• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Masculinity and Psychonautics?

If your a psychonaut/user of psychedelics, are you.....

• Male?

Votes: 215 92.3%
  • Female?

Votes: 18 7.7%

• Total voters
He he at "cutting edge of speculation" - & rampant association as well I wouldn't wonder.

Welcome Chelli :)

"
Not my experience - in fact I believe it to be more related to a class/nurture thing. Working class seem to get wised up sooner to some realities than "nice young ladies" from a "good background". (* sweeping generalisation)

So essentially it is our duty to show these types of girls the reality of psychedelics & all the delights that come with that "

i kinda get that.. the whole working thing

This is a fucking good question. Then again of all substances I can think of I know more male users. The exception being cigarettes.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't read this thread sooner. It just took me about an hour but I read the whole thing. Honestly, at parts it was kind of upsetting, some guys seem to have a pretty narrow minded and sexist idea of women (not all of you though, and I apologize to those of you level headed guys who seem to have the right idea...)

I was introduced to psych's by my boyfriend by I don't think that makes my experiences any less legitimate. I am very into self exploration and spirituality and I find psychs great tools for that. I don't just take what my boyfriend gives me, but I have developed my own psychedelic practice. I don't know how many girls you all seem to know, but I know plenty of girls who love tripping. In fact most of my best friends who are girls trip (however none of them are members of a forum).

I am pleased by the number of men who have gotten in touch with their feminine side using psychs. To answer Somekindoflove's question, psychs have helped me get in touch with an inner strength that I guess you could call my masculine side. They have helped me trust myself more and made me into a stronger more empowered woman.

I think in my experience there is a social stigma attached to girls who trip or do drugs. It reminds me of the old double standard that a guy who sleeps around is praised and a woman who does the same is condemned. Thankfully though, I have managed to surround myself with many women that do enjoy self exploration and tripping. There are more of us out there than this thread shows.... I liked the post psood0nym made where he showed the study that men are more likely to be presented with more opportunities to do drugs but that once presented with an opportunity men and women are just as likely to do drugs.

For me there are a lot of woman psychonauts to look up too, like Ann Shulgin or Kathleen Harrison (I wouldn't look up to the neurosoup girl however).

OH and just for good measure, I don't listen to the top 40 hits and I do have my own taste in music!!

Interesting thread here.

I must admit that, although I've definitely met some women who enjoy tripping, most females in my direct surroundings are indeed much less inclined to experiment with psychedelics than the males, even the ones who take a lot of other stuff. Either they are scared of it or they just don't see the appeal, and I can't really think of a good explanation for either...

Another thing I've noticed though (in my own limited personal experience of course, this could be just coincidence) is that girls seem more prone to bad experiences than guys when tripping at a younger age (say 14-18 ). I know several women who were turned off psychedelics for good after having a trip go bad, mostly their first, in those younger years. And even though I know a lot more males who started tripping at that age I can't think of a single one where it turned out like that. Again, this could be mere coincidence, but I've always thought that this was due to girls often being raised/conditioned to be more self-conscious, insecure and afraid of losing control during those years. Maybe this could lead to psychs getting a bad rep among women, persisting though adult life even though these issues are usually resolved by then? Just some thoughts...

On another note, I can definitely relate to all the men saying psychedelics have brought them more in touch with their feminine sides, as I've had similar experiences. It's hard to put my finger on what that means exactly though. One thing I noticed is that on many occasions I've connected exceptionally well with random females when tripping, I could tell both from my own feeling of being able to read them much more clearly and from their reactions.

During one particular trip, something happened that made the whole 'getting in touch with my feminine side' thing extremely real. It was my first really strong acid trip I guess (I accidentally took much more than intended, funny story), and as I was lying somewhere in the grass watching the sun rise, I suddenly began flipping through a whole lot of different personalities (can't think of a better way to explain it) until at some point I felt like I actually was a woman. The flipping stopped, and I was left in that state for what seemed like several minutes. One of the most strange and interesting things I've ever experienced on a psychedelic for sure, and something I will probably never forget...

Last edited:
^Maybe males are more likely to repeat an experience if it went bad; as a way of "conquering" fears, as such?

^The reason I suggested such a thing is because its seen as rather unmanly in our societies to be "afraid" (which it is not at all)- hence, to gain self-approval, us males may feel it neccesary to do something possibly damaging to strengthen reputation.

All in all, I don't think the male psyche is all that well designed for psychedelics, rigid as it can be. But the fact is, that our minds may need the most changing- I mean, I haven't seen/read about many uber violent, power-hungry woman, whereas history is replete with male tryants. Indeed, most violence in the world is a direct result of male agressive instincts- I say instinct, because it appers that males of most species have an inbuilt savagery, and I certainly know that young boys can- so psychedelics may prove more useful to males in allowing one to take a calculated risk, endure controlled trauma, ie. try and defeat our inner fears which too often become external and have a target.

I dunno- I know that in many ways men are "less" then women. I say that as a male too; I see an ability for calm in females that is rare in a man; though ofcourse I've met my share of aggro females too. Its just from my experience, I know psychedelics helped me learn to be less violent, and I was a violent little cunt when younger :\ But, thanks to some confrontations, head-on and violent, with the 'self', I feel less need to display physical aggression. Indeed, I've designed my life so I never really have to employ any force/violence to get by; and I won't forget the pain I've felt and given, so I won't do it again.

yeh... acid makes you into a hippy i guess. ideally, in my opinion.

i find chicks seem to like drugs, and psychedelics, a lot less than guys, because though they are less aggressive perhaps, this also means they are (generally) less exploring and fearless; it's a trade-off i guess.

i definitely agree with the trying to conquer fears... i kept using acid even after my first trip was bad; eventhoughi had "GREAT" trips, that weird traumatic feeling never went away, the only explanation for my repeating it was to conquer some kind of fear.

also , men have more of a weird inner world than females, kind of egotistic life-stories that need boosting with hobbies of various sorts

^ I pretty much agree completely.

