• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Over-rated "Classics"

^
You're not alone.

Though I absolutely *love* 2001, I've noticed that it's a movie that people have strong feelings about both ways: you either think it's the greatest space movie ever, or that it's overlong arthouse garbage. I have yet to meet somebody who's lukewarm on it. This debate was bandied about even when it was released, contrary to those who want to think it was welcomed with open arms by the movie critic community.

subdefy said:
I'll probably get flamed for this but 2001: A Space Odyssey is really the basis with which I compare all drawn out, overly slow paced, and exceedingly dull films too. Perhaps I can't see the Genius is Kubrick then again I've only seen 2001 and A Clockwork Orange both of which I didn't enjoy.

Neither are my favorite Kubrick movies, but I still enjoy them. Check out Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove. If you like neither of these, there is no hope for you.

And help you god if anyone puts either of these movies as qualifiers for this thread:X

Dr Strangelove. (seriously!)

and

The Big Lebowski. I have no idea why there's such a fuss about that film, I couldn't wait for it to end. :\

I watched Some Like It Hot for the 1st time this morning and I dont see what the huge deal about Marilyn Monroe was, except she was hot.

I mean, her delivery was so flat and bland with no emphasis and little emotion. It sounded to me like she was just reading her lines like she was reading a book out loud to someone. I dunno, I didnt really care for the movie at all.

felix said:
Dr Strangelove. (seriously!)

and

The Big Lebowski. I have no idea why there's such a fuss about that film, I couldn't wait for it to end. :\

Blasphemy. On both counts.

felix said:

Word. There are much better Tarantino-inspired movies than this one.

i know i should have. i love the coen brothers, and i love kubrick. but those two films did not do it for me at all.

hence this thread. ;)

p.s. i suspect it was my high expectations that fucked things up for me.

TALLY said:
I watched Some Like It Hot for the 1st time this morning and I dont see what the huge deal about Marilyn Monroe was, except she was hot.

I mean, her delivery was so flat and bland with no emphasis and little emotion. It sounded to me like she was just reading her lines like she was reading a book out loud to someone. I dunno, I didnt really care for the movie at all.

She was an awful actress. But really, it was Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon that made that movie great. Then again, Marilyn was the sex goddess of the era, it didn't matter if she could act.

Infernal said:
She was an awful actress. But really, it was Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon that made that movie great. Then again, Marilyn was the sex goddess of the era, it didn't matter if she could act.

I think Marilyn Monroe was the poor man's Jane Mansfield. Jane was a better actress, comedienne, and just as goodlooking.

supertrav77 said:
The Big Lebowski is Tarantino-inspired? How? the Coen Brothers have had their own style since before Reservoir Dogs. it didn't appear to change in Lebowski. but maybe i'm missing something...

Belisarius said:
^
You're not alone.

Though I absolutely *love* 2001, I've noticed that it's a movie that people have strong feelings about both ways: you either think it's the greatest space movie ever, or that it's overlong arthouse garbage. I have yet to meet somebody who's lukewarm on it. This debate was bandied about even when it was released, contrary to those who want to think it was welcomed with open arms by the movie critic community.
I'm rather lukewarm on it. I appreciate it in almost every regard, but overall it's just not very entertaining. Great piece of art; not very wonderful entertainment.

Sorry, but Taxi Driver is not Susceptible to subjectivity. Please reformulate your opinion to factual information.

goatofthenever said:
Sorry, but Taxi Driver is not Susceptible to subjectivity. Please reformulate your opinion to factual information.
Sorry,but this is films that each one of us thinks are overrated. Just because you like it,doesn't make it a classic. I thought it was pretty damn boring myself.
Sonof was just expressing his opinion. He doesn't need to explain hisself.

SonOF said:
Taxi Driver

so sloooow.

I've got your back on this. There are parts of the movie that work, but some of it is just plain retarded.

While I'm on a shit-on streak, though this movie isn't a classic, Dark City is way overrated, and I'm obviously the only person who thinks so. Discuss.

iunno i liked taxi driver for some reason. i love anything set in NY in that time tho.

supertrav77 said:

The two (tarantino, and lebowski) have nothing... nothing to do with one another.

Watch more movies.

Most Overrated Films (that essentially all of society seems to love)

oh merged, overrated films I don't really like ..

Juno and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ... I don't hate these films I just really dont understand them, I just dont get the mass appeal I guess.

Last edited: