• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Kratom 101 - Useful stuff to know before first try?

Salem_is_tired

Bluelighter
Hey everyone!

So after starting my shittiest job yet, I decided I could you some extra "help" and kratom already seemed interesting to me, so I thought about buying some. The title basically tells everything :D What are some "good to know" stuffs before the first use? (Ps: Since I have some fuckery whit my heart, does kratom effects or "bad" for the heart? Since I cannot really drink coffee or energy drinks without chest pain, I thought maybe I can get some extra energy by kratom than.)

Thank you! <3

I haven't really read anything about kratom being bad for the heart. Just start with a small dose like just a couple grams max, see how you feel give it some time and then maybe take more. Worst thing that'll happen if you take too much at first is bad nausea and vomiting.

If you're taking straight powder form, I would mix it with some OJ, the citric acid does some of your stomachs job for it and makes it digest easier. If you're taking capsules, they will take longer to kick in.

Here, check this link for some basics too:

Use it once a week only for times you need energy. Use smaller doses for energy, it works great for that. Larger doses are more like an opiate high.

I take Kratom no more than once a week and I use a gram or two. Get's the lawn mowed easily on those days I really don't feel like it.

This may not apply to you but when I first tried it at the recommended dose, I got screaming shits from it. It went in one end and right out the other. I found it extremely bitter and bitter substances can cause diarrhea. Maybe you're OK in that department, but if you have any GI issues I'd suggest starting with a smaller dose to start.

I haven't really read anything about kratom being bad for the heart. Just start with a small dose like just a couple grams max, see how you feel give it some time and then maybe take more. Worst thing that'll happen if you take too much at first is bad nausea and vomiting.

If you're taking straight powder form, I would mix it with some OJ, the citric acid does some of your stomachs job for it and makes it digest easier. If you're taking capsules, they will take longer to kick in.

Here, check this link for some basics too:

Thank you! I will definitely check out that link. And also for the tipp - I planned to use it in shakes or yogurt, but I will get some OJ too.

And taking it everyday can quickly lead to dependence, so I would try and use it sparingly only as needed.

Yeah of course - maybe from the opening sentence it give off the feeling that I plan to use it every day, but actually I only want to take it when I relly feel the need from some extra motivation.

Use it once a week only for times you need energy. Use smaller doses for energy, it works great for that. Larger doses are more like an opiate high.

I take Kratom no more than once a week and I use a gram or two. Get's the lawn mowed easily on those days I really don't feel like it.

Thank you! Yes, I want to use it in the same way, only when I need a bit of extra energy.

This may not apply to you but when I first tried it at the recommended dose, I got screaming shits from it. It went in one end and right out the other. I found it extremely bitter and bitter substances can cause diarrhea. Maybe you're OK in that department, but if you have any GI issues I'd suggest starting with a smaller dose to start.
Thank you! It is hella useful to know actually, my stomach also likes to act up from new or bitter stuffs.

Update:

So I tried red and green so far yet. My back was hurting pretty bad after a few longer shifts, so as soon as I had the package (Tuesday), I tried red. If I remember correctly, I took 4 gr total, 2-2 a few hours between them just to make sure I was not reacting to it badly. It was fine, my mood was overall better and my back was not killing me anymore.

But, oh boy the Green Maeng Da was a bit harder :D
I have the weekend off and wanted to do some creative work, so I mixed around 5 gr in some og. I probably have a low tolerance, since alcohol also goes my head pretty fast. I had in on empty stomach, and the next two hours I felt like I was tipsy, but in the good way - way better mood, interesting feeling in my eyes (I cannot really put it better. You know that feeling when you are starting to feel the alcohol, and suddenly you just "feel" your eyes? Like there is this small pressure in them, and it is not bad or uncomfortable, it is just kinda there.) I think for next time I will put a bit less, since I could not write or do anything really like this, but it was sure a fun feeling.

Start small. Taking too much feels like crap. I know people who started with 10 grams and then got super sick. I think 4g is probably a good place to start. Some people might say 2g but... idk.. I dont think thats enough. But its going to vary from person to person.

If you get heart palpitations from coffee its totally possible you'll get them from Kratom too. But you might not. You'll have to find out for yourself. On that note... maybe starting with 2g isn't such a bad idea. But if it doesn't work, don't go taking another 2g right away, the effect wont be as nice. Wait 24 hours and then try again with 4.

Dont get caught up in strain names. Maeng Da means 0. Also shopping for the best kratom vendor is useless. 80% of the kratom in the US is supplied by the same broker/suppliers/ farmers. Its all the same shit. Strains and vendors. The pharmacology is the same
^^ This. Strain names are all marketing. Some batches are good, some are bad. Thats all it is.

