• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom 101 - Useful stuff to know before first try?

Yesterday, I had a very bad experience with Kratom. I took 5 to 7 grams orally, and after an hour my heart felt like it was pounding in my chest, my head felt under strong tension and I almost lost consciousness.

I had to lie down to recover slightly, but basically had a hell of a time for the entire duration of the "high". There was no opioid-like enjoyment there...

After some research, it looks like I had a bad case of tachychardia.

Has anyone felt these effects before?

kratom overdose can be awful. I generally experience it after 10g+ taken within an hour or two.

What's odd to me is it doesn't always happen and seems somewhat unpredictable. I've been using kratom almost daily for 10+ years.

But I usually get mildly to extremely dizzy, have a difficult time breathing*, anxiety, tachychardia, high blood pressure.... but the most notable symptom has always been breathing difficulty. Without any tolerance, add extreme nausea and vertigo.

*this is the most concerning symptom. I feel like I can't catch my breath no matter how much I breathe. But it passes within 2-3 hours after dosing.

I've also taken ridiculously high amounts of pure mitragynine and it doesn't produce some of those symptoms. It's one of the several dozen alkaloids in the plant.

The stimulatory and adrenal properties of mitragynine are often understated.

I've noticed that effect more often with lower quality kratom.

I'm not sure what causes it.

I wish kratom was as well studied and well-genetically-engineered as cannabis is today

yes.

but I've also noticed it with the utmost premium kratom

I have some stuff that is tested at 2.6% total alkaloids, 2.1% mitragynine

and it gave me that reaction after like 8g

I think it is one of the lesser known alkaloids that is guilty of this reaction, it isn't mitragynine itself

I have never had this reaction from any extract, and trust me, during my worst I have taken well over 1000mg of mitragynine per day (extracts)

it is a side-product of the plant that causes it IMO

kratom overdose can be awful. I generally experience it after 10g+ taken within an hour or two.

What's odd to me is it doesn't always happen and seems somewhat unpredictable. I've been using kratom almost daily for 10+ years.

But I usually get mildly to extremely dizzy, have a difficult time breathing*, anxiety, tachychardia, high blood pressure.... but the most notable symptom has always been breathing difficulty. Without any tolerance, add extreme nausea and vertigo.

*this is the most concerning symptom. I feel like I can't catch my breath no matter how much I breathe. But it passes within 2-3 hours after dosing.

I've also taken ridiculously high amounts of pure mitragynine and it doesn't produce some of those symptoms. It's one of the several dozen alkaloids in the plant.

The stimulatory and adrenal properties of mitragynine are often understated.
I also had some limited trouble with breathing, and that seemed to precipitate the anxiety and tachychardia. It scared the shit out of me: out of all the crazy stuff I've done, this puny drug could take me down? I have taken kratom before, but never felt such terrible effects before — I was panicking and thought I might die. Also, despite throwing everything away in the trash yesterday, I had another slight scare today: small bout of tachycardia and anxiety despite not being high at all (on anything).

I have a lot more respect for this plant and shall not consume it in the future — not until I get a better understanding of what happened.

I'm not sure what causes it.

I wish kratom was as well studied and well-genetically-engineered as cannabis is today

I bought my Kratom on a European website, and bought the best quality possible and paid premium for it.

Kratom's effects do seem different based on the supplier, quality, and strands — but not only slightly different, but can be wildly different.

I also had some limited trouble with breathing, and that seemed to precipitate the anxiety and tachychardia. It scared the shit out of me: out of all the crazy stuff I've done, this puny drug could take me down? I have taken kratom before, but never felt such terrible effects before — I was panicking and thought I might die. Also, despite throwing everything away in the trash yesterday, I had another slight scare today: small bout of tachycardia and anxiety despite not being high at all (on anything).

I have a lot more respect for this plant and shall not consume it in the future — not until I get a better understanding of what happened.

I bought my Kratom on a European website, and bought the best quality possible and paid premium for it.

Kratom's effects do seem different based on the supplier, quality, and strands — but not only slightly different, but can be wildly different.
It honestly sounds like you just took too much of a potent/different strain that you weren't used to, and this was compounded by something of a panic attack.

Kratom can have some unpleasant effects when you take too much, that's for sure. Definitely take less next time! I have also experienced terrible nausea and awful effects when I've taken it hungover or under the influence of alcohol, so definitely avoid that combination too!

Yesterday, I had a very bad experience with Kratom. ....Has anyone felt these effects before?
kratom overdose can be awful...
I've noticed that effect more often with lower quality kratom....
It honestly sounds like you just took too much of a potent/different strain that you weren't used to, and this was compounded....

I've been on kratom for over 4 years now.

Early on (when I was still learning about dosage), I sometimes had bad effects if I took too much. Nothing serious, just mild nausea and dizziness-- commonly called "the wobblies." It would pass in 30 minutes or so.

These days it happens rarely and only if I take more than 10 grams at once or within a short time frame, like 6g and another 6g an hour later. It passes in 15 minutes or less.

Yesterday, I had a very bad experience with Kratom. I took 5 to 7 grams orally, and after an hour my heart felt like it was pounding in my chest, my head felt under strong tension and I almost lost consciousness.

I had to lie down to recover slightly, but basically had a hell of a time for the entire duration of the "high". There was no opioid-like enjoyment there...

After some research, it looks like I had a bad case of tachychardia.

Has anyone felt these effects before?

Not with my heart, but just the other week when I had 3-5 grams after a light dinner, I though my stomach will kill me as I was walking my dog. It felt like a brick in my stomach, it was really strange - not even outright painful, just really uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I stared getting the rapid heart rate and anxiety when I tried to taper and used a smaller dose . The high heart rate also was happening during withdraw , it would happen mostly after eating or just randomly, could be adrenaline or cortisol type dumping or panic attack but it's scary . I'm kind of upset I heard about kratom from blue light and everyone made it sound harmless well after 2 years it turned on me . On Reddit there is 1000s of people on the quitting kratom sub going thru bad withdrawals and many health problems . It's poison ! Only use if you have to for a few days to get off harder stuff it's not worth it .! I'm on day 41 cold turkey and still not feeling back to normal . The mental part of the withdraw is like something I never experienced others said it's like withdrawing from anti depressants or benzos..