money spent in rescue puts me in debt every year and it just ticked me off that they were willing to just waste my money. Had they said.. "can you take my dog to get put to sleep, Here's the money..?" I would have gladly done it for them. That poor dog was suffering for a very long time.. I feel so badly for her. I kept her in my room all night and gave her lots of love, I am sure she hasn't had that in awhile.. and she really seemed to know what was happening at the vets office, she kinda seemed very calm about everything, didn't even flinch when they shaved her leg to give her the injections.. or at the injections themselves.

People need to understand that it is never easy losing a family member but in the end it is more cruel to keep them around suffering and in so much pain they cannot move.

:(
That is absolutely heartbreaking. :(

I'm glad he was with someone who loved him, albeit for a short time, at the end. <3

I was going to give the owners the benefit of the doubt for not realizing the extent of his suffering, 'til you repeated what they said. :( That just goes to show you how people have no compassion towards animals when they're no fun anymore.

My mom had to put her dog to sleep when the dog was 16 or 17. She didn't really realize how bad of a condition Penny was in 'cause it was all so gradual. Figured that may have been what happened with this dog... But I think it was just neglect... Poor thing...

I'm glad you billed the family though--People need to realize that when they get a pet, they get it for life: The pet's life. Whenever they get it, to its death, it is their responsibility.

That is absolutely heartbreaking. :(

I'm glad he was with someone who loved him, albeit for a short time, at the end. <3

I was going to give the owners the benefit of the doubt for not realizing the extent of his suffering, 'til you repeated what they said. :( That just goes to show you how people have no compassion towards animals when they're no fun anymore.

My mom had to put her dog to sleep when the dog was 16 or 17. She didn't really realize how bad of a condition Penny was in 'cause it was all so gradual. Figured that may have been what happened with this dog... But I think it was just neglect... Poor thing...

I'm glad you billed the family though--People need to realize that when they get a pet, they get it for life: The pet's life. Whenever they get it, to its death, it is their responsibility.

I have a provision in my will for my pets lol. There big argument was that their mother had died 8 months ago and they just couldn't bear to have another urn next to hers.. Doesn't seem like a reasonable excuse to me.. So have her buried? Or you can opt to leave the body there.. If they really loved the dog they would have done what was right period. It's not cheap.. I don't get a discount most of the time. It cost a little over 200$ to put her down and I was a stranger, she should have been surrounded by loved ones.. not me.

Shoot? No.
Euthanize? Yea.

I was thinking the same thing - not only for my pets but also for sick family members. Death is coming to us all - I personally would not want to suffer, hanging around on a life support machine or be in a vegetative state not knowing who or where I am (and I'm not talking about a Khole) and I have left instructions / DNR if that was to happen.

seems very selfish to just allow an animal which one has cared for their entire life, a domesticated animal whom depends on their person for everything, to be allowed to lay in more pain then we can know - only because we might feel bad is strange to me.

i am not going to sit here and watch my cat suffer, that is crazy for us both, if i could take her life in a humane way that is what would seem best...i would rather us be alone, in nature one last time...then her be in a clinical automated desensitized vet office.

seems very selfish to just allow an animal which one has cared for their entire life, a domesticated animal whom depends on their person for everything, to be allowed to lay in more pain then we can know - only because we might feel bad is strange to me.

i am not going to sit here and watch my cat suffer, that is crazy for us both, if i could take her life in a humane way that is what would seem best...i would rather us be alone, in nature one last time...then her be in a clinical automated desensitized vet office.

I have seen it done both ways, a walk in the woods or behind a barn, and also at the vet's office. I can tell you that the animals that went to the vet's office were in far greater stress through the whole process then a bullet to the head.

I dont see how this is much different to signing the consent form to have them put down to be honest...

I would prefer to have a vet put them to sleep... but if they were really suffering and there was no chance it would get better and no vet then I would do it for sure.

Then I'd cry.

Probably not, that would be too much, I love my dog so much, shes smart as fuck and helps pick up trash on walks and stuff!

I understand it's not cheap, but there should not be a price tag on things like this. It's a testament to our failure as a society that we would give companion animals no recourse, but for the financial well-being of their owners.

gsx, I just want to say that it's great that there are services out there, like yours, where pets can pass painlessly, regardless of their owner's situation. After all, it's not about the owners. It's about the animal in its time of need.

Just saying my uncle shot my 3 yr old red nose pit "gracie" while I was visting my mom in florida when I found out she had stage 3 brest cancer. She was a very nice healthy dog in a chain link pin that was doubled up because she would freaking borrow with her nose thru the crap. It was terrible. I was lost.

Just saying my uncle shot my 3 yr old red nose pit "gracie" while I was visting my mom in florida when I found out she had stage 3 brest cancer. She was a very nice healthy dog in a chain link pin that was doubled up because she would freaking borrow with her nose thru the crap. It was terrible. I was lost.

If there was nothing wrong with the dog and there was no threat to human life here, then your uncle should be drug out into the street and ripped apart. Just sayin.. Poor dog. My big girls name is Gracie too <3 :( Hugs