Dont get caught up in strain names. Maeng Da means 0. Also shopping for the best kratom vendor is useless. 80% of the kratom in the US is supplied by the same broker/suppliers/ farmers. Its all the same shit. Strains and vendors. The pharmacology is the same

To be honest, I don't know what is the situation in Hungary regarding brokers/suppliers/farmers - probably the same as in the US? There are a few shops what specialize in kratom in Hungary, and I just randomly picked one. Oh I know - I just wanted to include the "full name" of what I ended up buying, if someone was interested.

Start small. Taking too much feels like crap. I know people who started with 10 grams and then got super sick. I think 4g is probably a good place to start. Some people might say 2g but... idk.. I dont think thats enough. But its going to vary from person to person.

If you get heart palpitations from coffee its totally possible you'll get them from Kratom too. But you might not. You'll have to find out for yourself. On that note... maybe starting with 2g isn't such a bad idea. But if it doesn't work, don't go taking another 2g right away, the effect wont be as nice. Wait 24 hours and then try again with 4.

Oh yes. As I already mentioned, I was a bit more careful with red, and went a bit harder with the green - I could not feel anything really from the 2-2 gr or red, so 4-5 gr of green was the starting point, and it seemed enough to me. It was a strange feeling for sure, but not uncomfortable or painful - my heart was luckily not acting up, neither my stomach, so overall 4 gr is a good start - maybe I will take back a bit for the next time if I actually want to get shit done.

Thank you! Luckily the effects with the red one were not unpleasant even after the second 2 gr - it was nothing really, maybe my back pain was a bit more manageable, but besides that I didn't felt anything really. I will definitely only take 2-3 gr next time - better to be safe than sorry - just to make sure everything is fine.

I'm considering getting some kratom to treat the spikier edges of severe autistic burn out.

I currently use blue lotus in a dynavap dry herb vaporiser, it's pretty effective (more than smoking, more than tea); but the effects can be short-lasting and the come down a little unpleasant.

My worry about kratom is the stimulant-like-effects at lower doses.

I would obviously want to start with lower doses for my own safety but I don't want to experience anything stronger than the stimulation of a cup of decaffinated coffee (yep, decaf coffee, I am so sensitive to caffeine that my upper limit is two cups of decaf coffee).

Is it possible to get sedative effects but still with a reasonably low dose for first use?

I'm considering getting some kratom to treat the spikier edges of severe autistic burn out.

I currently use blue lotus in a dynavap dry herb vaporiser, it's pretty effective (more than smoking, more than tea); but the effects can be short-lasting and the come down a little unpleasant.

My worry about kratom is the stimulant-like-effects at lower doses.

I would obviously want to start with lower doses for my own safety but I don't want to experience anything stronger than the stimulation of a cup of decaffinated coffee (yep, decaf coffee, I am so sensitive to caffeine that my upper limit is two cups of decaf coffee).

Is it possible to get sedative effects but still with a reasonably low dose for first use?
Typically the more stimulating effects are found with lower doses, and more sedating effect with higher doses but its kind of a crap shoot with Kratom its hard to predict.
And yeah... I used to be that sensitive to caffeine. Like I would eat chocolate for a caffeine buzz, seriously. Still am somewhat, even after years of building tolerance I still drink half decaf. If I have too much I'll end up reaching for something I shouldn't to calm myself down >.>

oh wow i never even knew chocolate had caffeine in it! That's some spidey-sense you got there.

Hmm yeah, if it's a 'crap shoot' (I don't fully understand that but I like it and can't think of an equivalent in my dialect) then I'll probably give it a miss, I can't be doing with any stimulants in my life rn.

Actually the blue lotus it turns out is great, right after I posted that my Dad brought me up a cup of redbush tea and it was exactly what I needed. So maybe I was just a little dehydrated. I kept going after that and managed to build a base layer of calmness which gave me a relief I hadn't felt since I last did valium. In fact it's 11.30 in the morning on a Monday right now, I last took a dose around 11pm last night and I can still feel a calmness. Maybe I'll post a thread on it after a bit more use.

My advice is stick with the cheapest and go with greens. I almost solely use what's labeled as Green Maeng Da because it's the most consistent by far. A lot of the reds and bullshit made up strains are barely active and don't keep me well for more than a few hours. I've been using kratom since 2007 and it's all a crock of shit. Don't get caught up in "boutique" sites selling the same thing as the wholesaler for 300% mark up.

To be honest, I don't know what is the situation in Hungary regarding brokers/suppliers/farmers - probably the same as in the US? There are a few shops what specialize in kratom in Hungary, and I just randomly picked one. Oh I know - I just wanted to include the "full name" of what I ended up buying, if someone was interested.
Oh ya EU vendors are still supplied by the SAME Indo guys