I think women are aggressive and sabotaging to each other in very different ways from men, and ways where physical violence or the thread thereof plays a much more minor role. Psychedelics may just be better suited to treating male ego problems than female ego problems, on the average.

Edit: for swilow

^ hard to put into words but yeah love, compassion, mothering, nesting, that sort of thing. not so much a lack of maleness but a union with one's feminine side, one's X chromosome I guess. Nothing in an erotic sense either.

I don't get in touch with my "feminine" side. I think to break it down and divert it to our essence being what the primary gender determining hormone is in our body is ridiculous and demonstrates that we lack a lot of insight into what we are as beings. When I trip I get in touch with me. I at my base as a being of energy, as a small piece to the epic puzzle that is our existence, as a being living within this lower form of existence we call our bodies. I at my root have no sex, our gender is merely something included with this tool we use to maneuver through this reality we perceive with our eyes, to say it means nothing would be wrong but to say it means a great deal would be absurd.

And also though many will probably take it the wrong way I believe this thread has been somewhat diverted into female empowerment hour. I love everybody here male or female but let's not get into the gender-superiority bullshit no matter how politely you speak your words.

Last edited:
In my experience, women aren't any less likely to take drugs, however they are more attracted to the physical sensation. I've known many more girls who were into cocaine or heroin and MDMA than shrooms or LSD. When I take psychedelics I tend to do it alone or with a couple people. I find psychedelics to be a very personal experience that I'm not very willing ot share with others. I don't think I would ever become violent toward others under the influence of psychedelics, but there have definately been times where I was especially in touch with the dark, hunting, animal side of my psyche. Most of the time they ended in me doing things like punching out all the mirrors on the fire extinguisher cabinets all the way up a stairwell in my dorm. I think that females tend to be more social than males and are attracted to drugs that take place in a more social party setting. I am not very trusting of people, especially of females (at least I can admit it), and really the only girls that I even pay attention to are generally more introspective and into psychedelics than others.

As for LSD turning people into hippies, or getting people in touch with their female side, I've become less angry, and I have more self control since trying it. However, I hadn't gotten in a fight, thrown a punch, or shot a gun in a long time before I found LSD. If anything, acid has gotten me more in touch with my masculine side and made me less of a hippie. I've become more like Hunter Thompson than Timothy Leary.

lol...one of those acidheads with a square forehead and a kick-ass, drinking-face straight-staring attitude....

in reality, you are like neither leary or thompson, but a delusional internet acid-nerd :)

...with a very strong feminine side...

lol...one of those acidheads with a square forehead and a kick-ass, drinking-face straight-staring attitude....

in reality, you are like neither leary or thompson, but a delusional internet acid-nerd :)

haha for the lulsz good sir

I at my root have no sex, our gender is merely something included with this tool we use to maneuver through this reality we perceive with our eyes, to say it means nothing would be wrong but to say it means a great deal would be absurd.

I concur!

Seconded, indeed! Couldn't of even said it myself, poor little me with those words. Genius, sir!

orz orz orz

Hmm. I disagree that there is no such thing as gender; but its certainly not what type of genitalia we have. Its one of the most ancient concepts, the difference between the feminine and the masculine; light and dark; white and black; water and fire; whatever and whoever- its an archetypal notion or instinct regarding a true aspect of the world- maybe its also a metaphor for wave and particle. Rough and smooth. Opposites, in other words.

But physically, gender manifests and in humans, it manfests socially. Its a known fact that testosterone increases aggression. It could be said that males are 'tuned' to be violent- but it just so happens that this 'tuning' is currently very disordant/unharmonic. It is not correct, whether it be male heritage or not- thus, tools (also the province of men) are employed to "fix" the problem of the male ego/super ego which insists on strength of somesort.

Miss Swilow isn't intimidated at all by psychedelics; neither is she awed. To her, they simply change something smalL and relatively unimportantl- for me, they've changed everything. At the end of the day though, Miss Swilow is much more grounded and able to cope wih reality then me, more able to accept what simply is and get on with the business of living; so, while I might be making small spiritual gains fr myself, I'm still seething with rage at the nonsense of life on earth. To what end? She is happier, I would think. I've just seen more of things that have stirred me to the core. It frustrates me having to conform to rules/styles/values because, in the end, my ego is still so strong as to find these 'impositions' personally offensive.

So in closing, while psychedelics might remove the ego or do something like that, it comes back- one might say it comes back stronger, as most suppressed energetic things do. Meh. I dunno what I'm talkng about anymore...

Haha, you act like you know me. Have you read more than one of my posts? Is making fun on internet chat boards the only way you can feel good about yourself? Fuck off dude, some of us are trying to contribute to the conversation.

Thank you swillow. I really identify with your statements in the third paragraph:

"At the end of the day though, Miss Swilow is much more grounded and able to cope wih reality then me, more able to accept what simply is and get on with the business of living".

This is what I mean when I say that acid has made me less angry and more in control, but more likely to resort to violence. There was a time in my life where I was very commited to non-violence. I went to peace rallys and waved banners and was very cought up in the sense of community I shared with the people around me. Since trying LSD I have become somewhat disillusioned, feeling manipulated by the peace movement into becoming a defenseless sheep who wouldn't even fight back if his life depended on it. I realized that I didn't need a college degree to pursue the carreer I wanted and left school. I started standing up for myself. Got in a fight or two. Learned a couple good lessons and grew up a lot. Went out and got myself a gun. Would I do it all again? In a heartbeat.