Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Over-rated "Classics"

Haven't seen Juno, but ESOTSM is one of my favorite movies. Maybe you just lack a frame of reference for it. Being in a serious relationship might be a prerequisite.

maybe we don't overrate them. maybe you underrate them?

:)

alasdair

The Lord of The Rings movies. Were they okay? I don't know.. I guess. All I can say is I never had any desire to watch any of them again after the first time. Who has time to sit there for that freaking long? No I.

I agree about Juno. I was expecting something.. better. It had its funny moments but I doubt Id watch it again. Annoying soundtrack save a few songs too.

V is for Vendetta. I didn't get into this movie at all. It's the type that would generally be totally up my aisle too. The cheese factor was just way too overpowering for me. :\

MynameisnotDeja said:
I agree about Juno. I was expecting something.. better. It had its funny moments but I doubt Id watch it again. Annoying soundtrack save a few songs too.

SOOO glad I am not the only one with Juno here, it was definitely funny at points but it was mostly just really bad and cheesy dialogue not indicative of actual teen conversation. Hearing such bad dialogue really ruined the film for me and made me sort of hate Ellen Page. I really wish this film would have been better.

and regardless alasdair, tell us your overrated films!

How alasdair has any time for films or television is beyond me. The guy has 25,000 post!!

OP: Them Harry Potter films. Shocked how much the public loves em.

steinanwine said:
and regardless alasdair, tell us your overrated films!
ah, you're asking the wrong guy. aside, i think the terms underrated and overrated are essentially meaningless when discussing art. but that's a separate discussion.

are there movies which many people seemed to like and i did not? i can really only think of a couple of examples.

i'm surprised that people were so delighted by no country for old men. i think it's one of the coen's weaker movies and, in the shadow of there will be blood, i think it's definitely not best picture material.

most people i know seemed to really enjoy a.i. whereas i thought it was awful.

alasdair

I agree with Juno. I liked the movie, quite a bit in fact, but to be nominated for best picture is a huge stretch.

Training Day was also nominated and it's a piece of shit, cock swinging, absurd action flick.

alasdairm said:
most people i know seemed to really enjoy a.i. whereas i thought it was awful.

funny, cuz most people i know hate it and i love it!

alasdairm said:
i'm surprised that people were so delighted by no country for old men. i think it's one of the coen's weaker movies and, in the shadow of there will be blood, i think it's definitely not best picture material.

No Country For Old Men was a very good thriller. But in no way deserved the hoopla it got.
Personally, I thought No Country For Old Men was the weakest movie up for best picture. I thought Atonement and There Will Be Blood were superior movies. Juno deserved it more for its unconventional je ne sais quoi.. OK, I didn't see Michael Clayton but the others were all better than NCFOM.

EA-1475 said:
No Country For Old Men was a very good thriller. But in no way deserved the hoopla it got.
Personally, I thought No Country For Old Men was the weakest movie up for best picture. I thought Atonement and There Will Be Blood were superior movies. Juno deserved it more for its unconventional je ne sais quoi.. OK, I didn't see Michael Clayton but the others were all better than NCFOM.

Oh amen on Atonement and There Will be Blood! I thought NCFOM really didn't stand well in their shadows, I thought Atonement deserved way more recognition, I thought the film was an incredible adaptation of a book I really enjoyed and the actors were really spectacular in capturing the story. But There Will be Blood definitely deserved all its recognition, that movie really stunned me. But I'm glad to hear that others think Atonement deserves a lot of praise.

^ "hey, is this a talkie?" :D

NCFOM is a fucking classic already. You all need to hush up. ;) <3

I was far more impressed with NCFOMs photography than its story, which alone made it far superior than most other films.

Atonement was overrated in my opinion. The story seemed a bit forced.

Another example of the book being better than the movie. Though I loved the movie still. Maybe if you had read the book the story wouldn't seem as forced? Who knows. :)

I really think the book and the film are pretty equal, I also think if you had read the book the story on film wouldn't have seemed forced. But I was just a huge fan of both the book and film so I will NEVER think the film was overrated or even remotely bad. I think in many ways it will end up being a classic like Pride and Prejudice. I also thought James McAvoy did a stunning job of playing Robbie and Saoirse Ronan a phenomenal job of playing young Briony.